The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-01-2024, 09:28 PM   #1
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Default Victorian Road Toll - 2023 Worst year for road deaths since 2008

Quote:
Worst year for road deaths since 2008 as COVID habits wreak havoc

Fitzharris said Victoria needed highly visible police enforcement to correct dangerous behaviour in the short term, and bipartisan political support to lower speed limits on dangerous country roads from 100km/h to 80km/h, to give motorists a chance to survive head-on collisions.

“If you don’t have physical separation between oncoming traffic, and trees, the road should not be 100km/h – it’s as simple as that,” he said.

“The government has a strong commitment to rolling out barriers and improving infrastructure. But in the absence of being able to spend a massive, impossible amount of money, it’s more cost-effective for us to match the speed limit to the environment.”
https://www.theage.com.au/national/v...29-p5eu88.html

Post COVID it seems everyone is hyper aggro on the roads and super aggressive.

More speed limit reductions about to happen, I had a right laugh at the new Sunbury Road duplication.

Used to be a single lane country highway goat track with no lighting, with a 100km/h speed limit

Now its dual lane, divided, with emergency lanes and safety barriers, with lighting, and now the speed limit is 60km/h and may go up to 80km/h.

I think they still don't understand the issues, they keep blaming speed but most people can't drive for **** and no one cares because they don't enforce any standards other than camera fines for speeding.

Have just come back from spending a few days on the road in Sydney, they had a lot bigger visible presence of police, although a huge fetish for cameras in the outer Western suburbs, more-so than Melbourne.

The biggest issue on the Hume Freeway was other Victorians driving like retards doing rolling road blocks and ACT plated cars punch above their weight for **** driving per capita I reckon - they have to be the worst drivers in the country.

I had cruise control set on 113-117 by GPS and was constantly held up by Victorians or ACT drivers in the right lane. The best one was in Kilmore someone doing 25 in the 40 zone through town,

Standard of driving in Sydney is certainly much better than Melbourne, people move off from lights quicker and are generally much quicker on the roads, I enjoyed my time driving around their suburbia and into the city.

Last edited by Franco Cozzo; 02-01-2024 at 09:37 PM.
Franco Cozzo is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
8 users like this post: