Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 02-11-2005, 10:45 AM   #1
Sagerian
Custom User Title:

Default Does anyone here host their own website?

Just wondering what's the best place to get webspace and a domain name? I'm a little embarrased considering I work in I.T. but I am daunted by all the places offering webspace and domain registration at different prices.

Any help?

Thank you.

Just sometimes, in between the first cigarette with coffee in the morning to that four hundredth glass of cornershop p**s at 3am, you do sometimes look at yourself and think... this is fantastic. I'm in heaven.
Sagerian is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-11-2005, 11:09 AM   #2
RED_EL_XR8
Banned

Shame on you! Go stand in the IT dunce corner!

Send a PM outlining what you want to do and I may be able to show some cheap otions!
RED_EL_XR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-11-2005, 11:12 AM   #3
Sagerian
Custom User Title:

Yes yes I know. My defense is I'm old school hehe.

Thanks for that mate.
Just sometimes, in between the first cigarette with coffee in the morning to that four hundredth glass of cornershop p**s at 3am, you do sometimes look at yourself and think... this is fantastic. I'm in heaven.
Old 02-11-2005, 11:15 AM   #4
BlackLS

Basically there is like a "registration" for a domain name, and with that registered domain name, you use to "point" to an IP address. This ip address could be a company you want to host your site, easiest option imo, or could be your own server at home/work. With this tho you need a static ip address or dyndns service going.

Thats my understanding of it.

If you just want something small and non-professional, ie for your mates to download crap, perhaps look at registering a dyndns service (free) and that can then download from a designated folder from your computer.
  Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-11-2005, 11:20 AM   #5
xr8ute
Back on the road

I like AVS Networks, http://avs.net.au/.

Pretty good info on their webpage to step you through domain hosting, and so on.

AU XR8 Ute 13.90 @ 100mph - http://www.aufalcon.com/xr8ute
5L Windsor, GT40X heads, Crane 2030, Pacey 4-1s, Lukey 3", 3.91:1, auto. Tuned by me w/Quarterhorse and BinaryEditor.

Coming Soon: Ported lower intake, Tickford "Premium" Brakes, and a good wash.
xr8ute is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-11-2005, 11:24 AM   #6
Sagerian
Custom User Title:

Cheers for that Argon.

I'll want it to look professional, also I can give myself a static IP and host it at work but it'll be found out pretty quickly here.

I don't mind spending some money to get the domain (I'll want to own the domain myself so I'm guessing I'll have to go to MelbourneIT for that) and webspace, but there's way too many to choose from all with different prices for basically the same thing.
Old 02-11-2005, 01:55 PM   #7
2IC
Starter Motor

i have used both www.netregistry.com and www.bottledomains.com and have found both to be very good.
2IC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-11-2005, 01:56 PM   #8
MYVYSS
Back where I belong

www.godaddy.com isnt too bad

Craig
MYVYSS is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-11-2005, 02:31 PM   #9
sickxr
Ford POWER!

Yeah netregistry has the cheapest .com.au's ive seen around!
sickxr is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-11-2005, 03:31 PM   #10
CarBroker
Banned

Our sites are hosted at ev1servers.net. We have a couple of servers there (one for backup). Pretty good value at USD$100 per month (per server). They also have virtual hosting. Note that the servers are *unmanaged* so you need to know how to do that (or use http://www.fastservermanagement.com/).

Netregistry seems cheap. We use domainscout for Oz domains and namecheap for .com domains.
CarBroker is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-11-2005, 03:49 PM   #11
Tote
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I've got a fixed Ip on my ADSL and my router directing port 80 to an old dell desktop. $10.00 extra on your ADSL bill from Tel$tra. I just trolled around google until I found a cheap registry. Dot com domains are easire to get than .com.au as you dont need an ABN to justify your choice of domain name.
My site speed is pretty woeful but I don't care as I don't get much traffic anyway, its more just to show people the house.
www.rathluba.com by the way,
Regards,
Tote
Old 02-11-2005, 04:03 PM   #12
max^power
Formerly au^ute

This depends on the situation. If the site is yours, you want great support, value and nice control panel. Aussie Hosts (http://www.aussiehosts.com/).

I use Aussie Hosts for the web sites i design, and i think they're great. The service is the best i've ever seen, they reply straight away to any request. They are on australian servers so your australian customers are well looked after as far as speed is concerned, something to watch if you use a US based server.

Plesk is a great control panel, much better than cpanel in my opinion.

I would suggest http://www.webhostingdirectory.com.au/

Another area for info is http://www.webhostingtalk.com.au/ which is great for knowledge about hosting.

It's worth taking the time to look into the company you choose, regardless of who it ends up being. Dont take their word for it that their 100mb backbone connection is all theirs, alot of the US servers share that 100mb!
max^power is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-11-2005, 04:35 PM   #13
big_pete
Sublime

i just got my own site. i only need the basics so i went through a US based site/company. cause it was cheap (and im broke)

www.serverseed.com

ive had no problems so far..........
Old 02-11-2005, 04:57 PM   #14
Sagerian
Custom User Title:

Thanks for that guys.

aussiehosts.com seems pretty good in terms of price Vs space/link and it appears I can get my domain name elsewhere and route it there if I want.
Old 02-11-2005, 09:30 PM   #15
mick.wheelz

Dreamhost is the best i have seen
www.dreamhost.com

I use them for my site.

