Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Closed Thread

Old 16-02-2010, 06:57 PM   #61
Iggypoppin'
Chasing a FORD project!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kezzer
Ok, so 0.2 difference ain't that much. I stand corrected

Were did you get the figure for the 1/4 mile times?

Aurion (A6) 0 - 100 kph in 7.5 sec / 0 - 400 metres in 15.5 sec from an article not that long ago, the VE got 14.6 / 0 -400m, and the xr6 got 14.8 / 0-400m.

You were comparing engines... The alloytec SIDI is the better engine, we weren't talking about curb wieght! The fact that the commodore weighs more then the aurion, yet still beats it down the 1/4 really shows this. And the SV6 is downtuned!! Theres a graph floating around of a complete stock SV6 pulling 174rwkw.

So, either the earth isn't round, or you're wrong. The Alloytec at the moment is the better NA 6.

fire up young son! like i tried to explain before, who in their right mind buys an aurion for out and out performance?? you know, quoting numbers that come from the factory(not from you and your mate at WSID or heefcut) doesnt "prove" any argument you may have to make. if you go down to a drag strip, flog an aurion and flog a VE 3.6, any number of factors could make the aurion a faster car, or the VE, or the whatever else is there racing at the time.

as for the 3.6 being the best n/a 6 around at present? defend yourself boy! this is a ford forum where the ford 6 is pretty much a God, and has already proven itself agaisnt its competitors. please don't for the love of god quote wheels or motor or anything, to prove a 3.6 "beats" it. having a few kw(paper kw) more than the falcon and some qtr mile times 2/10ths of a second faster don't make me want to jump into an SV6 and go hunting falcons.
Game. Reinvented.

1996 BMW 740iL V8. TV, phone, leather, sunroof, satnav, all as standard. Now with 19" TSW Brooklands, 2 1/2" stainless steel exhaust, plus more coming soon.
Old 16-02-2010, 07:07 PM   #62
kezzer

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNR8D
Better... in comparision to what? Horse drawn carriage?... still has worse fuel consumption than both aurion and falcon and is owned by the falcon by almost 50NM... so better is a matter of very SUBJECTIVE opinion ;).

but its more.....
Yeah and the falcon owns the Aurion by almost 70nm!! I'm not comparing the FG and VE, im comparing the VE against the Aurion. You said:
Quote:
there is no way, while this earth is round that the commodore has a better V6 than the aurion.
The alloytec has more power, torque and displacment.
But falls behind abit on claimed 'ADR figures', you would be lucky to see the difference in the real world anyway. I'm sorry, but in most aspects, when talking about performance the SV6 leaves the SX6 for dead.

And as i said before, this is with a downtuned motor, 230kw, and close to 380nm of torque is what the camaro 3.6l is pushing.

Give me an FG over both of them though.
Old 16-02-2010, 07:12 PM   #63
kezzer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iggypoppin'
fire up young son! like i tried to explain before, who in their right mind buys an aurion for out and out performance?? you know, quoting numbers that come from the factory(not from you and your mate at WSID or heefcut) doesnt "prove" any argument you may have to make. if you go down to a drag strip, flog an aurion and flog a VE 3.6, any number of factors could make the aurion a faster car, or the VE, or the whatever else is there racing at the time.

as for the 3.6 being the best n/a 6 around at present? defend yourself boy! this is a ford forum where the ford 6 is pretty much a God, and has already proven itself agaisnt its competitors. please don't for the love of god quote wheels or motor or anything, to prove a 3.6 "beats" it. having a few kw(paper kw) more than the falcon and some qtr mile times 2/10ths of a second faster don't make me want to jump into an SV6 and go hunting falcons.
Hey sorry i wasn't clear, I didn't say the 3.6l was better then the 4.0l. Ford has the best performance six around, especially with a turbo thrown into the works!! I've been in all three cars and the FG is definetly the best, followed by the VE, then Aurion, in my opinion anyway.

I agree with what your saying otherwise, but factory figures is all I have at the moment, true that alot of aspects can influence a 1/4 mile time, you get freaks and lemons from every car brand.
Old 16-02-2010, 07:35 PM   #64
UNR8D
FORMER T3 OWNER

Kezzer, look up lexus is350 and then get back to me if you want to argue about performance figures of the DI alloytec vs the DI 3.5V6 ;).

and Kez to be OT, the OP has an ATX not a SX6 so to compare apples with apples, omega vs ATX.

