Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Focus

Old 23-05-2005, 12:57 PM   #1
murcod
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

mmmmmm....... new Golf GTi- $39900 and 2.0l turbo, 147kW with six speed manual and all the luxury extras........ : Very nice!

http://www.volkswagen.com.au/2004/flash/default.asp
Old 23-05-2005, 01:31 PM   #2
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

while not quite on topic, the new golf gti might be good but if it has 4 doors (5 actually ) then its not a Gti IMO.

And if you where going to spend that much Id much prefer a new focus ST...
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Polyal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-05-2005, 01:46 PM   #3
Teki04
Clio 182 CUP!

GTI is getting rave reviews, and is supposed to be much better the the Megane 225.... GO the GTI!

'In fact, so good is the Clio 182 with the Cup chassis set-up that I feel moved to make a bold statement - I think it's the best hot hatch ever built.' (EVO Jan 04)
Teki04 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-05-2005, 09:32 PM   #4
murcod
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polyal
while not quite on topic, the new golf gti might be good but if it has 4 doors (5 actually ) then its not a Gti IMO.

And if you where going to spend that much Id much prefer a new focus ST...
Five doors means I'd look at buying one- two doors, forget it. I had my two door hot hatches when I was younger; but they just don't cut it if you need to use the back seats regularly.

The five door also makes more sense when you consider the age group the GTi is aimed at. But, seeing as they obviously make both there's no reason why the three door won't be available in the future.

IMHO forget aftermarket turboing- it's risky (never know what might let go), it will cost you plenty both up front and in insurance, plus you'll have major trouble doing it legally, and finally you will have trouble selling your vehicle when you want to update.

Last edited by murcod; 23-05-2005 at 09:50 PM.
murcod is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-05-2005, 09:53 PM   #5
murcod
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Seems the admins have been busy creating new threads by cutting others in two?!
Old 23-05-2005, 10:57 PM   #6
Mick K.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mondeost24
mmmmmm....... new Golf GTi- $39900 and 2.0l turbo, 147kW with six speed manual and all the luxury extras........ : Very nice!

http://www.volkswagen.com.au/2004/flash/default.asp
I had a look at one of these last Friday - a very nice car and a bit of a bargain considering what you get with it. The optional no-clutch-pedal twin clutch 6 speed DSG box is faster and more economical than the manual and includes a F1 style launch control feature that lets you hold both pedals down and it controls the revs and gives a reportedly sub 6 sec 0-100 time when you let the brake pedal go. (VW factory figures have been shown to be a gross underestimate of the speed). $46K is my quoted price on the road with DSG as the only option.

My wife only drives autos and the DSG gearbox is the first "auto" box I've ever had any real enthusiasm for. There aren't really any self shifting competitors in the same performance and price range: 4 sp auto WRX :(, Megane 225 is manual only. Ferrari charge $26K for a similar gearbox as an option on the 360! (not that I'm comparing a Ferrari 360 to a Golf GTI !! )

Will be interesting to see how the turbo 5 cyl Focus goes up against it, whether it will be released in Aus, whether it will have 5 doors, etc.

Re: 3-doors: It seems like a "sporty" idea at the time and is supposed to have better body rigidity than the 5 door, but getting into the back seat, the length of the front doors and the reach back to the front seat belts are all little things I find annoying about my 3 dr Focus.

MK
Mick K. is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-05-2005, 01:15 PM   #7
zetec
Zoom Zoom

5 doors.... I wasn't able to justify paying $1,500 more for a car that
a) looked less sporty
b) was more convenient for the people who don't pay a cent for it
c) wasn't as safe for the most important person in the car... moi. Majority 1 person driven.

I just don't like the look of 5 door hatches generally, although I don't mind the new one. body colour handles go a LONG way to making it look beter IMO.
Old 24-05-2005, 01:27 PM   #8
b2tf
not here much anymore

Quote:
Originally Posted by zetec
5 doors.... I wasn't able to justify paying $1,500 more for a car that
a) looked less sporty
b) was more convenient for the people who don't pay a cent for it
c) wasn't as safe for the most important person in the car... moi. Majority 1 person driven.

