Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 18-08-2012, 03:07 PM   #1
Kayos
Lag = hang onto something

Default Highbeams saves $$

It seems that only some have held on the philosophy to high beam oncoming drivers & inform everyone of "brass" sitting in their highway patrol car on the beach stretch in the arvo, and I'd like to thank them and ask anyone on why this has stopped??

1 out of the 10 cars did it and may have saved me a couple of hundred.... he didn't look happy in his dark green ss... may have been the grin as I cruised past.

Are we saving lives from not high beaming or is it that we feel like informers??

Kayos is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-08-2012, 03:09 PM   #2
mcnews
Trev

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Trev has owned several boosted fords and has really contributed a lot of info on them. His posts in the bike section are also very helpful. I think he should be recognised as a technical contributor. 
Default Re: Highbeams saves $$

Because people have been lured into the speed kills philosophy crap and no longer see it as in the most part pure revenue raising.
Old 18-08-2012, 03:12 PM   #3
ado351c

I still do it as ive been saved many a time, but i do worry im gunna flash an undercover car and get booked for that.
Old 18-08-2012, 03:14 PM   #4
guidedog

i still do,but very rarely do i get flashed by some one .which s---- .you can get finned and loose points of licence if u get done by the police
guidedog is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-08-2012, 03:16 PM   #5
xisled
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

No one really cares unless it effects them self.
xisled is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-08-2012, 03:22 PM   #6
guidedog

Quote:
Originally Posted by xisled
No one really cares unless it effects them self.
thats true lol .have not got done for long time now due to driving like mrs daisy
Old 18-08-2012, 03:24 PM   #7
jaydee
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

If I see someone going Mach1 the other way I flash my lights just for fun, see the brake lights come on and they wave "Thanks mate" and drive slow for the next couple of kays looking for the cop car or radar that just isn't there, thats my contribution to road safety.
Old 18-08-2012, 03:24 PM   #8
J.Molloy
Territorial

Apparently If you just flick your lights on off instead of high beams you can't get done, that's wha I've heard anyway.
And I always flash the lights for oncoming traffic for speed cameras etc...
Old 18-08-2012, 03:42 PM   #9
Escaping
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ado351c
I still do it as ive been saved many a time, but i do worry im gunna flash an undercover car and get booked for that.
lol, I'm exactly the same. I do flash once in a while too, but its always on the back of my mind that I may get done for doing it. Its nothing but blatant revenue raising.

A few weeks ago, I was travelling on the M4 (Eastbound, on the weekend) and I noticed a grey or light brown (can't recall exact colour) Territory heading Westbound flashing his lights in the distance. He flashed quite a few times and sure enough, ~ 1km down the road was a cop car sitting and waiting (between the East and West bound roads), targeting East bound traffic. I wasn't speeding, but appreciated that Territory driver's warnings.
Escaping is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-08-2012, 03:55 PM   #10
guidedog

well there r some driver out there that r a risk (my apprentice ) that thinks its ok to double the speed limit in his xr 6 that he just bought .he may not finnish his apprentice course if he keeps that up .might have to go and pick out a grave stone for him
Old 18-08-2012, 03:55 PM   #11
Nic302ef
Cocoloko

i see the flashing of lights assisting the police and road safty by telling people to slow down in that spot.

As we are told the speed cameras are located stratigicaly in places where accidents are likely to occure, and in doining so save lives..... by making it hidden and finning you, but not preventing you from doin the speed. hmmm

2010 Territory: family bus.

79 P7 LTD 351.
Nic302ef is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-08-2012, 04:12 PM   #12
lockieoc
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I'll generally notify other cars if there is copper with a hair dryer.

But I 100% refuse to ever notify anyone of an RBT and it annoys me when I see people who do it! These are the idiots who kill people not someone doing 65 in a 60 zone!
lockieoc is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-08-2012, 04:19 PM   #13
guidedog

Quote:
Originally Posted by lockieoc
I'll generally notify other cars if there is copper with a hair dryer.

