Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 16-03-2011, 09:30 PM   #1
SM1DY
LIKE A BOSS 351

Default Return of the 351...could it be???

2013 Ford Mustang Shelby GT500 details emerge

http://www.stangnet.com/2011/03/15/2...ils/#more-4140

Quote:
Well, we all know that Ford is not one to stop within the R&D and product promotion arenas, so it’s no surprise the ground pounding photographers are catching glimpses of the forthcoming 2013 Shelby GT500. What’s most exciting is the GT500 could prospectively pump out well over 600 horsepower. Carroll, do we need a name change on aisle 5? Perhaps…

Many sources are pointing to the fact the trusty supercharged 5.4-liter V8 will be bolstered to 5.8-liters (whoa, 351!) and the Eaton M112 will make its curtain call, leaving room for the next-gen TVS unit while providing more power, less noise, and more efficiency overall.

Ford’s not really playing with matches here; rather, a blow torch. The current release found in the 2012 Shelby GT500 pumps out an incredible 550hp, shreds to 60 in 4 seconds flat, and easily floats in the low 12s when stripping the 1320.

Along with the changes to the power plant, Ford is also seeking to update the body styling to become more modern-esque by kicking some of the retro throwbacks and gravitating toward tech. LED lighting, interior updates, and a new suspension on the live rear axle are just a few hot improvements upon this year’s tech found on the Shelby GT500.

So, with a price tag rumored to be around $60K and some marked improvements, will you put your name on the list for one?
Could a 351 V8 once again live under the hood of a Falcon? If so, it may be the perfect send off for this Aussie icon before it is (likely) replaced by a foreign invader.

Makes for a good read, and it's fun to speculate

SM1DY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-03-2011, 09:48 PM   #2
HULK EF
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Return of the 351...could it be???

didnt that 5.4 engine get killed off due to not being able to meet emmisions on a decent budget?

Having invested in 40 million in the new 5.0 litre i couldnt see them going back to the old engine..
HULK EF is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-03-2011, 09:58 PM   #3
kinksta
Luxojet

I don't see why they don't just twin supercharge the 5.0 to get the 351kw easily.....makes sense to me ;)
kinksta is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-03-2011, 11:45 PM   #4
blownv8au
Pro Street Au Ute

why? In the last streetfords mag they had stock 335 gt's putting out nearly that at the wheels.
blownv8au is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-03-2011, 04:10 AM   #5
FPV GTHO
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Sharing his knowledge of performance exhaust setups for the NA 6 cyc Barra Falcon from BA to FG. 

I'm taking this and all the other articles reporting the news with a grain of salt at the moment. Heres why:

1. One article is reporting the extra displacement will come from boring the 5.4 as opposed to further stroking. I can see this as feasible given the 5L cammer engines having an increased bore, but i'd question if the subsequent weaker cylinder walls would be adequate for the increased forces from the higher power motor.

2. They're reporting this for the 2013 model year, which will be on sale 1-2 years before the heavily updated 50th anniversary model. They're saying though this will lose some of the retro themes as well as some other changes. Have they gotten confused with what tech could possibly go into the 50th anniversary model or are they expecting the current MY10 based model to be sent off with a bang?

3. This article makes that throw away line about changing the name of the GT500. Are they serious, or just trying to make a joke?

4. 400cc and a more efficient supercharger will no doubt produce the extra power, but is it really needed? Could the new supercharger not produce the extra alone? Is the current package unable to pass durability tests at a higher rating?
FPV GTHO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-03-2011, 06:40 AM   #6
chevypower
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by kinksta
I don't see why they don't just twin supercharge the 5.0 to get the 351kw easily.....makes sense to me ;)
1. The 5.0 doesn't need to be supercharged to get 351kw.
2. 351kw has nothing to do with 351 cubic inches (or the original 351 V8), you may as well be saying the Hyundai Sonata 4 cyl engine has 351 parts, therefore it is a 351... I mean come on, who cares if it's not a real 351?

The engine that Ford builds today that is closest to the 351, is the new 6.2. It shares the same bore, and has a little bit longer stroke. Though I don't think would be the best way to go. Personally, I think Ford should just add direct injection and twin turbos to the 5.0, and call it a day.
chevypower is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-03-2011, 10:11 AM   #7
kinksta
Luxojet

I said 351kw because those are the numbers we hear here in Australia more commonly.

My post wasn't too serious, I mean really, a twin superchager in a stock car? Interesting.
Old 17-03-2011, 07:31 PM   #8
SM1DY
LIKE A BOSS 351

It would mean more to the purist if the 351 badge returned and was in relation to the 5.8L displacement, having this number represent power rather than displacement is just a show trick. I'm letting my mind run wild with the possibilities of a N/A version of the 351 returning, it's just more fun that way.
Old 17-03-2011, 08:07 PM   #9
XD 351 Ute
Excessive Fuel Ingestion

+ 1 for the cubes......

