Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 25-05-2021, 03:57 PM   #1
leesa

Default Where are you storing your window smasher?

As per topic, for those of you with emergency window breakers and seatbelt cutters, where abouts in the car are you storing them?

I obviously want it within reach of the driver's seat but not sure where the best spot is. To date I've had it in a compartment beside the steering wheel but I don't think that's a great idea, the latch is getting loose and I'm pretty confident it'll pop open in the event of a rollover and the tool will disappear somewhere out of reach. Silly me threw out the plastic holder it came in so mounting it is probably no longer an option.

Sooo.... where's yours? Pics appreciated if you have them.
  Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-05-2021, 04:10 PM   #2
lincolnland

Default Re: Where are you storing your window smasher?

In the glove box
lincolnland is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-05-2021, 04:11 PM   #3
Tucool
Donating Member
Donating Member2

That's the other use for headrests, breaking windows.

AU II XR8 Daily driver.

BF XR8 ute (Red the only true Modification) My Toy.

The boy,

XT Ute 393 cleveland.

Genuine XB GT.
Tucool is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 25-05-2021, 04:16 PM   #4
.:4:.
Kicking back

Only because i needed to replace and mount the fire extinguisher for my boat, and i know its different. I put one in my car too. Its mounted to the passengers side of the trans tunnel so easy reach and doesnt impede the driver.
.:4:. is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-05-2021, 04:38 PM   #5
leesa

Quote:
Originally Posted by lincolnland View Post
In the glove box
If your seat belt won't release would you be able to reach it while jammed in your seat? There's no way I'd be able to reach it in the glovebox, that and I'd be worried about it flying open in the event of a rollover?
Old 25-05-2021, 04:39 PM   #6
leesa

Quote:
Originally Posted by .:4:. View Post
Its mounted to the passengers side of the trans tunnel so easy reach and doesnt impede the driver.
That's not a bad option. Does it stick out like a sore thumb? Got any pics by chance?
Old 25-05-2021, 05:10 PM   #7
.:4:.
Kicking back

Quote:
Originally Posted by leesa View Post
That's not a bad option. Does it stick out like a sore thumb? Got any pics by chance?
Yes it does look a little bit out of place, but it only slightly impedes the passengers side. That doesnt concern myself as im the driver and it doesnt impede me. It is a fire extinguisher not a window smasher so it does take up a tad bit more real estate. I'll put a pic in an email.
.:4:. is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-05-2021, 05:12 PM   #8
Itsme
Experienced Member

Most doors have pockets which you can screw a clip to bottom then use a small thin cable tie to attach which can be easily broken to access these utilities. Hopefully should be in easy reach in any event.
Itsme is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 25-05-2021, 05:28 PM   #9
lincolnland

Quote:
Originally Posted by leesa View Post
If your seat belt won't release would you be able to reach it while jammed in your seat? There's no way I'd be able to reach it in the glovebox, that and I'd be worried about it flying open in the event of a rollover?
Yeah I reckon I could reach over and shimmy out thought to grab it. It's in the near side of the glove box so RTG if needed

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
lincolnland is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-05-2021, 05:36 PM   #10
aussiblue
FG XR6 Ute & Sedan
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Has been floating around the oze tech section for a long time and is always there to give advice when people have an issue. 

Quote:
That's the other use for headrests, breaking windows.
Not what they are designed for and they don't do it very well either per https://factcheck.aap.com.au/social-...glass-breakers etc

Quote:
A spokesperson for motoring organisation the NRMA told AAP FactCheck that headrests were not designed to be able to break the glass from inside a car. “Car headrests are too difficult to hold onto, you’d need to get a good swing on them and a headrest is going to fall out of your hands so they’re not designed for that,” the spokesperson said.

“If you were going to put something in the car to break glass it wouldn’t be a headrest.”

The NRMA said headrests are designed to be detachable to allow for easy adjustment of the seat and to be removed for cleaning.

And according to the NRMA, glass in cars is not designed to be easily broken and, depending on whether the glass is laminated or tinted, it can be increasingly difficult to do so.

“It’s really hard to break the glass in cars. They are designed to be difficult to break,” the spokesperson said.
Old 25-05-2021, 06:53 PM   #11
Pis-ton broke
Banned

i thought centre console , you don,t have a console?
while on the safety issue , get a 1kg fire extinguisher, after i attended a car accident, a trapped female and car was on fire, and nobody had a fire extinguisher.
Pis-ton broke is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post