Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 18-04-2006, 05:55 PM   #1
GK
Walking with God

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 
Default Bargain Brakes! Wooohooo!

I called Hightek Brakes for dba slotted and Advance pads.

Answer is great news for us all!

$100 each front or rear, $55 for advance pads $10 postage to Melbourne metro area.

Even better news, this price for AU's is permanent until dba put up their price.
: : :

GK

2015 Kia Sorento Platinum - Snow White Pearl

2001 Ducati Monster 900Sie - Red

Now gone!
1999 AU1 Futura Wagon - Sparkling Burgundy
On LPG

Want a Full Life? John 10:10
GK is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-04-2006, 06:15 PM   #2
The Dok
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by GK
I called Hightek Brakes for dba slotted and Advance pads.

Answer is great news for us all!

$100 each front or rear, $55 for advance pads $10 postage to Melbourne metro area.

Even better news, this price for AU's is permanent until dba put up their price.
: : :

GK
Yup, did mine a few weeks ago, (from Cam @Hightek), you will be very happy with the pads especially, almost zero dust & no squeel compared to the nasty Ferodo pigs I removed that were only a few months old. Stops much better now, however, as in my case, a good idea is to bleed the rears as well, as careful as I was retracting the pistons (front) some air seems to have entered the lines so in bleeding the whole system, eliminated the spongy pedal I initially had. :
Old 18-04-2006, 06:27 PM   #3
GK
Walking with God

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dok
Yup, did mine a few weeks ago, (from Cam @Hightek), you will be very happy with the pads especially, almost zero dust & no squeel compared to the nasty Ferodo pigs I removed that were only a few months old. Stops much better now, however, as in my case, a good idea is to bleed the rears as well, as careful as I was retracting the pistons (front) some air seems to have entered the lines so in bleeding the whole system, eliminated the spongy pedal I initially had. :
Dok, any special trick to this, or a one way valved bleeding tool do the trick?

GK

Now gone!
On LPG

Old 18-04-2006, 06:37 PM   #4
The Dok
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by GK

GK
Good question............the same thing happened when I put those nasty Ferodo pads in @6 months ago (air in the lines). I guess it's a suck it & see situation. Mine wasn't bad, it was during the road-test I found a little more pedal travel than usual, so using new fluid (different colour) I bled them all through till the blue fluid was evident. Grab a mate, a six pack, whack it up on stands & go for it. It's recommended (by experts apparantly) to flush & renew fluid whenever changing/servicing brakes & I'd agree because brake fluid does become contaminated during normal use. :
Old 18-04-2006, 08:44 PM   #5
GK
Walking with God

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dok
Good question............the same thing happened when I put those nasty Ferodo pads in @6 months ago (air in the lines). I guess it's a suck it & see situation. Mine wasn't bad, it was during the road-test I found a little more pedal travel than usual, so using new fluid (different colour) I bled them all through till the blue fluid was evident. Grab a mate, a six pack, whack it up on stands & go for it. It's recommended (by experts apparantly) to flush & renew fluid whenever changing/servicing brakes & I'd agree because brake fluid does become contaminated during normal use. :
Cheers, I'll give it a go!

GK

Now gone!
On LPG

Old 18-04-2006, 09:47 PM   #6
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by GK

GK
I believe you should work from the wheel furthest away from the master cylinder, to the one closest. So RR, LR, RF, LF.
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

FPV 335 build stats: <click here>

Ford Performance Club ACT
JC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-04-2006, 09:55 PM   #7
svo347
AFF's 1st DM.......

Location: Wha???... There is only 2 states 2 be in.. WA or Drunk..

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC
I believe you should work from the wheel furthest away from the master cylinder, to the one closest. So RR, LR, RF, LF.
so thatd be LR,RR,LF,RF then :
Quote:
Originally Posted by zetec
I know what lengths they go to to ensure it's more than just a Ford sticker on the part. Ford doesn't throw it's name on anything for a quick buck.
06 Turbo Terri AWD 6 sp in Neo with stuff i didnt even need, side steps,15.2 inch roof mounted DVD,Pioneer $tezza,Selby 30/18mm swaybars,debunged,100 cpsi Ballistic cat,Plazmaman under battery Cai injectors 14/lb boost,ZF tuned,Xtreme's magic. :
svo347 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-04-2006, 09:59 PM   #8
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by svo347
so thatd be LR,RR,LF,RF then :
Yep. I pictured the car in mind, looking at it from the front. I am a dope sometimes (quiet Bucky).
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

Old 18-04-2006, 10:10 PM   #9
The Dok
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

This is true, I forgot to mention it because it's (to me) common sense. Well worth mentioning though. I still believe the AU1 brakes are more of a pain to work on than the previous models, I had no such dramas (air in the lines) with my EF or EA or XF before it. Still gotsta do the braided lines yet. :
Old 18-04-2006, 11:15 PM   #10
GK
Walking with God

Thanks for that info fellas. I'll buy a couple of bottles of Shell fluid tomorrow.

