Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Closed Thread

Old 23-05-2013, 11:58 AM   #151
mcnamg

Default Re: Major Ford announcement

Press Release from Ford Website

http://www.ford.com.au/about/newsroo...=1249024395989

Quote:
Important announcement from Ford Australia
Thu, May 23, 2013
Ford Accelerates Australian Business Transformation
Ford is transforming its Australian business by accelerating the introduction of new products for Australian customers, enhancing the sales and service experience, and improving its business efficiency and profitability
To better position the company to compete in a highly fragmented and competitive market, Ford will cease local manufacturing in October 2016. All entitlements are protected for the 1200 employees whose jobs are affected, and the company will work through the next three years to provide support
Ford will proceed with plans to launch updated versions of the Falcon, Falcon Ute and Territory in 2014, as well as offering other world-class products, such as the Ford Kuga, Ranger and Focus. The company will also strengthen its product lineup even further with a 30 per cent increase in the number of new vehicles offered to Australian customers by 2016
Ford’s presence in Australia will remain significant – with 1500 team members, more than 200 dealers nationwide and a continued strong commitment to supporting the communities in which the company operates
MELBOURNE, Australia, 23 May 2013 – Ford Motor Company is transforming its business operations in Australia to provide customers with even more new products, and improved sales and service, while creating a more efficient and profitable business structure.
Ford announced the plan today, including its intention to cease its local manufacturing operations in October 2016. The decision on local manufacturing was driven by increasingly challenging market conditions – including market fragmentation and the high cost of manufacturing. Ford losses in Australia in the last five years have totaled approximately $600 million (AUD).
“All of us at Ford remain committed to our long history of serving Australian customers with the very best vehicles that deliver cutting edge technology at an affordable cost,” said Bob Graziano, president and CEO of Ford Australia. “Unfortunately, due to challenging market conditions we are unable to do that longer-term while continuing to manufacture locally.”
Support for Employees
Approximately 1200 jobs in Ford’s Broadmeadows and Geelong manufacturing plants will become redundant when manufacturing at those sites ceases in 2016.
All manufacturing employees’ benefits will be provided in line with current agreements. During the next three years, Ford will work with affected employees and their representatives on support arrangements and provide clarity about the closure process.
“We know this announcement is very difficult, especially for our employees,” said Graziano. “Providing support to those in our team whose roles will be affected is a key priority for us during this three-year transition period.”
Future vision for Ford Australia
While the way Ford is structured is changing, Ford’s commitment to Australia remains strong.
“Ford will remain a significant employer in Australia, with more than 1500 team members, as will our network of more than 200 dealers around the country,” said Graziano. “The Australian team’s role as a global centre of excellence for vehicle development also will continue to be an important focus for us.”
Australia is currently one of four product development hubs for Ford globally. Recently, the Australian team has been responsible for designing, engineering and testing global vehicles, including the Ford Ranger and Ford Figo, and will continue this expertise.
Today, Ford has more than 1000 team members in product development in Australia, giving the company more designers and engineers than any other auto company in Australia.
“Our customers will buy and service Ford vehicles through the same great dealers we have throughout the country today, and we will continue to support the communities in which we operate,” said Graziano.
Decision follows comprehensive review process
Given the changing dynamics of the auto industry, a number of business scenarios were reviewed during the past year to determine next steps for Ford’s Australian business.
All viable alternatives were evaluated as part of the process including manufacturing various types and combinations of vehicles for local sale as well as the viability of a significant export program. The scenarios investigated also included varying levels of government support, manufacturing cost reductions and productivity improvements.
Australia has annual sales of approximately 1.1 million new vehicles, and customers have access to more than 65 brands and 365 models available for sale. This makes Australia one of the most competitive and crowded automotive markets in the world.
“Given the fragmented marketplace and the low model volumes that result, we decided that manufacturing locally is no longer viable,” said Graziano.
More New Products
As part of the transformation, Ford has aggressive plans to introduce even more new products for Australian customers – including a 30 per cent increase in the number of new vehicles offered to Australian customers by 2016. That is in addition to already announced new versions of the Ford Falcon, Falcon Ute and Territory, as well the new Ford Kuga, Ranger and Focus.
“We will be introducing a number of exciting new vehicles and technologies during the next few years that will excite our Australian customers,” said Graziano. “The breadth of our line-up will increase by more than 30 per cent, ensuring we continue to offer our customers an outstanding range of cars, SUVs and light trucks long into the future.”
Upgraded Sales and Service Experience
Ford also is significantly enhancing its approach to the sales and service experience. The company has appointed a dedicated Consumer Experience team to introduce a series of initiatives to provide customers with even better after-sales care.
“We have a range of projects under way to significantly enhance our customer’s experience with Ford,” said Graziano. “This includes one of the only programs in Australia that provides a capped price on all servicing costs for seven years.”
Ford continues to be part of Australian communities
“Ford vehicles have been part of the automotive landscape in Australia for almost 110 years and we have manufactured here since 1925. We are proud of that history. We are proud of our role in Australia and we haven’t made this decision lightly.
“Overall, we are changing, but our commitment to Australia remains strong. We’ll move through this transition and continue to be a vibrant and strong part of the Australian driving experience,” said Graziano.
Old 23-05-2013, 11:59 AM   #152
Mighty Reds
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

