Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 22-11-2008, 10:35 PM   #1
RG
Back to Le Frenchy

Default Brake Pads

Has anyone ever heard of or used TRW brake pads? They are made by Lucas and according to the local brake shop are a pretty decent pad. They use them for race purposes in Porches (the old 80's cheap ones) and reckon they are pretty good things.

I can get these for dirt cheap due to them having a little boo boo (see other thread of mine) with my brakes.

07 Renault Sport Megane F1 Team R26 #1397
RG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-11-2008, 01:00 AM   #2
5.0 ED
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: has helped a number of AFF members with their cars, particularly with EEC tuning Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with sound technical advice. 

I know about your other thread and i can tell you that i can get you RDA slotted rotors for $130, but with no pads. Personally I've used expensive brands and cheap ones as well at times, the thing is km per $ wise most cheap pad's make up for it in their life, but the $ pads always wear the disc out quicker. Pad's i've tried

Bendix ultimates - wear out disc's and don't work when cold. Very long life.
Bendix premiums - wear out disc's, ok peddle feel. Very Long life.
EBC Greens - I found these to stop pretty good, but are a very hard pad, nearly where out a new set of disc's by the time the pad wears out.
federal mogul's ferodo - TRW?? these pads are soft, peddle has more play cause of it, but have very little wear on disc's. and cover your wheels is black dust bad.
Masterparts - I like em, $20 a pad, don't last long, but don't wear disc's out and yet don't seem to cover the wheel in dust, And yet peddle still feel's nice.
RDA - Not happy with em at all, bad peddle feel, barely stopped with em, bad squealling problem, didn't even leave em in long enough to comment on life/disc wear.

Hope this is some help. I have no idea why but i do believe that TRW and ferodo is owned by the same company?
Old 23-11-2008, 01:36 AM   #3
FTE217
T3/Sprint8
Donating Member2

TRW pads are not from the Ferodo side.
Russell if you like dust TRW is your friend, I have them on the front, yer they stop ok wouldnt rave about them and have at times squeak. TBH can't wait to ---- them off which will be within the week.
I have used many like the post above and in the garage is another set of Bendix HD's which I have used before and am happy enough for the spirited driving I do, you got to have the compramise of rotor wear for a decent enough pad which I couldn't care about anyway.
These HD's arn't the ants pants but do the job and importantly half the dust of those dirty TRW's and Lucas product, never again.
"Don't believe everything you read on the internet. Abraham Lincoln"
FTE217 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-11-2008, 01:51 AM   #4
5.0 ED
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: has helped a number of AFF members with their cars, particularly with EEC tuning Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with sound technical advice. 

Ferodo's are made by federal mogul like many many other brands, Abex, AE, ANCO, Atlas, Beral, Carter, Champion, DURON, Fel-Pro, Ferodo, FP Diesel, Glyco, Goetze, Moog, National, Necto, Nüral, Payen, PowerMAX, Precision, Raimsa, Sealed Power, Speed-Pro, Wagner Brake Products, Wagner Lighting. To be exact.

What i am saying is that i believe the TRW pad could in fact be a federal mogul brand pad rebranded as TRW. But i could be completely wrong, yet you discription of them of high dust etc, does seem to match what the ferodo's are like.

The masterparts i listed above - should actually be PowerMax, my mistake, but to date they are my favourite pad i have had, and yet only $20 a pair.
Old 23-11-2008, 11:35 AM   #5
SirHenry
Falcon Unbelievable!

TRW are the parent company that own and make Lucas. I Love my Lucas brake pads very good value for $. They do have a lot of brake dust though. If only I could find a halfway decent rotor to go with them.

http://www.trw.com

Sorry not sure how to put the hyperlink in, but if you have a read through history on this mob they have been around for a loooong time and have a good history with Ford.

Last edited by SirHenry; 23-11-2008 at 11:47 AM.
SirHenry is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-11-2008, 11:58 AM   #6
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Well thought out and constructive posts.  A real credit to this forum. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5.0whiteaughia
......RDA - Not happy with em at all, bad peddle feel, barely stopped with em, bad squealling problem, didn't even leave em in long enough to comment on life/disc wear.
this is concerning to me. I bought RDA's with my slotted rotors. I might go get some Powermax's if you think they are better than the RDA's.

I too would prefer to chew some meat out of the rotors in lieu of better braking etc.

Any where special you can buy Powermax from?

2022 Mazda CX5 GTSP Turbo

2018 Hyundai Santa Fe Highlander

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2021 Subaru Outback Sport
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 AU2 75th Anniversary Futura
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1984 Datsun Bluebird Wagon
1975 Honda Civic
blueoval is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-11-2008, 12:01 PM   #7
RG
Back to Le Frenchy

Hmmmm intersting. I don't really care about pad life or rotor life, brake dust annoys me but I deal with it if the pads pull up well. My main concern is performance, I can live with having to get a little heat into the pads as long as they can live with having a lot of heat occasionally.
07 Renault Sport Megane F1 Team R26 #1397
RG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-11-2008, 12:07 PM   #8
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Well thought out and constructive posts.  A real credit to this forum. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell
Hmmmm intersting. I don't really care about pad life or rotor life, brake dust annoys me but I deal with it if the pads pull up well. My main concern is performance, I can live with having to get a little heat into the pads as long as they can live with having a lot of heat occasionally.
Im with ya there Russ. Although Brake dust is annoying, I tend to clean my car weekly so it makes no difference. Brake performance is key for me. Not worried about disc wear.

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1975 Honda Civic
Old 23-11-2008, 12:09 PM   #9
5.0 ED
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Well the problem then comes back to the harder pad will put more heat into the disc, bendix ultimates are definete disc warpers. same story really, soft pad more dust, more softer peddle feel, and not a long life. Hard pad less dust, puts more heat into disc, and a harder firmer peddle feel.
Old 23-11-2008, 12:09 PM   #10
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

As a great compromise pad, I prefer Bendix UPs. They stop great, have little brake dust, last ages, and aren't too hard on discs (one maching per year; and yes, slotteds can be machined, just most places hate doing it). I have the powermax on the rear of my NF, and they are OK - wouldn't use them on the front though; I just couldn't trust a $20 or $30 set of pads as the main braking for my car.
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

FPV 335 build stats: <click here>

Ford Performance Club ACT
JC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-11-2008, 12:20 PM   #11
5.0 ED
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Lol i have the reverse to you JC, powermax on the front and bendix on the rear. At the moment my car is actually breaking the best it has ever breaked.
Old 23-11-2008, 12:21 PM   #12
Peuty
Afterburner + skids =
Donating Member1

I have used QFM pads in the past, found them to work well when hot and not alot of dust.

Oo\===/oO
Peuty is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-11-2008, 12:32 PM   #13
blueoval
Critical Thinker

geez there are a lot of opinons on pads here. Where is the poll/thread on what brake pads you use?

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1975 Honda Civic
Old 23-11-2008, 12:38 PM   #14
Bushbasher
When in doubt, GAS IT!!

I can't comment on longevity or disc/pad wear but I just fitted new slotted rotors and Ferodo Excells to the front of the wagon and after initially having a soft pedal, which I recon was just the pads bedding in to match the discs, the padal has firmed up and the car is pulling up better than it was previously and it was quite ok before the change. I couldn't tell you what the old pads were as they were on there when we bought the wagon but it did have standard discs.

Bushbasher

HERS- BFIII Wagon Gold, alloys, dual fuel, bullbar, big tow pack, trans cooler, fully rebuilt HD suspension, Clarion, alarmed, full 2 1/2" sports system, mint body

MINE- AUII Forte
Meteorite, dual fuel but otherwise bog stock.

