Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 25-04-2013, 10:49 AM   #1
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Default Huge spike in consumption??? Opinions??

Would like the opinion of the collective on this one as it has me stumped...

2010 LV, Diesel Focus... Consumption has been like clockwork for the first 60k km... always achieved factory figures or better with little effort.

Has all changed in the last 3 weeks. A few things have also been done to the car and one of those must be the cause.

Ok, a little history. I have added several posts to the 'Fuel Consumption of your Focus' using the many long distance trips I do under various loads.... Below is some of the more recent ones as a comparison:

Trip to QLD from Sydney in Jan this year:

Quote:
Model: 2010 Focus TDCI
Generation: LV
Type: 2.0 PowerShift
Driving style: 20% City : 80% Freeway, 853km.
Fuel Consumption: 4.7L/100km (was at 4.4L till we hit traffic!)
Total KM's on the clock: 54k km
AVG speed:76km/h
Conditions: 2 occupants, meduim load, empty roof racks, space saver as well as full size spare, air-con on the whole time.

DTE - 122km. Was stunned! Did the drive from Sydney to Coolangatta and the consumption leveled out at 4.4L per 100, with an average speed of 84km/h. Hit Taree and from there to Kempsey it was 5-10km/h bumper to bumper which reduced the average speed to 70 and our consumption went from 4.4-4.9 :(. Kempsey to Coolangatta leveled the figures to what we have above.

So, I was hoping that the trip back would be a little more smoother, just to compare with going there:

Driving style: 20% City : 80% Freeway, 854km.
Fuel Consumption: 4.6L/100km
Total KM's on the clock: 55k km
AVG speed:79km/h
Conditions: 2 occupants, meduim load, empty roof racks, space saver as well as full size spare, air-con on the whole time.
Fully loaded:

Quote:
Model: 2010 Focus TDCI
Generation: LV
Type: 2.0 PowerShift
Driving style: 20% City : 80% Freeway, 320km.
Fuel Consumption: 5.8 L / 100km
Total KM's on the clock: 35,000 km
AVG speed:75km/h
Conditions: 2 occupants, fully loaded with 150kg tools, fully loaded roof racks, probably another 80kg.
Ok.... So last night I pulled into my friends place in Melbourne after driving from Sydney, a trip I have done a few times now on a single tank each way no worries. This time it took a tank and 1/4....

My consumption would not go below 5.7L per 100!

My car was also configured to equal or better the 4.4l per 100 I achieved going to Qld:

No roof racks, Air-con never on, wheel alignment done the day before (the front was way out), no full size spare in boot on top of the space saver and new tyres pumped up 10% above factory specs to improve rolling resistance..

The car has just clicked over 62k km. In the last 2-3 weeks it has had the tranny serviced and software updated, diesel filter changed, new wheels and tyres fitted, roof racks removed, new rear brakes and wheel alignment.

I generally fill up at Shell opposite work, but seeing as I'm on holidays I have been using the local independant that is 12-14c/pl lower than the big names.

So, I thought it was dodgy diesel, if there is such a thing?? At 615km with 1/4 tank to go I pulled in to a BP and filled it to the top (as I did in the morning prior to departure).. Worked the consumption using litres / distance at around 6l/100... even worse than the computer... DTE read 833km when it should have been almost 1000 like it read on the QLD trip.

Got back on the freeway, waited 15 minutes for the fuels to mix and flush through the pipes and re-set the consumption. Within 10 minutes it settled back smack on 5.7 and didn't budge. Went down to 5.4 on an early downhill stretch but then back up to 6 to settle at 5.7...

After getting the service I was doing a lot of aggressive driving and I commented to my wife that it was the first time EVER we saw the average consumption go above 8. And it was very hard to make it go down again...

This has me stumped... my consumption has gone up 20-25% in 3 weeks.

I'm thinking tyres???? But to that extent?? I'm now getting consumption readings similar to when my car and roofracks are fully laden....

Had the factory tyres on till 60K, 205/55/16 and bought some LW Focus wheels / tyres off a Forum member and put them on. 215/55/16. Slightly taller (speedo is now 100% spot on) and 10mm wider.....

What gives??? Oh, my average speed going to Melbourne was 95km/h as I live 2km from the entry to the expressway so well and truly 'freeway' driving...

Lets see how we go with this,

Tanks all

Jason

I've been around the world a couple of times or maybe more.......
Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-04-2013, 10:59 AM   #2
calais
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Huge spike in consumption??? Opinions??

