Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

View Poll Results: If Howard called an election tomorrow, who would you vote for?
Coalition 22 31.88%
Labor 13 18.84%
Greens 4 5.80%
Democrats 1 1.45%
Family First 1 1.45%
One Nation 3 4.35%
Christian Democrats 0 0%
Independant 3 4.35%
Donkey 16 23.19%
I hate democracy, hand me the fine good sir! 6 8.70%
Voters: 69. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 08-11-2006, 01:32 AM   #1
Uni

Default Who would you vote for?

given that, at least from what i have witnessed, there is an enourmous variety of political opinion on this forum, i have an interesting question for you:

If a Federal lower house elections were called now, who would you vote for, and why?

i appreciate that this is a sensitive topic, so i ask 2 things:

1. if people are offended at the notion of explaining their voting preferences, or in fact revealing them at all, don't comment... go ***** to mods or something, i'm sure they care. frankly i don't want to hear about it. also bear in mind this is a hypothetical, and the next election is still a long way off. i figure it's our 3 seconds of democratic power so it might as well be a shared experience

2. for those set in your political ways, don't flame others for their opinions, educated or otherwise. the fact they have an opinion/interest in politics at all is a feat into and unto itself in this country.

Uni/.

Old 08-11-2006, 01:59 AM   #2
MethodX
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Labor here

Last edited by Casper; 08-11-2006 at 08:50 AM.
Old 08-11-2006, 02:07 AM   #3
Uni

I threw in democrats out of respect for what they once were... i'd love to kick start them again, seeing as the Libs are no longer the "broad church" they once claimed to be

Uni/.
Old 08-11-2006, 02:14 AM   #4
Lukeyson
Right out sideways

to be honest i am that into politics, i dont know the difference, and what each one represents
Old 08-11-2006, 02:57 AM   #5
fmc351
let it burn

Which ones using the vaseline?
Old 08-11-2006, 06:33 AM   #6
Scareybear
GRRRR.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by fmc351
Which ones using the vaseline?
They all are, we're the ones that will get shafted.

If you sneeze with your eyes open, do your eyes pop out??
Old 08-11-2006, 09:00 AM   #7
Bill M
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Who I vote for depends on the policies that they offer and whether they are core promises or non core promises. :hihi:
cheers
Bill.
Old 08-11-2006, 09:01 AM   #8
snortycorty

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR8fella
to be honest i am that into politics, i dont know the difference, and what each one represents
Same here, wouldn't have an absolute clue. I just know that Bracks is a weener head and will never get my vote!
Old 08-11-2006, 10:50 AM   #9
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR8fella
I'm the same way. To the average joe, they wouldn't understand what a particular politician represents.

Also I think politicians should do what the majority of the country wants not what they might think is "in the best interest of Australia"!

I have my right to vote and I waive it without hesitation.
Old 08-11-2006, 11:22 AM   #10
BJ
Banned

I don't think it is any ones business who any of us vote for.
Old 08-11-2006, 12:17 PM   #11
photn
AFF Post NAZI

i dont vote at all..i go in and get my name marked off and walk off.....whats the point in voting.....if your voting on the basis of changes and all that you know that they wont happen untill the ellection after that.......its stupid there all liers and fakes...there all full of BS....whats the point.... i cant believe that we pay them for this....and we pay tax on it as well. JEEZ..... dont get me started on TAX boy o boy will i get upset.....*FUMING*

Old 08-11-2006, 12:25 PM   #12
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

To paraphrase a previous quote.

"Democracy is two dingos and a rabbit voting on what is for lunch"
"Freedom, liberty & equality is when the rabbit has a gun"

This is probably why guns are banned.......well unless you are a dingo of course......
Old 08-11-2006, 12:27 PM   #13
XR Martin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by photn
i dont vote at all..i go in and get my name marked off and walk off.....whats the point in voting.....if your voting on the basis of changes and all that you know that they wont happen untill the ellection after that.......its stupid there all liers and fakes...there all full of BS....whats the point.... i cant believe that we pay them for this....and we pay tax on it as well. JEEZ..... dont get me started on TAX boy o boy will i get upset.....*FUMING*
**** off and move to North Korea then, you dont have to worry about voting or any of the other hardships of living in a Democracy.
2016 FGX XR8 Sprint, 6speed manual, Kinetic Blue #170

