Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 02-08-2010, 01:56 PM   #1
grant
Starter Motor

Default AU2 Auto

Hi My Wagon keeps dropping back to 3rd along level road with constant accelerator, revs go from 1800 to 2600 then it changes up to 4th, it does it every few minutes. Car has done 220,000Klms oil type level etc is ok. Is it a sign that its worn out or can it be fixed adjusted etc.

grant is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-08-2010, 02:23 PM   #2
Mr Hardware
Flairs - Truckers Delight

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: The excellent how to on LPG jet cleaning. 

Hi grant

I'm guessing by 1800rpm in 4th you're doing 100kmh
check this for me
when you are going this speed, change back to 3rd manually
is it still 2600rpm?
because the AU's have quite good torque lockup in 4th, maybe it's just unlocking
when did you last have your transmission serviced?
what about your speedo, does it wobble around or is it tracking true?
could be limp-home-mode i suppose, but too often people assume its limp home mode
your box isn't banging or slipping otherwise is it?
Old 02-08-2010, 02:57 PM   #3
grant
Starter Motor

Hi Mr Hardware and thanks for your reply. You are right 1800rpm in 4th is 100kmph and 2600rpm in 3rd is 100kmph. The speedo is tracking true doesn't wobble and is reasonably accurate ie they all read a few percent high. I have noticed that it does sometimes sound like its slipping and may rev around 2100rpm in 4th at 100k, therefor I think that may be the problem.
Q. Does slipping mean a big overhaul or do they adjust something when they service it.

thanks again grant
Old 02-08-2010, 03:01 PM   #4
Mr Hardware
Flairs - Truckers Delight

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: The excellent how to on LPG jet cleaning. 

yeah grant slipping is more or less the beginning of the end
sorry to say but more than likely it will require a full rebuild
go to where all the taxis go, that way you'll get a good lasting box for the right price
don't pay more than $1500 for a fully rebuilt reco box supply and fit
some places'll try and charge you the wrong side of $2500
tell em to get stuffed
Old 03-08-2010, 05:49 PM   #5
grant
Starter Motor

Hi Mr Hardware, Thanks for the advice I was sort of dredding the news but it adds up as last time I changed the pan oil it had a fair bit of fibre material and some fine metal ie must be from a clutch plate or band if they have them. $1500 isn't too bad as I have heard they can cost around $3000. thanks I will look around for the place where they do Taxi's.