Its a tricky one, theres three points i'd look at specifically.

First, the tyres. They do play a part in reducing fuel consumption, but 25%?

Second, the transmission service, what fluid was put in it? And this software update..... Why?

Third, diesel quality. Yes there is such thing as crappy diesel. High sulphur content and particulate count will not assist your focus in achieving the best possible figures. Not to mention it wears fuel pumps and injectors. No good at all. The dpf in the exhaust may have also copped a coating of some kind which is affecting its ability to burn off like its supposed to.

Best of luck with it though, it would really be playing on my mind too.
calais is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-04-2013, 10:59 AM   #3
EDManual
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

tyres would make a difference for sure. As you are going off your cars odometer it is wrong as its taken off your original tyres which give it a wrong km reading. That is it says you went further than you had. Now with your new bigger tyres, your speedo is correct and so is your odometer. So you will find you never had consumption like you thought you did, and were probably in the 5's all along.
Also as you are now actually going faster (unless you were already using gps speed not your speedo speed) you are using more fuel too. And yes both combined would make a difference like this on a focus.
EDManual is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-04-2013, 11:05 AM   #4
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Quote:
Originally Posted by calais View Post
Its a tricky one, theres three points i'd look at specifically.

First, the tyres. They do play a part in reducing fuel consumption, but 25%?

Second, the transmission service, what fluid was put in it? And this software update..... Why?

Third, diesel quality. Yes there is such thing as crappy diesel. High sulphur content and particulate count will not assist your focus in achieving the best possible figures. Not to mention it wears fuel pumps and injectors. No good at all. The dpf in the exhaust may have also copped a coating of some kind which is affecting its ability to burn off like its supposed to.

Best of luck with it though, it would really be playing on my mind too.
Tranny service was done by Ford. It is a part of the 60K service. You would hope they use the correct oil as they charged me accordingly...

Software update is probably done by default... I was told it was part of the service, if it was or wasn't done I would have no clue.

I know what you mean by a gradual degredation of the fuel system... but this was black and white. No gradual ill effects.

Don't think I have a DPF, but if I did it would be clear, I do a lot of freeway driving so there would be no reason for it to be gunked up.

Thanks for your feedback.

This user likes this post:
Old 25-04-2013, 11:13 AM   #5
MitchP91

Also with a partly clogged diesel filter the flow rate isnt going to be as high as the new one so the time the injectors are open for a clogged fuel filter is longer than a new filter. Give it a week to get the computernuseto this then there may be a drop in consumption

Mitch
Old 25-04-2013, 11:13 AM   #6
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDManual View Post
tyres would make a difference for sure. As you are going off your cars odometer it is wrong as its taken off your original tyres which give it a wrong km reading. That is it says you went further than you had. Now with your new bigger tyres, your speedo is correct and so is your odometer. So you will find you never had consumption like you thought you did, and were probably in the 5's all along.
Also as you are now actually going faster (unless you were already using gps speed not your speedo speed) you are using more fuel too. And yes both combined would make a difference like this on a focus.
True, but the difference between the 2 is like 5% or something. Even if the figures were wrong there is no way I would have reached Melb on 1 tank.. wouldn't have happened, whereas in the past it wasn't an issue.

Same with the other trip. Even though my figures were out, it doesn't escape the fact that I still made it to Coolangatta on a single tank (850km on whereis) with a DTE of 122. The first hr of that trip was getting to the F3 so it was urban driving, then there was a ton of roadworks etc etc etc. Which is why the average was low. More weight, air-con on the whole way etc. The numbers still don't add up. When I filled up in Tweed Heads, the DTE was 999.... and didn't drop for quite a while..

Thanks for your input.

Old 25-04-2013, 12:07 PM   #7
Rodge
Banned

1. Tyres - I fitted Perill Cinturato P7's on my diesel vehicle in place of the Michelin Primacy and the Michelin's have a more efficient tread pattern and I reckon this has cost me 2-3% in lost efficiency but could be as much as 5%. I like the Perilli's and they were significantly less expensive but perhaps if I had my time again I'd have fitted the OE tyres. Are your's inflated properly ?

2. Oil - I have recently changed to Penrite 5W-40 full synthetic in my diesel, manufacturer recommends 5W-30, I prefer 5W-40 as I beliueve it aids longevity of the engine and turbo.
This is said to affect fuel economy by about 2% but I'm happy to live with that. Did they use the recommended viscosity oil ?