200kw > 190kw
336nm > 290nm

end result, one understeers into the first tree and the other one as as much forward momentum as a pullback and release car from a 90's toy collection.

you can sleep in your car, but you cant drift your house...
Old 16-02-2010, 07:46 PM   #65
kezzer

Quote:
Kezzer, look up lexus is350 and then get back to me if you want to argue about performance figures of the DI alloytec vs the DI 3.5V6 ;).

and Kez to be OT, the OP has an ATX not a SX6 so to compare apples with apples, omega vs ATX.

200kw > 190kw
336nm > 290nm

end result, one understeers into the first tree and the other one as as much forward momentum as a pullback and release car from a 90's toy collection.
And the price difference??

The omega competes more with the camry 4 pots, as they are both fleet orientated, the 3.0l wasn't made as a performance 6, and by all reports its a piece of ********, so not really concerned with that motor.

EDIT: looked it up, it has the same specs basically as the DI alloytec in the camaro's. Just more expensive I would say.

Last edited by kezzer; 16-02-2010 at 07:53 PM.
Old 16-02-2010, 07:50 PM   #66
geckoGT
Ich bin ein auslander

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always level headed and i notice him being the voice of reason when a thread may be getting heated 

Quote:

Were did you get the figure for the 1/4 mile times?

Aurion (A6) 0 - 100 kph in 7.5 sec / 0 - 400 metres in 15.5 sec from an article not that long ago, the VE got 14.6 / 0 -400m, and the xr6 got 14.8 / 0-400m.

Wheels new car guide Feb 2010

Aurion- 0-100 = 6.8, 400m = 14.8
Commodore Omega- 0-100 = 8.7, 400m = 16.4
Commodore SV6 not listed
Falcon XT-0-100 = 7.3, 400m = 15.3
Falcon XR6- 0-100 = 7.5, 400m = 15.4

Top Gear Australia January 2010

Aurion- 0-100 = 7.4
Commodore Omega- not listed
Commodore SV6 not listed
Falcon XT-not listed
Falcon XR6- not listed

Motor Feb 2010

Aurion- 0-100 = 6.8, 400m = 14.8
Commodore Omega- not listed
Commodore SV6- 0-100 = 6.4, 400m = 14.6
Falcon XT- not listed
Falcon XR6- 0-100 = 6.8, 400m = 14.9

These were all auto as this is the most common trans in this market, they all have that option and it allows good comparison. The Aurion was the base spec, which is why I included base spec of the others, the volume sellers of this market.

Seems to me you should be checking your sources. All you have proved is magazines are crap for comparison figures. I would go with a timed result from the 1/4 over magazine figures. As a good comparison, UNR8D got a 14.6 @ Willowbank in a Aurion, my BA XR8 auto stock with 40,000km on it got 14.5 at the same track. That Aurion is no slouch.

It seems to me that the aurion, despite being FWD, is not slow in acceleration and easily competitive with the others.
Old 16-02-2010, 07:51 PM   #67
UNR8D
FORMER T3 OWNER

Quote:
And the price difference??
Are you sure you really want to keep argueing this?

$39,990 RRP omega

$35,990 RRP ATX

ERRR NO.

Old 16-02-2010, 07:54 PM   #68
kezzer

Quote:
Are you sure you really want to keep argueing this?

$39,990 RRP omega

$35,990 RRP ATX

ERRR NO.
ERRRR lexus im talking about...

anyway, my comparison was the 3.6l against the 3.5l, you said no way in hell the commodore would have the better engine, in which case, you are wrong, the VE wieghs more, but from what ive seen, beats the aurion. The alloytec in the aurion with rwd would be a weapon, or the VE wieghing 100-200kg less would also be a weapon.
Old 16-02-2010, 07:58 PM   #69
cosmo20btt
Fordaholic

Quote:
ERRRR lexus im talking about...

ERR YES
So Kezzer do you really want to put a calais V up against the Lexus is350 as they are the near equivalent of each other?
Old 16-02-2010, 07:59 PM   #70
UNR8D
FORMER T3 OWNER

err yes your wrong?...

do you just pick and choose your argument's? and change them half way through so you can try and confuse who ever it is into just giving up?.