Any special technique apart from smooth pedal pushing and the one way valved bleeding tool?

Any special tools required to push the piston back? Any ABS issues I should be aware of? Come to think of it, I have a brake spoon (unopened) in the shed! LOL! Time to put it to some good use!

I'm changing pads on rear, and rotors and pads on the front. Rough time estimate?

GK

Now gone!
On LPG

Old 19-04-2006, 05:39 PM   #11
GK
Walking with God

Bump!

Now gone!
On LPG

Old 19-04-2006, 10:22 PM   #12
svo347
AFF's 1st DM.......

Location: Wha???... There is only 2 states 2 be in.. WA or Drunk..

Quote:
Originally Posted by GK

Any special tools required to push the piston back? Any ABS issues I should be aware of? Come to think of it, I have a brake spoon (unopened) in the shed! LOL! Time to put it to some good use!

I'm changing pads on rear, and rotors and pads on the front. Rough time estimate?

GK
With the ED*, the rears , i had to buy a special adapter that works off a 1/2 drive ratchet. i had to push and turn the piston, and no a screw driver wouldnt do it. so you may have to check that.
Use a pin punch and whack the countersunk screw that located the disc as sometimes they are stiff and youll end up buggering it trying to undo it.
Rough estimate. taking it steadily rears say1 hr.
As for the front im not sure, for me to jack , remove wheels,remove calipers,grease bearings,etc etc steady pace no rush 40mins each side...
just be aware when pushing the pistons back in, make sure the brake fluid level is very low otherwise you'll end up with fluid goin everywhere
Quote:
Originally Posted by zetec
I know what lengths they go to to ensure it's more than just a Ford sticker on the part. Ford doesn't throw it's name on anything for a quick buck.
06 Turbo Terri AWD 6 sp in Neo with stuff i didnt even need, side steps,15.2 inch roof mounted DVD,Pioneer $tezza,Selby 30/18mm swaybars,debunged,100 cpsi Ballistic cat,Plazmaman under battery Cai injectors 14/lb boost,ZF tuned,Xtreme's magic. :
svo347 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-04-2006, 11:20 PM   #13
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Pretty much what SVO347 said, except rear pistons on AUs are not the screw type as found on the early E series (thank God). I use a G clamp (and a small block of wood - 1 1/2" wide by 1/2" to 3/4" thick & 6" long) to push the piston back on both front and rear. No bearings to worry about with the fronts. And the countersunk screw can be a real b!tch to undo.

All up, not including flush, I can do the lot in about 1 hour. First time I did it though, it was more like 3 hours (Remember that Mr Cube??? LOL) just for the bloody rears.

Add an extra 40 mins or so for a complete flush.

Old 20-04-2006, 12:46 AM   #14
GK
Walking with God

Thanks guys, I've added that info to my file.

GK

Now gone!
On LPG

Old 20-04-2006, 01:37 AM   #15
GK
Walking with God

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC
Pretty much what SVO347 said, except rear pistons on AUs are not the screw type as found on the early E series (thank God). I use a G clamp (and a small block of wood - 1 1/2" wide by 1/2" to 3/4" thick & 6" long) to push the piston back on both front and rear. No bearings to worry about with the fronts. And the countersunk screw can be a real b!tch to undo.

All up, not including flush, I can do the lot in about 1 hour. First time I did it though, it was more like 3 hours (Remember that Mr Cube??? LOL) just for the bloody rears.

Add an extra 40 mins or so for a complete flush.
JC, would jacking up all 4 corners with safety stands aid the bleeding process, I have 2, someone else has 2. That was my idea anyway. It would mean having access to any wheel at any time, and rid me of the need to take off wheel, change pads (and rotor) put wheel back on, lower wheel, move to another wheel etc, etc, etc! Any problem with this? :

Otherwise I would probably use 2 stands, and do the rears first, considering that's where I need to start with the bleeding and flush process.

What do you think?

GK

Now gone!
On LPG

Old 20-04-2006, 01:35 PM   #16
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Personally, I would not trust 4 jack stands.

I would (and do) start with LR, change discs, pads and bleed. Then do RR and keep going around the car doing RF last. That way you only need to take each wheel off once.

JC

Old 20-04-2006, 02:08 PM   #17
GK
Walking with God

Thanks for that advice!

GK

Now gone!
On LPG