Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Focus

Old 14-09-2011, 10:56 PM   #151
focus36
Starter Motor

Default Re: Time to mod my LV

Ok here goes.
This is what I paid, not including gst.

Mazda 3 header 4-1 SS (stainless steel) - $436
Mazda 3 sp23 hi flow cat - $236
PSA-90 check engine adaptor 90' - $87

I like the front Conrad,very neat.

Depending on size differences between cats they may have to add or cut out some of your current system, but certainly they would be able to fit the headers and cat into what you have. Exhaust places should all do custom work, so they'll be able to make it work
focus36 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-09-2011, 11:04 PM   #152
ConradP

Thank you very much kind sir
Old 14-09-2011, 11:22 PM   #153
DZFord
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: LS Focus PCV Valve & Hose replacement, a very detailed write up with photos. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJM83
He wont be bothering this place again. As you were guys.
Thank you DJM83.

Quote:
Originally Posted by focus36
What are your thoughts on your throttle body DZ?
Whilst the original 55mm throttle body isn't the greatest restriction on the Focus, upgrading it to a 60mm unit definitely helps with throttle response and also opened up the top end a bit. They used to be a lot cheaper (Ford Europe increased the cost) and were a much better bang for your back mod back then.
DZFord is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-09-2011, 11:23 PM   #154
focus36
Starter Motor

No problem, now get those headers and cat on there
focus36 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-09-2011, 04:25 PM   #155
casabonka
You can call me Chris

Quote:
Originally Posted by DZFord
Thank you DJM83.
Whilst the original 55mm throttle body isn't the greatest restriction on the Focus, upgrading it to a 60mm unit definitely helps with throttle response and also opened up the top end a bit. They used to be a lot cheaper (Ford Europe increased the cost) and were a much better bang for your back mod back then.
I've been looking online lately for the TB also - very surprised at how much they are, I think they are more than double that what you said you paid? Im still keen, though with a wedding in 2 months the CFO has cut all spending!!
- maybe next year
-Rear Whiteline swaybay
-Lenso 18's w/Kumho rubber
-Tinted Windows
casabonka is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-09-2011, 06:33 PM   #156
ConradP

New headlights got delivered today will be doing my best to fit them in tomorrow!

Just a little sneak peak.

Last edited by ConradP; 16-09-2011 at 06:45 PM.
ConradP is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-09-2011, 08:15 PM   #157
Russ
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Contributor: For members who make a contribution worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Very helpful and gracious with photoshop work to help others.. 

Cars looking good mate. I was considering a set of these for the Zetec, are these the one's from eBay ? Be interested to hear how you go with them and if they're an improvement over the stock lights at night

Last edited by Russ; 16-09-2011 at 08:21 PM.
Russ is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-09-2011, 09:10 PM   #158
ConradP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ
Cars looking good mate. I was considering a set of these for the Zetec, are these the one's from eBay ? Be interested to hear how you go with them and if they're an improvement over the stock lights at night
Thanks!

Yeah they are the mars performance ones off ebay, expensive, but they look nice, so here's hoping they do a good job I'll see tomorrow night I guess.
Old 16-09-2011, 09:36 PM   #159
In Focus
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I'm wondering if it's possible to install the Apollo CAI into the stock airbox for a stealthy stock look, maybe run the intake tube through the aperture left in the right hand side after the stock filter is removed? Or even leave the stock intake to add extra cold air to "bathe" the Apollo in.

Just idle thoughts. Probably when I try to install it, I'll realise there's barely enough room for the Apollo on its own.

Hers: 2020 Ford Puma JK: 1.0 Ecoboost 3-cylinder, 7-speed DCT in Frozen White.
In Focus is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-09-2011, 09:44 PM   #160
ConradP

Quote:
Originally Posted by In Focus
I'm wondering if it's possible to install the Apollo CAI into the stock airbox for a stealthy stock look, maybe run the intake tube through the aperture left in the right hand side after the stock filter is removed? Or even leave the stock intake to add extra cold air to "bathe" the Apollo in.

Just idle thoughts. Probably when I try to install it, I'll realise there's barely enough room for the Apollo on its own.
There really is no room to play with, in my last pic of how I've re-positioned it you can see there's little to no room to the left, that's the front of the car behind the passenger light, and then to the right there's only about 10cm, I highly doubt it will be able to fit into the stock air box as well it's not that great in size, the apollo isn't huge but compared to the room we have available it is!
Old 17-09-2011, 11:35 AM   #161
ConradP

Headlights are in! I'll take some pics later today when I can be bothered. Amazingly simple to change, one screw and 2 clips, can be done with just a flathead screwdriver and 10 mins, being aftermarket headlights the fit isn't what I'd say perfect, but when standing back you don't even notice, there's a slightly bigger gap between headlight and bonnet.

