Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 16-01-2014, 07:26 PM   #1
MercuryT
Banned

Default Territory Turbo or VE SS Sportswagon?

Would be interested opinions on this and which you would buy between the two.

Had my BA Turbo for six years, but sadly it will have to go as kids and dogs won't all fit going forward. Would really like to know which wagon others would buy (ignoring Ford bias)?

I've driven both and each have their plusses and negatives - I have no intention of going off-road. Will be second hand, and $25,000 max (to be honest its disappointing Ford didn't make a fast Falcon wagon option )

Anyway, I still want something that is (relatively) fast, fun to drive, not too old or some underpowered 'prestige' Euro thing that will most likely cost a fortune to run as it gets older.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated on which wagon you would buy and why! Whether based on personal experience or otherwise. I'm leaning to VE SS, but happy to hear if that is a poor decision.

MercuryT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-01-2014, 07:34 PM   #2
MAGPIE
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Territory Turbo or VE SS Sportswagon?

Do you want a proper boot or not ?
MAGPIE is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 16-01-2014, 07:37 PM   #3
deadfish2
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

depends on things you want.... is extra height important? do you want a manual? what insurance worth between the 2? etc etc etc
deadfish2 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-01-2014, 07:38 PM   #4
fordomatic
Donating Member
Donating Member1

VE SS wagon for sure if you want the performance feel of a sedan. Best advice is to go and drive both and decide for yourself.
fordomatic is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 16-01-2014, 07:49 PM   #5
Chopped
as in chopped

SS Wagons look great IMO. That's what I would be getting out of the two.
Old 16-01-2014, 07:55 PM   #6
MercuryT
Banned

Thanks for quick replies guys, much appreciated.

Magpie - the boot in VE will be big enough I reckon - plus the territory is not huge either (compared to older Commos and Falcons I mean - or maybe it just seemed smaller?)

Deadfish2- extra height not an issue. Insurance neither as i'm rating 1 and they are pretty close. I am however keen to move back to manual after having the old 4 speeder....

Fordomatic - yeah, that is no doubt why I am thinking VE SS. But I honestly think the Ford Turbo is still better than any Holden 8, despite it being cumbersome in SUV form. I've driven both, but guess just wanted to hear other opinions which might help me as I may not have thought of everything!!
Old 16-01-2014, 07:56 PM   #7
MercuryT
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chopped View Post
SS Wagons look great IMO. That's what I would be getting out of the two.
Yep, even if I didn't need a wagon reckon if I was to buy a SS I might go wagon anyway as they look better than sedan (IMO)
Old 16-01-2014, 08:30 PM   #8
bangm001
Mopar! But Own F6's..

My old man has a 06 terri turbo ghia in EGO colour. Awsome car, we have two labs and the dogs love it in the back! 7 seater has come in handy a few times (especially when my old man picks up me and the wife to go to a function/party). Not to mention the bunnings runs being able to store just about anything in the thing! We also have a holiday house and have to tow a boat to a "boat ramp" which is pretty much just like rocks and sand and its perfect. Also goes like the clappers! We have taken out the bung in the exhaust and it has a k&n. Only really big downfall is the fuel consumtion, but at 2100kg, and being able to do a mid 6 sec 0-100, cant complain really. Cant comment on the SS other that iv had the VS/VT/VY SS's and once i drove a BA/FG turbos havnt looked back.

3 users like this post:
Old 16-01-2014, 08:36 PM   #9
sbutler
335 kw of goodness

My daughter has a SSZ wagon, i think its 09 six speed manual 6ltr model. Ive driven it quite a few times & I like it. Its let down by a few things,[mainly quality stuff] Battery in the boot for one, very confusing command centre. But most cars are no car is perfect.
Before she had the SS, she had a Terry, "non turbo" & loved it. She wants another Territory.
If it were me I'd look for a FPV F6X Territory, that would be the ducks, nuts IMO

http://www.carpoint.com.au/all-cars/...D-2244492&Cr=0

2012 GTP 213 black what was I thinking? NOW FOR SALE>>
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11439680
sbutler is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-01-2014, 09:25 PM   #10
bangm001
Mopar! But Own F6's..

Sorry to cut back in, we also looked at the F6X at the time when my old man got the TT ghia, it was a winter white 7 seater (with black stripes). The dealer wanted quite a bit for it back then (we just sold the FG F6 to clear some funds and the f6x would have taken all of it again!). But, that thing was an absolute rocket, they go quite a bit harder than the normal TT probably as they have alot more torque like the fpv sedans. We decided on the TT ghia as it did everything he needed at that time (and for around 12K less as a used car). But old man still talks of selling a fpv for a non fpv and that is he could have he would have gone the f6x.
Old 16-01-2014, 10:15 PM   #11
MAFIA
Grange killer!!!!

