Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Fiesta, Festiva and Ka

Old 23-09-2006, 11:37 PM   #1
donkeylover

Default What should i do mmmm

Hello again i usually just come on here and write pointless stuff but now i need some help.Im spending around 15 to 20k on a car what do think i should get?i used to own a clio sport 182 and a mini so i love small cars anything bigger then a focus is too big for me.what do u think ?my thoughts are 1.another clio sport(been thrashed from day 1 + expensive insurance + fall to bits after 5 yr) 2.fiesta (a bit slow might get bored) 3.focus st170 (expensive insurance probly been thrashed) 4.citreon c2 (crap inside will fall to bits after 1 yr)...thanks for the help

donkeylover is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-09-2006, 11:48 PM   #2
simonr
Focus Rookie

i can tell ya this..

insurance for a clio 182 is cheaper than even a LR focus zetec!!!! thats stuffed!!

You can pick up a LR focus in that price range.. and also a brand new fiesta..

If you like the styling of the clio 2nd hand ones are great value.. they depreciate in price alot.. (i think)

What happened to the clio and the mini :S ??
Old 24-09-2006, 12:14 AM   #3
donkeylover

i lived in england had the mini cooper then sold it for the 182 sold it came here.Glad i did i love it here apart from the friggin dinosaur sized spiders and insects!!! thanks for reply any more ...
Old 24-09-2006, 10:59 AM   #4
murcod
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I've been looking at similar cars for the last 6 months or more.... The ST170 is ridiculous for insurance (dearer than turbo cars?!?) and hard to find.

There are a lot of Renault Sport Clios on the Oz Renault Sport site http://www.ozrenaultsport.com/forum/ with late model 172's selling for low 20k mark. I found insurance prices very cheap for the Clio's- from memory it was about the same as a Fiesta Zetec?

One thing with the Fiesta's that you may not know is there is NO space to the left of the clutch pedal (to move your foot off the pedal.) It may seem like a small thing but I don't think I could get used to driving one- it basically put me off buying one! You either have to sit with your foot "riding" or resting on the clutch pedal or lift your leg and move your foot backwards/ down off the pedal and then slide it under the pedal with every gear change. Take one for a drive before you get too serious!

Have you thought about a Peugeot 206 GTi?

You can also get the Focus brand new drive away for $20990. A bit bigger (and suspect South African build quality), but good value for the money.
Old 24-09-2006, 01:37 PM   #5
Teki04
Clio 182 CUP!

Hey Dave (Murcod).

Correct with all of it! Under my parents name, the insurance for the Clio Sport 182 Cup is $50 more a year then the Fiesta Zetec. Go figure!

I'd be looking at the Clio 172 2nd hand... you can get some good examples around the $20k mark.

Wouldn't mind looking at the 206 GTi as well. They do look good, and go ok... just not as much fun in the handling, and the 206GTi180 (206 RC in Europe) just isn't as quick.

The C2 - well, unless your getting a VTS I wouldn't bother. And then, they are around $25k on the road. Whether or not you have that money is another question. I know a friend (who owned a F1 182 Cup and now has an RX8) and his gf has the C2 VTR. They have never had problems with it, and my mate says he still gets thrills out of driving it. My cousin bought his VTR last week, so I'll be able to report more on it this week when we take it out for a comparison run.

Don't get me wrong, the Fiesta Zetec is a very fun car to drive, and trouble free. However when I had mine, I was left looking for more (and was prepared to get a used 172, which drives much better!). Considering your prepared to move into a 2nd hand car, I'd probably go for a 172 with Factory Warranty left.

Donkeylover, where abouts are you located? I'm assuming your a pommie?

Maybe check out www.aussiefrogs.com as most of the cars your asking about are french! What is it with the poms and their french cars? If it wasn't for them we might get our Hot Hatches here a little sooner! :

'In fact, so good is the Clio 182 with the Cup chassis set-up that I feel moved to make a bold statement - I think it's the best hot hatch ever built.' (EVO Jan 04)
Teki04 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-09-2006, 01:51 PM   #6
Teki04
Clio 182 CUP!

Oh Donkeylover,

I just realised you haven't been here for about 6 months.