ATX competes with XT and Omega, RRP is cheaper on the ATX than the omega, so your WRONG in saying it competes with the 4 pot Camry's.

OP has an ATX, and compared the omega the ATX owns it in every way but ADR claimed fuel consumption...

do you just like digging holes kezzer? or do you just like arguing for the sake of it no matter how wrong you are?

Old 16-02-2010, 08:00 PM   #71
kezzer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cosmo20btt
So Kezzer do you really want to put a calais V up against the Lexus is350 as they are the near equivalent of each other?
Since when did I say that?? He's comparing the lexus to the sv6, not me...
And im not comparing it to the calais anyway, but if I was, give me the V8 anyday.
Old 16-02-2010, 08:01 PM   #72
kezzer

Quote:
err yes your wrong?...

do you just pick and choose your argument's? and change them half way through so you can try and confuse who ever it is into just giving up?.

ATX competes with XT and Omega, RRP is cheaper on the ATX than the omega, so your WRONG in saying it competes with the 4 pot Camry's.

OP has an ATX, and compared the omega the ATX owns it in every way but ADR claimed fuel consumption...

do you just like digging holes kezzer? or do you just like arguing for the sake of it no matter how wrong you are?
Quote:
there is no way, while this earth is round that the commodore has a better V6 than the aurion.
Hey mate, your wrong. I was comparing the SV6, now that you can't keep arguing the 3.5l is the better engine, you go to the omega, which ive already acknowldged has a piece of crap 3.0l engine, give up already, stop trying to bait.
Old 16-02-2010, 08:03 PM   #73
UNR8D
FORMER T3 OWNER

Quote:
Kezzer, look up lexus is350 and then get back to me if you want to argue about performance figures of the DI alloytec vs the DI 3.5V6
is in reply to

Quote:
And as i said before, this is with a downtuned motor, 230kw, and close to 380nm of torque is what the camaro 3.6l is pushing.
just so we understand eachother.

Old 16-02-2010, 08:07 PM   #74
cosmo20btt
Fordaholic

Quote:
Since when did I say that?? He's comparing the lexus to the sv6, not me...
And im not comparing it to the calais anyway, but if I was, give me the V8 anyday.
I am talking v6 Calais not V8 Calias.
Old 16-02-2010, 08:07 PM   #75
kezzer

Quote:
is in reply to

just so we understand eachother.
Power: 228 kW , 306 HP SAE @ 6,400 rpm; 277 ft lb , 376 Nm @ 4,800 rpm

so basically the same motor. The lexus would be more refined, and probably put the power down alot better.

Quote:
I am talking v6 Calais not V8 Calias.
Why? The V8 and is350 aren't that far apart in price, if your talking performance, get the V8.

Anyway, ill leave it there, before I get banned lol, I dont mind the aurion, I just would never buy one. Sorry if I wasn't clear in some of my posts.
Old 16-02-2010, 08:08 PM   #76
UNR8D
FORMER T3 OWNER

Quote:
Hey mate, your wrong. I was comparing the SV6, now that you can't keep arguing the 3.5l is the better engine, you go to the omega, which ive already acknowldged has a piece of crap 3.0l engine, give up already, stop trying to bait.
why would you compare an SV6 to an ATX?

I'm not baiting, I'm stating a fact, of which Ive stated alot of here in comparison to your ..... i dont even know what your trying to argue anymore...

stock vs stock

atx vs omega which is what the OP HAS
the aurion has the better drivetrain package.

and the world is still round so im right

Old 16-02-2010, 08:17 PM   #77
kezzer

Quote:
atx vs omega which is what the OP HAS
the aurion has the better drivetrain package.

and the world is still round so im right
Well I'll agree with that, but your post wasn't that specific, you said 'commodore' and 'aurion', then the magic number '6'.

The 3.0l is meant to be good on fuel and thats it. I don't like it at all, but can understand why some people might buy it. Even if I think its a pos.
Old 16-02-2010, 08:18 PM   #78
cosmo20btt
Fordaholic

Quote:
Power: 228 kW , 306 HP SAE @ 6,400 rpm; 277 ft lb , 376 Nm @ 4,800 rpm

so basically the same motor. The lexus would be more refined, and probably put the power down alot better.

Why? The V8 and is350 aren't that far apart in price, if your talking performance, get the V8.

