Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Ford Car Clubs > Early Falcon Car Club of Qld Inc

Early Falcon Car Club of Qld Inc The Queensland early model Falcon Club.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 19-07-2008, 10:07 AM   #1
ken
xm ute

Default Reconditioning an XM 170 - questions

Hi all,

AM new to this list but am hoping someone would be generous with advice. I have an XM ute with (I think) a 170. The motor has been reconditioned at some stage but is due again for major surgery. I figure the easy option is to pull out this motor and hand it over to someone who knows what they are doing. My questions:

The VIN codes show that this car should have a 170 in it, but how do I check that that's what my current engine actually is?

If I am reconditioning/rebuilding, can it be 'upgraded' to a 200 equivalent or something similar? And if it can, is this a good idea?

Are there any other options/mods I should be thinking about at this stage?

Are there any engine reconditioners/mechanics in Brisbane I should talk to/trust?

Note that I'm wanting a solid reliable ute that drives well - this is not a race-car. One last question -

The ute has a three-speed column-shift with no synchro on 1st. I guess I would like to upgrade to a full-sychro box. Auto would be nice, but I hear that the 1964 auto's are a bit primative (if you can find one) and that with any conversion I need to be careful about the small tunnells in the XM's - so I figure that would all get too complicated. At this stage I think I will just sort the engine out and then deal with the gearbox next. Is that a good idea or am I missing the chance to do something good if deal with the engine and gearbox at the same time?

Thanks in advance,
kr

ken is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post