Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Focus

Old 09-12-2009, 05:57 PM   #31
melbzetec
Old enough to know better

Thanks Eddie.

Yep, the Ford Racing head will be bolted onto the new shortblock

I've just bought a ported US 2000 intake manifold, which is a superior design in terms of flow to the stock one. So that will be going on

I love the Pipercross Viper, but there is no clean way to route the Cold Air intake pipe through the engine bay.

I have run it on the Dyno with just the short ram bellmouth, and it did what I'd thought it'd do....lost some midrange torque, but gained top end power.

So I'll use cold air intake for daily driving, bellmouth for show!
Mods: Ford Racing CNC'd cylinder head milled .040", 3 angle valve grind. Ford Racing Stage II camshafts. Ford Racing cam gears. Ford Racing long tube header. Random Technology hi flow cat. Herrod 2.25" stainless cat-back. Pipercross Viper intake. CFM 65mm throttle body. 2000 ported intake manifold. Herrod Custom SCT tune. Eibach suspension. Quaife ATB diff. Wilwood 13" brakes. Custom ST170 leather interior.
www.cardomain.com/ride/2773918

melbzetec is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-12-2009, 12:47 AM   #32
FOCUSonTHIS
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Steve....I haven't been on the forums in a while and just read everything that has happened to your car. It's a shame it happened because it was going well and was looking the goods. Hopefully this new short motor will keep itself in shape for a lot longer than the orginal one does

2002 AUIII XR6
1995 EF Falcon XR6
2003 LR Focus Zetec
1989 KE Laser TX3
FOCUSonTHIS is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-03-2010, 06:23 PM   #33
melbzetec

Car is back.

Still some issues with battery and starting (supposed to be sorted...but not) but engine is very strong.

And Quaife LSD is BRILLIANT! Hard launches, or drive it HARD into a corner, and it just lays the power down.

More news when fully sorted
Mods: Ford Racing CNC'd cylinder head milled .040", 3 angle valve grind. Ford Racing Stage II camshafts. Ford Racing cam gears. Ford Racing long tube header. Random Technology hi flow cat. Herrod 2.25" stainless cat-back. Pipercross Viper intake. CFM 65mm throttle body. 2000 ported intake manifold. Herrod Custom SCT tune. Eibach suspension. Quaife ATB diff. Wilwood 13" brakes. Custom ST170 leather interior.

Old 08-03-2010, 10:37 AM   #34
Tj-zetec
Knows nothing. Apparently

Fantastic news mate!!! (allthough a boat would probably be of more use down in M-town at the moment)

The kids over on the XR5 forums love their quaifes, but they are finding them to be putting a lot more wear on clutches and drive shafts, which are barely adequate in the 5 anyway.

A few guys have reported that it makes the back behave a little differently, but that may be a trait of Fwd with an LSD.

Anyway, best of luck with it mate!!

1975 Mitsubishi/Chrysler GC Galant 2-door Hardtop. 4G63 DOHC heart transplant nearly complete!
Check out the build over here
Tj-zetec is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-03-2010, 01:37 PM   #35
DZFord
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: LS Focus PCV Valve & Hose replacement, a very detailed write up with photos. 

It must be great haivng the car back. Where did you get the engine and LSD done?
DZFord is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-03-2010, 03:08 PM   #36
melbzetec

Rob Herrod did the engine, and he got his "gearbox guy" to fit the LSD...don't know who that is!

Old 09-03-2010, 03:24 PM   #37
XR5-Boy
You mad, bro?

excellent news Steve! I'm calling a meet! How's this sunday? lol

SFS 2007 Best Cougar, SFS 2010/2011 Best Focus XR5
XR5-Boy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-03-2010, 04:10 PM   #38
Fled74
The Thread Killa

Good to hear you're back on track Steve.

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." - Aristotle
Fled74 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-03-2010, 05:51 PM   #39
Talldude

Good to hear that its alright now.

