Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 04-04-2008, 10:57 AM   #1
DJR David
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Life on Mars over- what now???

Wow what a great ending last night to the awesome show ' Life on Mars'

Anyone know when the followup show ' Ashes to ashes' will be shown in oz

Bye Sam Tyler, well miss ya!!

David
\
as Gene says "I could drink every one of those toe-rags under the table and still stop off for a pint on my way home".
"If I wanted a lecture about drinking I'd ask the missus".

DJR David is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-04-2008, 11:02 AM   #2
Burnout
Falcon RTV - FG G6ET
Donating Member3

What happened, I missed it?

RTV Power
FG G6ET 50th Anniversary in Sensation.
While the basic Ford Six was code named Barra, the Turbo version clearly deserved its very own moniker – again enter Gordon Barfield.
We asked him if the engine had actually been called “Seagull” and how that came about.
“Actually it was just call “Gull”, because I named it that. Because we knew it was going to poo on everything”.
Burnout is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-04-2008, 11:05 AM   #3
fou_bleu
Get EcoBoosted

Never missed an ep. both series! It was awesome!!!
fou_bleu is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-04-2008, 11:09 AM   #4
Burnout
Falcon RTV - FG G6ET
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordman6
Never missed an ep. both series! It was awesome!!!
&..... What happened?

RTV Power
While the basic Ford Six was code named Barra, the Turbo version clearly deserved its very own moniker – again enter Gordon Barfield.
We asked him if the engine had actually been called “Seagull” and how that came about.
“Actually it was just call “Gull”, because I named it that. Because we knew it was going to poo on everything”.
Old 04-04-2008, 11:14 AM   #5
fou_bleu
Get EcoBoosted

http://www.bbc.co.uk/lifeonmars/ for all your needs (ie: ep. guide [what happened etc]...
Old 04-04-2008, 11:19 AM   #6
fou_bleu
Get EcoBoosted

or: (from Wikipedia)

The final episode depicts Sam waking from his coma, only to find the modern world devoid of feeling compared to his life in 1973. He ultimately takes a joyful leap from the top of the police station, returning to the past. Writer Matthew Graham wrote the scene to indicate that Sam is now in the afterlife, but acknowledged that the ending is ambiguous and open to other interpretations, such as John Simm's belief that Sam may not have returned to the present. The first episode of Ashes to Ashes shows Sam's personnel file, which is stamped "SUICIDE".

In the final shot, the team drives off, with Sam and Gene bickering as usual. Children run past, including the girl from Test Card F. She looks directly into the camera before reaching out and "switching off" the television the viewer is watching, signifying that the story has come to an end.
Old 04-04-2008, 11:24 AM   #7
Burnout
Falcon RTV - FG G6ET
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordman6
or: (from Wikipedia)

The final episode depicts Sam waking from his coma, only to find the modern world devoid of feeling compared to his life in 1973. He ultimately takes a joyful leap from the top of the police station, returning to the past. Writer Matthew Graham wrote the scene to indicate that Sam is now in the afterlife, but acknowledged that the ending is ambiguous and open to other interpretations, such as John Simm's belief that Sam may not have returned to the present. The first episode of Ashes to Ashes shows Sam's personnel file, which is stamped "SUICIDE".

In the final shot, the team drives off, with Sam and Gene bickering as usual. Children run past, including the girl from Test Card F. She looks directly into the camera before reaching out and "switching off" the television the viewer is watching, signifying that the story has come to an end.
Thanks........

RTV Power
Old 04-04-2008, 11:25 AM   #8
Paxton
Cobblers!

Ashes to Ashes. First series has just finished in the UK. It is excellent, however the Quattro is no Cortina, and no Sam Tyler.

For those with net Savvy, it is all over #BT.

As you can tell, I'm a LOM fan.
Roses are red. Violets are blue. OS X rocks. Homage to you.
Paxton is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-04-2008, 12:28 PM   #9
Ozfords
Girls! Drink! ****! ****!

Another reason why the British are effin good at whacking together a TV show. Life On Mars was fresh and original, dialogue sharp and crisp, cinematography was amazing.

America is like a sausage machine, with the odd gem and Australia, no matter how good the storyline, like Underbelly, you still can't take it seriously because of amatuer like filming and editing.

Life On Mars a bloody classic, I personally can't wait to buy Series 2, I don't care I'll pay full freight.

