Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Focus

Old 06-05-2005, 12:02 PM   #1
Mickey_D

Default Disintigrating wiring

I own a 1995 Mondeo GLX hatchback. It has done 172,000 km. I have owned it since new and it has been properly serviced throughout its life. However, I have been recently having trouble with the wiring breaking and have been advised by the mechanic that the wiring loom (and the wires) in the engine are disintigrating! I have been further advised by two sources that this is a fairly common problem in Mondeo's of this age, and that there has been at least one reported incident where a fire in the engine compartment has resulted. The mechanic has advised me that I am better off getting rid of the car. I'm not sure whether the mechanic is being unnecessarily alarmist. Has anyone encountered or heard about similar problems?
  Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-05-2005, 09:15 PM   #2
murcod
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Try posting the question on www.fordmondeo.org forums and you'll probably get an answer (UK based forums.) Is the insulation breaking down or something- sounds very strange to me?!

Some mechanics don't like fault finding things and pluck crazy solutions out their head. :hihi: (eg. the wife's Excel was surging and they blamed the injectors and water in the fuel tank- ended up fixing it myself and it was the wiring to the knock sensor broken!!)

The only problem I've heard of with Mondeos is the positive battery cable wearing through on something in the engine bay- can't remember the exact details?