FFS Ford give the Falcon what it deserves and send it off with a BANG!!.
5 users like this post:
Old 23-05-2013, 11:59 AM   #153
WayneHadfield

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resurrection View Post
I've been telling this forum for the last five years that 2016 is the end but most people did not want to hear it.
Well, congratulations.
5 users like this post:
Old 23-05-2013, 11:59 AM   #154
The Snout

Glad people on here aren't giving Ford a free pass and blaming the buying public for everything. The onus is on a company to bring a product to market, promote it, make it competitively priced/equipped and not least make it relevant to what people want.

Ford have failed to do this on the Australian made products. Even recently they responded to the opposition leader's visit and opinion that Territory was a great car with an attitude that it was just all to hard to bother to export. Ok, sounds like the decision was already made but I found that really negative by Ford.

With a 3 year lead time, hopefully it will give workers time to reskill and make other arrangements.

And I'll buy Australian made after 2016 , Holden or Toyota.

Guess this theory that automotive will collapse if any of the big 3 left will now be tested.
3 users like this post:
Old 23-05-2013, 12:00 PM   #155
2011G6E
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

"Their brand is dead to many people"...?

Maybe, but realistically it is only for the tiny percentage of people these days who are badge-blind, or who don't accept any other Ford than one with a "Falcon" badge on it...

They have to build what people demand...we only owned our G6E for two years. ..I was bitterly disappointed by what it didn't have for what was supposed to be a "premium" model. Do a search on this forum, you'll see plenty of Ford fans who also knock Falcons about various points.

People don't buy purely on badge anymore, and haven't for many years...gone are the days of just taking anything the maker throws out the door simply because it has a Ford badge on it.
Old 23-05-2013, 12:00 PM   #156
SeduceXR
Seduce FG XR8

No surprise when you hear such quotes from the press conference:

"Ford boss says manufacturing in Aus costs double what it does in Europe, and four times what is costs in Asia"
Old 23-05-2013, 12:01 PM   #157
GT-spec15

Well said Snout.

I know this is a Ford site and many will get nostalgic and teary eyed, but at the end of the day Ford is a business, and when an arm of a business ceases to be viable, it gets chopped.

Life's a *****.
Old 23-05-2013, 12:01 PM   #158
BroadyFord

Graziano confirms ford AU cost structure "double that of Europe".