2004 BA wagon RTV project.

1998 EL XR8, Auto, Hot Chilli Red

1993 ED XR6, 5speed, Polynesian Green. 1 of 329. Retired

1968 XT Falcon 500 wagon, 3 on the tree, 3.6L. Patina project.
Old 08-11-2006, 12:34 PM   #14
BJ
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by photn
i don't vote at all..i go in and get my name marked off and walk off.....whats the point in voting.....if your voting on the basis of changes and all that you know that they wont happen until the election after that.......its stupid there all liars and fakes...there all full of BS....whats the point.... i cant believe that we pay them for this....and we pay tax on it as well. JEEZ..... don't get me started on TAX boy o boy will i get upset.....*FUMING*
Well look what we have here. Let me get this right. You don't vote but you live your life in a free thinking society but you don't what the responsibility's of make a decision for the freedom. You my friend should either do the right thing or go to a place were you morals aren't offended. It is people like you who sit back and complain about what is wrong but wont get up off your **** and do something about it. you have no right to say anything about the way this country is run. As they say in the classics's put up or shut up. Bj
Old 08-11-2006, 12:50 PM   #15
GCFordChic
I love AU XR8s

Compromise is a funny thing. If I had to vote right now without hearing about policies etc I would vote for the main party who opposes the one i DO NOT want in government, not the party i would actually like to see in power, seeing as though i know the party i support will not hold the majority of the house.

FPV & XR Owners Club of Qld
Want more info on our club?
fpvxrqldinfo@gmail.com
or see our Club Section

My Garage:
AU II XR8 Sedan "Lil T"
Hyundai i30 SR
yeah baby!
Old 08-11-2006, 01:01 PM   #16
rodderz

Political threads usually dont last long, because of the debates associated with them

It will be closed if it goes the way of the others
Old 08-11-2006, 01:11 PM   #17
photn
AFF Post NAZI

Quote:
Originally Posted by BJ
Well look what we have here. Let me get this right. You don't vote but you live your life in a free thinking society but you don't what the responsibility's of make a decision for the freedom. You my friend should either do the right thing or go to a place were you morals aren't offended. It is people like you who sit back and complain about what is wrong but wont get up off your **** and do something about it. you have no right to say anything about the way this country is run. As they say in the classics's put up or shut up. Bj
you can offend my morals all you want....carefactor = 0. the Fact is there my morals and im the one who has to live with them....who are you to tell me what morals i should have....

i see what your saying..that i should take part in this country's decision making...the matter of the fact is that i dont believe that any one who we should be voting for would do whats best for the Country....no one listed would do whats in the best interest of the Country(what the ppl want)....they would all do what they THINK the ppl want....not to mention most of them are lyers.....look at old johnny here....GST was supposed to replace sumthing like 8 taxes...YET there are still all those TAXES there..... surely there is someone out there that KNOWS what the people want and need.....

im waiting in line like ever other person in this country to get a go at talking to old johnny about the taxes....

apart from that im not doing anything wrong so why should i give a FK....ill die in 60 or so years then big whoop...my life made such an impact on the world didnt it!!!

id rather let things run there path then interfere with something way too complicated and run by morons...

Old 08-11-2006, 01:12 PM   #18
photn
AFF Post NAZI

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR6 Martin
**** off and move to North Korea then, you dont have to worry about voting or any of the other hardships of living in a Democracy.
ware in my post did i say that i hate AUS and that i think its a crap hole.....ummmm....i cant find it....you show me!!!!

so please keep your comments to yourself unless you have a valid Point!

Old 08-11-2006, 01:13 PM   #19
jimmy_c
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I dunno but i wont be going for Liberal. Howard is treating aussies like blind puppets.

Meh Vote 1 for Minge as PM !!
Old 08-11-2006, 01:41 PM   #20
nugget378
Weezland

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to impart knowledge in the technical areas. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR6 Martin
If Kimmy stood for election here Id vote for him..
Old 08-11-2006, 01:47 PM   #21
max
LWBforME

Sure won't vote for Labor. Not an ounce of talent in that camp IMO.
Greens will attract my vote.
Old 08-11-2006, 02:24 PM   #22
Sourbastard
Contributing Member

Go Donkey! Go!!!

