Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 09-03-2010, 01:24 AM   #1
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Distracted drivers are dangerous

Well I am truly amazed. Finally a road safety campaign that is not "stealth tax" orientated.

Videos showing average ordinary people doing things that they probably did not realise was actually dangerous.

No attempt to marginalise any particular group so "it is them not us".

No attempt to justify another increase in tax cameras.

Just a simple message, it does not matter who you are, being distracted while driving is dangerous.

We need more of this type of thing. Good job.

Here for life campaign

flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-03-2010, 01:31 AM   #2
DoreSlamR
Fiat POWAAH!

Agreed.

But where do we draw the line?

Obviously talking on your mobile is illegal and considered dangerous, so what about operating the radio?

Is sitting back talking with one hand to your ear more dangerous than leaning forward trying to insert a CD or press buttons?
Old 09-03-2010, 01:36 AM   #3
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoreSlamR
Agreed.

Obviously talking on your mobile is illegal and considered dangerous, so what about operating the radio?

Is sitting back talking with one hand to your ear more dangerous than leaning forward trying to insert a CD or press buttons?
Well I believe it is not the "illegal" point they are attempting to get across rather the "be careful it is easy to get into trouble if you are distracted" message.

Many older drivers have already learned that lesson, some the hard way, but others have not and I think it is better to see a near head on prang on TV than through your windscreen.
Old 09-03-2010, 02:19 AM   #4
Iggypoppin'
Chasing a FORD project!

so many times I have changed cds in my 6 stacker. It's only a split second of a distraction but it could mean the difference between life or death. So too my electronic seat controls, cruise control, passengers, food, drink, lighting a cigarette, etc. And I don't even think when I'm doing either thing! Wow. That is a message that has gotten through. Well done Aus Gov. I am listening now
Game. Reinvented.

1996 BMW 740iL V8. TV, phone, leather, sunroof, satnav, all as standard. Now with 19" TSW Brooklands, 2 1/2" stainless steel exhaust, plus more coming soon.
Iggypoppin' is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-03-2010, 07:57 AM   #5
Trevor 57
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I have been saying for years and years, that driver distraction is the single biggest issue in road safety.

I know some Governments are moving on it, but it is not the Government job, it is our job NOT to be distracted by driving.

Biggest distractors IMO:
* Mobile phones (and NOT holding them to your head, by just simply talking TO them).
* GPS
* Adjusting car radios / MP3's, stereos, etc.
* Passengers
* Eating while driving
* Car controls, crusie, etc.

There is far too much going on outside the car for drivers to be distracted, but MOST drivers don't get it.
Trevor 57 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-03-2010, 08:04 AM   #6
seduced_xr
BF XR6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Trev
I have been saying for years and years, that driver distraction is the single biggest issue in road safety.

I know some Governments are moving on it, but it is not the Government job, it is our job NOT to be distracted by driving.

Biggest distractors IMO:
* Mobile phones (and NOT holding them to your head, by just simply talking TO them).
* GPS
* Adjusting car radios / MP3's, stereos, etc.
* Passengers
* Eating while driving
* Car controls, crusie, etc.

There is far too much going on outside the car for drivers to be distracted, but MOST drivers don't get it.

hmmm thats not good then... i do all of those things youve listed above :P, although ive noticed touch screen phones are worse then button phones when ur driving.
BA Falcon XR6 [JS92WA]in Winter White, 6 Speed ZF - BF Tail Lights, Pacemaker Twin 2.5" catback DBA Gold Series Rotors, 5% tint >>ITS BACK - The REBUILD IS ON, BF 2 Ghia 3v V8 5.4L, Full Fairmont Ghia Interior with FPV GTP seats,Boss Bonnet,BF Front End, DJR 302 Rear Wing, BF steering Column with BF ignition and FG keys, <<

2010 FG Falcon XR6 [XRLNT] in Lightning Strike, 6 Speed Auto - 15% Tint, Ipod, Bluetooth, Climate Control, custom plates, DJR 302 Wing
seduced_xr is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-03-2010, 08:05 AM   #7
Trevor 57
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by seduced_xr
ive noticed touch screen phones are worse then button phones when ur driving.
Well, here is a tip for you, don't touch it
Old 09-03-2010, 08:29 AM   #8
deesun
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

