Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 24-02-2015, 12:05 PM   #1
Sam_Boss260
Have Boost, will use it..

Default Advice on inspecting AU Ute

I started a thread in the Ute and Panelvan Section, asking for opinions and experiences on a few ute variants, XF, XG, XH and AU.

Looks like I'm looking at a couple of AU utes in the next few days/ weeks. They are Series I (1999) and I think one is a Series II (2002).

From what I can gather on these forums, the common issues are the Ford rotors warping (standard thing) and there seems to be a few electrical gremlins in the power windows and central door locking.

Is there anything else to look at in particular to these series of utes? The ams of the utes that I'm looking at are all between 200,000kms and 250,000kms as this will be a third car just used for light domestic duties during a house reno, so trips to the dump, picking up occasional supplies, moving etc.

Thanks
Sam_Boss260 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-02-2015, 12:17 PM   #2
PridenJoy
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For his contributions to the forum, especially showcased with his highly detailed AU build threads. He is a fountain of AU knowledge. 
Default Re: Advice on inspecting AU Ute

2002 is a series III. Nothing really major goes wrong with them, some egas one are a bit dodgy when not maintained so look out for that, other than that it's the usual stuff, make sure it has been well maintained (fluids replaced etc) and there are no leaks and you should be ok for many more kms of motroing.
PridenJoy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-02-2015, 12:33 PM   #3
Sam_Boss260

Thanks for that.

So what year is a Series II? Is there anything that gives away the difference between Series I, II, III ?
Old 24-02-2015, 12:53 PM   #4
raised by monkeys
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

SII 2000 - 2001. SII & SIII are almost identical. Someone might be able to tell you the difference. If you can, check to see whether water has been getting in from the pedal box, as the spot welds are known to rust out. Check the door locking situation as the locking actuators often die. I hear the BA ones may fit?? (someone clarify). If you're buying a 5.0 also check for noises or difficulty starting, the cam synchronisers are poo. It is also common for the hood lining to sag. 5.0 sensors in the engine bay, the MAF and TB also need a bit of a clean.

Parts for the 5.0 are easy to get a hold of though being ford have used the same motor since the discovery of the wheel.

Current
SY FPV F6X Territory #214
Previous
FG MkII G6E Turbo built by Heinrichs Performance and Tuning
BFII FPV TORNADO #0021 351rwkw - Heinrich Performance and Tuning

"Milk is for babies. When you grow up you have to drink beer" - Arnold Schwarzenegger
raised by monkeys is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-02-2015, 01:04 PM   #5
Sam_Boss260

It's a 6cyl
Old 24-02-2015, 01:35 PM   #6
Golioth
Cruzin in FNQ

I have minor (hopefully) rust build ups under the rubber door seals adjacent to the base of the seats. 2002 model - 140000kms
Cheers
Golioth is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-02-2015, 01:49 PM   #7
OffRoadFalcon
"Flooded it mate?"

Compliance plate is a good way to find out if it's a SI, II, or III. Provided you're looking at the car in person
OffRoadFalcon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-02-2015, 01:50 PM   #8
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i would be having a really good look at the chassis for rust apart from the normal areas.... especially given your neck of the woods, i saw one a while ago for sale, it must have seen some floods or possibly even some salt water ? , the rails where like swiss cheese.
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-02-2015, 08:51 PM   #9
gS-Gstar
Starter Motor

Speaking from experience with my AU, look for rust under the tub lining. I've got about a dinner plate size rust hole , still passes pink slip though because it's not structural.
gS-Gstar is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 27-02-2015, 06:59 PM   #10
Jarry
Going with the X-Flow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam_Boss260 View Post
? Is there anything that gives away the difference between Series I, II, III ?
An AU1 should have a black background for the odometer. AU 2and3 should be silver. Subtle... But Ford make it a but harder to tell the yoots apart.

If you get a manual with a tow bar, make sure 5th gear isn't knackered from towing under load. Also check the firewall and pedal box for cracking from the heavy cable clutch.

If you get a one tonne manual, it might be fitted with 3.45 diff gears from the factory, I know the XH was.

If you get an auto with an external trans cooler already fitted, you've got a better chance of getting more miles out of the trans.

Good luck!!! But what could possibly go wrong... It's an AU!!!!
Jarry is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post: