Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Closed Thread

Old 20-04-2011, 07:43 PM   #1
malazn mafia
Boss 335

Default 5km/h slower and he'd only have a bruised leg

... but 5km/h faster or more and the car would have passed before he crossed the street

Do you agree/disagree with this statement?

This is probably more a philosophical question, like who came first.. the chicken or the egg.

Old 20-04-2011, 07:45 PM   #2
uranium_death
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: 5km/h slower and he'd only have a bruised leg

We don't know...
That's the thing about "**** happens"...
What if I am travelling at 105km/h and at exactly the spot where I would have been had I been going at 100km/h, a tree had fallen?

The argument is too open-ended...

Don't snap my undies.
Old 20-04-2011, 07:50 PM   #3
Krytox
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by malazn mafia
the chicken or the egg.
The mountain came before the egg in monkey magic. :P
Old 20-04-2011, 07:53 PM   #4
g220ba
FGX XR8

Perhaps if he'd looked before stepping onto the street there wouldn't be an issue?
Old 20-04-2011, 07:55 PM   #5
93EB_SXR6
I totalled my XR6

Quote:
Originally Posted by g220ba
Perhaps if he'd looked before stepping onto the street there wouldn't be an issue?
This. I'm tired of bleeding hearts that award people for being stupid.
When I was old enough to walk, I was told to look both ways before crossing the road.
Old 20-04-2011, 07:59 PM   #6
P6LTD351
Blue Blood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Professor_Evans
When I was old enough to walk, I was told to look both ways before crossing the road.
Correct. The bleeding hearts have ruined society. People need to take personal responsibility.
1986 XF Fairmont Ghia 4.1L EFI Regency Red, trip computer, venetians - 163Ks
1979 P6 LTD 351, Goldust - 185Ks
1989 Mazda MX5, Red 1.6L, 5sp manual - 102Ks
Old 20-04-2011, 08:00 PM   #7
dylancox

If the year was 1850 and the driver and pedestrian met, the pedestrian would have been bumped over by the horse, suffered grazed arms and knees, cursed and swore at the driver, then picked himself up and kept walking.

Our Australian government policy, road safety campaigns and EPA all point at one thing.. lets go back to the 1850s.
Old 20-04-2011, 08:06 PM   #8
Jim Goose
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Dunno about that, a horse can still trample someone to death!

Hind sight is always a wonderful thing however, I shoulda taken that first left, I shoulda slowed down, I shoulda paid my rego, I shoulda called a taxi....

Its like saying if i was doing 55kmh when i got to the lights and it turned yellow i coulda stopped in time, where as if you were doing 65kmh the lights wouldve been still green!!!

You cant predict what will happen.....

Don't write off the Goose until you see the box going into the hole....
Old 20-04-2011, 08:07 PM   #9
fangq

Quote:
... but 5km/h faster or more and the car would have passed before he crossed the street

This is probably more a philosophical question, like who came first.. the chicken or the egg.
Firstly, you can not change what has happened in the past. Having said that, it doesn't stop the philosophers talking about the " what ifs". Jeez, I need more wine to continue this thread :-)

Steve
Old 20-04-2011, 08:08 PM   #10
uranium_death
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by eb2monty
People need to take personal responsibility.
What kind of a fantasy world are you living in?

Don't snap my undies.
Old 20-04-2011, 08:11 PM   #11
dylancox

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Goose
Dunno about that, a horse can still trample someone to death!

Hind sight is always a wonderful thing however, I shoulda taken that first left, I shoulda slowed down, I shoulda paid my rego, I shoulda called a taxi....

Its like saying if i was doing 55kmh when i got to the lights and it turned yellow i coulda stopped in time, where as if you were doing 65kmh the lights wouldve been still green!!!

You cant predict what will happen.....
If there's such thing as fate, keep it guessing by being unpredictable.. vary your speed all the time. If I've been caught out at a set of yellows going red and need to stop, full throttle away at green will keep the next couple sets of light green for me (turbocharged car helps). Likewise if I'm a fair distance away from the next set of lights and they are green, I'll slow down as much as possible to avoid needing to wait at the lights Ever since I did this a couple of years ago (always drive different routes/different speeds when possible), accidents for me have decreased by 100%
Old 20-04-2011, 08:19 PM   #12
fmc351
let it burn

Quote:

Egg.

You cant get a chicken without an egg, but you can get an egg from a duck, emu, turtle and a myriad of other critters.

Im not touching the other part of that question.
Old 20-04-2011, 08:26 PM   #13
malazn mafia
Boss 335

Quote:
Originally Posted by fmc351
Egg.

You cant get a chicken without an egg, but you can get an egg from a duck, emu, turtle and a myriad of other critters.