1993 ED Fairmont Sedan - I6 - Colbalt Blue
- XH Snorkel
- Superlow Kings Springs and KYB Shocks
- Cross Drilled and Slotted DBA front Discs
- 18" pre-AU GT-P Alloy Wheels
- Ford Original Bootlid Spoiler
Ozfords is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-04-2008, 12:34 PM   #10
Geez Louise
Awesome

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: All the behind the scenes things that help the community. 

And here I was thinking that scientist finally figured out and found the rest of my mother-in-laws family. Always thought she was from mars! :evil3:
Old 04-04-2008, 02:25 PM   #11
Paxton
Cobblers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozfords
Another reason why the British are effin good at whacking together a TV show. Life On Mars was fresh and original, dialogue sharp and crisp, cinematography was amazing.

America is like a sausage machine, with the odd gem and Australia, no matter how good the storyline, like Underbelly, you still can't take it seriously because of amatuer like filming and editing.

Life On Mars a bloody classic, I personally can't wait to buy Series 2, I don't care I'll pay full freight.
There is something about the way the British do everything - very few special effects, great settings, and fantastic music. Gene Hunt will live on far longer than the series will be remembered. Sam Tyler is rumoured to be in AtoA for its second series, as... I'm not saying any more.
Old 04-04-2008, 02:31 PM   #12
fou_bleu
Get EcoBoosted

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paxton
Sam Tyler is rumoured to be in AtoA for its second series, as... I'm not saying any more.
Continue!!!
Old 04-04-2008, 02:45 PM   #13
irlewy86
Meep Meep

I was pretty disappointed, I only started watching it a few weels ago and realised how awesome it is.
Old 04-04-2008, 03:49 PM   #14
fou_bleu
Get EcoBoosted

There's only two seasons (this and the season before) and it costs $60 on DVD (abcshop.com.au) per season... I might wait a while until ATA airs here...
Old 04-04-2008, 04:40 PM   #15
DJR David
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

BBC site for ashes to ashes

http://www.bbc.co.uk/drama/ashestoashes/

Ashes To Ashes - swapping the Ford Cortina for an Audi Quattro, DCI Gene Hunt rolls up his sleeves and embraces the Eighties in sequel to Life On Mars

Category: TV Drama; BBC One
Date: 11.04.2007
Printable version

After a gripping finale to the critically-acclaimed and multi award-winning Life On Mars on BBC One, Kudos, Monastic Productions and the BBC are delighted to announce the next chapter – Ashes To Ashes.

DCI Gene Hunt (Philip Glenister) is back but he's no longer the self-styled "Sheriff of Manchester".

Flanked by his faithful sidekicks, Ray Carling (Dean Andrews) and Chris Skelton (Marshall Lancaster), and drawn to the action and intrigue of the London Met, Gene turns his attentions to taking on the "southern nancy" criminal scum.

However, Gene does not expect to be thrown together with sexy, intelligent, DCI Alex Drake.

Single mother to daughter Molly, Alex has rapidly risen through the ranks of the Met and, in the modern world of 2008, skilfully uses psychological profiling to capture suspects.

When Alex and her daughter are kidnapped she makes a daring attempt at escape, resulting in a horrific accident.

Alex suddenly finds herself in 1981 interacting with familiar characters, not just from her own life-time, but also from the detailed reports logged by none other than Sam Tyler, which Alex has previously spent months pouring over.

Alex is ripped from her current world of sexual equality and respect in 2008 and finds herself opposite an arrogant fellow DCI in a Two Tone, New Romantic Eighties London with a soundtrack of Adam Ant, Roxy Music and The Human League ringing in her ears.

Alex finds some of Gene's team has dispersed yet others, loyal as ever, are still in tow.

Now a technological whizz-kid in the squad's surveillance team, DC Chris Skelton has clearly moved with the times, along with a tight-permed DS Ray Carling who's keen to experience London's nightlife.

Frustrated by each other's stubbornness, the friction between Alex and Gene heats up. However, as the two titans collide, it becomes apparent there is more than just a professional tension emerging.

With the producers' search to cast the strong-willed DCI Alex Drake currently underway, filming is due to begin in London this summer, for transmission on BBC One next year.

Jane Featherstone, Executive Producer for Kudos, says: "Ashes to Ashes is the next chapter in the life of Gene Hunt, as seen through the eyes of a modern, no-nonsense woman.