Anyway, ill leave it there, before I get banned lol, I dont mind the aurion, I just would never buy one. Sorry if I wasn't clear in some of my posts.
I think what some on here are trying to say is, compare cars in there comparisons eg: Mazda 3 base model versus Corolla in it's base model, not drag one model on that has a similar power to weight to justify your case, hence apples for apples, not oranges for apples.
Hate to see you get another red cookie :evil3:
Old 16-02-2010, 08:21 PM   #79
UNR8D
FORMER T3 OWNER

^^ what he said.

Old 16-02-2010, 08:22 PM   #80
kezzer

Quote:
I think what some on here are trying to say is, compare cars in there comparisons eg: Mazda 3 base model versus Corolla in it's base model, not drag one model on that has a similar power to weight to justify your case, hence apples for apples, not oranges for apples.
fair enough, I'll agree, the atx and sx6 share the same motor thou, and probably have similiar 1/4mile times, so a comparison to the sv6, (similiar powered motor) is an alright comparison, Holden just make things difficult with their stupid engine line ups.
Old 16-02-2010, 08:26 PM   #81
cosmo20btt
Fordaholic

Quote:
fair enough, I'll agree, the atx and sx6 share the same motor thou, and probably have similiar 1/4mile times, so a comparison to the sv6, (similiar powered motor) is an alright comparison, Holden just make things difficult with their stupid engine line ups.
But by your own wording would you not put the sv6 up against the Sportivo?
Sorry did not realize sx6 was sportivo, however they do run different chips & wheel sizes, can make quite a difference.

Last edited by cosmo20btt; 16-02-2010 at 08:33 PM.
Old 16-02-2010, 08:26 PM   #82
Iggypoppin'
Chasing a FORD project!

Edit: should have read ahead.

I'm going to hold my toungue on this subject from now on, as it's too big a can of worms for me to join in.
Game. Reinvented.

1996 BMW 740iL V8. TV, phone, leather, sunroof, satnav, all as standard. Now with 19" TSW Brooklands, 2 1/2" stainless steel exhaust, plus more coming soon.
Old 16-02-2010, 08:29 PM   #83
kezzer

EDIT: fair enough iggy
Old 16-02-2010, 08:35 PM   #84
rick'o
Car Slut

The mrs has one as her company car.

I like it for its easy nature. It ain't gonna win a slalom, but it's pretty impressive as a daily.

Fwiw, they lifted the donk and auto from their cousins at Lexus. It's a smooooth package.
Old 16-02-2010, 08:42 PM   #85
FalconXR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

What a tiring read...

I would love to try the new Lotus Evora with the Aurion V6 + manual tranny + RWD.
Old 16-02-2010, 08:44 PM   #86
galaxy xr8
Giddy up.

I have had a few Aurion's as hire car's, one of them was the sport version,
I found them all to be very nice vehicles to drive, the engine is nice and torqey for what it is, steering direct and sharp, the only thing I didn't like was the front wheel drive but apart from that all round not a bad drive.
Old 16-02-2010, 09:00 PM   #87
mrbaxr6t
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Question

most confusing thread ever what the hell are you guys comparing to what again? I lost track somewhere used:used:used:

Holden special vehicles - for special people
Old 16-02-2010, 09:02 PM   #88
geckoGT
Ich bin ein auslander

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always level headed and i notice him being the voice of reason when a thread may be getting heated 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbaxr6t
most confusing thread ever what the hell are you guys comparing to what again? I lost track somewhere used:used:used:
When you find out, can you let me know?
Old 16-02-2010, 09:15 PM   #89
UNR8D
FORMER T3 OWNER

LOL i tried and failed to bring it back OT in the last couple of threads but yea... sorry for the OT rants earlier, wasn't intended...

wait, I lie.. I don't like loosing arguments ;)

Old 16-02-2010, 09:22 PM   #90
Poetic Justice
NOT A TOYOTA :/

On comparing the SX6 and SV6, you'd still make a good argument for the SX6. That being the only problem is it's a front wheel drive.

Advantages:
$3300 cheaper on RRP
Tare mass is a little lighter
9.9l/100km (versus 10.1 - though I bet the Aurion does a better job of achieving its quoted figure than the GM)
6 stack CD player standard
Full size spare
Climate control aircon
iPod/USB jacks
Reverse camera
$130/3yr/60,000km capped servicing...

And not to mention, I will sell you one well under 40k too :P
Closed Thread