Shoots down the myth of cheaper wages than Europe/Canada etc people on this forum have been banging on about.
Old 23-05-2013, 12:01 PM   #159
Outbackjack
Central to all beach's

This is what happens when governments force Australian companies to compete on a level playing field. Sadly the field was anything but level.....
2 users like this post:
Old 23-05-2013, 12:02 PM   #160
GT-spec15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outbackjack View Post
This is what happens when governments force Australian companies to compete on a level playing field. Sadly the field was anything but level.....
What a ridiculously simplistic assessment of the situation.
Old 23-05-2013, 12:03 PM   #161
TC200six
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I'm not teary eyed as we knew it would happen one day. Shame though.
Old 23-05-2013, 12:05 PM   #162
gumbi_18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mighty Reds View Post
FFS Ford give the Falcon what it deserves and send it off with a BANG!!.
This. Finally dust off the GTHO badge and give the Falcon one last hurrah.
Old 23-05-2013, 12:05 PM   #163
2011G6E
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outbackjack View Post
Never has been, never will be...unless of course people are prepared to live on much smaller wages and live in poverty to help the car makers try and sell an unpopular product.

Big cars are on the way out...people said in in the late seventies, and it proved to be false. People said it in the eighties and nineties, and it was sort of wrong. But it's been downhill this century..."small" cars aren't that small anymore...medium cars are as large inside as "big" cars used to be in Australia. Despite claims to the contrary from enthusiasts, buyers couldn't care less if a car is front wheel or rear wheel drive, as long as it's well equipped and drives nicely and, importantly, is priced sharply.
This user likes this post:
Old 23-05-2013, 12:06 PM   #164
RAPID_BA
Banned

If the government wants to save all those jobs, save local production, then give people a tax concession for buying an aussie made brand new car. Effectively lowering the cost to purchase.

Businesses and individuals would jump on it.

The government wont even really lose out as all those wages employed in the aussie production paying them tax as well as company profits and supplier chain..

GOVERNMENT GIVE INDIVIDUALS AND COMPANIES TAX CONCESSIONS WHEN BUYING AUSSIES MADE CARS!!!!!! ITS A WIN WIN!!
Old 23-05-2013, 12:07 PM   #165
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Man..I just have so much anger at Ford NA right now its numbing. If they come out with a GWRD sedan within the next couple of years I will flip out.
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Old 23-05-2013, 12:07 PM   #166
mcnamg

I wonder how long before Holden makes a similar announcement. I would think that Holden would have to review their options for local manufacture now Ford is going to be out of the picture as they will need to increase the overseas content in their vehicles as local supplier prices will increase quite a bit as they raise costs to cover the loss of Ford business. That's if the local suppliers can survive without Ford.

This is not a good sign for the continued local manufacturing of cars in Australia.
Old 23-05-2013, 12:08 PM   #167
Brazen
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroadyFord View Post
Graziano confirms ford AU cost structure "double that of Europe".

Shoots down the myth of cheaper wages than Europe/Canada etc people on this forum have been banging on about.
He said costs not wages. Costs involve everything like electricity, gas, carbon taxes, red tape, transport etc.

And most manufacturing plants need volume to reduce the cost structure. Im suprised that the cost structure of the Ford AU plant which only made 30,000 cars last is only double the plants which pump out 250,000 cars a year.
Old 23-05-2013, 12:08 PM   #168
block58
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Falcon nameplate finishing in 2016, not being carried over to import model.
Old 23-05-2013, 12:09 PM   #169
EASYBOSS
Matakana NZ
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT-spec15 View Post
they made that stupid F6X thing.
I beg to differ, I glad they made it
SOLD : BA XR8 4 Speed Auto in Mercury Silver, Bluepower CIA, Full Diffilipo Big Boy Quad System, Tune, 4.11 Diff Gears, FPV Starter Button, FPV GT Rear Spoiler, Tripod Gauges, PWR Trans Cooler. 230 RWKW's. Many thanks to Chris at Bluepower Racing Developments

Hers : F6X build #150 in Ego, Stock as a Rock, untill the warranty runs out, including the extended one.

My Work Wagon AU Futura Wagon in Gold.