Say no more!!!! This territory was beating every commowhore that weekend!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zvrqRNeNWyw

INSURED BY MAFIA. YOU HIT US, WE KILL YOU!

FORD FTE AU T-SERIES CLUB OF AUSTRALIA
www.tseriesclub.org
MAFIA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-01-2014, 10:19 PM   #12
sneaky
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

what is the age difference between the 2 cars at your price point? ie are you looking at 3 year old SS vs 7 year old Terri?

don't know if fuel use is an issue or not, i had a 07 SSV sedan with manual gears. it would return about 13L per 100ks around town, and got down to low 9s driving on highway/freeway with cruise on.
Old 16-01-2014, 10:31 PM   #13
xxx000
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

SS Wagon, less problems and very popular
xxx000 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-01-2014, 10:46 PM   #14
BIONIC MAN
Two turning.. two burning

I may be a little biased, but just the decent sized cabin in the terror, particularly the extra height makes it so easy to carry stuff or put the kids in without crawling in the back seat of some wagon or sedan, makes it a great choice. (being 6ft 5 makes most cars seem cramped)

yes its a bit thirsty, and has more complex driveline and perhaps requires more maintenance than a RWD car, but there is not another car I would swap the wifes TTG for that I can think of... maybe a brand new territory, but I would miss the power of the turbo, it makes it seem a much smaller lighter car than it really is.
make sure the territory your considering is a ghia, has much nicer standard equipment.

BLOWN, 2013 FPV GS UTE
TURBO TERRITORY GHIA
545ci XB GS UTE
Daily, 2006 F250 crew cab
BA2 Fairmont Ghia
BIONIC MAN is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-01-2014, 10:49 PM   #15
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

I want to say the Tez but ball joints, "rust" issues and the poxy diff bushes really make it hard to recommend.

If your ok to suck up the diff bush thing then go the Tez, its more practical by a mile. But on average you would probably be better off with the SS.
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Polyal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 16-01-2014, 11:01 PM   #16
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by MercuryT View Post
Magpie - the boot in VE will be big enough I reckon - plus the territory is not huge either (compared to older Commos and Falcons I mean - or maybe it just seemed smaller?)
The load space in the Terri is shallower than a traditional Falcon wagon, but not by a lot. Terri load space is wider and taller. But it still hammers the Commodore hatch for space.

1970 XW Falcon GT replica | 1970 XW Falcon | 1971 XY Fairmont | 1973 ZG Fairlane | 1986 XF Falcon panel van | 1987 XFII Falcon S-Pack | 1988 XF Falcon GLS ute | 1993 EBII Fairmont V8 | 1996 XG Falcon ute | 2000 AU Falcon wagon | 2004 BA Falcon XT | 2012 SZ Territory Titanium AWD

Proud to buy Australian and support Ford Australia through thick and thin
Road_Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-01-2014, 11:17 PM   #17
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Oh and regarding fuel consumption, you may aswell have a V8 note.
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Polyal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 16-01-2014, 11:50 PM   #18
AndyXR6T
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The only reason I would choose territory is for 7 seat option. Otherwise the SS would win in any other department.
I couldn't 'upgrade' car to something that has pretty much identical interior too. Going from the BA to territory has only minor differences in interior
AndyXR6T is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-01-2014, 12:33 AM   #19
bigsta
Making superman jealous

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Dont get me wrong I love the SS i use to have one (a vy) and i think the sportswagon is a great car and concept but i would buy the AWD terry turbo ghia every day of the week over the commy.

Its a unique car the TT and there will not be another like it for a long time so grab one while they are still newish.

End of the day though each to their own the commy is more refined and interior is nicer and body prob looks nicer but i love the grip and the handling of the terry way more.

Drive them both (hard if you can) before deciding mate and good luck.

2006 SY Territory Ghia AWD in ego with roof mount DVD, tints, 7 seats, iPod input

2005 Crewman Cross 8 with 350 cubic inches, AWD, black on black rims on black leather, tints and polished racks
NEW TOY Bayliner 185, inboard 3L 4 cylinder pushing us along at 50MPH whenever i get a chance

I love Aussie cars and are gonna really miss them soon.......
bigsta is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-01-2014, 09:24 AM   #20
GK
Walking with God

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

If I had the cash to get either and fuel them etc, I believe I'd go the Territory. They are a unique part of our Ford history.

They're got 7 seats, more cargo space than a sports wagon.

If the commodore had a decent luggage space, I'd go the other way.