But I 100% refuse to ever notify anyone of an RBT and it annoys me when I see people who do it! These are the idiots who kill people not someone doing 65 in a 60 zone!
yes drink driving is dangerous to all road users ,just dont do it
Old 18-08-2012, 04:32 PM   #14
rst2000
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i am old school, so happy to warn on coming vehicles. But then again the grape vine works pretty well when a RBT is set up in our town.
rst2000 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-08-2012, 04:49 PM   #15
GhiaEB
2004 TX Territory

I once flashed my high beams to an unmarked cop car and he returned the favor by flashing his red and blues at me. I pulled over waiting for him to turn around, but he didn't just kept on going in the opposite direction.

Now a AWD TX Territory Daily
P6 Silver Monarch Weekender

And on 2 Wheels,
ZZR 250

Can do mixer shaft replacement on BA-BF Falcon and SX-SY, fix your heater Today. PM For more details

For sale: Heaps of Territory bits and bobs including front brembo doglegs, NOS I-design territory body kit painted offshore, also FPV 290 engine bits. FS thread here http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11397826 Pm for more details.
GhiaEB is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-08-2012, 04:52 PM   #16
guidedog

Quote:
Originally Posted by GhiaEB
I once flashed my high beams to an unmarked cop car and he returned the favor by flashing his red and blues at me. I pulled over waiting for him to turn around, but he didn't just kept on going in the opposite direction.
that was lucky
Old 18-08-2012, 05:09 PM   #17
Belial
Clevo Mafia Muscle Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.Molloy
Apparently If you just flick your lights on off instead of high beams you can't get done, that's wha I've heard anyway.
And I always flash the lights for oncoming traffic for speed cameras etc...
Having your high beams on whilst you have oncoming traffic is illegal, so flicking your head lights on is a safer option but your tail lights will come on also!

I've noticed a massive decline in the last few years about "warning" motorists of speed traps and just put it down to people getting increasingly lazy and self centered..

Daily
FPV GS Manual Sedan. (1 of 20)
now 360rwhp thanx to Blue Power Racing
"Global warming..." " I'm doing my part!"

Also a member of the Clevo Mafia.
You hit me, we hit you!
&
Metal Jacket Muscle Car Club
Belial is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-08-2012, 06:03 PM   #18
Dave3911

[CODE][/CODE]
Quote:
Originally Posted by rst2000
i am old school, so happy to warn on coming vehicles. But then again the grape vine works pretty well when a RBT is set up in our town.
How awesome of you... helping drink drivers avoid random breath testing, you are an absolute winner....

All for warning of cash cameras, but those behind the wheel under the influence need the full force of the law brought to them.
Dave3911 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-08-2012, 06:06 PM   #19
graham7773
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I might be missing them but most of the time the only cops I see on the side of the road are the RBT boys. As for the cameras, they have warning signs for hundreds of meters before you get to them. Anybody that needs warning about them is either blind or stupid. Drove down to Batemans Bay a week ago and the cops were like fleas on a dog but also stuck out like dogs b***s. Same deal. If you got done, you deserved it. As for warning with high beam, it is illegal, at least in NSW with a stiff fine if you get caught and they do look for you doing it.
graham7773 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-08-2012, 06:26 PM   #20
ED Classic
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaydee
If I see someone going Mach1 the other way I flash my lights just for fun, see the brake lights come on and they wave "Thanks mate" and drive slow for the next couple of kays looking for the cop car or radar that just isn't there, thats my contribution to road safety.

Yeah and then every couple of months you see someone on here with pics of their car vandalised and they say i really didnt do anything to anyone honest. Not condoning......just saying............
ED Classic is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-08-2012, 06:34 PM   #21
GhiaEB
2004 TX Territory

Quote:
Originally Posted by graham7773
I might be missing them but most of the time the only cops I see on the side of the road are the RBT boys. As for the cameras, they have warning signs for hundreds of meters before you get to them. Anybody that needs warning about them is either blind or stupid. Drove down to Batemans Bay a week ago and the cops were like fleas on a dog but also stuck out like dogs b***s. Same deal. If you got done, you deserved it. As for warning with high beam, it is illegal, at least in NSW with a stiff fine if you get caught and they do look for you doing it.
Not all states have signs, ask the Vic boys about signage.

