Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 10-10-2005, 11:53 PM   #1
AUIII

Default Ford warranty

I brought my AUIII recently with 44,000 ks and it came with a 3 year warranty as long it was serviced every 15,000 ks with the dealership .

I have had my previous fords serviced at this dealership before and regularly had to take them back to have problems re fixed and re fixed and was very unsatisfied with their work.

I finally found a local mechanic that I have used for the past couple of years and am extremely happy with. Is it worth risking my warranty by going to a mechanic that I trust and now will do the job properly

AUIII is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-10-2005, 12:09 AM   #2
Timeshift

Your warranty won't be affected if you go to the big chains only... ultra tune etc.

The local around the corner single business mechanic, very easy for Ford to tell you where to go.
Timeshift is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-10-2005, 10:34 AM   #3
geckoGT
Ich bin ein auslander

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always level headed and i notice him being the voice of reason when a thread may be getting heated 

I was under the impression that as long as they are a liscenced mechanic and they stamp the book correctly there is nothing ford can do about it. You could always querie fair trading about it.
Old 11-10-2005, 10:40 AM   #4
Yaw
Ford Fanatic

Just be careful that if its a used vehicle the extended warranty they give may in fact be dealer specific. I have one myself. My car is a 2001 Ford Escape, I purchased it in Feb of this year and it has 90000 klm on it. I bought it from Byrne Ford with an extended warranty of 3 years / 175000 kms.
Using this warranty can only be serviced by Byrne Ford, its in the wording they will not recognise servicing even at a different ford dealer.
Old 11-10-2005, 11:13 PM   #5
chippa6
Novice Professional

exactly right - these are like the harrier warranties, I had one when i purchased my XR6 last year but the dealership was too far away - and paying $200 only for an oil change with crap oil was very appealing. very simple, to keep the warranty get it serviced at ford, but make sure you check the price and frequency of the service intervals. on top of this have a good read through what the warranty covers, it isn't that great cause normally they will only contribute e.g. $1000 to the repairs, and you can imagine that ford will over quote by a similar amount cause you have to get it repaired there to get any money back. you could probably get it cheaper by your mechanic if something did go wrong.

A lot to think about because as soon as you miss the first service interval its all over.

Chippa
Old 11-10-2005, 11:26 PM   #6
zetec
Zoom Zoom

There is only one Ford Warranty - FACTORY Ford Warranty 3yr/100,000km from Brand new, or up to 5yrs/160,000km if extended at time of pruchase. Anything else is a Dealer specific, aftermarket or plain wrong.
Old 11-10-2005, 11:26 PM   #7
b2tf
not here much anymore

They are utter s**t. I have one on the Focus, dealer specific, and I intend on voiding it and, if possible, wiping my **** with the paper it is written on, thats all it is good for.

No way in hell am I going to pay some idiot mechanic who doesnt even know what size engine a Focus has $200 to change my oil with Home Brand 44 gallon drum junk. I'd rather lose my warranty and take my chances with a mechanic I trust and who charges reasonable prices. And most important of all - he RESPECTS MY CAR!
Old 13-10-2005, 11:23 AM   #8
AUIII

It is a dealer specific warranty. I think I will do what you do back2thefutura and take it to my local mechanic, knowing that the job will be done right by the owner of the company, not some poor 16 year old apprentice who has been told by a busy dealership to service my car. and the money I save can be used for any unforseen problems that the warranty would of covered.

Praise the ford
AUIII is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-10-2005, 02:19 PM   #9
xr8 007
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i had a good long think and i did the oil change my self!! usually ford au services up to 60000 kays are free!! so i did the 60kay one at only 57*** took it home and changed the oil with mobil 1 oh and put a motocraft filter as well. no way in the world can they find out..well i hope not anyways
xr8 007 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-10-2005, 02:23 PM   #10
sickxr
Ford POWER!

Yeah after having my xr6 for 6months from metro used ford i got a letter in the mail yesterday saying your service is due and that if i want to keep my harrier warranty i need to get them to do it for only $149 lol. Seeing that ive already done 25k on it sincie ive got it ive serviced it myself twice already, they can forget it.
sickxr is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-10-2005, 06:02 PM   #11
xr8 007
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i dont know how they are allowed to charge so much for an oil and filter change, which is done by an apprentice anyways!! Do you go to a "school" hairdresser and pay the full amount!!! NO!!! I put the best oil in my car with a genuine oil fitler and it was still no where near what they were charging!!
xr8 007 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-10-2005, 11:19 PM   #12
b2tf
not here much anymore

Quote:
Originally Posted by xr6007
i dont know how they are allowed to charge so much for an oil and filter change, which is done by an apprentice anyways!! Do you go to a "school" hairdresser and pay the full amount!!! NO!!! I put the best oil in my car with a genuine oil fitler and it was still no where near what they were charging!!
You would be amazed how many people do actually pay their prices though, because they fall for the "nobody knows your Ford like we do" - there is a reason nobody does!