3. Your injectors. Do you have the high pressure Pzizo (sorry don't know how to spell that) injectors ? Perhaps they are starting to get a bit worn or one of them isn't working properly ?? Perhaps that could be the main culprit ?

Other than that, yeah if you have a DPF, (not sure), then if its blocked or partially so, that could be another major contributing factor.
Rodge is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-04-2013, 12:09 PM   #8
SumoDog68
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Most likely you 've had head wind to deal with . That coupled with change of tyre circumference and rolling efficiency probably made the difference. It is not huge spike though. I more than doubled my fuel usage on a long trip while towing :-)
SumoDog68 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-04-2013, 12:12 PM   #9
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Thanks Rodge, car has been dealer serviced since new every 7.5k. Diesel injector cleaner every 10k. Car hardware is all factory.

Leaning towards tyres still.

Thanks.

Old 25-04-2013, 12:28 PM   #10
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Quote:
Originally Posted by SumoDog68 View Post
Most likely you 've had head wind to deal with . That coupled with change of tyre circumference and rolling efficiency probably made the difference. It is not huge spike though. I more than doubled my fuel usage on a long trip while towing :-)
900 km headwind probably isn't likely. I also have records of towing and it only added 2-2.5l extra to my consumption... 600kg box trailer.

Thanks ;)

Old 25-04-2013, 12:35 PM   #11
SumoDog68
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Missed your comment about different fill point - fuel quality does vary , try filling at your regular place and compare ..
SumoDog68 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-04-2013, 01:04 PM   #12
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

I can't get mine under 5.5L/100km, average speed 53km/h.

Take the plastic engine cover off and look around the injectors, look for any signs of diesel.

Mine split 3rd injector seal and blew the injector return line leaking fuel on top of the engine, it would still run fine but losing fuel all over the place.
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-04-2013, 01:05 PM   #13
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Quote:
Originally Posted by SumoDog68 View Post
Missed your comment about different fill point - fuel quality does vary , try filling at your regular place and compare ..
My regular place is in Syd and am currently in Melb. Filling up at BP made no difference over my local independant back home with the first tank. Will be here a week and will only use branded diesel but my gut feeling it won't make a difference.

Old 25-04-2013, 01:08 PM   #14
madmelon
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

You said you changed wheels and tyres- what did you put on and what was on it before? There are two factors- they tyres could have a significantly higher rolling resistance and the wheels could have a higher rotational inertia (heavier) = more energy to accelerate them = higher fuel consumption.

I've seen a significant change in fuel economy on both my Falcons since changing tyres.
madmelon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-04-2013, 01:08 PM   #15
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Damo View Post

Take the plastic engine cover off and look around the injectors, look for any signs of diesel.

Mine split 3rd injector seal and blew the injector return line leaking fuel on top of the engine, it would still run fine but losing fuel all over the place.
Will do Damo, did the leaks reach the ground? I pulled up half way to look under the car as I was thinking leak but saw nothing.

Old 25-04-2013, 02:26 PM   #16
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Just on the top of the engine and down the starter motor, I didn't notice a leak on the ground.
Old 25-04-2013, 03:12 PM   #17
ryeman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I believe the biggest contributor is wind strength and direction.
SW wind of 30 kph traveling at 110 = air speed of 140! But a tail wind = 80...massive difference in aerodynamic drag/consumption.
Wind for some reason is ignored....airspeed is everything when looking at consumption variables.

Facts or the twitterverse, your choice!

M3SR+ .......MG ZS EV
ryeman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 25-04-2013, 06:48 PM   #18
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Quote:
Originally Posted by madmelon View Post
You said you changed wheels and tyres- what did you put on and what was on it before? There are two factors- they tyres could have a significantly higher rolling resistance and the wheels could have a higher rotational inertia (heavier) = more energy to accelerate them = higher fuel consumption.

I've seen a significant change in fuel economy on both my Falcons since changing tyres.
Old Tyres... Goodyear Eagle NCT 5 'ECO' 205/55/16 Factory tyres on factory alloy wheels.

New Tyres... Bridgestone Turanza ER300 215/55/16 Factory tyres on factory allow wheels for LW Focus.

1.7% difference between the 2. I also assume they are generally the same catergory of tyre.

Old 25-04-2013, 06:50 PM   #19
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryeman View Post
I believe the biggest contributor is wind strength and direction.
SW wind of 30 kph traveling at 110 = air speed of 140! But a tail wind = 80...massive difference in aerodynamic drag/consumption.
Wind for some reason is ignored....airspeed is everything when looking at consumption variables.
Thanks for your input. I believe wind had 0 effect in this situation. There was no wind above a slight breeze during the trip.