Ed
Old 17-03-2011, 08:27 PM   #10
Buntz
Straight Eight

Yeah... cubes are better. Is this an increase in displacement of the all alloy 5.4?
Buntz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-03-2011, 08:30 PM   #11
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevypower
1. The 5.0 doesn't need to be supercharged to get 351kw.
2. 351kw has nothing to do with 351 cubic inches (or the original 351 V8), you may as well be saying the Hyundai Sonata 4 cyl engine has 351 parts, therefore it is a 351... I mean come on, who cares if it's not a real 351?

The engine that Ford builds today that is closest to the 351, is the new 6.2. It shares the same bore, and has a little bit longer stroke. Though I don't think would be the best way to go. Personally, I think Ford should just add direct injection and twin turbos to the 5.0, and call it a day.
The closest thing Ford Australia currently builds to a 351 Cleverland is the N/A I6, everything else is FAR more powerful.......
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-03-2011, 08:32 PM   #12
RAREV8
Previously ScottishXC

Quote:
Originally Posted by kinksta
I said 351kw because those are the numbers we hear here in Australia more commonly.

My post wasn't too serious, I mean really, a twin superchager in a stock car? Interesting.
351ci not KW......its displacement not power over here maybe I'm showing my age

EDIT: I wish my 351's (5.8l) had 351 kw too!

BJ
Gilesie
XAGTCoupe
Pilch
Aussie_afroman
Donut King
Bad Boy Benny
BAWITHLOT
Greenmachine
Pinkbits
CUZ351
OhioXB
Falconunbelievable
4VXC
Uncleraggy

FG G6 Ego, tech pack, Tropic gold 1973 Landau, Cosmic blue 1975 P5 LTD....long term project
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Vman
Im just bored of the single/narrow minded...
RAREV8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-03-2011, 08:55 PM   #13
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Won't the 5.4 go out of production soon?

I know the iron block truck 5.4's have already, so why would Ford bother increasing the capacity of a soon to be dead engine.

The GT500 will get a Coyote derived engine at some point surely, supercharged most likely. It will have too, they won't continue with the 5.4 forever, especially with the 5.0 and 6.2 already in production and a generation newer.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-03-2011, 08:56 PM   #14
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by SM1DY
2013 Ford Mustang Shelby GT500 details emerge

http://www.stangnet.com/2011/03/15/2...ils/#more-4140

Could a 351 V8 once again live under the hood of a Falcon? If so, it may be the perfect send off for this Aussie icon before it is (likely) replaced by a foreign invader.

Makes for a good read, and it's fun to speculate
FPV already ditched the 5.4, why would they re-fit another version of it now?
Old 17-03-2011, 09:24 PM   #15
Buntz
Straight Eight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8
The GT500 will get a Coyote derived engine at some point surely, supercharged most likely. It will have too, they won't continue with the 5.4 forever, especially with the 5.0 and 6.2 already in production and a generation newer.
Definitely the 5.0L. It's the best car purposed V8 in production. The 6.2 is a less desirable SOHC per bank with 2 valves per cylinder.

Im not sure if they've reached the limit of natural aspiration from it already as the compression ratio's are pretty high. But that's for running on American coconut water as oppopsed to our rooty fruity jungle juice.

My best guess would be bigger heads... increased bore and stroke. Failing that. EcoBoost that thing with two turbo's. That's a sure way to increase horsepower.
Old 17-03-2011, 09:30 PM   #16
kinksta
Luxojet

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAREV8
351ci not KW......its displacement not power over here maybe I'm showing my age

EDIT: I wish my 351's (5.8l) had 351 kw too!
I know the original 351 was ci, but in this day and age I think it would be in kw. That is what I meant.
Old 17-03-2011, 09:34 PM   #17
XD 351 Ute
Excessive Fuel Ingestion

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist
The closest thing Ford Australia currently builds to a 351 Cleverland is the N/A I6, everything else is FAR more powerful.......
Heh, that may be true, but just imagine what the Clevo would be doing these days if they threw cams and fuel injection at it? And a couple of turbos......

Ed
Old 17-03-2011, 09:56 PM   #18
SM1DY
LIKE A BOSS 351

Quote:
FPV already ditched the 5.4, why would they re-fit another version of it now?
Who said anything about FPV??? That would be absurb given the potential that Miami has, any attempt to incorporate and S/C 351 into the line-up would just be overkill, it may even result in this being a off the shelf crate engine. And as people have mentioned, the death of the Falcon could mean the life of the Mustang in Australia, along with its GT500 cousin.
Old 17-03-2011, 09:58 PM   #19
Buntz
Straight Eight

Quote:
Who said anything about FPV??? That would be absurb given the potential that Miami has, any attempt to incorporate and S/C 351 into the line-up would just be overkill, it may even result in this being a off the shelf crate engine. And as people have mentioned, the death of the Falcon could mean the life of the Mustang in Australia, along with its GT500 cousin.
In a country that likes it's muscle and performance cars to have some practicality. i.e. Four Doors.
Old 17-03-2011, 10:38 PM   #20
mrghia
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i thought the new 5l had a 5.8l version as well?
mrghia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-03-2011, 10:45 PM   #21
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrghia
i thought the new 5l had a 5.8l version as well?
Nah that was just a rumour. It had several power levels though.

