Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 13-06-2009, 06:32 PM   #31
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jphanna
i am not a sadist. this is a ford forum and i have both brands. in last few months FORD has been in headlines for Territory BRAKE problems, and more recently the FG for brake problems. this is the important part of my communication.

1. it may only be the EGAS that has the specific brake recall problem - Joe bloggs average will only hear 'FALCON BRAKE PROBLEMS'. he will apply it to all falcons.

2. the recalls the VE have had have not hit the headlines like the territory and falcon has in recent times. maybe the media love to bag ford, they have a history of it...that may be fords fault for letting consistant problems get to media before they nipped them in the bud early.

3. is there a person out there that hasnt had a REAR window failure with a territory? put your hand up if you havnt.....this sort of ONGOING crap that ford has subjected its customers, has hurt the reputation of the falcon as well.

when holden got it wrong, it was for LESSER reasons then the BIG problems that falcon buyers copped. those BIGGER hits - resale, headgaskets, styling disasters, Brakes are what will keep the falcon a safe distance from VE.

even the collapse of GM that the media has been headlining over months has not deterred VE buyers. you would think this was the ONE chance to nail the VE with all this doom and gloom about the parent company.....
Yeh and your comparing a VE to a EA.. They are probably pretty much on par LOL...
Smoke Pursuit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-06-2009, 06:39 PM   #32
malazn mafia
Boss 335

Quote:
Originally Posted by prydey
no falcons have had brake failure!! you should be a journo with your attention grabbing antics!! rear brake lines in irs equiped ba were changed as a precaution, and now a certain batch of egas cars MAY lose power assistance. they still have brakes. just more effort req. its not like they refuse to fix the issues either.

also commodore never owned the no.1 sales spot until vt. ford dominated virtually right up until EL. maybe not every month but it finished in front often enough.

basing your opinions on a rental car is probably not the most accurate way to measure a car. rental cars don't exactly get looked after, esp the driveline. also bit hard to be objective when you are a ford fan.
My BA XT started life as a rental car and i'd imagine would have been chucked around a fair bit since new. But the body was A1 and picked it up for a song, so I think it is a fair comparo against a rental VE.

I actually got turned on to the BA after sitting in a BA taxi, quite surprisingly , so I think a rental/taxi is a good way to measure up how well a car would perform in everyday conditions.
malazn mafia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-06-2009, 06:56 PM   #33
prydey
Rob

Quote:
when holden got it wrong, it was for LESSER reasons then the BIG problems that falcon buyers copped. those BIGGER hits - resale, headgaskets, styling disasters, Brakes are what will keep the falcon a safe distance from VE.
seatbelts and fuel lines are far less important things than losing power assistance on your brakes??

Quote:
Originally Posted by benoxr
Ford 25, Holden 26, Toyota 27 since 2005 so I don't think the CEO has a real need to jump with the media hype.
all the recalls are listed out in this thread.
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...97#post2708997

getting a bit off topic now though.
prydey is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-06-2009, 07:11 PM   #34
Coogs289
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riksta
When did Ford ever have a styling disaster?
the AU perhaps? (not that I agree : )
Old 13-06-2009, 07:13 PM   #35
Auslandau
335 - STILL THE BOSS ...

Quote:
i am not a sadist. ... ETC is there a person out there that hasnt had a REAR window failure with a territory? put your hand up if you havnt.....this sort of ONGOING crap that ford has subjected its customers, has hurt the reputation of the falcon as well.

You really beleive all this? Why? You writting for the Sun of late?

What REAR window failure? No havn't had that problem and havn't heard about it. Its a shopping trolley so dont venture into the Territory section too often. 40,000 k's so far from new and been in for the brake recall. No other worries. When is it going to explode into flames? Can you ask Mr Glover when you see him next?

The reason Holdens sell? They could put a lion badge on a Skoda and it would sell! Its a love affair with the one eyed and will always be.

| [/url] |

101,436 MEMBERS ......... 101,436 OPINIONS ..... What could possibly go wrong!

Clevo Mafia
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Auslandau is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-06-2009, 07:23 PM   #36
Thankfull
Banned

Quote:
I agree with you with omega. it screams taxi pack when you get in....

I have had 2 of each of falcons and commodores. I can tell you that what hurts the image of the big aussie cars in the eyes of joe bloggs average out there, is not that the small things such as the commodore dashboard, that feels like a huyundai or whinny trans etc, but its the big ticket items that Ford gets the most attention such as BRAKE FAILURE in current models, or repeat head gasket failures in previous models.