On the Farm : Ford 6600 Tractor
5 users like this post:
Old 23-05-2013, 12:09 PM   #170
Terror_Tree
SZ II TS Territory-Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terror_Tree View Post
All I ask is they let the Falcon name die, please don't put a Falcon badge on a Taurus.
Just heard, the Falcon name end in 2016

FWD is the Devils work
Old 23-05-2013, 12:11 PM   #171
EFFalcon
Last warning

aaaaaaaaaand the dollar dips further
DAILY - BA Fairlane Ghia, Boss 260 Turbo
OFFROADER - Ford Explorer
Old 23-05-2013, 12:12 PM   #172
my_gxl
Unintended Perfectionist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kable72 View Post
Everyone article I have read, the same phrase pops up "Ford has not officially confirmed any closures"

Everyone stfu and wait until the press conference before you get your shovels out to bury yourselves.

With a new model coming out in 2014 why on earth would they announce a closure of doors in 2016. I can see it two ways, to make people buy it cos it's the last one OR people won't buy it cos it's the last one so when the doors close parts will be few and far between.
They still have to keep 10 years worth of parts I believe.

Old fords are still going, and the way I see it, the values of the last falcon won't drop as quick since you can't get a new one.
I will try save my pennies to get one of the last ones.

The mustang might actually come here as a RHD RWD option.

I will NEVER give in to a GM product. I will just keep my XR8.

Just watched the press conference...

The update will go ahead-good.

FPV continuing-no idea-not good

Motorsport-no real idea either-not good.
Old 23-05-2013, 12:13 PM   #173
MickyB
Get in the ring!!!

So does 30% more product mean we will definitely get Mustang? And possibly Taurus and F-truck? Mustang on sale for a reasonable price would be a small consolation for losing our beloved Falcon.
Old 23-05-2013, 12:13 PM   #174
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Not the first company to close down , sadly probably wont be the last, no one will continue banging their head against the wall trying to make a dollar when the they can import cars cheaper, i just heard on the radio over period x ford oz lost 600 million dollars, the next question is will holden or toyota be next?
Old 23-05-2013, 12:14 PM   #175
duaned
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I'ts now time to save the pennies and buy new the last of an aussie icon, The Falcon! And I hope others on this forum & the public follow!
2 users like this post:
Old 23-05-2013, 12:14 PM   #176
GT-spec15

Quote:
Originally Posted by EASYBOSS View Post
I beg to differ, I glad they made it
You would be in the minority.

It was a stupid product that delayed their foray into fuel efficient technologies.

You might say producing the F6X demonstrated that Ford's business model and direction was doomed to fail.
Old 23-05-2013, 12:16 PM   #177
GT-spec15

Quote:
Originally Posted by duaned View Post
I'ts now time to save the pennies and buy new the last of an aussie icon, The Falcon! And I hope others on this forum & the public follow!
I look forward to silly people snapping up GTs in 2016 and trying to sell them at 150% of RRP in 2017 as a "future classic bound to appreciate in value".
Old 23-05-2013, 12:17 PM   #178
my_gxl
Unintended Perfectionist

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011G6E View Post
They said 85% of cars people purchase here are "built overseas". Once again, you can't blame them...why pay a premium for a lower-equipped car purely because it's built here? My loyalty is my hip pocket, and I'm not going to purposely put myself out of pocket for something with less equipment and which is dearer to run just because it says "made in Australia".
If it has the same or better equipment, and is cheaper, then I'll buy it, but Ford (and Holden) haven't managed to do this with their big cars.
The same can be said for anything made or grown in Australia.
Manufacturing, and the farmers are stuffed.
I try buy local at the supermarket.
I have only purchased one vehicle new, and it was an AU ute.
Stupid Gillard Government.
Old 23-05-2013, 12:17 PM   #179
babyf6
Young Ford Enthusiast

Hopefully I will be able to get one after I leave school, sad day for Australia, I just want the bad news to go away.....
Old 23-05-2013, 12:17 PM   #180
graham7773
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Can't blame Ford, $600.000.000 lost in the last 5 years, $141.000.000 lost last year alone.
Chrysler and Mitsubishi come to mind.

True Blue
Give it to me straight
Face to face
Are you really disappearing,
Just another dying race,
Hey True Blue
(credit John Williamson)

Last edited by graham7773; 23-05-2013 at 12:25 PM.
2 users like this post:
Closed Thread