The big deal (IMO) will be a direct injection Coyote in the coming years if it is feasible...

1970 XW Falcon GT replica | 1970 XW Falcon | 1971 XY Fairmont | 1973 ZG Fairlane | 1986 XF Falcon panel van | 1987 XFII Falcon S-Pack | 1988 XF Falcon GLS ute | 1993 EBII Fairmont V8 | 1996 XG Falcon ute | 2000 AU Falcon wagon | 2004 BA Falcon XT | 2012 SZ Territory Titanium AWD

Proud to buy Australian and support Ford Australia through thick and thin
Road_Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-03-2011, 11:22 PM   #22
mrghia
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

fair enough. What about the twin turbo version apparently getting designed
mrghia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-03-2011, 12:01 AM   #23
CAT600
I miss my wheelbarrow
Donating Member3

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out fellow AFF members... Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Daniels knowledge of modular engines and superchargers is extremely valuable to the AFF community. I have learnt quite a bit just reading his build threads. His contributions are often utilised by other members. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by FPV GTHO
1. One article is reporting the extra displacement will come from boring the 5.4 as opposed to further stroking. I can see this as feasible given the 5L cammer engines having an increased bore, but i'd question if the subsequent weaker cylinder walls would be adequate for the increased forces from the higher power motor..........
The Honsel PTWA process means that there is no cast iron sleeve present in the block. As a result the rate of heat transfer is much better and subsequently the alloy wall can be made much thicker than traditional sleeved alloy blocks have been. GTWS blocks have 0.172" thickness at the thinnest point where the PTWA block in 2012 GT500's is 0.320" at the thinnest point... if you take 0.074" off that { (3.700"-3.552")/2 = 0.074" ** you still end up with a wall that is roughly 0.250" thick...... still more than the 0.172" that the GT/GTWS block has.

I am confident that a 3.700" bore GT500 is not only feasable, but probable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevypower
.........The engine that Ford builds today that is closest to the 351, is the new 6.2. It shares the same bore, and has a little bit longer stroke. Though I don't think would be the best way to go. Personally, I think Ford should just add direct injection and twin turbos to the 5.0, and call it a day.
The 6.2L as found in the Raptor and Superduty is nothing like the Modular as far as dimensions go.

It uses a 115mm bore spacing (Modular is 100mm) and the 6.2L Bore is 4.02" compared to Modular 3.552"..... the 6.2L only has a 3.74" throw crank compared to the 5.4L Mod's 4.165"

Daniel

Last edited by CAT600; 18-03-2011 at 12:11 AM.
CAT600 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-03-2011, 12:22 AM   #24
FPV GTHO
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Sharing his knowledge of performance exhaust setups for the NA 6 cyc Barra Falcon from BA to FG. 

I still think if theres any changes its likely just to be the new blower. I dont see any new displacement engines. The 5.4 is an orphan and the 5L still needs to make its bacon from F150 sales, so i think a new derivative of either engine would be a big ask unless its going to be used on a large scale.
Old 18-03-2011, 12:37 AM   #25
Falc'man
You dig, we stick!

And for how long have a I had this signature?.?

" ... 3.3... 4.1... 4.9... ?.?... "
Old 18-03-2011, 12:47 AM   #26
CAT600
I miss my wheelbarrow
Donating Member3

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out fellow AFF members... Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Daniels knowledge of modular engines and superchargers is extremely valuable to the AFF community. I have learnt quite a bit just reading his build threads. His contributions are often utilised by other members. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falc'man
And for how long have a I had this signature?.?

" ... 3.3... 4.1... 4.9... ?.?... "
Yep that's right, you were the first on AFF to call it.

Any word on if the "Supercondor" will be called GT500 or Boss351 Youssef?....

Daniel
CAT600 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-03-2011, 01:06 AM   #27
Falc'man
You dig, we stick!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAT600
Yep that's right, you were the first on AFF to call it.

Any word on if the "Supercondor" will be called GT500 or Boss351 Youssef?....

Daniel
No eye dear but most likely the former to keep in line with current product placing and intended purpose. It looks like the Boss moniker is more for the track than outright power like what this and it's recent predecessors have?

I don't care what they call it; just make it RHD!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 18-03-2011, 11:22 PM   #28
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Did you read the OP?

It asked could we see the return of the 351 under the bonnet of the Falcon.
Old 19-03-2011, 01:24 AM   #29
SM1DY
LIKE A BOSS 351

Quote:
Did you read the OP?

It asked could we see the return of the 351 under the bonnet of the Falcon.
Of course I read it, I posted it. I thought it would be a gooden for the Falcon or XR8. FPV don't need a new V8, but Ford could take advantage of it at the end of the Falcon's lifeline as a send off for the Falcon.
Old 19-03-2011, 01:32 AM   #30
FPV GTHO
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

But then why would FPV and Ford send themselves down different development paths?