MINE- AUII Fairlane Sportsman Liquid Silver over meteorite,HIDs', Airhog, Eagle Leads, dual fuel, custom rear springs, BA slotted discs + a second one for spares

Bushbasher is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-11-2008, 02:11 PM   #15
broken_suave
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I've just changed from bendix ultimates on the front to bendix general CT's and I can tell you I'm so much happier with them.

Previously:
98 AU Futura 4.0 - Wildcat Extractors, 200cpsi Stainless Cat, Custom 2.5" Mandrel Bent Exhaust, Tickford Snorkel, Fram 'Airhog' Panel Filter - Daily

79 P6 LTD Silver Monarch - Project
broken_suave is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-11-2008, 02:51 PM   #16
MRJUCY
Fordless

I've got TRWs on my car at the moment they stop pretty well & have decent feel without either being outstanding, they do dust pretty bad but the thing that annoys me the most is they squeak & squeal a hell of a lot.
MRJUCY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-11-2008, 03:00 PM   #17
FTE217
T3/Sprint8
Donating Member2

The Powermax brand here in the green silver box was made by Bendix for a distributer called NationalParts who are no more, they ceased operations Jan this year.
Ferodos I tried their Performance product again got fed up of squeaks took them off.
I too do not care of rotor/pad life but I want good stopping but I do not want to put up with overdue dust granted though wanting stopping power this has to occur.
Hence I have found from my use the Bendix HD's is my happy compramise.
Old 23-11-2008, 03:02 PM   #18
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by broken_suave
I've just changed from bendix ultimates on the front to bendix general CT's and I can tell you I'm so much happier with them.
I have Bendix 4WD pads on the front of the explorer; I think they are the same as General CTs, and they are very very good (no dust, a bit of squeal, pull up hard)
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

FPV 335 build stats: <click here>

Ford Performance Club ACT
JC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-11-2008, 03:10 PM   #19
SirHenry
Falcon Unbelievable!

I only just replaced the pads on my S1 about 2 or 3 months ago damn rotors warped they weren't the best condition when the new pads in but should have got 1 more use out of them, but thats what you get for using crap rotors.

Anyone got any ideas on good combos to stop rotors warping, low brake dust and good stopping and no squeals? I was thinking DBA either standard slotted or 4000 slotted with maybe EBC pads any good? I do love the lucas pads but if there is a lower dust pad out there with the same quality stopping I am willing to give it a go.
Old 23-11-2008, 05:02 PM   #20
ronwest
All Bran = Regular Member

I've also got TRW's. They were recommended by the local brake guy so I was happy enough to run with them.
Next time round I'll be looking for a less dusty pad.
All my hard braking was done 30 years ago and these days I'm not too concerned whether I get to the local shops in 3mins or 3mins 20secs.

So yeah, for me just about anything would do (providing it's not too dusty).
ronwest is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-11-2008, 05:35 PM   #21
5.0 ED
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Bluedriver - that would explain why the local autopro has about 1000 boxes of em all line up on special, they must have done a special bulk buy, only of front. But as for the powerMAX brand name thats on the boxes, im a little confused cause its a federal mogul brand.

http://www.federalmogul.com/Federal-Mogul/Templates/BrandSelector.aspx?NRMODE=Published&NRNODEGUID={A1 817556-E04E-42A5-BC25-E9D119804EB2&NRORIGINALURL=%2fen%2fBrandSelector&N RCACHEHINT=Guest
Old 23-11-2008, 06:31 PM   #22
broken_suave
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Sir Henry, EBC make good pads, but the Green Stuff pads tear the carp out of the rotors. They pull up damn hard, but its not out of the ordinary to only get 2 uses out of a new rotor (2 sets of pads I mean). In some cases, people have changed rotors when changing pads. It depends on what you want out of your brakes, but the EBC green stuff pads are not designed for longevity.