One thing though, be mindful of the diff bush issues on AWD Territories. I reckon a turbo would be much harder on them too.

Check with those who are better placed to know, but apart from the that, I'd give the win to the Terry.

GK

2015 Kia Sorento Platinum - Snow White Pearl

2001 Ducati Monster 900Sie - Red

Now gone!
1999 AU1 Futura Wagon - Sparkling Burgundy
On LPG

Want a Full Life? John 10:10
GK is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-01-2014, 09:56 AM   #21
Rodge
Banned

I'd go the Terry Turbo...the only Tezza with proper performance, sorry but it is, NA inline 6 and diesel ones are sluggish in my opinion.
I've never liked station wagon's so that would count out the so called sport wagon Holden, get a vehicle with proper versatility if you're into that sort of thing i.e. SUV. My 2 cents.
Rodge is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 17-01-2014, 10:10 AM   #22
SSVPom
Formally FairmontPom

I've owned an SSV Sportwagon and now a Territory Diesel. The Terry wins in cabin ambience, cabin space and the 7 seats but the Sportwagon won on the V8 engine's noise and power !

Both cars are enjoyable to drive, handle great but are polar opposites in character. Two different approaches to the family car solution.. If you have dogs and kids stuff, go the Terry. If load lugging is less important go the V8.
Old 17-01-2014, 10:25 AM   #23
max_torq
From the Futura

Have a look at Chrysler 300c touring , or BMW series 5 e61 touring. They look like decent wagons.
Old 17-01-2014, 10:45 AM   #24
Agile

I'll chuck my 2 cents worth in. Mates commy sports wagon is much smaller than the terry. Four adults and golf bags and buggies can fit into my territory and no way in a sports wagon. Terry electric pedals to the floor, steering wheel all the way in and drivers seat comfy for me at six foot gives much more rear legroom. Sliding rear seat gives even bigger rear storage area.
Normal I6 with Flash Tune, under-drive pully, extractors with debung and 2.5in exhaust, K&N cold air intake goes along quite nicely without the insurance impost although I must admitt I would love the Ghia Turbo. Size wise there is no comparison and looks are a personal thing so good luck with your choice.
Agile is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 17-01-2014, 10:52 AM   #25
MercuryT
Banned

Thanks for all the replies guys, much appreciated!

The differences in opinion and the reaons why is what led me to start this thread, as I guess neither is a bad choice and really comes down to personal preference as to which is more suitable. Whilst different style cars, they are the only local options that do the fast and practical thing.

My dogs are both over 70cm at shoulder and weight 40kgs, so with child gear also then maybe the VE Wagon is too small - I probably should sneak them in to test, I just assumed it was big enough as the old Commo wagon space was huge!!

The issues people mention regarding Territory surprise me a bit, maybe just some affected cars not all? I am sure the Holden has certain issues too I guess.

I think I will drive them both again and make a decision (will come over to Mainland to buy one as not much choice here in Tassie) - the idea of getting something different with V8 note leans to be the Holden, but then i've loved my Ford turbo which makes me think I should stick with another one, albeit more practical!

Thanks guys for all input...
Old 17-01-2014, 10:54 AM   #26
MercuryT
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by max_torq View Post
Have a look at Chrysler 300c touring , or BMW series 5 e61 touring. They look like decent wagons.
Thanks for giving options, but not keen to run an aging Euro car (know of a few people had massive bills when things go wrong, after thinking they got a bargain compared to "new" price) and the Chrysler, well, I just don't like the look of it at all!!

Both are probably good cars though if could find a good one.
Old 17-01-2014, 12:21 PM   #27
Alan D Segal
Call me 'Al'

Location: On a flattened-out cardboard box out the back behind the wheelie bins.
Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Good contributor. 

I vote for the SS wagon.
Alan D Segal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-01-2014, 12:32 PM   #28
MercurySilver
Isn't it obvious?
Donating Member1

go the terra
although the ss wagons look damn sexy in shape i reckon (actually test drove the sv6 model before we bought the g6et)
MercurySilver is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-01-2014, 12:32 PM   #29
simon varley
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Bringing sanity to the Everest threads. 

I just bought an 09 VE SS wagon. I feel bad deserting Ford, but they don't offer me a manual wagon. Love it. The only disappointing thing is the audio - no USB in and few upgrade options.
simon varley is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-01-2014, 01:55 PM   #30
Alan D Segal
Call me 'Al'

Location: On a flattened-out cardboard box out the back behind the wheelie bins.
Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Good contributor. 

Is there an SSV wagon? The SSV sedans had upgraded audio etc (including AUX in) over the SS. That would've addressed that concern for not much extra $$.
Alan D Segal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post