So your driving along in a state/location you've never being in before, miss the speed drop from 110 to 100. There happens to be a mobile speed cam there with no signage. Are you saying you wouldn't appreciate someone letting you know there was a camera there?

Now a AWD TX Territory Daily
P6 Silver Monarch Weekender

And on 2 Wheels,
ZZR 250

Can do mixer shaft replacement on BA-BF Falcon and SX-SY, fix your heater Today. PM For more details

For sale: Heaps of Territory bits and bobs including front brembo doglegs, NOS I-design territory body kit painted offshore, also FPV 290 engine bits. FS thread here http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11397826 Pm for more details.
GhiaEB is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-08-2012, 06:57 PM   #22
graham7773
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

GhiaEB I get your point about somebody missing a speed sign indicating a speed limit reduction but I am talking about the people who deliberately and consistantly travel at 10-20 and more over the speed limit. Mainly in NSW where there are speed camera warning signs. I recently got overtaken while coming up to a speed camera, I was at the speed limit and the person overtaking was 30kph+++ over. Had it been a mobile camera, he would have been stopped, lost licence and the fine would have been somewhere in the vicinity of a grand. Too much money and not enough sense or just money to burn. As for not apreciating people warning, I try to consistently stay at the speed limit so their warnings do not mean much to me. I regularly set my cruise control to 2kph over the local speed limit (allowing for speedo error) when I can. I have not been booked for speed in over 20 years and that was a revenue trap at a spot on the north coast of NSW at
2:oo am.
graham7773 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-08-2012, 06:59 PM   #23
Ford_The_Win
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I never flash people, anyone who drinks and then gets behind the wheel deserves everything that's coming to them, and anyone stupid enough to speed on metropolitan freeways in this day and age probably shouldn't be on the road.
Old 18-08-2012, 07:31 PM   #24
brydie76
Moff-fan

Haven't flashed anybody before, as others have said only ones I see that would be the ones you could flash for (i.e. not hiding on a divided road so drivers on other side wouldn't see you anyway) are RBTs- not helping anybody flee those. Have been flashed a few times, although I haven't needed to be. Appreciated the gesture though.

Do think the next wave of people flashing will be for the mobile speed cams though. The signs for those things in NSW are ridiculous, both times I've seen the cars they were parked so the signs were hidden by high grass/scrub. They should be fined themselves for that crap.

Now rocking a 2012 Suzuki Swift Sport!
brydie76 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-08-2012, 07:45 PM   #25
medz84
Starter Motor

i normally just flash if theres an accident or banked up traffic, picton rd is known for this on a blind corner always good to give the truckies a heads up!!
medz84 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-08-2012, 08:28 PM   #26
2011G6E
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

One christmas here in Queensland the police actually told drivers to flash oncoming cars if they saw someone driving like an idiot, because they know it will slow them down.
They went back to fining people for it after the holidays though...

All this at a time when the road toll in Australia is the lowest in nearly fifty fricking years...
2011G6E is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-08-2012, 10:00 PM   #27
Fiesta_Man69
Banned

It's un Australian not to flash your beams...
Fiesta_Man69 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-08-2012, 10:16 PM   #28
blackf6
R51 Pathy, 91 Jayco Swan

I once did it to warn of a ' flash for cash', and the police man coming towards me gave me a very un amused stare and pointed his naughty finger at me.
blackf6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-08-2012, 10:26 PM   #29
fatbats
Starter Motor

I don't flash my beams because people should't be speeding. If they get booked it's their own fault.

I don't speed and my car is roadworthy so I have nothing to worry about.
fatbats is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-08-2012, 10:53 PM   #30
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

They put them out on the main highway here where I live in country Victoria.

But its always a new car, and its always in one of four places along a 30km stretch.

Its a dead give away, you don't really need signs. One time they had 4 or 5 of them in a row with a sign out "speed camera training", and further back had another out on his own not part of the "training" haha.
Franco Cozzo is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post