Previously:
98 AU Futura 4.0 - Wildcat Extractors, 200cpsi Stainless Cat, Custom 2.5" Mandrel Bent Exhaust, Tickford Snorkel, Fram 'Airhog' Panel Filter - Daily

79 P6 LTD Silver Monarch - Project
broken_suave is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-11-2008, 06:35 PM   #23
b2tf
not here much anymore

Ive had those TRW ones on before, lasted about a month. Crap.
Old 23-11-2008, 07:57 PM   #24
SirHenry
Falcon Unbelievable!

Quote:
Originally Posted by broken_suave
Sir Henry, EBC make good pads, but the Green Stuff pads tear the carp out of the rotors. They pull up damn hard, but its not out of the ordinary to only get 2 uses out of a new rotor (2 sets of pads I mean). In some cases, people have changed rotors when changing pads. It depends on what you want out of your brakes, but the EBC green stuff pads are not designed for longevity.

Cool thanks suave
Old 24-11-2008, 05:23 PM   #25
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Just purchased some Bendix HD pads. Not cheap either. Paid $79 a pair. Hopefully they will be better than the RDA street pads I have.

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1975 Honda Civic
Old 24-11-2008, 05:33 PM   #26
FTE217
T3/Sprint8
Donating Member2

blueoval $79pr ? am I reading right that is per side ?
Pads come in a box with 4, 2 per side the last I knew.
By the way they will be heaps better than the RDA pads........
Old 24-11-2008, 05:36 PM   #27
blackers10
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

me and deb have the TRW pads on our lanes with slotted rotors (DBAs)
debs are squeeling but i think somthing may be in the pad causing it..have to have a look

i find mine only squeek a little when they are cold or under really light braking

they are dusty but not THAT dusty.. as i asked race brakes sydney what to get for a pad that is for the street.. with some spirited driving.. and lower dust... he reccomended them over bendix ultimates

and at $104 a set (all 4 corners) you cant complain
Old 24-11-2008, 05:54 PM   #28
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluedriver
blueoval $79pr ? am I reading right that is per side ?
Pads come in a box with 4, 2 per side the last I knew.
By the way they will be heaps better than the RDA pads........
I paid $79 for the front set of pads and $79 for the rear set of pads. So ALL 4 corners will be done. Sorry for the confusion.

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1975 Honda Civic
Old 24-11-2008, 05:55 PM   #29
FTE217
T3/Sprint8
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5.0whiteaughia
Ferodo's are made by federal mogul like many many other brands, Abex, AE, ANCO, Atlas, Beral, Carter, Champion, DURON, Fel-Pro, Ferodo, FP Diesel, Glyco, Goetze, Moog, National, Necto, Nüral, Payen, PowerMAX, Precision, Raimsa, Sealed Power, Speed-Pro, Wagner Brake Products, Wagner Lighting. To be exact.

What i am saying is that i believe the TRW pad could in fact be a federal mogul brand pad rebranded as TRW. But i could be completely wrong, yet you discription of them of high dust etc, does seem to match what the ferodo's are like.

The masterparts i listed above - should actually be PowerMax, my mistake, but to date they are my favourite pad i have had, and yet only $20 a pair.
Matey the Powermax you have paid $20 for is the product I'm talking about which is/was via Autopros and many other independants around the coutry.
For sure many would have stock, they were cheap to buy even before the company ceased trading.
TRW Automotive is stand alone not with Federal Mogul at all.
You have got confused with PowerMax, yes its a FM brand but a ignition lead.
Old 24-11-2008, 05:55 PM   #30
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackers10
me and deb have the TRW pads on our lanes with slotted rotors (DBAs)
debs are squeeling but i think somthing may be in the pad causing it..have to have a look

i find mine only squeek a little when they are cold or under really light braking

they are dusty but not THAT dusty.. as i asked race brakes sydney what to get for a pad that is for the street.. with some spirited driving.. and lower dust... he reccomended them over bendix ultimates

and at $104 a set (all 4 corners) you cant complain
OMG thats cheap. Hmm makes me think if I got ripped off with mine now.

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont