Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 11-12-2008, 01:12 AM   #1
XR6-VCT-2000
Fantastic Plastic

Default A few moon pictures.

I was just looking at the moon tonight through the telescope (nice clear night and large moon here in Melbourne). I noticed what looks like a south pole on the crater of the moon ????. There is like a crater clearly visible on the south side of the moon , no other craters are near it and there is like pole lines protruding from it towards the equator of the moon, interesting ( to me anyway ). Here's the pics I shot with my digital camera holding it up against the lense of the telescope.

cheers , enjoy.

:eclipsee_
XR6-VCT-2000 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-12-2008, 01:29 AM   #2
XR6_661
Cane Farmer

That is quite interesting.

Space really fascinates me. My theory is each solar system is a basic atomic structure. And we are part of something so big we can't even imagine. So for all we know, we could be one tiny atom that helps make up something dead simple like a grain of sand.

I could go on for hours.

1994 ED XR6T - Cobalt Blue.

2009 FG XR6 - Black.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex
I couldn't give a crap how many are in their family, what gay passtimes they paticipate in, or whether they have a cat, dog or a freaken fish.

Keep your stinking family to yourself god damn it.
XR6_661 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-12-2008, 01:45 AM   #3
xy500
Constant annoyance

looks like something big smacked into it, left a crater and some debris lines
xy500 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-12-2008, 03:11 AM   #4
XR6-VCT-2000
Fantastic Plastic

XR6 661... I totaly agree, even to think that a good majority of stars (suns) out probably have solar systems revolving around them like ours, and possibly other forms of life on planets like ours or totaly different ? ..lol , I could go on for hours too , it fascinates me , it always has !.

xy500... Yeah it sure does !. I've been looking at the moon for a few years now but never noticed this before , maybe this is a recent event ? , or maybe just an angle of the moon i haven't been able to capture yet.

Anyway, truelly fascinating looking through the lenses of telescopes at the stars and moon etc etc, some realy once in a life time stuff to be seen !!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 11-12-2008, 05:44 AM   #5
XR6-VCT-2000
Fantastic Plastic

Also on those pics , about 10 o'clock (top left) you can see a white dot !. This dot was actually brighter than the brightest part of the moon ( hard to see in these pics , but / it's nearly on the dark side of the moon ). Even my wife said it was extremly bright, and makes me wonder what would reflect the sun so much on such a dark part of the moon ? . hmmmm

Old 11-12-2008, 07:24 AM   #6
Rodp
Regular Schmuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR6-VCT-2000
xy500... Yeah it sure does !. I've been looking at the moon for a few years now but never noticed this before , maybe this is a recent event ? , or maybe just an angle of the moon i haven't been able to capture yet.
It seems like you're talking about Clavius which is an impact crater ~225km's wide.

Surprised you haven't noticed it. It's visible to the naked eye and has been there for ~4 billion years.
Rodp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-12-2008, 08:34 AM   #7
Burnout
Falcon RTV - FG G6ET
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodp
It seems like you're talking about Clavius which is an impact crater ~225km's wide.

Surprised you haven't noticed it. It's visible to the naked eye and has been there for ~4 billion years.
Rubbish! Everyone knows its a Turkeys Nest Dam and the lines radiating from it are cattle pads.

RTV Power
FG G6ET 50th Anniversary in Sensation.
While the basic Ford Six was code named Barra, the Turbo version clearly deserved its very own moniker – again enter Gordon Barfield.
We asked him if the engine had actually been called “Seagull” and how that came about.
“Actually it was just call “Gull”, because I named it that. Because we knew it was going to poo on everything”.
Burnout is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-12-2008, 10:09 AM   #8
troppo
Mr old phart

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

The bright spot on the top left mentioned is Aristarchus crater and it's brightness has been a source of contention among scientists for years due to it's aparent changes in brightness.

Some conspiracy theorists claim it is the site of a secret moon base and houses a nuclear fusion reactor similar to the Z-machine developed by Sandia laboratories and uses helium 3 isotope for fuel. Helium 3 is extremely rare on earth but the moon is covered with it. Take that as you will...

BA GT-P Blueprint
troppo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-12-2008, 10:28 AM   #9
dandandandan

Great pics!
Was expecting to see some butt cheeks haha.

Also on the note of space and interests on astronomy, I studied physics and quantum mechanics and the like just purely for my fascination with space.

Hoping to get one of those big celestar telescopes with the databases of celestial objects this christmas.

Sorry to get off topic sorta.

BA MKII XR6T, Vixen, Leather, Sunroof.
Stock as a rock... Till after xmas :evil3:
dandandandan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-12-2008, 11:46 AM   #10
XR6-VCT-2000
Fantastic Plastic

Rodp......Hmmmm, ok, but I'm with 'Burnedout' on this one , I recon it's a huge turkeys nest too ) lol. I guess I've been blind all my life and now I can see ....hehehehehe.

I've heard stuff in the past that troppo mentioned about that helium powered reactor on the moon, I didn't know it was supposably that spot though, thats if it's real ? .

I hope you get your christmas wish dandandandan ! .

Cheers.