A great initiative, it should be Federal though so the campaign is national. Phones are I believe the most distracting and should be first targeted with further adds highlighting the other main distractions ie GPS etc.
Old 09-03-2010, 08:56 AM   #9
ltd
Force Fed Fords

I always find idiots with a great big GPS stuck directly in their line of vision tend to be some of the most thoughtless behind the wheel; often they'll stop, turn or do whatever in a flow of traffic because their GPS's told them to. These people are passively apathetic, and would make perfect assassins. They hear a random voice and they obey. How hard would it be instead of: "Make a U-Turn" to change it to: "Kill such and such".
Let's not forget the mobile phone users. The problem is that some people possess such lackadaisical motor skills (no, not driving a car skill the ability to coordinate their bodies) that once on the phone and concentrating on their conversations they become useless behind the wheel. They slow down, they swerve and then they don't indicate a damned thing. These people deserve to be factory workers. Instead of giving them a fine, give them 12 months in a factory in China. It takes a long time to learn how to be good at something such as driving whilst being distracted, most drivers struggle just to concentrate on one thing at a time; probably nothing we can do as a society about it short of selective breeding. :

Quote:
Powered by GE
ltd is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-03-2010, 09:08 AM   #10
Jason[98.EL]
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

This is the type of adds that should be shown in all states of australia right now

Good find flappist

Jason

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Jason[98.EL] is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-03-2010, 09:09 AM   #11
3vXT

Quote:
Originally Posted by ltd
These people are passively apathetic, and would make perfect assassins. They hear a random voice and they obey. How hard would it be instead of: "Make a U-Turn" to change it to: "Kill such and such".
I think the Mossad is working with TomTom to come up with something.
3vXT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-03-2010, 09:16 AM   #12
ltd
Force Fed Fords

Quote:
Originally Posted by ken2903
I think the Mossad is working with TomTom to come up with something.
Ha ha, that or; "Turn right in 200 metres, followed by a Kill the infidel, kill the infidel in 400 metres". :

Quote:
Powered by GE
ltd is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-03-2010, 09:37 AM   #13
LTDHO
The one and only

There are a lot going on now than 15 years ago.
Now there are phones and GPS.
In saying that GPS should never be touched onre the journey begins.
Phones should never be used whilst the vehicle is being driven. Hands free or not.

Honestly who can drive whilst talking on a phone and actually concentrate on thr road?
Anyone who answers yes is full of ****.
Other cars include Dynamic ED Sprint, Dynamic DL LTD, Sparkling Burgundy DL LTD, Yellow, Red & Blue XB sedan & Black XB Coupe
LTDHO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-03-2010, 10:19 AM   #14
geckoGT
Ich bin ein auslander

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always level headed and i notice him being the voice of reason when a thread may be getting heated 

Great ads, I hope they make a difference.

Only last night I went to a guy that had pulled into a servo, filled up and then as he was pulling onto a major 3 lane road he was putting his wallet away (god knows why he could not put it away before he moved). End result was he pulled his tiny little hatch back out into the path of a semi trailer with a big bull bar traveling at 80 km/h. His rear bumper is now where his rear passenger footwell was. The impact was so great it punted him about 40m from point of impact and pushed the bull bar on the truck back about 10cm.

The other one was a driver traveling at 80 km/h had a lapse in concentration, swerved left, hit the concrete barrier and bounced off, veered across 3 lanes and hit the concrete barrier on the right. End result is the front bumper is now hard up against the firewall and the whole floor and roof is kinked. Her first comment was "I wasn't on my mobile, my tyre blew", yeah right.

Thankfully all occupants survived with no severe injuries.
Old 09-03-2010, 01:00 PM   #15
Trevor 57
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by LTDHO
There are a lot going on now than 15 years ago.
Now there are phones and GPS.
In saying that GPS should never be touched onre the journey begins.
Phones should never be used whilst the vehicle is being driven. Hands free or not.

