Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 20-02-2011, 07:29 PM   #1
galaxy xr8
Giddy up.

Default How do you remove the front nose cone on a AUII XR8

How easy is it or how do you remove the front nose cone on the AU II XR8,
Yesterday I had an unfortunete incident where some fella thought it would be wise to reverse his Toyota Landcruiser into the front of my XR8
Anyway I have to get it repaired and was wondering if it is an easy job to remove as I would rather take it of and drop it at the panel shop rather then have the whole car there ?.

galaxy xr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-02-2011, 08:03 PM   #2
b2tf
not here much anymore

Can't help you with how to do it but I wouldnt mind knowing myself, I have to take mine off to remove some nudge bar brackets.
Old 20-02-2011, 10:04 PM   #3
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

1. Remove the undertray from the front (combination of phillips head screws and 7mm hex head screws)
2. Undo the scrivets and screws from both inner guards.
3. Undo the 13mm nuts that you should now be able to access having loosened the plastic inner guards - just pull the plastic back, and you should be able to see the nuts.
4. Remove the bulb from the indicators.
5. From under the front of the car, loacte the 2 x 10mm nuts/bolts on each side holding the front bar onto a metal bracket
6. With the bonnet up, undo all pop-screws/scrivets and nuts that look like they hold anything to do with the front bar on (no need to undo ones holding headlights in though).

You should now be able to remove the bar.

Austin - I reckon you should be able to get to those brakets just by undoing the undertray. Put the ute up on ramps, and you should be able to access the bolts (I recal that ragtop fitted his without removing the front bar).
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

FPV 335 build stats: <click here>

Ford Performance Club ACT
JC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-02-2011, 10:37 PM   #4
LANKY 1
Are the Supercars on yet?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC
1. Remove the undertray from the front (combination of phillips head screws and 7mm hex head screws)
3. Undo the 13mm nuts that you should now be able to access having loosened the plastic inner guards - just pull the plastic back, and you should be able to see the nuts.
5. From under the front of the car, loacte the 2 x 10mm nuts/bolts on each side holding the front bar onto a metal bracket
6. With the bonnet up, undo all pop-screws/scrivets and nuts that look like they hold anything to do with the front bar on (no need to undo ones holding headlights in though).

Austin - I reckon you should be able to get to those brakets just by undoing the undertray. Put the ute up on ramps, and you should be able to access the bolts (I recal that ragtop fitted his without removing the front bar).
I had to remove the whole bar and the honeycombe stuff behind that to bolt my nudge bar on. it's a Gitsham

V8 dreamteam
1st: 2012, 2021
2nd: 2015, 2016, 2020, 2022, 2023
3rd: 2014, 2018, 2019
LANKY 1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-02-2011, 11:17 PM   #5
galaxy xr8
Giddy up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC

Thank's JC, sounds very straight forward.
Old 20-02-2011, 11:48 PM   #6
Pinkbits
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Is there a bolt behind the number plate?
Pinkbits is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-02-2011, 02:15 AM   #7
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinkbits
Is there a bolt behind the number plate?
Not on the couple I've removed, but there is an indented/cone shaped bit there, so wouldn't surprise me if there was a bolt there on some.
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

FPV 335 build stats: <click here>

Ford Performance Club ACT
JC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-02-2011, 12:15 PM   #8
FGII-XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

if he reversed into you you are better off taking the whole car in or you might end up with insurance dramas

"It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."

Start a new career as a bus driver

Rides:
FG2 XR6 stock at this stage but a very nice ride

xc 4 DOOR X CHASER 5.8 UNDER RESTO
FGII-XR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-02-2011, 05:58 PM   #9
galaxy xr8
Giddy up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by au3xr6
if he reversed into you you are better off taking the whole car in or you might end up with insurance dramas
Yeah I know I am just weighing up my option's, as I don't really want to take the whole car there as last time I had it there, on pick up obviously they like to wash the vehicles so they are nice and clean for the customer, but they need a leason in car washing as I spent a whole week afterward's with my Rotex detailing it getting all the scrathes/swirl's out of it from them washing it.
I will ask them if they don't mind not washing it afterward's but will have to wait and see what they say to that...
That's why I thought I might just take the nose cone of myself and get it to them.
Old 22-02-2011, 01:56 AM   #10
FGII-XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

the problem there would be colour match they also paint a bit of the gaurd to blend it in

"It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."

Start a new career as a bus driver

Rides:
FG2 XR6 stock at this stage but a very nice ride

xc 4 DOOR X CHASER 5.8 UNDER RESTO
FGII-XR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-02-2011, 08:42 PM   #11
galaxy xr8
Giddy up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by au3xr6
the problem there would be colour match they also paint a bit of the gaurd to blend it in
Yeah I am aware of blending the door in as I had to have the LHS front panel resprayed a little while ago and it was blended into the front LHS door but the nose cone wasn't touched then, neither was the bonnet.
So I will just have to see what they say about it tomorrow.