Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Closed Thread

Old 23-12-2007, 12:29 PM   #1
Scott

Default Do we matter to Ford?

On the back of the thread about little or no input from Ford to these forums I thought I would start this thread to discuss Private New Car Sales and whether or not you think Ford has an interest in our business.

My perception is that AFF has close to 40,000 members with a distinct interest in the product and the vast majority of those are passionate and loyal supporters of the brand.

It was suggested in that thread that "we are a very little cog in a big wheel" being private buyers and due to that fact, "Ford don't give a flying about us".

Is that true? Is that what Ford think? Is that what AFF'ers think?

So, instead of bogging the other thread down I have started this thread to discuss the role of private buyers in the new car game, AFF's significance (or insignificance) to Ford and to find facts about how other brands interact with their loyal followers in an effort to sure up some fans and the flow on of more private sales.

I've got a bag full of opinions on this but I don't want to start the thread off with my bias so post away and tell us what you think.

ps - This is not a thread for unloading personal gripes, it is here to discuss our place in the FoMoCo machine, its future and its past.

Old 23-12-2007, 12:31 PM   #2
Kryton

do we matter to Ford?
NO, we dont.
big business and fleet buyers matter, but we dont.
we're just the kids that went to the corner shop to buy $1 mixed lollies.
Old 23-12-2007, 12:56 PM   #3
Jeeepers
Merry Xmas To All

Do we matter? Hell no. We are merely pixels in the profit and loss screen of life.
Old 23-12-2007, 01:09 PM   #4
Geez Louise
Awesome

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: All the behind the scenes things that help the community. 

I own a Toyota Rav4. The reason I bought it was because Toyota were the friendliest bunch and actually talked the same to me as they would a "man" buying a car (not being sexiest but you all know they talk to "the little lady" about how pretty a car is not the engine capacity or km's per litre) They also gave us a sweet deal on the price!

In the 4 years that I have had my car, I get at least one letter a month from Toyota, letters to remind me my car service is due and followup calls after my car service.

The next car I buy will be another Toyota. They even gave me advice about buying a secondhand car out of the paper or wherever and told me what to look for. Even said if I didn't want to buy it through them, to bring it down and they would check it over and tell me if it was a good buy or not.

That is my experience dealing with Toyota and reading the support or "lack" thereof that Ford give to the consumer..I doubt I will be buying another Ford in the near future!

That's my 2 cents!
Old 23-12-2007, 01:16 PM   #5
Jeeepers
Merry Xmas To All

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geez Louise
I own a Toyota Rav4. The reason I bought it was because Toyota were the friendliest bunch and actually talked the same to me as they would a "man" buying a car (not being sexiest but you all know they talk to "the little lady" about how pretty a car is not the engine capacity or km's per litre) They also gave us a sweet deal on the price!

In the 4 years that I have had my car, I get at least one letter a month from Toyota, letters to remind me my car service is due and followup calls after my car service.

The next car I buy will be another Toyota. They even gave me advice about buying a secondhand car out of the paper or wherever and told me what to look for. Even said if I didn't want to buy it through them, to bring it down and they would check it over and tell me if it was a good buy or not.

That is my experience dealing with Toyota and reading the support or "lack" thereof that Ford give to the consumer..I doubt I will be buying another Ford in the near future!

That's my 2 cents!
We have a Toyota Celica '04 in the stable too. And I totally agree. Letter of service reminder, courtesy calls after service to see if we have complaints. All good. From Ford? Nothing.
Old 23-12-2007, 01:50 PM   #6
theunfairadvant

Toyota & Lexus are the best in service.
Old 23-12-2007, 01:56 PM   #7
Scott

Whilst customer service obviously plays a role selling cars and maintaining the brand, my query with this thread more revolves around whether or not, or how much, Ford value the sales made to the private sector which includes a very large group such as this forum.
Old 23-12-2007, 02:08 PM   #8
Powdered Toast Man
Professional Mouse Jockey

They must have a bit of interest because if all they were after are fleet sales I doubt they would bother with XR6Ts and XR8s. These are more aimed at the private buyer.

But yeah the dealers dont care too much. But my Ford dealer (where I bought my second hand car) actually phones me up near when my service is due and askes me if I want to book it in. So some do have good customer relations skills.

But I know what you mean about Toyota. When I was still living with the folks in a different town to where I am now, I once went to the local Toyota dealer on one of their sale days, recorded my name on something somewhere and then started receiving invitations to see new releases etc. But then my local Ford dealer where I was getting my previous Ford serviced used to do similar, but I was in their books. I had never bought a car from either.

Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana. Groucho Marx
Old 23-12-2007, 02:24 PM   #9
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Matter very little, but it shouldn't be that way.

The forum, in general, can be defined as the core customers; people who will buy the product regardless (to a degree).
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Old 23-12-2007, 02:27 PM   #10
rodderz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geez Louise

That's my 2 cents!
I spose it's a lot like other business in a way, word of mouth can be one of the best forms of advertising (and free), but negative word of mouth can be just as harmful and has the opposite effect.

If customer service issues were improved, so would sales. They need to create a name in that the customer/dealer relationship is a good one. There's nothing wrong with the product, its the service.
Old 23-12-2007, 02:36 PM   #11
wodahs
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTP006
It was suggested in that thread that "we are a very little cog in a big wheel" being private buyers and due to that fact, "Ford don't give a flying about us".
they should and need to
big business and fleet buyers carsend up in the private sector .
and where a large amount dont end up with new cars from ford they do from the chance over from fleets but wont if there is a better product out there
and fleet buyers work on resale not just the original purchase

rebuilding the zh fairlane with a clevo 400m 4v heads injected whipple blown with aode 4 speed trans to a 9" ....... we'll get there eventually

just remember don't be afraid to try something new.
Remember, amateurs built the Ark...Professionals built the Titanic!

I have taken up meditation... at least it's better than sitting around doing nothing !!
Old 23-12-2007, 02:51 PM   #12
Falcon_Crazy
PX3 WildTrak & RTV

Fleet market - heard of Novated leases people - its BIG business with more and more folk now choosing their own vehicle rather than the "fleet Manager".

I know people in Ford and they DO listen. For years, I have provided feedback directly to them an they respond well. Ok we have a forum and there may not be too much interest from Ford posting here, but do not think they do not read it.

If you want to provide product input, put it down in writing and send direct to Ford or perhaps we should formally invite Ford (if we have not already) participate in the forum.

Thats my Sunday arvo input - time for the pub
BA Falcon RTV - Project Ute 265,000km
Sold PXII Ranger XLT Cool White. 105,000
Sold PX Ranger XLT in cool white, 151,700km on clock.
Sold FGII XR6T Ute LTD Edition in Kinetic.
Sold FG XR6 Ute
Sold BA Falcon RTV. 251,300km.Was a great mate for last 7 years

Sold AUII XLS Ute
Sold '85 XF & Crashed 84 XF
Old 23-12-2007, 02:54 PM   #13
Geez Louise
Awesome

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: All the behind the scenes things that help the community. 

Quote:
Whilst customer service obviously plays a role selling cars and maintaining the brand, my query with this thread more revolves around whether or not, or how much, Ford value the sales made to the private sector which includes a very large group such as this forum.
I understand your point and in my opinion, if Ford Motor Co. had any interest in the "Consumer" then it would support sites like this and value the comments and contributions that members put on threads.

But customer service and marketing is a huge part of the car business...and IMO Ford is truely lacking in this regard! So do they care about us?? I would say no!
Old 23-12-2007, 03:03 PM   #14
Paxton
Cobblers!

They do listen and read our feedback, but they don't show the slightest interest.

In the Territory Forums, we whinged, moaned and groaned about the position of the clock in the TS and Ghia. Recently, when Ford re-priced and re-optioned the Territory, they moved the clock. It now sits in the ICC, not with the sunglasses holder.