Well, I owned a WP Zetec and went into a 182 Cup earlier this year (Jealous yet :P)

Cheers,

Steven

*EDIT*

I just realised you had a Mini Cooper S and a RSC 182 Cup. Which was first? And why the change? :P

I've got a few cousins with them, and about all I love is the interior and exterior styling... and then the sound that engine makes : :eclipsee_

'In fact, so good is the Clio 182 with the Cup chassis set-up that I feel moved to make a bold statement - I think it's the best hot hatch ever built.' (EVO Jan 04)
Old 24-09-2006, 01:58 PM   #7
donkeylover

im in melbourne.Ive looked at 206gti ive seen a few 180s for 22k look very nice best looking car out of all of them.like u said the vts (manual) would be a lot better then the seq vtr.im shocked about the insurance for the clio sport though back in england i was paying 1500pound a yr thats around $3300 i think.i think clios my number 1 choice.Let me know how the vtr drives.The new focus is nice but i hate 4 door cars and i dont think u get 3door new focususssus in oz.
Old 24-09-2006, 02:04 PM   #8
Teki04
Clio 182 CUP!

Yea, I'll agree that the 206 GTi180 does look the best, however when I look at a 182 Cup in the French Racing Blue (you had an Artic Blue right?) I think they look better :P I might be biased though... hehe

Oh ok fair enough. Your 22 or 23? Insurance shouldn't be that much here! Especially if you shop around.

Yea, I think the VTS would be better then the VTR... however it is funny that the VTS is more expensive (although being Manual!) and loses out on heaps of features (such as rain sensing wipers, auto headlights, climate control etc... but gains ESP). I'm looking forward to driving the VTR (I think the VTS and VTR look great for the price, with bodykits, 16 inch alloys, fog lights, rear wing and exposed exhaust).

Yea, unfortunately we don't have a 2dr focus here. I'm also almost certain that the 2.0L 5 Door Focus CL would be dull compared to the Fiesta Zetec or ClioSport 172

Get a 172 and get some Camber Bolts, and your set! :eclipsee_

Old 24-09-2006, 02:04 PM   #9
donkeylover

i had a MINI one.115bhp
like a mini cooper but detuned for some reason think only mini ones r sold in uk.I had 17inch s wheels full exhaust it looked very nice ile get some pics up one day.i sold that to get a 182 cos i was getting burnt off at the lights by old ladies.:-(
Old 24-09-2006, 02:07 PM   #10
Teki04
Clio 182 CUP!

OHhhhhhhhhh right. I should have noticed in your pictures that the Mini had a right side exhaust, not a centre like the Cooper S.

Well that was a logical change! I remember giving a Mini Cooper a go when I had the 1.6L WP Fiesta Zetec... Lets just say I got him, and considering he must have paid $30k for that Mini Cooper 1.6L he definitely got ripped off!

Old 24-09-2006, 02:07 PM   #11
donkeylover

http://www.carsales.com.au/pls/carsales/!cs_content.private_vehicle?total_rec=19&search_di stance=25&category_id=3&keyword=sport&model_id=395 5&state_id=-1&vehicle_id=3311210&current_rec=5&search_type=20& used_rec=9&make_id=40&sort_type=2&selected_model=4 : : :
Old 24-09-2006, 02:09 PM   #12
Teki04
Clio 182 CUP!

Quote:
Originally Posted by donkeylover
http://www.carsales.com.au/pls/carsales/!cs_content.private_vehicle?total_rec=19&search_di stance=25&category_id=3&keyword=sport&model_id=395 5&state_id=-1&vehicle_id=3311210&current_rec=5&search_type=20& used_rec=9&make_id=40&sort_type=2&selected_model=4 : : :
Come on dude, that's Lip Stick Red! ing_sm

Old 24-09-2006, 02:26 PM   #13
murcod
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

That looks nice- pity it's in WA! Being in Melbourne you should get a good selection of secondhand Clios and Peugeots. I know there were some nice low km 182's on there recently.

SA sucks for secondhand hot hatches.... :(
Old 24-09-2006, 05:58 PM   #14
simonr
Focus Rookie

If you like the clio i reckon thats the one to go for..

I still can't pick the difference between the 172 and 182 from the front anyway...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teki04

Yea, unfortunately we don't have a 2dr focus here.
LR zetec ;)!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teki04
... and went into a 182 Cup earlier this year (Jealous yet )
LOL what a fat head
Old 25-09-2006, 12:23 AM   #15
Teki04
Clio 182 CUP!

Quote:
Originally Posted by simonr
If you like the clio i reckon thats the one to go for..

I still can't pick the difference between the 172 and 182 from the front anyway...
I think so too! Go for it...

Um, well aren't you uneducated then! Colours are different (give away!) and the headlight surround is a light grey, instead of black.

Quote:
Originally Posted by simonr

LR zetec ;)!!!
I guess. Still not as much fun : :