Old 25-04-2013, 06:51 PM   #20
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Quote:

Top of engine is bone dry. There is a but if a buz / chatter coming from near the left hand side injector, closest to the timing chain but I think it was just the chain itself.....

Old 25-04-2013, 07:02 PM   #21
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Ok.... my mate in Melbourne is into performance bikes so while tinkering in the garage he suggested that the airfilter could be blocked, ie something was sucked into the intake early in the trip and caused the problem.

No worries, we popped the bonnet and undid the hex bolts to open the airbox.

To say I'm FURIOUS is an understatement... I will not say any more, or post any pictures but I will be calling Ford CRC and demanding a refund on my last B service to the tune of$800 as well as them honouring my warranty request 1 month out (apparently my dealer called Ford and they declined it).... And they better not give me the run around....

Im spewing.......

I'm so fricken angry right now.......

What I found probably has no bearing on the higher economy either.......

Where is that thread on how Ford is trying to improve customer service.... can't wait to make another contribution to that one......

I appreciate all that have replied to my thread by the way.

Old 25-04-2013, 07:10 PM   #22
OLDBLOKE

The car has just clicked over 62k km. In the last 2-3 weeks it has had the tranny serviced and software updated, diesel filter changed, new wheels and tyres fitted, roof racks removed, new rear brakes and wheel alignment

New rear brakes,are they dragging,i would have them checked.
OLDBLOKE is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-04-2013, 07:19 PM   #23
Gavin

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Fuel Pump Removal Guide 

Quote:

Hi Guys, I had Goodyear Eagle NCT's on my AU2 and when i changed tyres to another brand that where supposedly the same high silicon blend my fuel consumption went up by 1L/100km. (same size etc)

If you read ANY of my supplied information and use ANY of it you must accept and agree to do so AT YOUR OWN RISK or do not use the information at all.

I accept NO liability if you damage your or anyone elses property or cause any harm to yourself or others with the information provided.
A Mechanic i am not. You have been warned.
Gavin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-04-2013, 07:19 PM   #24
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLDBLOKE View Post
The car has just clicked over 62k km. In the last 2-3 weeks it has had the tranny serviced and software updated, diesel filter changed, new wheels and tyres fitted, roof racks removed, new rear brakes and wheel alignment

New rear brakes,are they dragging,i would have them checked.
The 60k service includes a wheel off brake inspection and they also tested the brake and geometry of each corner. Only concern was alignment, which I fixed.

Last edited by Yellow_Festiva; 25-04-2013 at 07:25 PM.
Old 25-04-2013, 07:32 PM   #25
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gavin View Post
Hi Guys, I had Goodyear Eagle NCT's on my AU2 and when i changed tyres to another brand that where supposedly the same high silicon blend my fuel consumption went up by 1L/100km. (same size etc)
Thanks. 1l up for a falcon will only be 8-12% increase, my % increase in consumption is 20+.

I'm going to fit my old rolling stock and do a stint on the freeway and see what happens when I get home...

I used to think tyres marked as 'fuel saver / eco' etc was a gimmick.. I may be proven wrong.

Old 25-04-2013, 07:36 PM   #26
madmelon
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Both those tyres are an 'F' category on the Euro label so they should be similar however I've switched between two tyres in the G category and the difference was pretty big- ~1L/100km.

I'd also get the rear brakes checked again, especially if they've not done the service according to your expectations so far!
Old 25-04-2013, 07:36 PM   #27
madmelon
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow_Festiva View Post
I used to think tyres marked as 'fuel saver / eco' etc was a gimmick.. I may be proven wrong.
Indeed, some of them marked "Eco" something are actually in the lowest or second lowest category...
Old 25-04-2013, 07:38 PM   #28
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Quote:
Both those tyres are an 'F' category on the Euro label so they should be similar however I've switched between two tyres in the G category and the difference was pretty big- ~1L/100km.

I'd also get the rear brakes checked again, especially if they've not done the service according to your expectations so far!
Thank you, and agreed....

Old 25-04-2013, 07:41 PM   #29
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

No filter in there?
This user likes this post:
Old 25-04-2013, 07:53 PM   #30
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Quote:
No filter in there?
Sorta.... Will allow Ford to make me happy before I say more... Let's just say I didn't get what I paid for....