Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Focus

Old 06-03-2012, 03:45 PM   #1
mcouldrey

Default recycle air turning off automaticaly

hi guys, this may be a stupid question which perhaps my manual will answer but...

Is it normal for the recycle air to turn itself off after a short time? I pressed the button to recycle the air, 10 mins later its off and blowing outside air in.. Whether the air con/fan is off or on, its turning the recycle off..

Hmmm..

mcouldrey is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-03-2012, 04:08 PM   #2
wombat66

Default Re: recycle air turning off automaticaly

We had a conversation about this on another thread. Most people said it happened to them although the time it took to happen seemed to differ. It's probably so you don't get sleepy in a stuffy car. I would prefer it to be about 30 minutes but it's no big drama just pushing the button again.
Old 06-03-2012, 04:18 PM   #3
mcouldrey

Well, the way i see it, is i spent over $20k on this car meaning, i own the car, i tell the car what to do, not have a car tell me what to do. If i want it off, i want it off!

Stupid thing! Lol
mcouldrey is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-03-2012, 05:19 PM   #4
josem

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcouldrey
i own the car, i tell the car what to do, not have a car tell me what to do. If i want it off, i want it off!
Bring back the manual air recirculation lever !!!! At least with the lever, you can adjust the amount of fresh air percentage. With the button, it is either open or shut !!!
josem is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-03-2012, 06:44 PM   #5
rand0mn00b

it is normal
it is annoying

as wombat66 said, the intervals seem to vary

that doesn't seem normal
but it is certainly annoying
rand0mn00b is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-03-2012, 06:47 PM   #6
blatchie

Its there for your safety. There has been studies done that show when the car is on re-circ the carbon dioxide levels increase to dangerous levels. How much effort does it take to push the button again.
Old 06-03-2012, 06:57 PM   #7
josem

I cannot figure out when it opens. It is definitely variable based probably on the temperature and other settings. I cannot imagine that there is an oxygen or carbon dioxide sensor inside the car because these are expensive.
Old 06-03-2012, 06:58 PM   #8
poppa smurf
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

^^^ yep! all part of the climate control......what if you slow the fan speed down thus throwing the system into partial auto climate control does it still do it then?

G'day....I'm Dave, ...everyone calls me Poppa,..05.. B.A. Fairmont mark II...

may your day's be filled with smiles, your life be filled with love, may your children know nothing but happiness and joy, cherish the memory of those who strove before us for they cleared the way, spare a thought for those who serve we owe so much to so many, life and the freedom to enjoy it is a special gift that can be taken away far too soon!
poppa smurf is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-03-2012, 06:59 PM   #9
josem

On my normal 30 minute drive to work, sometimes it opens once sometimes it opens 3 times. I like keeping it shut because I have sensitivity to pollens and it greatly helps if the air recirc is shut closed.
Old 06-03-2012, 07:27 PM   #10
marg99
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I thought the focus had pollen filters these days on the air intake. Is this only on some models?
marg99 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-03-2012, 01:54 PM   #11
pera
Starter Motor

I started the previous thread about this.

As most of you indicated, the time varies. Sometimes I have long runs and most of the time it's just 5 minutes. Haven't a clue as to why it does that but sure is annoying.

I don't want to be breathing carbon polluted air from the vehicle in front of me if I'm stuck in a traffic jam. Luckily we live in country and that doesn't happen often.

May be we should request a software update?
pera is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-03-2012, 05:40 PM   #12
josem

Quote:
Originally Posted by marg99
I thought the focus had pollen filters these days on the air intake. Is this only on some models?
It does. Even the 1.6 Ambiente has one. I asked the service guy to show it to me. It is at the back of the centre console down near the floor. Access is via the left passenger side.
Old 08-03-2012, 05:43 PM   #13
josem

Quote:
Originally Posted by pera
I don't want to be breathing carbon polluted air from the vehicle in front of me if I'm stuck in a traffic jam.
I agree. The cabin filter cannot help with a smoke belching vehicle in front of you. Usually following a ute or a courier van will have some smoke.

More importantly, It also disturbs your driving concentration when you have to glance down to check the light is still on (vent closed) once in a while.
Old 14-03-2012, 10:52 PM   #14
topdec
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by pera
I started the previous thread about this.

As most of you indicated, the time varies. Sometimes I have long runs and most of the time it's just 5 minutes. Haven't a clue as to why it does that but sure is annoying.

I don't want to be breathing carbon polluted air from the vehicle in front of me if I'm stuck in a traffic jam. Luckily we live in country and that doesn't happen often.

May be we should request a software update?

According to the car manual the only time the switch turns on and off is when/if you have climate control fitted. On the manual version A/C the car manual states that you can toggle/switch between recycled air. It does not say anything about switching itself off at any length of time.
I feel it stupid that it keeps switching off every 5 mins. or so. I have just bought a new Focus Trend and have asked the dealer for some explanation. All Ford has said that this is natural and there is nothing wrong with the switch.(no why's or therefore's)
Lets get practical if there is warm air coming into the car the A/C has to work that much harder so you do not get the full benefit of the A/C and the bottom line is more fuel consumption.
Ford will have to come up with a better explanation other than the ones I have read here in this forum.
topdec is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post