AUSSIES ARE NOT STUPID. if every model since 1978 has been number one (with exception of XF, whick kicked commodores azz), then that tells me that either the marketing dept are bordering on genius to fool that many people over a generation.....or they dont like the fact that they been burned by owning a falcon before, and wont do it again.

I thought with the rave reviews of the FG that it would reel in the VE for sales, which is 2 years older and looking it......
Actualy I think it is more a case of Family Bias....

I come from a Ford Family going back to a A Model Ford owned by my Father, as a younger man I have noticed that my freinds who purchased Holdens when they got their first car....where raised in Families that owned a Holden as a Family car when they where a kid.

In fact I do not remember any of my freinds raised in a Family that owned a holden, ever consider buying a Ford, and Visa Versa with Fords.

Mind you my generation (post War Baby Boom) where working class, and could only afford the local X?!!box holdens elcheapo car.

I was lucky to be raised in a family that was just a little better off, so ofcourse the car our family owned was more classy better build quality...more reliable, better looking and more pleasing to the eye over all...Fords ofcourse.

When it comes to the crunch if you buy a muscle car to keep as a collectable, you always buy a Ford....only they increase in value....the Holden does not.

The GTHO Phase III is not the only example.....it is the classic example.

Thank goodness that the Family I was raised in only owned and drove Fords.

Cheers all
Thankfull is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-06-2009, 07:28 PM   #37
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by velocity_avisGT
the AU perhaps? (not that I agree : )
the AU was just ahead of its time. a well kept series 2 or 3 still looks very current regarding the styling. has aged a whole lot better than vt.
prydey is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-06-2009, 07:43 PM   #38
tapeworm
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

VT is a way better lookin unit than an AU imo
tapeworm is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-06-2009, 08:02 PM   #39
Coogs289
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
the AU was just ahead of its time. a well kept series 2 or 3 still looks very current regarding the styling. has aged a whole lot better than vt.
definitely agree with you their mate
Old 13-06-2009, 08:42 PM   #40
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Quote:
1. it may only be the EGAS that has the specific brake recall problem - Joe bloggs average will only hear 'FALCON BRAKE PROBLEMS'. he will apply it to all falcons.
Unfortunately I agree with him. There are to many people out there who don't know and think. I had a mate telling me the Falcon has brake problems (during the Territory recall). I explained to him that it was the Terri and he was saying no its the Falcon.

What doesn't help is when there's a bias by some media making sure they will stick the boot in when its over the top.

But then again Ford are selling more to private buyers as of late so I guess the media aren't doing that much damage.
Old 13-06-2009, 09:00 PM   #41
jphanna
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by auslandau
What REAR window failure?
The reason Holdens sell? They could put a lion badge on a Skoda and it would sell! Its a love affair with the one eyed and will always be.

i have a close friend who works in an SA major ford dealer and the rear window territory problem is a CONSTANT service warranty call. what about the common limp home mode problem that they have as well?

i am not one eyed. my VE makes up its mind when the ventilation system decides to work. that is a COMMON complaint with the VE......but it doesnt make it to the news like brakes problems etc.

my XE didnt cause me many problems apart from the kickback cable jamming/seizing. My VL was just like the VE, dodgy electrics right through the car. nothings changed there.

if you recon that they can put a holden badge on a skoda and it will sell....well that says a lot about the customer relations of the 2 companies. one of them isnt doing a very good job over a long period of time.

The FG is clearly a better car. It should be number 1. If ford cant figure out why its not, then how can they bridge that gap.
FG XR6 (son)
jphanna is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-06-2009, 09:14 PM   #42
jphanna
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

i think the AU XR series and the upspec FTE models have a presence on the road that even today....is pure HORN!

i luv em the older they get, and they crap on the VT.
FG XR6 (son)
jphanna is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-06-2009, 12:25 AM   #43
Auslandau
335 - STILL THE BOSS ...

Quote:
i am not one eyed. my VE makes up its mind when the ventilation system decides to work. that is a COMMON complaint with the VE......but it doesnt make it to the news like brakes problems etc.

if you recon that they can put a holden badge on a skoda and it will sell....well that says a lot about the customer relations of the 2 companies. one of them isnt doing a very good job over a long period of time.
Didnt mean you are the one who is one eyed ..... though I would call myself that regarding Fords ......

The fact is that Holden has the blind following and will have it until they build another Camira and VB combined ..... but they will still buy them. No matter what any other company does, this is a mentallity that is hard to turn around in a short time. Ford knows this .... all other manufacturers know this. Nothing about customer relations .... Holden and Ford, dealer to dealer are identical twins.