Currently got tape around the new chrome thing I put on the grille, it wasn't holding with the 3m tape it had with it so I went out and got an epoxy resen soo here's hoping that will hold it in the few places that it was coming loose.
Old 17-09-2011, 12:27 PM   #162
In Focus
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Yeah, you're right about the amount of room. I just had a look this morning, and as you'd expect the stock airbox fits the available space very well - as if it was designed for it! I still think I can leave the shortened intake in there - whether it'll help at all is a different story, though.

Old 17-09-2011, 02:26 PM   #163
DZFord
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: LS Focus PCV Valve & Hose replacement, a very detailed write up with photos. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by casabonka
I think they are more than double that what you said you paid?
Yeah I think they have doubled in price. Same part, just twice the $$$.
Old 18-09-2011, 03:32 PM   #164
ConradP

Just did a nice little clean so a few photos of the new headlights

And some of the exhaust because I never actually put up any of them!

Best camera work I've done on that last shot.
Old 18-09-2011, 03:43 PM   #165
Russ
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Contributor: For members who make a contribution worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Very helpful and gracious with photoshop work to help others.. 

All blending in nicely mate, good tasteful mods What's the verdict with the lights ? Did you try them at night yet ?

Cheers
Old 18-09-2011, 03:50 PM   #166
ConradP

Quote:
All blending in nicely mate, good tasteful mods What's the verdict with the lights ? Did you try them at night yet ?

Cheers
Yeah I tried them out last night, used them while there was still light and was told they were crooked so got out the old flathead and pushed them in a bit more, and seemed to do the trick, work fine and the high beams are all good as well.

Only downfall is they aren't exactly day time running lights because there is no power going there from start so I need to turn them on, but I generally drove with the fogs on beforehand so no difference! Also the fit still isn't perfect but it's not noticeable really unless you get up close and look, there's a bigger gap under the lights than there should be.

I'm really contemplating getting the rears from the same joint, the black with LED's, but they will be another $300 or something so that wont be for a while now if I decide on that.

Last edited by ConradP; 18-09-2011 at 04:01 PM.
ConradP is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-09-2011, 05:56 PM   #167
Russ
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by ConradP
Yeah I tried them out last night, used them while there was still light and was told they were crooked so got out the old flathead and pushed them in a bit more, and seemed to do the trick, work fine and the high beams are all good as well.

Only downfall is they aren't exactly day time running lights because there is no power going there from start so I need to turn them on, but I generally drove with the fogs on beforehand so no difference! Also the fit still isn't perfect but it's not noticeable really unless you get up close and look, there's a bigger gap under the lights than there should be.

I'm really contemplating getting the rears from the same joint, the black with LED's, but they will be another $300 or something so that wont be for a while now if I decide on that.
The DRL's might need to wired to an individual relay with an on / off switch so you can turn them on and off that way. My son has a MK6 VW Golf GTI with Bi Xenon lights and DRL's built in (similar to the one's you have) only difference is that his fade automatically when headlights are turned on because they are super bright during the day and would be far too bright to oncoming drivers if left on at night. I am pretty happy with mine now I have managed to adjust them so they light up the road and not the tree tops, I upgraded the bulbs as well which made a big difference too.
Old 21-09-2011, 07:12 PM   #168
ConradP

Would a xr5 front bar fit onto mine? There's one on ebay for $100, I'd need to get it painted again and get the current front grille for it but that's all, seems like a steal, so just wondering if it would be a direct fit onto my car. Also if anyone knows where I could get the grey grille thing that goes with it?

Here it is:
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/320757846...#ht_500wt_1156
Old 21-09-2011, 08:04 PM   #169
Russ
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Would a xr5 front bar fit onto mine? There's one on ebay for $100, I'd need to get it painted again and get the current front grille for it but that's all, seems like a steal, so just wondering if it would be a direct fit onto my car. Also if anyone knows where I could get the grey grille thing that goes with it?

Here it is:
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/320757846...#ht_500wt_1156
I'm not sure about the fitment mate, it might be OK but the only way to know for sure would be to check the measurements on the mounting points and see if they line up or not. I know from what I've seen with the rear bars that the mounts are obviously in a different position because of the dual exhaust cutouts. Maybe contact a Ford or a wrecker and see if they have any idea ? Just noticed that one on eBay has gone through as well :(
Old 22-09-2011, 12:00 AM   #170
mondo_broady
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

you might find the xr5 wheel arches are flared a bit more?? i know that is an issue for guys who are trying fit RS bars onto their XR5, so maybe you might encounter the same thing??

New ride: 2010 LV Focus XR5 - Moondust Silver - More mods than you can poke a stick at
mondo_broady is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-09-2011, 07:29 PM   #171
ConradP

Cheers guys, did a bit of looking around and it seems it would end up just being more of a hassle than anything.
Old 24-09-2011, 04:11 PM   #172
ConradP

After many weeks of waiting, the DHL tracking on my Eibach springs says they have arrived in Australia, looks like this will be a nice week
Old 27-09-2011, 06:49 PM   #173
ConradP

Alright, springs have arrived and I've booked Ringwood Pedders for the weekend. Price does seem a bit steep but There's not much to pick from that I know of, $295 for installing the springs and $155 for a full wheel alignment, drop it off at 8 pick up at 12. What do you guys think of the price there? The guy seemed kinda bitchy too, told me in a real non friendly way if I'm not going to make it to call because he's moved someone else's appointment to fit me in, sure it's nice that he fit me in but he didn't need to sound like a jerk.
Old 27-09-2011, 07:25 PM   #174
casabonka
You can call me Chris

im so jealous! Im hoping after my wedding (november) the spending ban is lifted and I can pick up a set... maybe...
-Rear Whiteline swaybay
-Tinted Windows
Old 27-09-2011, 08:22 PM   #175
In Focus
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Sounds about right for the spring install, but the wheel alignment might be a bit high.

Incidentally, how much clearance has the right-angled silicone tube between the throttle body and the Apollo got before you clamp it? I've just received my e-bay special bend, but it looks suspiciously like the internal diameter is only 60mm, rather than the 70mm it's supposed to be...

Old 27-09-2011, 08:39 PM   #176
Russ
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by casabonka
im so jealous! Im hoping after my wedding (november) the spending ban is lifted and I can pick up a set... maybe...
Marriage is for poorer or poorer, all that you have you give to her and she takes it

Then in time along come the kids and it starts all over again
Old 27-09-2011, 08:52 PM   #177
casabonka
You can call me Chris

Quote:
Marriage is for poorer or poorer, all that you have you give to her and she takes it

Then in time along come the kids and it starts all over again
so you're suggesting give up and just be happy how the focus is as it will stay that way for a long time??
-Rear Whiteline swaybay
-Tinted Windows
Old 27-09-2011, 09:00 PM   #178
ConradP

Quote:
Sounds about right for the spring install, but the wheel alignment might be a bit high.

Incidentally, how much clearance has the right-angled silicone tube between the throttle body and the Apollo got before you clamp it? I've just received my e-bay special bend, but it looks suspiciously like the internal diameter is only 60mm, rather than the 70mm it's supposed to be...
It fits snugly over it being the 70mm one, but i can still twist it and whatnot, so the clamp is pretty right over it to stop that, sounds like you got shafted :(
Old 27-09-2011, 10:00 PM   #179
DZFord
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
I've just received my e-bay special bend, but it looks suspiciously like the internal diameter is only 60mm, rather than the 70mm it's supposed to be...
If it's 60mm, send it back. There's no way it will fit over the throttle body.
Old 27-09-2011, 10:02 PM   #180
DZFord
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Alright, springs have arrived and I've booked Ringwood Pedders for the weekend. Price does seem a bit steep but There's not much to pick from that I know of, $295 for installing the springs and $155 for a full wheel alignment, drop it off at 8 pick up at 12. What do you guys think of the price there? The guy seemed kinda bitchy too, told me in a real non friendly way if I'm not going to make it to call because he's moved someone else's appointment to fit me in, sure it's nice that he fit me in but he didn't need to sound like a jerk.
Ringood Pedders did my springs, shocks, camber kit install and wheel alignment and it came to about $500 total. Those quoted prices are spot on for what Pedder's charge, including the wheel alignment, I rang several outlets. The guy that I dealt with was fine, really helpful. Must of got another guy or the same dude on a bad day!