Do you know what power the motor develops now?
With ST170 Suspension all round, ST170 Snorkel, K&N air filter, 2.0 Auto Air deflector, MSD Ignition coils and high amp leads. (In red adds at least 5bhp!) Also Under pulley kit. Refreshed ST170 wheels now!
Talldude is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-03-2010, 07:01 PM   #40
Tj-zetec
Knows nothing. Apparently

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talldude
Good to hear that its alright now.

Do you know what power the motor develops now?
Good question. I wonder if the manifold will be enough to nudge it over the magic 100Kw mark?

1975 Mitsubishi/Chrysler GC Galant 2-door Hardtop. 4G63 DOHC heart transplant nearly complete!
Check out the build over here
Tj-zetec is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-03-2010, 07:23 PM   #41
melbzetec

I'm going to let the engine settle in for a while before testing it.

But I'm hoping to crack 100kW at the wheels.

Then no more engine mods!!!!

I also have a tune coming from the U.S. (one of Tom's Tunes for those that frequent the Focus Fanatics site..... probably the most experienced Focus tuner in the U.S.), so hopefully that will squeeze a bit more out of it. Rob is happy to do a back to back dyno run between the two tunes.

Mind you, it is back in the shop today....we've struck a problem with the starter motor which is draining the battery. I'd bought one from a wreckers but it didn't fit, and whilst the old one bench tested OK, it is obviously faulty.

Frustrating, but we'll get there.

Next (final ???) mods are:

Fitting an AEM wideband Air Fuel Ratio gauge....so we can datalog the air fuel ratio, allowing Tom to make final tweaks to his tune (gauge will be mounted in the glovebox cause it's ugly!)

Have Boston Acoustic speakers and JL amp fitted.

Get Wilwood brakes fitted (once I get the bloody hub nuts off the ST170 driveshafts to free the brake knuckles....god that nut is hard to shift!)

Then a couple of little cosmetic things......and then hopefully I'll just drive the bloody thing and stop breaking it

Old 09-03-2010, 09:01 PM   #42
DBourne
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

sounds good buddy!!

Didn't realise what had happened, but glad to see u have bounced back better than ever!
Old 11-03-2010, 02:16 PM   #43
DZFord
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: LS Focus PCV Valve & Hose replacement, a very detailed write up with photos. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by melbzetec
Rob Herrod did the engine, and he got his "gearbox guy" to fit the LSD...don't know who that is!
Wise choice, I should have guessed!

Quote:
Then no more engine mods!!!!
:( :(

Quote:
Fitting an AEM wideband Air Fuel Ratio gauge....so we can datalog the air fuel ratio, allowing Tom to make final tweaks to his tune (gauge will be mounted in the glovebox cause it's ugly!)
I sometimes visit the Focus Fanatics site and I hear that the wideband A/F device is a worthy addition when undertaking more in-depth custom tuning. On the whole, I've read good things about Tom's tunes.

By the way, I can't wait to see some pics of the new brakes fitted on your car. Good luck with the stuck nut! (That sounds really wrong for some reason).
DZFord is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-03-2010, 12:17 AM   #44
photn
AFF Post NAZI

Hey steve,

Glad to hear/see the car is back up and on the road.

how are you going with the brakes? everything okay? if there is anything i can do or you need let me know..

If there are any parts you dont need let me know and if possible sent them back up to me (ill pay of course).

Sent ya a PM. let me know how you go.

photn is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-03-2010, 09:38 AM   #45
melbzetec

Thanks Sean. Finally got the driveshaftfs out of the brake knuckles yesterday. Want to clean them up first before getting the brakes put in. It will be a few months yet, as the bank balance is pretty desolate after having to spend money on the engine

Old 30-03-2010, 08:59 PM   #46
20focus05
I wanna XR5

those driveshaft nuts can be really tight, we have had a car on the ground (tyre still on) with brakes on then 3/4 socket with breaker bar then a 2 meter tube on that, then jump on it.

But wow on the mods

Ex Ford owner and member of this great site for ages.

South Australia, where the RIGHT hand lane is the NEW LEFT lane??????!!! %&#@*
20focus05 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post