I just don't like the look of 5 door hatches generally, although I don't mind the new one. body colour handles go a LONG way to making it look beter IMO.
Blue ones over 17's look alright though dont they?!
Old 24-05-2005, 01:38 PM   #9
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

yeah whats up with this thread..wierd!

I have nothing against 5 door hatches; but they are simply less sporty looking than a 3 door. And wouldn't a 5 door weigh more anyway? I thought it was meant to be the hottest hatch you could buy.
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Polyal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-05-2005, 02:21 PM   #10
Teki04
Clio 182 CUP!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polyal
5 door weigh more anyway? I thought it was meant to be the hottest hatch you could buy.
Well, as most car companies have it, the 3 door is always the hot hatch ala Peugeot 206 GTi 180, Renault Clio Sport, Mini Cooper S etc etc... not to mention the Fiesta zetec, Focus ST170 all being 3 doors....

'In fact, so good is the Clio 182 with the Cup chassis set-up that I feel moved to make a bold statement - I think it's the best hot hatch ever built.' (EVO Jan 04)
Old 24-05-2005, 05:01 PM   #11
zetec
Zoom Zoom

3 doors are traditionally the hot hatches, but that's just because they look sporty as agreed here, nothing against a 5 door Golf GTi or a cranking good 5 door that looks good, just don't like the look of the 5 door Focus personally.

Give me a 5 door SP23 ANYDAY!!!!!
Old 24-05-2005, 09:04 PM   #12
b2tf
not here much anymore

Quote:
Originally Posted by zetec
Give me a 5 door SP23 ANYDAY!!!!!
Oh definately, I love these things.
Old 24-05-2005, 10:43 PM   #13
Teki04
Clio 182 CUP!

MMMMMMMMMMMMM..... SP23 lowered on stocks....
Also, is the new focus coming out in a 3 door?

Old 25-05-2005, 07:27 PM   #14
murcod
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Can tell all you guys are young and don't need to use the rear seats!

I've had the following two doors (bought new, showing my age here....) '90 Laser 4WD turbo - the 1.8 litre version ; a '95 Peugeot 306 S16; and an old second hand Charade (fitted with a Jap import turbo GTti engine : ). But once there's the thought of possibly having to use the rear seats regularly (ie children) the two doors just don't cut it.

I've always found it funny that the cheapest model in any hatchback range is always a two door (ie cheap to make)- but so is the dearest "sports" version too?! I was pleasantly surprised to see a five door GTi.
Old 25-05-2005, 11:34 PM   #15
zetec
Zoom Zoom

I can agree with that, have never had the need for constant 5 doors yet and my next car will hopefully be a 3 door too, if the ST comes out here!!
Old 25-05-2005, 11:52 PM   #16
Mick K.

I find the access to the back seat of my 3dr Zetec pretty good actually - even when putting the baby into the baby-seat. The things I find harder to live with are the length of the doors and the reach back to the seatbelts!

MK
Mick K. is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-05-2005, 12:21 AM   #17
Teki04
Clio 182 CUP!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mick K.
I find harder to live with are the length of the doors and the reach back to the seatbelts!

MK
SO TRUE WITH THE SEATBELTS!!!! and long doors means scratches on the panel rear of the door where you scrap past trying to get in without wide open doors.

And MondeoSt24... You had a Peugeot 306 S16?!?!?! What was that like?! I was looking for one when i got my car... very hard task to get one in good condition!

Old 26-05-2005, 12:23 AM   #18
Teki04
Clio 182 CUP!

Oh, also... anyone got the new Wheels Mag?!

I got it today, and awesome hatchback comparo!

AUDI A3 Sportback 2.0T FSi VS MG ZS 180 VS RENAULTSport Megane 225 VS VW GTI VS BMW 120i Sport with options

Great read! Any guesses to who won?! lol