I prefer it where it is in my SX. This is my only example where Ford have listened to our feedback.
Roses are red. Violets are blue. OS X rocks. Homage to you.
Old 23-12-2007, 03:22 PM   #15
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paxton
They do listen and read our feedback, but they don't show the slightest interest.

In the Territory Forums, we whinged, moaned and groaned about the position of the clock in the TS and Ghia. Recently, when Ford re-priced and re-optioned the Territory, they moved the clock. It now sits in the ICC, not with the sunglasses holder.

I prefer it where it is in my SX. This is my only example where Ford have listened to our feedback.
It was done for cost cutting, plain and simple. Would save a dollar or 2 per car, cause they have been on a big mission to reduce costs. The fact that most people didn't like it where it was was just a added bonus.
Old 23-12-2007, 04:04 PM   #16
Serial_Fool
Whipper Snappa

NO, we don't matter to Ford because the majority of the car owners here are second hand car owners.
Old 23-12-2007, 04:15 PM   #17
burnz
VFII SS UTE

Quote:
ford/holden sale very much depend on dealership,RE: gezze louise "post"
40% of all sales are private.
and yes ford does value your purchase but fail's to listen to your problem's
for with the dealer is not forwarding. i suspect
Old 23-12-2007, 04:18 PM   #18
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

They're interested in you if you're looking to buy a new car..
Ford would be happy if all cars disintegrated after 4 years so you had to go buy a new one.
They have no interest in secondhand cars or resale value.

Old 23-12-2007, 04:43 PM   #19
RIPGMH
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Its a business, they exist to make money. If providing good customer service is identified as crucial to business sustainibility then you will matter to them. If they ran it like some kind of warm fuzzy clubhouse they probably wouldn't be here today.
Old 23-12-2007, 04:48 PM   #20
fmc351
let it burn

As said its poor business practice if they just ignore 2nd hand purchasers.

If a brand new purchaser knows that Ford dont care about the 2nd owner, it makes the car harder to sell when you want to upgrade. If that were so, Id look at a company that does not have that reputation. I want it gone for good dollars respective of the condition when I want it gone, not later rather than sooner, at a very disadvantaged price just to offload it.
Old 23-12-2007, 04:50 PM   #21
fmc351
let it burn

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Vman
Ford would be happy if all cars disintegrated after 4 years so you had to go buy a new one.
They have no interest in secondhand cars or resale value.
Yeah, but if the Commodore lasts 7 yrs, then Ford is gonna disappear pretty damn quick with that attitude. Or have to sell at 4/7 the price of a new Commodore. If they did that they may as well admit they are sub-par, and Holden make the better car.

I mean, we arent talking a cheap TV here.
Old 23-12-2007, 04:53 PM   #22
Powdered Toast Man
Professional Mouse Jockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Vman
Modern ones do don't they? Some disintegrate after 6 months

Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana. Groucho Marx
Old 23-12-2007, 04:58 PM   #23
Bucknaked
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Does McDonalds care about it's customers? Do banks care about their customers?

I'm not sure I understand the concept of being loyal to big business. Especially when your paying them $$$$, and then you continue to give the $$$$. They have no loyalty to us, why should we be any different. After all, they have your money, they aint paying you.
Old 23-12-2007, 05:24 PM   #24
Rodp
Regular Schmuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucknaked
Does McDonalds care about it's customers? Do banks care about their customers?

I'm not sure I understand the concept of being loyal to big business. Especially when your paying them $$$$, and then you continue to give the $$$$. They have no loyalty to us, why should we be any different. After all, they have your money, they aint paying you.
Precisely. My next car isn't automatically a Ford. I'm biased towards them but I'm not going to part with $45k just because of a badge.

The Mondeo looks like a beaut car and the turbo version is high on my must see when I'm about to buy again list.