Honestly who can drive whilst talking on a phone and actually concentrate on thr road?
I agree 100% - well said
Old 09-03-2010, 02:01 PM   #16
Auslandau
335 - STILL THE BOSS ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoreSlamR
Agreed.

They had adds in Vic very simular on all those little distracting things .... changing the CD, Playing with the radio, talking on mobile etc. I thought they were good but now gone back to justifying speed camera's through Speedster Bob!

| [/url] |

101,436 MEMBERS ......... 101,436 OPINIONS ..... What could possibly go wrong!

Clevo Mafia
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Auslandau is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-03-2010, 02:09 PM   #17
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by LTDHO
Can you carry on a conversation with a passenger while driving?

Can you listen to talk back radio or music while driving?

Can you look around at the surrounding area for kids, animals or whatever that may possibly go onto the road?

If not then maybe you don't have the skills necessary to control a motor vehicle in the 21st century.

How is talking on a hands free telephone different to talking to a passenger?

And more importantly why is talking on a CB radio that REQUIRES one hand to operate while driving "safe"?
Old 09-03-2010, 03:01 PM   #18
castellan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I know a dude who has to look at you when he is talking and driving.
I say watch the f ing road.
But he recons i am rude. because i don't look back at him when i am talking and driving.
I have seen people driving along and turing around talking and looking at some one in the back seat.
And how many times have ya seen a mother argue and try to slap a kid when driving.
People develop these bad habits.
Maybe a road safety campaign may help some.
castellan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-03-2010, 03:03 PM   #19
sgt_doofey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auslandau
They had adds in Vic very simular on all those little distracting things ....
I reckon I've seen them before here in SA as well.
Old 09-03-2010, 03:06 PM   #20
deesun
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

^^^^ None of these things are safe but some are worse than others. Talking on your mobile is more of a distraction than many of the above. And it's not as important as many people make it out to be. It's just one more distraction.
Old 09-03-2010, 03:22 PM   #21
DJR-351
I am Groot
Donating Member3

Great stuff, get them on the tv and keep them there....

And while there at it, a few adds about driving to the prevailing conditions, eg: the bloody idiots still clapping along at 110kmh or more on the Bruce Hwy in the blinding rain we had last week, i was lucky if i could see more than 50m in front of me at times, yet these fools were carrying on as though it was a bright sunshiney day....then again they where probably to distracted to notice....

"Those were the days when the cars were cars, they weren't built out of an Ikea pack like they are now and clothed in plastic; they were real cars." John Bowe
DJR-351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-03-2010, 03:48 PM   #22
Chopped
as in chopped

This sounds funny but I'm serious >

Perving is hardly ever mentioned as a distraction.

Watch how many guys (me included sometimes ) will perve whilst driving .
Looking at chicks on the side of the road, sitting at bus stops, in cars, on push bikes (esp behind!), Sexy Billboard Ads etc.

I wonder how many have had/caused an accident because of this fact.
Old 09-03-2010, 03:53 PM   #23
geckoGT
Ich bin ein auslander

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always level headed and i notice him being the voice of reason when a thread may be getting heated 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chopped
This sounds funny but I'm serious >

Perving is hardly ever mentioned as a distraction.

Watch how many guys (me included sometimes ) will perve whilst driving .
Looking at chicks on the side of the road, sitting at bus stops, in cars, on push bikes (esp behind!), Sexy Billboard Ads etc.

I wonder how many have had/caused an accident because of this fact.

I know!

I don't know how many times, driving through the South Bank area, I have almost driven off the road.

The sight of that Porsche, Lambo or Ferrari will do it every time, I have to perve.
Old 09-03-2010, 04:05 PM   #24
eMpTy
Low, Loud & Black

Very true, Chopped.
I remember nearly running up the back of another car at a set of lights after passing a stationary car in the lane next to me and seeing 2 girls having a good old snog.
I was 17 at the time and couldn't peel my eyes off them. Luckily someone blew their horn, caught my attention and I pulled up just short of the car in front.

Good to see a road safety campaign that doesn't involve public servants hiding behind bushes with speed cameras.
eMpTy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-03-2010, 04:15 PM   #25
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by geckoGT
I know!

I don't know how many times, driving through the South Bank area, I have almost driven off the road.

The sight of that Porsche, Lambo or Ferrari will do it every time, I have to perve.
Yeh Yeh, you bloody coward, just because the Pink Ute Princess reads this too.
The sight of other things with nicely curved bodies is a bit closer to the truth.

And I also have a "known associate" who cannot talk to you without looking at you.
He has crashed several cars by running off the road and had many more near misses (one with me in the passenger seat). I do not get in any car he is driving now.
Old 09-03-2010, 04:44 PM   #26
BigAL_250
and that's how it is

Well, that's why I love my BA so much, I can change from radio to CD's, change track, disc, and volume, and operate all the cruise controls without taking a hand off the wheel. Every car should have this.
BigAL_250 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-03-2010, 05:00 PM   #27
Auslandau
335 - STILL THE BOSS ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by deesun
^^^^ None of these things are safe but some are worse than others. Talking on your mobile is more of a distraction than many of the above. And it's not as important as many people make it out to be. It's just one more distraction.
Don't know whats worse .... for some that cannot multitask 2 things ..... ie: Walk and talk without falling over.

My worst accident was in a 3 day old car trying to work out what the buttons on the radio do ..... didnt even brake at 80k's up the bum of someone. Meanwhile I have had mobile phones since the days of the cord running into the console ..... at least you don't need to take your eyes of the road with a phone in your ear in comparison to finding and changing the CD!

I have been with someone who slows to near walking pace when on the phone, freeway included ...... and thats with bluetooth! Rules are there to save us from stupidity .... unfortunately you cannot legislate against stupidity!

| [/url] |

101,436 MEMBERS ......... 101,436 OPINIONS ..... What could possibly go wrong!

Clevo Mafia
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Last edited by Auslandau; 09-03-2010 at 05:17 PM.
Auslandau is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-03-2010, 05:24 PM   #28
deesun
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Yep I ran up the bum of someone whilst looking at the local Ford dealers stock. oops.
Old 09-03-2010, 05:55 PM   #29
Falcon Coupe
Clevo Mafia Inc.

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF over an extended period of time. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Your tireless efforts behind the scenes in keeping AFF the place it is. 

Very good adds, they missed one of my favourites though, people who cannot talk to their passenger without looking at them.
Falcon Coupe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-03-2010, 07:31 PM   #30
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Hmmm, I think she was a distracted driver.

http://theage.drive.com.au/motor-new...0309-ptbw.html

Quote:
Driver’s close shave
MATT CAMPBELL
March 9, 2010 - 9:23AM

Woman crashes car while tending to her bikini line.

A woman has crashed her car while shaving her bikini line.

According to a report on news website KeyNews.com, a 37-year-old woman crashed her Ford Thunderbird into the back of a Chevrolet pick-up truck while trimming her pubic hair.

Megan Mariah Barnes was allegedly travelling with her ex-husband Charles Judy on her way to visit her boyfriend and reportedly needed to tidy up her personal area, so Judy took hold of the steering wheel while Barnes attended to her bikini line.

The car then crashed into the back of the Chevrolet truck while travelling at about 70km/h.

But the story doesn’t end there.

The pair then drove up the road and swapped seats, and when Florida Highway Patrol officer Gary Dunick got to the scene, the pair claimed that Judy was driving. But officer Dunick wasn’t fooled.

A CBS report claims the officer noticed passenger airbag burns on the chest of the man in the driver’s seat, and that the driver’s airbag didn’t deploy.

Barnes shouldn’t have been in the driver’s seat in the first place (let alone with razor in hand). According to the CBS report, Barnes had been driving with a suspended license, just a day after being convicted of driving under the influence. She was sentenced to nine months of probation, and her license was revoked for five years.

CBS reports that Barnes is now charged with reckless driving, driving unlicensed, fleeing the scene of a crash, and driving uninsured, and she may face a year in jail for violation of her probation terms.