Old 11-12-2008, 11:50 AM   #11
jonk

Gridkeeper on YouTube does some really close filming of the moon.
jonk is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-12-2008, 01:03 PM   #12
Biggav
On the search for cubes..

thats not the moon its the death star

Current Projects
ED SOHC 3v 5.4 Cammed 5.4 3V Garage Ornament Project
Project Brimstone XE Wagon Phase 6 powered by Coyote

Long Gone Projects
EA Falcon SOHC 4.0 237rwhp
BA 3V 'The Taxi' DJR320 Kit, G6ET Wheels, Lunati Voodoo Cams 320rwhp
Biggav is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-12-2008, 01:08 PM   #13
troppo
Mr old phart

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR6-VCT-2000
I've heard stuff in the past that troppo mentioned about that helium powered reactor on the moon, I didn't know it was supposably that spot though, thats if it's real ?
I've always been interested in the unexplained/mysterious especially space stuff because it can't easily be confirmed or denied by a simple visit to the site. That particular crater has been known as an oddity for some time for it's documented changes in brightness and colour (it sometimes appears blue). Even Armstrong and Aldrin made comments that it seemed significantly brighter than the rest of the moon's surface during their visit.

Officially, the explanation for the brightness is that crater contains material that is more reflective than the rest of the moon's surface and the variations is brightness are due to changing angles of incidence and refelection of sunshine, keeping in mind that relative to the sun, there is no dark side. Here on earth, we only ever see one side of the moon but if it were possible to be on the sun, you would get to see all of it. This does not explain the changes in colour, however. Also, officially, a nuclear fusion reactor does not exist, all existing reactors are fission.

Unofficially, the Z-machine is supposed to be a fusion reactor fuelled by Helium 3 and Sandia is supposedly associated with a number of top-secret projects on behalf of the US Government. I've posted a link to it here before and the electrical arcing during operation gives it a blueish glow.

Anyone wanting to look into it more, try this link:Blue glow from aristarchus crater and pic of Z machine

BA GT-P Blueprint
Old 11-12-2008, 01:38 PM   #14
Rodp
Regular Schmuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by troppo
Anyone wanting to look into it more, try this link:Blue glow from aristarchus crater and pic of Z machine
Thanks for the link. This is all news to me, hadn't heard any of these conspiracy theories.

Obviously these crackpots are in the 'we did land on the moon' camp. :P
Old 11-12-2008, 01:42 PM   #15
troppo
Mr old phart

Yep, not only did we land on the moon, we apparently did it in the 50's or early 60's.
Not sure if John Lear (son of the man who invented the Lear jet) has his own website these days, but for a man who still holds aviation records himself and appears sane, he sure has got some 'out there' ideas. :

Oh and I should correct my earlier mistake: the Z-machine uses heavy hydrogen (H3 or dueterium) for fuel, helium 3 is the waste product.

BA GT-P Blueprint
Old 11-12-2008, 02:05 PM   #16
Peuty
Afterburner + skids =
Donating Member1

Now, I'm no scientist, but why put one of these things on the moon? If no-one is up there to check on it and stuff, what's the benefit?

Oo\===/oO
Peuty is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-12-2008, 02:35 PM   #17
troppo
Mr old phart

Naturally occuring deuterium is non-existant here on earth, so making the fuel to run a z-machine would require huge amounts of energy before you start, defeating the purpose somewhat. the moon however is literally covered with naturally occuring deuterium, so all you'd really need would be a mining/harvesting operation to run one up there.

So if you had some secret projects on the go that required shedloads of energy to complete and a few hundred trillion dollars for your expense account, it would be more feasible to move your operation close to the fuel than to bring the fuel to the operation...and the fuel itself is free.

And the security of being well away from prying eyes and the fact that it's extremely unlikely that any do-gooders could sneak in unnoticed is a bonus! :dr_Evil:

BA GT-P Blueprint
Old 11-12-2008, 04:02 PM   #18
XR6_661
Cane Farmer

Wow. Consipracy theories and the moon! Awesome.

Love this kinda stuff!

2009 FG XR6 - Black.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex
I couldn't give a crap how many are in their family, what gay passtimes they paticipate in, or whether they have a cat, dog or a freaken fish.

Old 11-12-2008, 06:55 PM   #19
Rodp
Regular Schmuck

Quote:
Naturally occuring deuterium is non-existant here on earth, so making the fuel to run a z-machine would require huge amounts of energy before you start, defeating the purpose somewhat. the moon however is literally covered with naturally occuring deuterium, so all you'd really need would be a mining/harvesting operation to run one up there.

So if you had some secret projects on the go that required shedloads of energy to complete and a few hundred trillion dollars for your expense account, it would be more feasible to move your operation close to the fuel than to bring the fuel to the operation...and the fuel itself is free.

And the security of being well away from prying eyes and the fact that it's extremely unlikely that any do-gooders could sneak in unnoticed is a bonus! :dr_Evil:
Well, that's the thing.

Build a reactor on the moon to... err, power the reactor on the moon. :

Though, I did watch a doco not long ago where they were testing the feasability of putting solar panels in orbit, using a concentrator on the panels and beaming the storged energy down to Earth via microwave. They were getting magnitudes more stored energy than Earth bound solar panels and the beaming of that energy via microwave was proven feasable with more study. So it actually looks like a viable alternative energy source... for 2040.
Old 11-12-2008, 07:55 PM   #20
Windsor220
Now Fordless

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR6_661
My theory is each solar system is a basic atomic structure.
Yeah I've had that theory before. The size of the object we are of would be unfathomable.
Windsor220 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-12-2008, 09:25 PM   #21
troppo
Mr old phart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodp
Build a reactor on the moon to... err, power the reactor on the moon. :
Lol, nope you missed the point. You build a reactor on the moon so you can build and power your Death Star without anyone knowing, hence the :dr_Evil:

Seriously though, that doco sounds interesting, I wish I'd caught that one. Solar panels in orbit makes a lot of sense as the atmosphere does a great job of filtering radiation, aka energy. The biggest hurdle there would be, as you say, transporting the energy back to the surface, as well as the atmosphere filtering the microwaves to a degree. Transportability of energy is the single biggest reason why we are so reliant on oil as an energy source.

BA GT-P Blueprint
Old 12-12-2008, 12:23 AM   #22
Thornie
Off smelting

hrm if it were turned up the other way, it would most certainly resemble the death star.
Thornie is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-12-2008, 12:43 AM   #23
DoreSlamR
Fiat POWAAH!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaTTuS
hrm if it were turned up the other way, it would most certainly resemble the death star.
Deathstar?

Like this one?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mimas_(moon)

Spooky! :
Old 12-12-2008, 08:34 PM   #24
Rodp
Regular Schmuck

Quote:
Lol, nope you missed the point. You build a reactor on the moon so you can build and power your Death Star without anyone knowing, hence the :dr_Evil:

Seriously though, that doco sounds interesting, I wish I'd caught that one. Solar panels in orbit makes a lot of sense as the atmosphere does a great job of filtering radiation, aka energy. The biggest hurdle there would be, as you say, transporting the energy back to the surface, as well as the atmosphere filtering the microwaves to a degree. Transportability of energy is the single biggest reason why we are so reliant on oil as an energy source.
Ah, only skimmed the crackpot website, didn't realise that the reactor was powering a deathstar.

It was a torrent I downloaded in the last month or two. It was fascinating and I just tried to find it on mininova but I can't be sure which one it was. I'm sure it was a Discovery show doco and it was essentially the viability of solar panels above our atmosphere, a lens that was developed to concentrate the suns beam on the solar panel and the ability to beam the resultant energy via microwave to a station on Earth.

The original link was from EZTV but I'm not sure how far their archives go back on shows that are 1 off docos.
Old 13-12-2008, 07:01 AM   #25
XR6-VCT-2000
Fantastic Plastic

OH MY GOD ! , latest update pics of the moon !. Looks like it is the DeathStar, Photo of a Intergalatic war around the moon (Deathstar) ..lol

Old 13-12-2008, 08:55 AM   #26
bob^
LPS

How does the universe go on for ever? If it stops somewhere, what's on the other side of the "wall"?
Let that do your head in for a while
bob^ is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-12-2008, 09:47 AM   #27
XR6_661
Cane Farmer

That does my head in on a regular basis! And the thing is, there is thousands, possibly millions of other planets out there, it is 100% certain if you ask me, that there is a number of planets out there with life such as ours on it.

Wonder if they have Fords =P

2009 FG XR6 - Black.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex

Old 13-12-2008, 05:33 PM   #28
Rodp
Regular Schmuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob^
How does the universe go on for ever? If it stops somewhere, what's on the other side of the "wall"?
Let that do your head in for a while
You want your head done in?

Uni implies singular. Those at the tip of the arrow when it comes to astrophysics are now pushing the name Multiverse, implying many universes (or is that universi)

Or just look at the numbers in our universe.

~150 billion galaxies, each galaxy contains ~400 billion stars. I believe it equates to more stars in the universe than grains of sand on Earth.

Our solar system contains 87 objects that are larger than 400km in diameter... so to those that suggest we're the only life in our universe obviously have a very simple view of where we live.
Old 13-12-2008, 05:43 PM   #29
Rodp
Regular Schmuck

Quote:
That does my head in on a regular basis! And the thing is, there is thousands, possibly millions of other planets out there, it is 100% certain if you ask me, that there is a number of planets out there with life such as ours on it.
Thousands or millions?

We'll disregard Pluto as a planet and say there's 8 planets in our solar system. If we were to make a guess and say that the average amount of planets that orbit a star is 4, you could summise that there are;

240000000000000000000000 planets in the universe.

Last time I bothered to look, we had named (most of them with BS letters and numbers) ~250 planets outside our solar system.
Old 13-12-2008, 09:19 PM   #30
SM1DY
LIKE A BOSS 351

Quote:
My theory is each solar system is a basic atomic structure. And we are part of something so big we can't even imagine. So for all we know, we could be one tiny atom that helps make up something dead simple like a grain of sand.

Sort of like what happens at the end of 'MIB' (men in black).
SM1DY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post