Last edited by mick.wheelz; 02-11-2005 at 09:37 PM.
mick.wheelz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-11-2005, 09:44 PM   #16
Craig
RIP Craig - 13/11/08
Donating Member1

I use "click n go".
Craig is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-11-2005, 10:25 PM   #17
RED_EL_XR8
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sagerian
Thanks for that guys.

aussiehosts.com seems pretty good in terms of price Vs space/link and it appears I can get my domain name elsewhere and route it there if I want.
You Can/Should !
Old 03-11-2005, 02:01 AM   #18
Drive XR7
American Muscle

Quote:
Originally Posted by MYVYSS
www.godaddy.com isnt too bad
Got my dot com from godaddy for $7USD a year! Can't beat that! I also host the website elsewhere, and my .com redirects.
Drive XR7 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-11-2005, 03:56 AM   #19
paul7v7
bring it on

some interesting suggestions.
i went the
Gentoo
Apache
PHP
MySql
DynDNS

Combined with some creative UNIX scripting and DDClient.
Old 03-11-2005, 09:25 AM   #20
Ride
Stay Classy ™

Netregistry for domains, and a small company called Infront Hosting, nice cheap and fast servers in AU http://infronthosting.com.au. Support is excellent, currently on the Bronze reseller plan.
Ride is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-11-2005, 09:28 AM   #21
Sagerian
Custom User Title:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RED_EL_XR8
You Can/Should !
I Will/Do!
Old 03-11-2005, 09:34 AM   #22
rodderz

And once a website is designed (using whatever program, self-done), what process does one use to get the website design to the web using one of the above servers?
rodderz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-11-2005, 09:36 AM   #23
RED_EL_XR8
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodderz
And once a website is designed (using whatever program, self-done), what process does one use to get the website design to the web using one of the above servers?

FTP as a rule!
Old 03-11-2005, 10:00 AM   #24
rodderz

One more question- programs to design websites? (the word and publisher templates are pretty basic)

And once the site is created, the whole lot is saved and published via FTP to the designated host and can be updated whenever? It also looks as though you can get some sort of editing program with the host so website stats, edits etc can be done (ie C Panel)
rodderz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-11-2005, 10:04 AM   #25
RED_EL_XR8
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodderz
One more question- programs to design websites? (the word and publisher templates are pretty basic)

And once the site is created, the whole lot is saved and published via FTP to the designated host and can be updated whenever? It also looks as though you can get some sort of editing program with the host so website stats, edits etc can be done (ie C Panel)
The level of stats is entirely dependant on the web host and something worth checking on before signing on the bottom line.

When self hosting there are a variety of excellent free packages for NIX servers.

One further note! avoid frontpage like the plague it produces buggy bloated code, and is a security nightmare. Many Host will not under any circumstances offer frontpage extensions.

Last edited by RED_EL_XR8; 03-11-2005 at 10:12 AM.
Old 03-11-2005, 10:08 AM   #26
BlackLS

Dreamweaver/Fireworks is the industry standard.

Lets you do so much stuff. Favorite one is when someone gives me a page to upload, but in word htm format, it has the capability to import and clean up all the Office related tags.

Another one is that if you update a webpage, it automatically fixes all the links for you.

Lastly, it has an inbuilt FTP service which allows you to build your site, save it to your local machine, then when its all finished, syncronises it with the server. It also automatically updates all the links to content so it doesn't point to your local root.

Dreamweaver/Firworks is one of them programs which you actually think about aquiring legally. Id also recommend doing a Dreamweaver course.

Download the trial and see for yourself.

A lot of website hosting packages have a administrator logon, which allows you to see the stats, install php scripts, manage mailboxes etc etc.

Remember when building your webpage, use the style sheets and use templates for the header and footer.
  Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-11-2005, 10:20 AM   #27
big_pete
Sublime

i use dreamweaver. easily the best program IMO.

its best to use a template if you can and to style your sites with CSS (cascading Style sheets) but that may be a bit much for a beginner.
Old 28-11-2005, 12:52 AM   #28
Doogstar
B-Series Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by RED_EL_XR8
One further note! avoid frontpage like the plague it produces buggy bloated code, and is a security nightmare. Many Host will not under any circumstances offer frontpage extensions.
Well IMHO I think Frontpage is much quicker and easier to use than the "Industry Standard". It may be a while since you looked at FP. it doesn't produce buggy code and if set up correctly and you use an external CSS file, the code is not bloated at all.

I can get something done in FP before DW has even loaded up. It has a great split view that lets you see what you are designing as you code it. It will also adjust links to the entire site if you make a change.

I don't use the frontpage extensions, so no security risk. I prefer to FTP. If there are any other security risks, please enlighten me.

You can import MSWord text directly into FP and strip the extra code. You can even strip all white space altogether. I normally use Frontpage in the design and look of the site, then hand code the rest.

If we all believed in "Industry Standards" we would be all driving Holdens. At the end of the day it is what works for you.
Doogstar is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-11-2005, 07:10 AM   #29
Ride
Stay Classy ™

I don't think it's because of the buggy code, but rather the way its code is designed to be used in IE, it doesn't meet W3C standards, which most web browsers follow. That's why people like to use other web browsers apart from IE, there is no compliance. Dreamweaver is W3C compliant and produces the proper code.
Ride is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-11-2005, 05:49 PM   #30
Doogstar
B-Series Moderator

True, but seeing the vast majority of users use EI6. I would code for IE6 first and adjust for Firefox which is the only other browser which is in popular use.
Doogstar is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post