Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 17-04-2011, 03:37 PM   #1
david lee
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default boot lid water leak

has anyone got a problem with the boot lid gathering water when it pours rain. my au xr6 does and cannot see how its getting in.the boot is sealing on the rubber.any help would be appreciated.thanks.

david lee is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-04-2011, 05:30 PM   #2
Beer Baron
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: boot lid water leak

Water can get in where the spoiler mounts to the boot if you have one.
Beer Baron is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-04-2011, 08:39 PM   #3
ronwest
All Bran = Regular Member

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by david lee
the boot is sealing on the rubber
I looked high and low when mine was leaking. Silicon-ed this and that etc. Water tested with s-i-l in the boot with a torch and so on.

It wasn't until I replaced my boot rubber that the leaking stopped.
ronwest is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-04-2011, 08:48 AM   #4
baz

Happened to me, was the spoiler, screws were a bit loose.
baz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-04-2011, 11:09 AM   #5
EATHSV
Oo---oO

My spoiler too, someone painted them and ruined the rubber seals.

Successful transactions with the following members:
Ride, Raised by Monkeys, TICK4D-TAS, Falcman007, 2002AU, JC.
EATHSV is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-04-2011, 07:44 PM   #6
2002au
Define definitive

mine leaks a little too, ill check it out tomorrow. thinking it may be the spoiler screws
BF F6 TYPHOON in NEO #718 ~ 356rwkw :
BF XR6 TURBO in SILHOUETTE
2002au is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-04-2011, 05:56 PM   #7
baz

Its just about always the spoiler screws, what I did was take out screw one at a time and push silicon up as far as possible then put silicon on end of screw and replace. fixed mine.
baz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-04-2011, 06:27 PM   #8
GK
Walking with God

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

1. Used silicone on the number plate screws (inside and outside)

Still had some water.

2. Boot seal replaces = a big step forward.

Still had some though, but now in a different spot.

3. Siliconed the hinge bolts that hold the boot on.

Still had a bit.

4. Siliconed the rubber grommet that weatherproofs the wiring that goes from inside the car into the boot area. The one on the right hand side.

Voila! Success. No more water.

If all that fails, then I'd say it's the spoiler screw rubbers.

All the best with it.

GK

2015 Kia Sorento Platinum - Snow White Pearl

2001 Ducati Monster 900Sie - Red

Now gone!
1999 AU1 Futura Wagon - Sparkling Burgundy
On LPG

Want a Full Life? John 10:10
GK is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 19-04-2011, 10:46 PM   #9
Beer Baron
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Mine leaked between a metal join near the strut mount. Cost me about $2 worth of sealant to fix.
Beer Baron is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-04-2011, 10:56 PM   #10
Silver Ghia
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: As Silver Ghia his contributions to the AU and BA technical areas have been of high quality and valuable to the member base. 

Firstly, the rubber grommets at the bottom of the bootlid effectively seals the drainholes there. In my BA Ghia, I used a punch to make holes in the side of each of the two grommets to allow water out. I then sprayed fishoil inside there to stop rusting. You could also just remove the grommets.

With regard to the spoiler, I dispensed with the soft foam type rubber seals that are under the spoiler posts, and replaced then with a suitable thickness solid rubber from Clark Rubber, cutting out gaskets to fit inside the recesses at the bottom of the posts. Fitting the gaskets with a light coat of neutral cure silastic effectively seals the spoiler holes.
Never had any water leakage after doing that.
Silver Ghia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-11-2014, 07:20 PM   #11
Kerberos

Hi there, it's an old thread, I know, but my 2006 falcon sedan takes in water when it rains, then when one opens the boot the water pours in. How is it only getting into the lid and how does one fix this?

Can you please make a couple of photos so I can understand where to seal to avoid the water getting in?
Kerberos is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-11-2014, 11:25 PM   #12
commodorenutt
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

If you don't have a spoiler, check the fasteners for the trim panel above the number plate - it's basically the only other penetration (apart from the number plate screws) that could leak water into the bootlid itself..
commodorenutt is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-11-2014, 11:38 PM   #13
Kerberos

I have the spoiler. Do you think it might be the main reason? How do I seal it? From inside or outside? I find it difficult to get the water inside the lid through the number plate. The trim panel is the plastic behind the number plate, isn't it? Well, I don't have it at all.
Old 25-11-2014, 11:52 PM   #14
commodorenutt
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The advice for the spoiler has been posted further up.
The trim panel I'm talking about houses the number plate lights. It's fastened to the boot through a number of holes. If you look inside the boot frame when the lid is up you can see where the wiring goes out to that panel, and where it's fasteners are.
commodorenutt is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-11-2014, 12:32 AM   #15
Kerberos

Ok I got you. From your description though, it's impossible to get the water inside the lid through these holes unless it's raining horizontally.. I'm gonna check the spoiler issue later. Thanks.
Old 04-12-2014, 12:16 PM   #16
fordfalconed

Gidday Kerberos,

I have a spoiler and mine is an Au3 sedan and had the same problem especially after heavy rain.

I ended up swapping my Au3 boot with a Au2 spoiler sedan because internally my original boot was rusting like hell and showing up as horrible bubbles all below number plate area, not worth scrapping an repainting.

Anyhow read this carefully because when I removed my original spoiler to reuse on the Au2 boot I could shockingly see that the spoiler third holes (beside the spoiler screw in holes) on the Au3 boot lid that help by holding the spoiler was very rusted and most likely here was the leaking point into the boot which then accumulated at the bottom and then splash when lifted up.

So I used remaining tube of black gasket goo usually used for rocker cover and made a thickish circle gasket around the two screwing spoiler bolts and both the third spoiler hole on the replacement Au2 boot. Waited for them to be become very firm before ressembly.

I also did the same gasket gooing around all the x4 assembly number plate lights, plastic number plate holes inside and outside boot area, the wiring harness loom at corner of boot and around the corner going into the car on the drivers side.

You can remove the spoiler carefully by first manually unclipping the electrical connection inside the boot that have the two wires coloured- Dark Green with red stripe and Black with two silver stripes (these are for the spoiler brake light).

To remove the number plate light assembly one has to unclip the two wired colours- Brown wire and Black with two silver stripes. Then unscrew the x4 nuts and remove the whole light assembly and you will see the holes on the boot area, the harness hole and x4 holes for the bolts.

Then to remove the spoiler carefully unscrewed the x4 10mm nuts inside the boot that hold the spoiler onto the boot. Then carefully lift off the spoiler and you will clearly see the state of the three holes on top of your boot.

If rusted then clean holes and apply antirust paint let it dry proper then apply a good gasket or use my method.

I carefully torqued the x4 spoiler nuts to only 5Nm (Newtown Metre) as I did not want to crack the spoiler bolts.

And for the light assembly I only hand tightned the x4 nuts.

Now that there has been heavy rain the boot has remained dry and no further splashes of water. Good luck
fordfalconed is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post