Anyway ... this is taking this away from the original post ...

VE's are bad ... mmmmkay!

| [/url] |

Clevo Mafia
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 14-06-2009, 08:56 AM   #44
Wally
XP Coupe

Can't speak for the poverty pack Holden (Omega), but I'm quite happy with the Calais 6.0. Ride is great, handling is great, etc, only real cabin noise is when I plant the foot and the exhaust springs into life. Cost me about $600 so far and that includes $260 for the 60k service
Wally is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-06-2009, 09:04 AM   #45
Bmobile
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by malazn mafia
Hey guys, just rented a VE Commo Omega in Adelaide for the day.. and what can I say.. absolutely appalling. The interior had "cheap" written all over it, substandard sound system, cheap button feel on all buttons, interior lights that don't fade in/out when switched on/off, a passenger-side glovebox that looked just like and felt as flimsy as one from a Toyota Yaris, and noisy door lock actuators that sounded almost half as bad as those from the E-series falcons. The A-pillars were like tree-stumps and really impacted visibility, and the door mirrors were too small. And to top it off, the engine was very rough, noisy and underpowered, power steering was whiny, driveline seemed very slack and jerky. Nearly all bumps on the road could be felt through the suspension. A BA taxi engine sounds like a BMW six in comparison... and I'd happily drive a BA series 1 XT over this excuse of a car anyday..

I guess the only redeeming factor I can think of is the awesome amount of legroom it gives to the front passenger and driver. The dash seems much more compact, away from the driver's legs and less 'claustrophobic' than BA/Territory/FG.

So is this what Holden comes up with when it has 1 billion to spend on designing a car? Do the higher series Commodores at least have better dash materials/etc, less engine noise, etc.
You went in winging and whining about how you have to hire a Commodore and that you are a Ford fan and why don't they have Fords for hire and they gave you their bigest dogbox of their fleet. :thebirds:
Bmobile is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-06-2009, 02:18 PM   #46
onfire
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
i think the AU XR series and the upspec FTE models have a presence on the road that even today....is pure HORN!

i luv em the older they get, and they crap on the VT.
Sadly I think 75% of VTs are either owned by young men, who pick them up cheap or people that simply dont take care of them. They'd look a whole lot better if they weren't fitted with even older Clubsport rims and the exterior fading.
onfire is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-06-2009, 02:55 PM   #47
Mr Hardware
Flairs - Truckers Delight

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: The excellent how to on LPG jet cleaning. 

Thankfull speaks a lot of truth.
My grandfather has only ever owned Holdens
My dad has only ever owned Holdens.
I really wanted to buy a Holden.
I had Holden in my blood, in my veins, imprinted on my forehead.
But why would I when the I6 is so good? All other fords can get stuffed, but the I6 is quite possibly the best motor ever made.

ps high five jphanna, you are probably one of the few people on this board who are actually truly open and honest, unbiased and able to tell the good from the bad no matter what the badge.
Old 14-06-2009, 03:13 PM   #48
gossy
CLEVO POWERED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Hardware
All other fords can get stuffed.
You really know how to stir the pot. Why don't you pull that Buick V6 out of a VT Holdon and transplant Ford's I6 into it, then you will be one content chap.
gossy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-06-2009, 04:14 PM   #49
Mr Hardware
Flairs - Truckers Delight

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: The excellent how to on LPG jet cleaning. 

Quote:
You really know how to stir the pot.
Yep.
I'm neither pro-ford or pro-holden. I just like to provide some objective perspective for you blue blooded people.
Old 14-06-2009, 08:07 PM   #50
Elks
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:

3. is there a person out there that hasnt had a REAR window failure with a territory? put your hand up if you havnt.....this sort of ONGOING crap that ford has subjected its customers, has hurt the reputation of the falcon as well.

My Hand is up.

We have an 07 Terry Ghia AWD. It's done 62000+km. Including outback with a trailer. No widow issues. No issues at all except for the brake recall, and our car had not failed. This weekend we had our 1st real spend. A set of tyres. Great car and is still in as new condition and was mistaken for a new vehicle this week.

I'll be surprised if we don't replace it with the new model next year. Waiting impatiently..Taps foot.

As I have noted before I've had issues with the Calais and not just brakes -(Note; it really belongs to my work not me, I would have bought the G6ET)

I am biased, but these are the facts.
Old 14-06-2009, 08:16 PM   #51
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Didnt mean you are the one who is one eyed ..... though I would call myself that regarding Fords ......