"It's a touch of Moonlighting teamed with a measure of Miami Vice.

"The search for Gene's sexy side-kick is definitely on; she'll hopefully give him a serious run for his money."

Julie Gardner, BBC Wales Head of Drama, says: "Sam Tyler took us on an amazing journey with Life On Mars but his story always had a definite life span.

"However, fans will be excited to learn that Gene Hunt lives on through Ashes To Ashes and we're certain they will love his Eighties escapades."

Ashes To Ashes is written and created by Matthew Graham and Ashley Pharaoh, two creators of Life On Mars, with additional writing credits for Mark Greig (Life On Mars), Mick Ford (William And Mary) and Julie Rutterford (Life On Mars).

It is produced by Kudos, in association with Monastic Productions, the new production company of Graham and Pharaoh.

Graham also executive produces for Monastic Productions, alongside Jane Featherstone and Simon Crawford Collins for Kudos and BBC Wales Head of Drama, Julie Gardner, who has also commissioned the series.

Ashes To Ashes, an eight-part series of 60-minute episodes, is produced by Beth Willis.
DJR David is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-04-2008, 04:50 PM   #16
InfernoSR
Sales Representative

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: For research and posted write up on cooling system care and repair in AU.COM and offering help where possible 

Ok.. who has a copy i can borrow
Old 04-04-2008, 07:35 PM   #17
red_hotxr6
Banned

Yup all the episodes were quite good, glad he went back last night lol..what am i going to watch now..TORCHWOOD...OR is it doctor who...unscrambled..
red_hotxr6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-04-2008, 08:52 PM   #18
Riksta
Captain Malcolm Reynolds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paxton
Ashes to Ashes. First series has just finished in the UK. It is excellent, however the Quattro is no Cortina, and no Sam Tyler.

For those with net Savvy, it is all over #BT.

As you can tell, I'm a LOM fan.
OMFG, Ashes to Ashes is on BT? I never even knew. Now I know what to blow the rest of my monthly download cap on!!!
Originally Posted by Nikked
Riksta likes VN's so much, he has the ashes of a VN in a jar on the mantle piece, a vile of VN engine oil hanging from his neck and a BT1 build plate locked up in a safe, buried under 6ft of concrete.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Day-mow
pretty much what has happened here is i trolled you. and it was fun.
Riksta is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-04-2008, 10:38 PM   #19
nitroman
nitroman

Awesome.. loved it all, and the ending left it open. Glad there's more.
GASGAS 400 enduro.
Honda hr192 mower
nitroman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-04-2008, 12:50 AM   #20
JG66ME
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Great tech articles and assistance to all in the Classics arena. 

Ashes to Ahses is released on DVD in May I think, just pre-order on

www.amazon.co.uk

I never wait for them to show on TV here, just buy the DVDs asap. Wait for no one.

Steve
JG66ME is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-04-2008, 03:39 PM   #21
Riksta
Captain Malcolm Reynolds

Just watched the first episode of Ashes To Ashes, I don't know if it gripped me quite as much as Life On Mars did. There's just something about watching the 70's that appeals to me more than the 80's.

That being said, I did enjoy the show and will watch each episode through to the end, and when Gene says "Right...Let's fire up the Quattro" - that's going to be my new SMS tone for my phone :P
Originally Posted by Nikked
Riksta likes VN's so much, he has the ashes of a VN in a jar on the mantle piece, a vile of VN engine oil hanging from his neck and a BT1 build plate locked up in a safe, buried under 6ft of concrete.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Day-mow
pretty much what has happened here is i trolled you. and it was fun.
Riksta is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-04-2008, 06:00 PM   #22
Paxton
Cobblers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riksta
Just watched the first episode of Ashes To Ashes, I don't know if it gripped me quite as much as Life On Mars did. There's just something about watching the 70's that appeals to me more than the 80's.

That being said, I did enjoy the show and will watch each episode through to the end, and when Gene says "Right...Let's fire up the Quattro" - that's going to be my new SMS tone for my phone :P
A2A Gets better. The first couple of episodes take their time, but after that, it is really good.

For the Sam Tyler reference, you'll have to watch A2A.

red_hotxr6 - Torchwood just ended, Dr. Who is about to start. Glad I've changed my Internet plan.