1965 XP Falcon Deluxe Sedan
1978 XC Falcon Wagon Rallypack
2003 BA Fairlane G220

Windsor Powah!!! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m7hT9dxD2hM

Old 08-11-2006, 02:28 PM   #23
drcook
I Bleed Orange!

[QUOTE=jimmy_c]I dunno but i wont be going for Liberal. Howard is treating aussies like blind puppets.
QUOTE]

alot of aussies are blind puppets! LOL.

although im not died-in-the-wool liberal supporter, i cant stand the 'fat used-car salesman', and i cringe at 17% interest rates and the recesion "we had to have".

And going on today's latest news

http://www.smh.com.au/news/national/...661724577.html

the nsw labour party is sailing like the titanic, so if i went to the polls tomorrow it would be federal: Liberal and State: Liberal.
Old 08-11-2006, 02:31 PM   #24
Casper
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Contributing Member

lets just keep to the poll and stay away from the political commentary in this thread. It's an interesting poll but if it gets out of hand it will be deleted.

Now in Euro-Trash. VW Coupe V6 4motion.
Old 08-11-2006, 02:43 PM   #25
photn
AFF Post NAZI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper
lets just keep to the poll and stay away from the political commentary in this thread. It's an interesting poll but if it gets out of hand it will be deleted.
no probs Casper ive had my say...wont be visiting this thread again till i want to see the results.....

Old 08-11-2006, 04:05 PM   #26
GXL078
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

All I know is BUSH or NO BUSH, either way we're FU**ED!
Old 08-11-2006, 05:42 PM   #27
Uni

some interesting results here, it seems the Donkey is a popular choice for alot of people... australian political parties are obviously of limited appeal to alot of people here

interesting that the liberal party is still out it front despite consecutive interest rate rises and probing by the Cole commission. i could personally never vote for Howard or the libs, which is a dilemma because our local liberal member is actually a really decent bloke. fingers crossed he takes the top job (Turnbull)

oh and Peter Costello reminds me of Maj. Frank Burns from M*A*S*H :

Uni/.
Old 08-11-2006, 06:08 PM   #28
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uni
some interesting results here, it seems the Donkey is a popular choice for alot of people... australian political parties are obviously of limited appeal to alot of people here

interesting that the liberal party is still out it front despite consecutive interest rate rises and probing by the Cole commission. i could personally never vote for Howard or the libs, which is a dilemma because our local liberal member is actually a really decent bloke. fingers crossed he takes the top job (Turnbull)

oh and Peter Costello reminds me of Maj. Frank Burns from M*A*S*H :

Uni/.
Yes but one of the problems with being young is you only read about history not actually live through it.
Look up interest rates over the last 50 years and who was in power at the time. It might not be who you think.

All politicians have a problem. If they actually solve problems they tend to upset people. If you build a bridge or dam or new road, hundreds of thousands benefit but don't really care but hundreds, whose properties are resumed or whatever now hate you.
If you do nothing except build sporting stadiums and give lots of money to whinging minorities then nearly everyone doesn't care so nobody hates you.
Of course nothing gets fixed but you can always blame everyone else and when it gets too hot set up one of your ministers for the dump and blame everything on them.
The other problem with not actually solving any problems and wasting money on "social schemes" is that you need more and more money. The best way to get lots of money without actually taxing people is, for example, promote gambling such as poker machines and take most of the income or implement unfair and unworkable traffic laws and implement thousands of speed cameras for "safety purposes".
The problem with this of course is that people might wake up that they are being scammed so you need to spend lots on advertising to brainwash the masses that this is the "right" thing to do.
Of course this costs lots of money so you need to implement stricter rules, more cameras and also find new minority groups, for example "P platers" to blame because as they are not the majority then they have no voice and can easily be villified.
The media will help with this because they know that most of the advertising revinue goes to them and of course it is always good to beat up a story.

Such is life in Australia.
Old 08-11-2006, 06:42 PM   #29
CobraLeMans
Horsepower Addict

As long as Beazley isn't at the helm, its all good.
Old 08-11-2006, 06:56 PM   #30
charles_wif_xf
Purveyor of filth

Labor, Liberal, same schisse, different smell. Both dance to the same tune. If everyone voted for an independant candidate, the government would be the ENTIRE parliament, not just one bunch voting on party lines.
Closed Thread