The fact is that Holden has the blind following and will have it until they build another Camira and VB combined ..... but they will still buy them. No matter what any other company does, this is a mentallity that is hard to turn around in a short time. Ford knows this .... all other manufacturers know this. Nothing about customer relations .... Holden and Ford, dealer to dealer are identical twins.

Anyway ... this is taking this away from the original post ...

VE's are bad ... mmmmkay!
Well said, blind brand loyalty seems strong at the darkside, despite there being no tangible reason for it...

Old 14-06-2009, 09:05 PM   #52
montyv8
Turbo Dinosaur FTMFW

I don't usually poke my heads in on these threads, you know, that old saying 'never argue with an idiot - they bring you down to their level and beat you with experience'.And i'm not really into arguing with idiots.
but I feel i'm qualified to comment on this one..
Much to a lot of peoples disgust - not that i care - I drive a VE. 6spd manual SV6 to be exact. It's a lease car through my wifes work, although i have it 90% of the time.
It's just clicked over 21000Km (picked it up with 5km on it, brand new). We took it to the summernats this year from adelaide. A few weeks ago we did Adel-syd-melb-adel. Took it over to the AFF heathcote meet last month. And, believe or not, i can't fault it. Never had a problem with it. The only thing anyone has brought up is the back seat lacks comfort on long trips of several hours or more).
Never had any issues with electrics, mechanicals, handling etc. I do however agree with the A-pillar problem. But other than that I'm very happy with it. And I'm looking forward to our new lease car this month, 6spd 6.0L SS wagon.

Come to think of it, the only person who has driven it and not liked it was my boss, who's been driving a BA typhoon for the last few years, and now has an FG XR6T (whatever they call them these days).

And yep, i'm a ford nut
Old 14-06-2009, 09:44 PM   #53
Antwon
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Yep same, Mum was thinking about buying either a VE SV6, or an FG XR6 to replace her AU. At the Holden dealer the guy came with us, and only let us have a 10 min drive because he was worried about putting km's on it (it was a demo! : ). The Ford dealer did the same, but only because someone had just bought it (they let us drive it because a driver training course bought it, so wouldnt matter anyway). But they said come back on Saturday and you can have one for the whole day, which we did.

Although i like the FG alot more, and would definatly buy it over the SV6, i really dont see whats so bad about the VE? I thought it drove really nice, interior seemed decent, and i actually think the Alloytech sounded pretty good.
Old 14-06-2009, 09:48 PM   #54
malazn mafia
Boss 335

So the general consensus is that VE Commodores arent that bad after all, and only 'Ford nuts' would look at a commodore differently and notice all the 'flaws'?

I've been in a VZ HSV Grange, and all I can say is that Holden really knows the difference between 'base model' and 'luxury', unlike Ford. The interior was simply stunning and crapped over anything Ford could have put out at the time. So I dont reckon i have anything really against Holdens, just reckon that the VE just doesnt cut it for a 2006 base model compared to its competition (didnt the ads all say the VE's competition are all still in the 'stone age').
malazn mafia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-06-2009, 09:57 PM   #55
montyv8
Turbo Dinosaur FTMFW

Quote:
So the general consensus is that VE Commodores arent that bad after all, and only 'Ford nuts' would look at a commodore differently and notice all the 'flaws'?
there's a difference between a 'ford nut' and one-eyed 'all other brands are crap coz my dad drove a ford' types though...

Last edited by DJM83; 15-06-2009 at 06:09 PM.
montyv8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-06-2009, 10:14 PM   #56
TERMINATOR X
3000 CCA STARTER MOTOR

Thought this one would of been closed by now.

I don't like VE's but there is this black ss, low as, 20 inch black rims and it just looks SICK! NICE!

But there's no way in hell i would buy one when i can buy a F A L C O N.
TERMINATOR X is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-06-2009, 10:19 PM   #57
Auslandau
335 - STILL THE BOSS ...

Quote:
The only real consensus that people like a certain car is 'Because'. The same people don't like a particular car is 'Because'.

If everyone liked the same thing we would all be driving a V8 Falcon!

| [/url] |

Clevo Mafia
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 14-06-2009, 10:20 PM   #58
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
If everyone liked the same thing we would all be driving a V8 Falcon!
Is there another option...?

Old 14-06-2009, 10:28 PM   #59
Auslandau
335 - STILL THE BOSS ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Vman
Is there another option...?
No there isn't .... and you damn well know it!

| [/url] |

Clevo Mafia
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 14-06-2009, 10:28 PM   #60
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
No there isn't .... and you damn well know it!
Just checking!!