Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 18-04-2006, 10:15 PM   #1
vfast
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Air Con woes...

Hi everyone,
Not sure if anyone else has experienced similar problems...my air conditioning works fine (as in ice cold) in cool to mild outside temperatures ...but if its a hot day it will be cold for a bit, then go warm...then may go cold again....warm again...and then may stay warm...

its almost as if the outside temperature goes above a certain level my air-conditioning throws the toys out of the pram...really frustrating because this is when I need air-con the most

gas must be ok as its still ice cold all other times...

any ideas? I have had work done to the front when I bought the car from a damaged vehicle auction (its an AUII futura). Why would a hot outside temperature change the 'coldness' of my air-con?

any help would be most appreciated...

cheers
J

vfast is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-04-2006, 10:41 PM   #2
XR6-VCT-2000
Fantastic Plastic

When using ya aircon , once i's running at a cool temp , flick the air switch to recycle the air in the cabin , takes alot of stress off the aircon and it seems to stay cooler, try that first anyway . ;) .

:eclipsee_
XR6-VCT-2000 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-04-2006, 10:44 PM   #3
vfast
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

hmm...I only ever have it on recycle...not keen on the car fumes (I live on a busy highway and so get enough just living lol)
Old 18-04-2006, 10:55 PM   #4
XR6-VCT-2000
Fantastic Plastic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juzman
hmm...I only ever have it on recycle...not keen on the car fumes (I live on a busy highway and so get enough just living lol)
Sounds like it might need regasing then if thats the case , just because a aircon hasn't leaked all its life and is still full of gas doesn't mean the gas is any good anymore , obviouslly either the cores thermostat is buggered or it needs regasing or there is leaves and rubbish blocking the inlet flow of air from outside . the aircons thermostat being buggered i would maybe consider last ..

Old 18-04-2006, 10:55 PM   #5
peterban
AULTD

Just a thought, but maybe the engine temp is rising but not showing on the temp gauge and so a/c is cutting out to protect engine.
My LTD did this on the 40 degree day just when you really need a/c.
When I pulled over and opened the bonnet with the engine running I must have let a bit of heat out and the a/c started working again. Drove another 20 kms and it happened again.
Cooler days sees the a/c working perfectly, although the a/c man said that the pressures were o.k. gas wise but the compressor was not working efficiently and would eventually pack up.
Been 3 months since and a/c still working o.k.
peterban is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-04-2006, 10:59 PM   #6
XR6-VCT-2000
Fantastic Plastic

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterban
Just a thought, but maybe the engine temp is rising but not showing on the temp gauge and so a/c is cutting out to protect engine.
My LTD did this on the 40 degree day just when you really need a/c.
When I pulled over and opened the bonnet with the engine running I must have let a bit of heat out and the a/c started working again. Drove another 20 kms and it happened again.
Cooler days sees the a/c working perfectly, although the a/c man said that the pressures were o.k. gas wise but the compressor was not working efficiently and would eventually pack up.
Been 3 months since and a/c still working o.k.
Yep could be water temp affecting it too !

Old 18-04-2006, 11:22 PM   #7
TURBOTAXI
Turbo Falcon Fiend

make sure the A/C pump has a good earth.

Too many turbo toys......
2009 FG F6 Nitro LPI LPG 290rwkw on LPG.
2005 BAMKII XR6 Turbo with LPG (ex HWP 255,000k's and counting)
Honda 2001 CR500E Road registered CR500
Honda 1985 CR500 (the one with the arm ripping power)
DT200r regoed Hack
Yamaha IT/YZ 465 Vinduro rocket
Imported IT465 and 490 back up bikes
VF1000R mid 80's racer built by HMR
Honda CR480 Air cooled project road cafe racer.
T88 Turbo XT Falcon project with 351 Cleveland (mothballed)
Plus the rest.

TURBOTAXI is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-04-2006, 09:10 PM   #8
vfast
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

thanks for your advice guys...looks like there will be no simple fix (as always lol)