Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 25-07-2011, 09:42 PM   #1
-Slayer-
BOSPWR

Default Looking into a Mechanics trade.

Hi everyone, just want to get some feedback on becoming a motor mechanic, this is something i have been thinking about since i left school many years ago, i have been jumping from job to job chasing the money but never really being satisfied with any one job. Iv just turned 27 and think its time to just bite the bullet and take on this trade like i should have many years ago, i know money will be pretty rough while being an apprentice but im thinking i should be doing a job that i like instead of jobs that are ok just for the money alone. would just like to get some input on where i should start, books that i should track down to help along the way, people i should talk to etc.Any help appreciated thanks.

-Slayer- is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-07-2011, 09:48 PM   #2
JG34JA

Default Re: Looking into a Mechanics trade.

Very interesting! I've got 9 years on you and have always wanted to do a similar thing! (The curse of being "smart" at school was that traditional trades were not encouraged in our family...) Mechanics, engineering, fabrication, fitter/turner, I'd also like to hear the opinions of those who developed the skills

As a young bloke I pretty much rebuilt all my old carbied Kingswoods, Falcons and Fairmonts: repair manuals, friends and the bribe of a carton for help/equipment are great teachers. It was a very proud moment when I fixed the fuel system in an old carby'd 383 boat faster than the nephew, who was trained in the new computer age...
JG34JA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-07-2011, 10:15 PM   #3
Eaturbo
BUILT FORD TUFF

I would not do mechanic trade. I am one and there is no money in it. Do a diesel fitting trade. Heaps of work all round the world, massive shortage of them. You can work for a mine or a mining company in any major town like Caterpillar/ Komatsu and as there is alot of work for diesel fitters in the Truck/Bus area as well in all towns. Even if you work on Trucks and Buses there is good money to be earned due to the mining taking all the diesel fitters. Cars are getting way to complicated to keep up with and the little workshops are getting far and few between due to the huge cost of buying the tools as well as the fact they still have to go back to the dealer for some special jobs. The other job is an Electrican as there is heaps of mining related work in towns and at the mines. You can also do house electrical with little more than a few tools and a ladder and your own ute.
You might enjoy working on cars now but once you have been doing it for 10 years you will change your mind, also do you want to be bending over a car at 60. You might earn $60,000 as a mechanic and $120,000 per year as a diesel fitter, electricans in town can earn $100,000 per year or up to $200,000 working for themselves.

Last edited by Eaturbo; 25-07-2011 at 10:20 PM.
Eaturbo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-07-2011, 10:29 PM   #4
JG34JA

Thanks Eaturbo, some wise words there.
JG34JA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-07-2011, 10:31 PM   #5
Tickford Kid
Formerly known as TS 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaturbo
I would not do mechanic trade. I am one and there is no money in it. Do a diesel fitting trade. Heaps of work all round the world, massive shortage of them. You can work for a mine or a mining company in any major town like Caterpillar/ Komatsu and as there is alot of work for diesel fitters in the Truck/Bus area as well in all towns. Even if you work on Trucks and Buses there is good money to be earned due to the mining taking all the diesel fitters. Cars are getting way to complicated to keep up with and the little workshops are getting far and few between due to the huge cost of buying the tools as well as the fact they still have to go back to the dealer for some special jobs. The other job is an Electrican as there is heaps of mining related work in towns and at the mines. You can also do house electrical with little more than a few tools and a ladder and your own ute.
You might enjoy working on cars now but once you have been doing it for 10 years you will change your mind, also do you want to be bending over a car at 60. You might earn $60,000 as a mechanic and $120,000 per year as a diesel fitter, electricans in town can earn $100,000 per year or up to $200,000 working for themselves.
Hit the nail on the head!
BLUEPRINT T3 TS50 #109, MANUAL WITH BREMBOS
Tickford Kid is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-07-2011, 10:35 PM   #6
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

I was an apprentice motor mechanic at a Honda dealership, dealerships are the worst, they treat their mechanics like crap, to a big company like that you're just a number. Being the mechanics you're also the scum of the dealership hireachy, the only people below you will be the car washers and both groups are treated like such by everyone else.

There is no money in it, the highest paid mechanic on our workshop floor was on $20 an hour, our foreman was on roughly $24 an hour.

The work is crap too, lots of heavy lifting, its very dirty and if you work at a dealership you could count on one hand for your work:

- Minor services
- Major services
- Tyre fitting
- Wheel balancing
- Wheel alignments

I'm an apprentice auto electrician now (but we're more manufacturing, than fixing faults) and while the money and conditions are much better than mechanics, the money is still crap, we're on $25 an hour as qualified.

Do a pre apprenticeship course in mechanical and see how you like it, it'll teach you all the basic skills to pulling down and reconditioning a 5sp manual gearbox.

Have a look at all the 40 year old mechanics, they've all got dodgy backs and fluid in their knees, our workshop was like the walking wounded and the fresh meat apprentices.
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-07-2011, 11:05 PM   #7
DJR-351
I am Groot
Donating Member3

Hi slayer,

If you like mucking around with motors get into the heavy diesel stuff. I have three marine engineers on board and the lowest paid is the 2nd engineer and he is on $140k a year....(for six months work!)

Thats 4 weeks on 4 weeks off, you work away at sea for 6 months a year, but thats six months a year at home!!

But of course, first you have to do the apprenticeship....

"Those were the days when the cars were cars, they weren't built out of an Ikea pack like they are now and clothed in plastic; they were real cars." John Bowe
DJR-351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-07-2011, 09:10 AM   #8
4.0i_SiX
SiX_iN_a_RoW

Yep as said above dont do. There are far easier ways to make a (better) living. I wish I did something else...

You get paid bugger all to crawl around in grease and grime all day, then get abused when the customers car gets a flat tyre 2 weeks later haha
Old 26-07-2011, 09:37 AM   #9
sirlc6

I have been a mechanic for 11 years and now looking at getting out of the trade because of the crap pay/working conditions. In saying that I enjoy fixing cars. If you are that set on doing an apprentice ship do it as a diesel mechanic they get way better money and can lead to alot of better jobs. Having that under your belt you could get a job in the mines and earn alot more.
Paul
sirlc6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-07-2011, 10:12 AM   #10
nb_351
building the xe...

same here, i started off as light vehicle, in a dealership and it was rubbish...
then went to a govt job at an army base which was awesome, but again pay wasnt crash hot, 24/hour qualified... they paid for course to convert me from light to heavy/diesel mechanic though...
then got my ticket for plant/machinery the same way through tafe in a night course one day a week... you can get 40odd an hour if you find the right plant job, im on 33 an hour now, with company service van etc doing night shift truck/trailer repairs for a transport fleet... i love it, but its not for everyone...
dont waste your time with light vehicle, if your going to do it, go to diesel as stated, or better off dont do it at all haha in saying that you do learn a lot of stuff...
nb_351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-07-2011, 10:34 PM   #11
Windsor220
Now Fordless

You want to be a mechanic because you have a passion for cars but you wont have any passion pumping out service after service in a workshop somewhere. I'm light vehicle mechanic and I have just had a break for a few months from it but returned just yesterday for extra money. Already sick of it.
Windsor220 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-07-2011, 10:35 PM   #12
Eaturbo
BUILT FORD TUFF

Quote:
Originally Posted by JG34JA
Thanks Eaturbo, some wise words there.
No worries mate, glad to share my experience. I now operate big 250 tonne Cat 793 rear dump trucks at the mines on $120k per year. This is a good job to get. Heater in winter and A/C in summer and CD player all day. But not a job you can do in town. Get a Diesel or electrical trade first then you can do whatever you like after that and it can be either mine or city/town based. Good luck
Old 28-07-2011, 11:54 PM   #13
-Slayer-
BOSPWR

Well it's kinda putting me off now, havnt really heard many good points, besides working on cars, but I wouldn't want to kill my passion for them, hard decision to make, maybe I'll check out some other trades, thanks for the inputs guys much appreciated.

-Slayer- is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-07-2011, 01:01 AM   #14
chevypower
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I am 31, and sick of working in sales jobs. I have a passion for cars but I honestly do not enjoy working on them (except for easy stuff), At the start of this year I finally decided to go back to school and study psychology. I am going to go all the way with a doctorate. It's never too late for a career change, do what you really want to do in life, and give it your absolute best shot! Best of luck!
chevypower is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-07-2011, 01:39 AM   #15
FG50T
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I'm a dealership mechanic and it's a job where you get payed much less than you deserve. Most people do it because they have a passion for cars and although the jobs **** and pays **** I'm lucky I have enough enthusiasm for cars to get me through the days happily unlike the majority of the blokes I'm with.

I wouldn't recommend doing a heavy vehicle/diesel trade if you have no real interest for it. Cash is better but it's not something many people love doing, just a better paying version of mechanic and imo you're better off looking at another.

If you think you'll like the job then I say do it. I'm happy with the trade and it's a shame the wage is a let down or else I'd be happy to do it long term.
FG50T is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-07-2011, 02:15 AM   #16
JG65TE
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I have my cert 3 automotive as well as diplomas automotive technology and automotive management. There is no way I will ever swing a spanner again for a boss. I only work on my own stuff now. Its not a well paid job and bending over cars all day is the pits. My boy is a apprentice at holden (sigh) and he himself calls him a filter monkey. Not much to get your teeth ino at a dealership. Broken gearbox ?. pull it and send to the experts. He computer tunes, changes oils, wheel aligns and wipes the windscreen. If you know a trade .... then teach it.
JG65TE is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-07-2011, 07:32 AM   #17
falconhell74
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

If you love cars & are serious about an apprentaship try & get one with Lube mobile I worked for them for 3 years the money is a little bit better than dealer ships but not much but atleast you will eventually get to go out on the road & do brakedowns , diagnostics etc Its $h!t loads better than being stuck in a workshop all day every day & you get to work on a lots of diffrent cars, $h!t boxes to GT's & porshe's allways some thing diffrent & challengers , something to wrap your head arround not just oil change after oil change. that said if its money you are after go the heavy deisle mechanic as per rest of replies , Im on $33h as work shop manager / field service fixing scissorlifts & booms etc I get out & about & plenty of opertunity for over time

Audi A4 S-line quttro
Xc falcon
Previous fords-
xc falcon 500 ,250 x flow 3 speed
xc gs worked 250 x flow 4 speed
xa Fairmont 302 auto wagon
xb falcon 250 log auto 4 door
xb falcon 200 log auto ute
xc gs project - had to sell :-(
xc gs 302 4 speed 4 door
xc gs 351 auto 4 door
zf fairlane 302 auto
zk fairlane 250 x flow carb auto
zl fairlane 250 x flow EFI auto
xg ute , BA falcon dedicated gas
xd, xf x 3 ,ea,eb,ef,au x 3,telstar tx5
falconhell74 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-07-2011, 08:05 AM   #18
GS608
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Never turn your hobby into your career. If you love working on cars now you won't once you become a mechanic, after spending all day under and on top of everyone elses ride the last thing you'll want to do is come home and do more of the same.
GS608 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-07-2011, 10:39 AM   #19
tweeked
N/A all the way

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5.0
Never turn your hobby into your career. If you love working on cars now you won't once you become a mechanic, after spending all day under and on top of everyone elses ride the last thing you'll want to do is come home and do more of the same.
+1 on this

It is a sure way to start hating one of your favourite things..

There is a reason why we get paid to work, I wish we could all love our jobs but that is like finding unicorn pooh. Just list what you are after and your skills. If earnings are high on the want list then be prepared to take on something you like less, if lifestyle, then be prepared to earn less.

If you find it hard taking orders, find something where you are your own boss or similar (look for possibly something franchised, like a gardening franchise or owner operator, like a owner driver courier) If you are not a self starter then do not do this.

tweeked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-07-2011, 11:03 AM   #20
comagutsa
Pethy FG XR8 Ute

i'm also 1 of these old mechanics that doesnt do it any more
did my apprenticeship at backshall ford (Fremantle) way back in 94 and after 3 years i got out of there and did my last year in a small workshop and learnt more in that 1 year at a small workshop than i did in 3 years at Ford...like they say your just a number and everything is time based...if you take to long they wont give it to you again...so how are you to learn

i used my trade to go around australia for a few years which was great and i used it to get my foot in the door or the mining industry (started out as a drill fitter back in 2002) but got out of fitting as soon as i could and became a shotfirer and only ever tinker on cars now or fix my own
i always wish i did a plumber or electrician but enjoy blowing **** up now
if you did do your apprenticeship i would suggest trying to do it in the mines or get a job in the mines as soon as you became qualified to make the money
now fitted with Koya Inox R1's, the rears are 20x10 with a 40mm offset and the fronts are 20x8.5 with a 35mm offset

total of 285.5 rwkw and 642nm
when Herrod cams in 290rwkw

GSXR 750K7 with goodies, dyno'd 136rwhp,
10.567sec for the strip
comagutsa is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post