However, the servicing leaves a lot to be desired. I was charged for a reco on my handbrake ($150) during its warrany period because adjustments in prior servicing made it work for a couple of weeks. The reco made no difference. I had to kick and scream to have my aircon fixed under warranty (after it had just expired) because it was a 2 day job and the last 3 times I had taken it in for service they complained that they didn't have enough time to complete the job so they 'will do it next service'.

So right now the Mondeo will have to be streets above any other manufacturer I'm considering to offset the lousy vehicle servicing that I've experienced.

Btw, Ultratune adjusted my handbrake about 3 months ago (without even having to ask them) for no additional charge and it's better than it's even been.
Old 23-12-2007, 05:45 PM   #25
MNM96
LIFELONG DJR SUPPORTER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodp

However, the servicing leaves a lot to be desired. I was charged for a reco on my handbrake ($150) during its warrany period because adjustments in prior servicing made it work for a couple of weeks. The reco made no difference. I had to kick and scream to have my aircon fixed under warranty (after it had just expired) because it was a 2 day job and the last 3 times I had taken it in for service they complained that they didn't have enough time to complete the job so they 'will do it next service'.

Btw, Ultratune adjusted my handbrake about 3 months ago (without even having to ask them) for no additional charge and it's better than it's even been.
This is not 'wholly' Fords fault. When I had a drama with my car under warranty, I booked it in for repair and recieved a loaner. When it was repaired, I picked it up. If it wasn't correct, I returned and demanded satisfaction.
If you don't have the nuts to do the same......

However, Ford should ensure their 'Customers' are treated properly by their 'Dealers'!
Old 23-12-2007, 05:49 PM   #26
Ives
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by ORSMT
We have a Toyota Celica '04 in the stable too. And I totally agree. Letter of service reminder, courtesy calls after service to see if we have complaints. All good. From Ford? Nothing.
I actually got a letter of service reminder from the dealer I bought the car from... but I service it at another Ford dealer. That and some surveys :/
Old 23-12-2007, 05:59 PM   #27
Geez Louise
Awesome

One other comment about Ford and when it comes to second hand cars...We bought our son a TF Cortina and it was having a few issues.

I rang up Ford service and said I needed a new "Ticker Box" (Thats what me and mates have always called it! We did grow up in the 70's!) It took 4 calls to 4 different Ford service centres before one of the old service guys got on the phone and said "Love, you mean a flasher unit" Yes..the indicators were not working! Up to that point not one of them had an interest in why we bought the car or what condition it was in cept this guy! and he spent over 30 minutes on the phone to me.

Sorry...maybe a bit off topic...or maybe I was just having a blonde day!
Old 23-12-2007, 06:16 PM   #28
Green X
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

If all 40,000 of us brought a new Ford every 3-4 years then yes what we have to say would mean something more than it does, But when you got someone who owes a AU paying out something about a BF2 Falcon why should Ford give a **** about what is said.

If you get 40,000 people with New fords, with 15,000 of those with XR's or FPV all saying Oil pump gears should be upgraded then Ford would probably take some notes of it

I brought a new Ford in 2007 and it will probably be my last new Ford for at lest 6-7 years before i will have the cash to chuck at a new one. my next car will be a Ford but will likely be a second hand one to the likes of a GT or something, The BF Turbo will be kept for a minimum of 4 years, so even thou i own 2 fords and will continue to own Ford's the reality is they will not be replaced regularly and new car's will be unlikely so i am small potatoes to em .

Cheers.

Last edited by Green X; 23-12-2007 at 06:22 PM.
Old 23-12-2007, 06:17 PM   #29
Interceptor
HSV - I just ate one!

in a nutshell, they couldnt care less about the enthusiast buyer, nor could they care about any other buyers once they've made the original sale
Old 23-12-2007, 06:36 PM   #30
Orbit
Resident Nyctophobic!!

wow don't we get all wound up!

Shouldn't a car be bought on it's merrits?
Buy the best car for the money your willing to spend at the time. No fed back is stronger then declining sales.