Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 21-05-2008, 01:51 AM   #1
BFD83
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Question Module to control steering wheel audio controls

Does anyone have any modules controlling their steering wheel controls for the audio with their aftermarket head unit? I'm wanting to get one but not quite sure what one is the best way to go in terms of pricing etc.

Cheers!

Last edited by Brent83; 21-05-2008 at 01:51 AM. Reason: spelt a word wrong
BFD83 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-05-2008, 10:34 AM   #2
Riksta
Captain Malcolm Reynolds

I had one installed with my system when I had it done, I think the unit is called the "CAT-09" and works with most aftermarket head units.
Originally Posted by Nikked
Riksta likes VN's so much, he has the ashes of a VN in a jar on the mantle piece, a vile of VN engine oil hanging from his neck and a BT1 build plate locked up in a safe, buried under 6ft of concrete.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Day-mow
pretty much what has happened here is i trolled you. and it was fun.
Riksta is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-05-2008, 11:10 AM   #3
Chamelion
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Last I looked it was disgustingly expensive though.
Chamelion is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-05-2008, 11:56 AM   #4
ronwest
All Bran = Regular Member

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

I have a cat-10 in my car http://www.thecat.net.au/cat10.htm

Cost around $130 from JB Hifi.

As a by the by, I really didn't want to run the wiring up through the roof lining etc so I installed the "eye" in the centre console, just under the lid. Works a treat
ronwest is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-05-2008, 12:45 PM   #5
BillC

I have mine in the roof. Not hard to install at all.
BillC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-05-2008, 03:15 PM   #6
InfernoSR
Sales Representative

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: For research and posted write up on cooling system care and repair in AU.COM and offering help where possible 

Does anyone know the product list of H/U's that work with the steering wheel controls or that work with the Cat as a direct plug in?
Old 21-05-2008, 03:28 PM   #7
FGII-XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

selected alpine units only if you look at their site they show a little steeringwheel icon with steering wheel ready in the features icons here is an example http://www.alpine.com.au/products/pr...sp?modelID=366

"It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."

Start a new career as a bus driver

Rides:
FG2 XR6 stock at this stage but a very nice ride

xc 4 DOOR X CHASER 5.8 UNDER RESTO

Last edited by FGII-XR6; 21-05-2008 at 03:36 PM.
FGII-XR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-05-2008, 06:01 PM   #8
ronwest

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillC
I have mine in the roof. Not hard to install at all.
No, I didn't think it was difficult but if I can run one metre of wire in a straight line as opposed to running 3 metres of wire behind the dash, up the A-pillar and under the roof lining, I'll go with the one metre option ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLUEPRINT
Does anyone know the product list of H/U's that work with the steering wheel controls or that work with the Cat as a direct plug in?
About halfway down the page on my link there's a list but to save your finger this is the list of supported brands

Alpine* Kenwood* Clarion* Panasonic Eclipse* Pioneer JVC Sony

"*The CAT10 now comes with the direct connect capabilies so you can connect straight to Alpine, Clarion, Eclipse and Kenwood headunits with the 3.5mm jack"
Old 21-05-2008, 06:11 PM   #9
InfernoSR
Sales Representative

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: For research and posted write up on cooling system care and repair in AU.COM and offering help where possible 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronwest
About halfway down the page on my link there's a list but to save your finger this is the list of supported brands

Alpine* Kenwood* Clarion* Panasonic Eclipse* Pioneer JVC Sony

"*The CAT10 now comes with the direct connect capabilies so you can connect straight to Alpine, Clarion, Eclipse and Kenwood headunits with the 3.5mm jack"
Oh how funny :

I read that part, and all that is, is a list of manufacturers... not the H/U's that work...

au3xr6 linked one up, but states it still requires the CAT patching box... which on the CAT site says that is can be used with any H/U that supports this function with the 3.5mm jack point...
Old 21-05-2008, 06:18 PM   #10
ronwest

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLUEPRINT
Oh how funny :

I read that part, and all that is, is a list of manufacturers... not the H/U's that work...

au3xr6 linked one up, but states it still requires the CAT patching box... which on the CAT site says that is can be used with any H/U that supports this function with the 3.5mm jack point...
I was told by JB's that "all" later model hu's from the mentioned manufacturers are cat-10 (9) capable (eg my 3 year old Sony wasn't supported).

Is that what you're after?