Im not touching the other part of that question.
Who laid the Egg, kept it warm to stop it from dying of low temperature, and stopped the rat from eating it
Old 20-04-2011, 08:52 PM   #14
matty88

If he travelled at 200km/h, he would have passed the pedestrian before he even left his house
Old 20-04-2011, 09:01 PM   #15
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Maybe the guy should get his eyes tested seeing he couldn't see the daft bird crossing the street with no other cars in sight.....maybe he was to busy texting.
Old 20-04-2011, 09:42 PM   #16
P6LTD351
Blue Blood

Quote:
Originally Posted by uranium_death
What kind of a fantasy world are you living in?
I know, it's sad, hey?
1986 XF Fairmont Ghia 4.1L EFI Regency Red, trip computer, venetians - 163Ks
1979 P6 LTD 351, Goldust - 185Ks
1989 Mazda MX5, Red 1.6L, 5sp manual - 102Ks
Old 20-04-2011, 09:54 PM   #17
sudszy
Banned

Quote:

While most comments here a made in jest, I feel many are not getting the message of the ad.

Yes fellas, you can wax lyrical about how if you were going faster your paths wouldnt have met etc(Im sure we all know its stupid logic), but do 5km/h less and if "s.... happens" the consequences will be a lot less damaging or there may not even be consequences.

But i suppose you are all going to tell me you are better than the average person and this doesnt apply to you because you have superior road craft, can predict the unexpected, superior reflexes and all of that, yada, yada.
Old 20-04-2011, 09:56 PM   #18
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Didn't take long.
Old 20-04-2011, 10:24 PM   #19
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudszy
While most comments here a made in jest, I feel many are not getting the message of the ad.

Yes fellas, you can wax lyrical about how if you were going faster your paths wouldnt have met etc(Im sure we all know its stupid logic), but do 5km/h less and if "s.... happens" the consequences will be a lot less damaging or there may not even be consequences.

But i suppose you are all going to tell me you are better than the average person and this doesnt apply to you because you have superior road craft, can predict the unexpected, superior reflexes and all of that, yada, yada.
And if all cars were electronically limited to 20km/h NO ONE would die on the roads ever!!!!

I'm not saying we should speed, that's not my point. My point is people should take responsibility for themselves. If a pedestrian stepped onto the road without looking.... well wake up, what do you expect. The pedestrian may not of been thinking properly, or they were distracted, but that shouldn't matter. They did the wrong thing, they put themselves in the path of a car no ones fault but their own.

I bet if a car is driving along obeying the law and an idiot pedestrian steps 5 metres on front of them, the car driver will get in trouble right???

It's all a load of crap. No one wants responsibility for anything. Especially not their own actions. How could we ask such a thing of people.
Old 20-04-2011, 10:27 PM   #20
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Professor_Evans
I would like to subscribe to your magazine.

1970 XW Falcon GT replica | 1970 XW Falcon | 1971 XY Fairmont | 1973 ZG Fairlane | 1986 XF Falcon panel van | 1987 XFII Falcon S-Pack | 1988 XF Falcon GLS ute | 1993 EBII Fairmont V8 | 1996 XG Falcon ute | 2000 AU Falcon wagon | 2004 BA Falcon XT | 2012 SZ Territory Titanium AWD

Proud to buy Australian and support Ford Australia through thick and thin
Old 20-04-2011, 10:28 PM   #21
Kryton

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudszy

You better believe it.
I dont have a problem - everyone else does.
Old 20-04-2011, 10:45 PM   #22
2011G6E
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Remember the road safety advert where the showed different accidents happening? One of them was a woman walking along the footpath and stepping straight out from between parked cars to be nailed by a passing car. They ignored the fact that even if the driver had been doing 40kph instead of the legal 60kph when she stepped directly in front of it as shown, he still would have smacked her down, given normal human reaction times of a couple of seconds.

Another beauty was the speed camera one where a guy was driving long a country highway, and got flashed by a camera. The picture fades out and he is shown changing a cassette tape and drifting across a corner because he wasn't looking ahead, to have a head on with another car. Then he's shown in hospital and his angry wife hands him a speeding camera notice, and he starts tearfully saying "I'm sorry", and his lovely caring wife says "tell that to his children!".
Now, it only lasted a month or two, as most people picked holes in it straight away:
* If he'd been physically pulled over by a policeman instead of just having a photo taken, he would have been delayed, and not have been at the same place at the same time to collide with the other guy.
* How much longer after the photo was taken did he have the accident? I mean, he was shown just to keep on driving after the photo was taken, so he could have continued on happily speeding for hours before the accident.
* Even doing a legal 100kph, if you drift across the center line on a corner and hit another car head on, one or both of you are just as dead given the impact speeds.
* The infringement notice turned up a long time later...how is this an immediate deterrent like being pulled over in person by a cop and being given a stern talking to?
The list of nit-picking went on. People aren't idiots and can see when it's just plain propoganda instead of a real safety message.
Old 20-04-2011, 10:49 PM   #23
sudszy
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben73
And if all cars were electronically limited to 20km/h NO ONE would die on the roads ever!!!!

I'm not saying we should speed, that's not my point. My point is people should take responsibility for themselves. If a pedestrian stepped onto the road without looking.... well wake up, what do you expect. The pedestrian may not of been thinking properly, or they were distracted, but that shouldn't matter. They did the wrong thing, they put themselves in the path of a car no ones fault but their own.

I bet if a car is driving along obeying the law and an idiot pedestrian steps 5 metres on front of them, the car driver will get in trouble right???

It's all a load of crap. No one wants responsibility for anything. Especially not their own actions. How could we ask such a thing of people.
We have relatively low limits in suburbia because ..... happens, people step on to roads and misjudge how fast cars are going, people somehow dont see the car and pull out into the intersection, whatever, that's why we dont have 100km/h speeds in the city!
Old 20-04-2011, 10:53 PM   #24
BradZ
I'm still alive

At 55km you may just miss t-boning the drunken driver who just ran a red, but at 65km, you nail him.

There's no clear answer to this, and you can never stop people from doing stupid things.
Theres a time where 55km will not avoid impact, theres a time where 65km will also not avoid impact.

But when it does happen, 55km usually limits the amount of damage, to a certain degree.

Visual
-Lowered on SSSL's
-5000k Headlight conversion
-DJR Bobtail
-Darkest legal tint
-Tinted taillights

Audio
-Ford Premium Sound
-Pioneer 1000W 12'' Sub
-Pioneer Class D Digital 800W Amp

Performance
-Custom Cold Air Intake

Build Thread http://fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11344773
Old 20-04-2011, 10:55 PM   #25
sudszy
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011G6E
Remember the road safety advert where the showed different accidents happening? One of them was a woman walking along the footpath and stepping straight out from between parked cars to be nailed by a passing car. They ignored the fact that even if the driver had been doing 40kph instead of the legal 60kph when she stepped directly in front of it as shown, he still would have smacked her down, given normal human reaction times of a couple of seconds.

Another beauty was the speed camera one where a guy was driving long a country highway, and got flashed by a camera. The picture fades out and he is shown changing a cassette tape and drifting across a corner because he wasn't looking ahead, to have a head on with another car. Then he's shown in hospital and his angry wife hands him a speeding camera notice, and he starts tearfully saying "I'm sorry", and his lovely caring wife says "tell that to his children!".
Now, it only lasted a month or two, as most people picked holes in it straight away:
* If he'd been physically pulled over by a policeman instead of just having a photo taken, he would have been delayed, and not have been at the same place at the same time to collide with the other guy.
* How much longer after the photo was taken did he have the accident? I mean, he was shown just to keep on driving after the photo was taken, so he could have continued on happily speeding for hours before the accident.
* Even doing a legal 100kph, if you drift across the center line on a corner and hit another car head on, one or both of you are just as dead given the impact speeds.
* The infringement notice turned up a long time later...how is this an immediate deterrent like being pulled over in person by a cop and being given a stern talking to?
The list of nit-picking went on. People aren't idiots and can see when it's just plain propoganda instead of a real safety message.
Im sure you could find some fault in every ad ever done, yes nit picking is it. But from all of this "Its all bs, propaganda?" you reckon there are only telling you about people fall asleep at the wheel, have head ons and that is all faked and these accidents dont really happen and their real motive is to?
Old 20-04-2011, 10:57 PM   #26
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BradZ
At 55km you may just miss t-boning the drunken driver who just ran a red, but at 65km, you nail him.
What so save the DD to kill some ones family?
Old 20-04-2011, 11:10 PM   #27
BradZ
I'm still alive

No, but what if you have your family in the car at the time?

Visual
-Lowered on SSSL's
-DJR Bobtail
-Darkest legal tint
-Tinted taillights

Audio
-Ford Premium Sound
-Pioneer 1000W 12'' Sub

Performance
-Custom Cold Air Intake

Build Thread http://fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11344773
Old 20-04-2011, 11:13 PM   #28
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BradZ
No, but what if you have your family in the car at the time?
Bit of a chicken and egg situation isn't it.
Old 20-04-2011, 11:14 PM   #29
78xcgxl
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Post Re: 5km/h slower and he'd only have a bruised leg

I think that the the extra 5km/h does make a difference but i also think that the type of brakes the car has also plays a factor but either way you can't predict the future. Plus how could you live with yourself knowing that if weren't traveling that extra 5km/h you could of saved the life of the person you hit.
I've found the ad on youtube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iVeI6...eature=related
Old 20-04-2011, 11:14 PM   #30
BradZ
I'm still alive

Yeah all I'm saying is that neither speed will avoid every accident. There's always someone in the wrong place at the wrong time.

Visual
-Lowered on SSSL's
-DJR Bobtail
-Darkest legal tint
-Tinted taillights

Audio
-Ford Premium Sound
-Pioneer 1000W 12'' Sub

Performance
-Custom Cold Air Intake