I don't understand how you'll get on without the patching box?

edit: Oh ok, I see what you're after. I don't know that there are any aftermarket hu's that are directly controlled by the steering wheel controls. It would have to be a hu internal function. I'd guess there are way too many makes and models to do that.
With the cat box you have to a) select the make/model of the car as well as the make of the hu.

Last edited by ronwest; 21-05-2008 at 06:26 PM.
Old 21-05-2008, 10:33 PM   #11
InfernoSR
Sales Representative

Thanks ronwest... thats what i was basically after :P
Old 22-05-2008, 12:24 PM   #12
FGII-XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronwest
I was told by JB's that "all" later model hu's from the mentioned manufacturers are cat-10 (9) capable (eg my 3 year old Sony wasn't supported).

Is that what you're after?

I don't understand how you'll get on without the patching box?

the cat can be pluged directly into the selected alpines and they are the ony Hus with this available. all other HUs are cat compatible through IR hook up but I found this to be unreliable in bright sunlight. i had a kenwood with IR and it worked about 80% of the time but the bright sunlight interfered with the IR link

"It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."

Start a new career as a bus driver

Rides:
FG2 XR6 stock at this stage but a very nice ride

xc 4 DOOR X CHASER 5.8 UNDER RESTO
FGII-XR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-05-2008, 02:15 PM   #13
InfernoSR
Sales Representative

Quote:
Originally Posted by au3xr6
the cat can be pluged directly into the selected alpines and they are the ony Hus with this available. all other HUs are cat compatible through IR hook up but I found this to be unreliable in bright sunlight. i had a kenwood with IR and it worked about 80% of the time but the bright sunlight interfered with the IR link
Where abouts did you install the 'eye'?
Old 22-05-2008, 04:08 PM   #14
ronwest

Quote:
Originally Posted by au3xr6
the cat can be pluged directly into the selected alpines and they are the ony Hus with this available. all other HUs are cat compatible through IR hook up
Yeah, from what I can gather. Alpine is the only direct connect (no IR) without modification.

If I'm reading Cat's info correctly, Alpine, Kenwood, Clarion and Eclipse (I have no idea which models) are direct connect capable but with the Kenwood and the Eclipse you have to modify the connection (one needs a bullet connector and the other needs some soldering done).

Not sure what the deal with Clarion is. It says it should be direct connect but no further info on it.

With regard to sunlight, it's something that hadn't occurred to me. I haven't had any problems at all but I've got the windows tinted so that would tend to negate that issue.

Just for general info, when I was looking to get my steering wheel controls workable with my old Sony, it was suggested that a Pac-SWI may do the job. I contacted the oz supplier, alas it also didn't support my Sony but it may also be an option for those looking at steering wheel controls.
Old 22-05-2008, 05:01 PM   #15
BillC

[QUOTE=ronwest]No, I didn't think it was difficult but if I can run one metre of wire in a straight line as opposed to running 3 metres of wire behind the dash, up the A-pillar and under the roof lining, I'll go with the one metre option ;)

I thought about that as well but I decided that I might block the line of sight with drink cans or my hand because I tend to drive with my arm on the centre console and my hand draped over the edge. I chose the interrior light because less chance to block. I too have never had any interferrence from sunlight but also have tinted windows.
BillC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-05-2008, 06:43 PM   #16
ronwest

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillC
I thought about that as well but I decided that I might block the line of sight with drink cans or my hand because I tend to drive with my arm on the centre console and my hand draped over the edge. I chose the interrior light because less chance to block. I too have never had any interferrence from sunlight but also have tinted windows.
Haven't had a problem with drink cans but we usually don't leave them in the holders anyway. Very occasionally the top of the T-Bar gets in the way - only need to be shifted 1/8"... I've got another centre console to replace my original which was somewhat butchered to accomodate a mob phone holder. Bluetooth has removed that need. When I get around to fitting that console I'll sit the eye as high as I can and that should overcome any T-bar obstruction.
I used to use my left foot to press the buttons but since I've been using my left hand there's no obstruction
Old 23-05-2008, 10:50 AM   #17
SirHenry
Falcon Unbelievable!

My Blaupunkt head unit was able to have a Blaupunkt one added to it and from memory it was all that dear either ...
SirHenry is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-02-2015, 03:16 PM   #18
iftequar2k
Starter Motor

Default Re: Module to control steering wheel audio controls

See this video for steering wheel connection without using a 3rd party adaptor

http://youtu.be/zdpMfTkIdUA
iftequar2k is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post