Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Mondeo

Old 22-11-2018, 07:21 AM   #1
NZ XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Oil change

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivorya View Post
Also, the engine oil ? has me digging about. On this site https://online.lubrizol.com/relperftool/pc.html It shows the ford spec -913-D to have a Min T(Total Base Number) >10.
Now, Nulon site suggests using the FE formula https://www.nulon.com.au/products/fu...ion-engine-oil BUT it's Min T is 7.9.
Now, if i was using this oil, something went wrong with the engine, they tested the oil, i'm in the poop house.
Interestingly, Penrite suggests this https://www.penriteoil.com.au/applic...thetic-5w-30#/ which has a MIN T of 10.1.

So, how important is this value?
Maybe you should ask Nulon why the oil appears not to meet the Ford spec when it claims to do so on the label?

I doubt it matters though. The minimum for C3 is 6.
Old 12-11-2018, 12:40 PM   #2
cobrin
Challenge Accepted!

You know what, the more I look the more I'm inclined to think that the oils suggested are suitable A5/B5 as they've changed to keep with the ever changing requirements and emissions. But that doesn't convince me to change from ACEA C specs.

Penrite/Valvoline/Nulon offer A5/B5 and they range from full SAPS (penrite with high zinc for christ sake) which were not suitable. Valvoline has 1.09% SAPS where Low SAPS ACEA C1/C4 has 0.05%.

I've just chosen 07-09 Mondeo tdci on Nulons site (rather than '09-10) and it suggests Nulon C2-Mid SAPS LoL. '09-10 suggestion is A5/B5 go figure...

Penrite for an '07-09 suggests Enviro+ C3 also Mid SAPS @ 0.5%.

Perhaps you can and I can't use A5/B5. I've used Nulon for the last 100K kms so may as well keep using it, it is correct for me.

I accept oil requirements change, updated and so on, keeping on top of it is another story. I'm leaning towards ACEA C grades for DPF's and can't see myself changing tbh.
Old 15-11-2018, 05:55 AM   #3
NZ XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The car hardly ever does a DPF Regen these days with C3 oils. To be fair, I think using Ultimate diesel also helps.

The only negative really is price, but $20 extra for oil is nothing compared to what a DPF problem could cost!
Old 22-11-2018, 02:50 AM   #4
cobrin
Challenge Accepted!

I don't assume all DPF's are the same because I'm not talking about 'every' dpf only my own, which is why it's not totally incorrect. It's also not the full story because I'm not addressing points other than oil and dpf longevity, everything else is outside the scope of what I wanted to get into. Context is key.

I'd have thought my MB would have a high volume dpf over high throughput but I couldn't say with 100% certainty. The main reason why I'm thinking this is because the dpf is quite long and high throughput dpf's are often short stubby but that in itself isn't foolproof. If you've ever bought a a highflow cat you'll see it's often a short jobby. I know mine Pre'10 is made from Silicon Carbide but that's about it.

As for Min T I don't know why you're looking at that, that's linked to oil life/longevity under harsh operating conditions, higher the figure (diesel 10–15 mg KOH/g) the longer the service interval.

I'm keeping to low SAPS and aren't going to over think it.
Old 22-11-2018, 12:18 PM   #5
ivorya
Mad Scientist!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobrin View Post

As for Min T I don't know why you're looking at that, that's linked to oil life/longevity under harsh operating conditions, higher the figure (diesel 10–15 mg KOH/g) the longer the service interval.

I'm keeping to low SAPS and aren't going to over think it.
Being a scientific person, I understand what specifications are and find in interesting that an oil company can state that it meets or exceeds the specs when it doesn't. It fails only one part but that potentially can cost you Ina fight against the car company.
I don't like complications, I just like all the information to make an educated decision. I've been using C3 in my diesel since reading this great thread.
ivorya is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-11-2018, 03:30 PM   #6
rondeo
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The Ford specified oil service interval is 15000km.

Maybe they reckon people will forget or delay to 20000km, which is when the service oil reminder pops up. So specifying TBN of 10 might cover that.

But if you change the oil at 10000km then maybe not so critical? Nulon C3 long life is 7.8.
rondeo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-11-2018, 03:54 PM   #7
NZ XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by rondeo View Post
The Ford specified oil service interval is 15000km.

Maybe they reckon people will forget or delay to 20000km, which is when the service oil reminder pops up. So specifying TBN of 10 might cover that.

But if you change the oil at 10000km then maybe not so critical? Nulon C3 long life is 7.8.
Ford specify 15,000 km for the Mondeo in Australia only - it is 20,000 km in other countries. I've never seen an explanation for the difference.

So 7.5 should be OK for Oz conditions?
Old 22-11-2018, 04:07 PM   #8
cobrin
Challenge Accepted!

Quote:
I've never seen an explanation for the difference.
I hear ya, I always thought it's a regional thing, so climate makes a difference.
Old 21-02-2019, 07:29 PM   #9
stefcio007
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I've done about 5k km on the C4 spec oil and noticed that the DPF seems to get clogged quicker, still does a regen fine.

I haven't used BP for a long time now since I started filling up at Costco. Is the fuel there not as good? (fuel economy is the same).
stefcio007 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-02-2019, 08:03 PM   #10
bundybear75

Quote:
Originally Posted by stefcio007 View Post
I've done about 5k km on the C4 spec oil and noticed that the DPF seems to get clogged quicker, still does a regen fine.

I haven't used BP for a long time now since I started filling up at Costco. Is the fuel there not as good? (fuel economy is the same).
Costco uses Mobil fuel, similar to 7 Eleven and some Metro servos.

I use almost exclusively Mobil fuel, both from 7 Eleven and also from a Mobil outlet near home. I find that my Mondeo does a burn approx every 120-150km.

I found that I don't get as far when using BP diesel, I'm not sure if this is because I cannot get as much in when refilling (it foams up more) or if it is the fuel quality. Mobil fuel has an anti-foaming agent in it.
2010 Peugeot 308 HDi SW - Shaggin Wagon II
2016 VDJ200R Landcruiser GX Wagon - TTD V8 Power !
2017 Toyota RAV4 GX Wagon - Shopping trolley - Gone
2022 Volvo XC40 T4 Inscription - Shopping trolley II
2002 BMW R1150GS
bundybear75 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-06-2019, 08:55 PM   #11
stefcio007
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

At 10,129 km on this oil (C4) and the car reminds me to change the oil.

I do mostly freeway driving.

Seems a bit early?
Old 20-06-2019, 09:01 PM   #12
bundybear75

Quote:
Originally Posted by stefcio007 View Post
At 10,129 km on this oil (C4) and the car reminds me to change the oil.

I do mostly freeway driving.

Seems a bit early?
Most probably the service reset wasn't done at the last service?

It alarms at 20,000km I believe.

Whilst car is off, hold down the brake and the accelerator and turn the key to on (DON'T START IT). Continue to hold down. The HMI will state "Service reminder reset in progress" or something like that, and approx 30 seconds later will change to "Service reminder has been reset" or similar.

This reminds me, I must do mine when I finish work - I changed the oil & filter on Tuesday.....
2010 Peugeot 308 HDi SW - Shaggin Wagon II
2016 VDJ200R Landcruiser GX Wagon - TTD V8 Power !
2017 Toyota RAV4 GX Wagon - Shopping trolley - Gone
2022 Volvo XC40 T4 Inscription - Shopping trolley II
2002 BMW R1150GS
bundybear75 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-06-2019, 09:11 PM   #13
stefcio007
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by bundybear75 View Post
Most probably the service reset wasn't done at the last service?

It alarms at 20,000km I believe.

Whilst car is off, hold down the brake and the accelerator and turn the key to on (DON'T START IT). Continue to hold down. The HMI will state "Service reminder reset in progress" or something like that, and approx 30 seconds later will change to "Service reminder has been reset" or similar.

This reminds me, I must do mine when I finish work - I changed the oil & filter on Tuesday.....
I remember doing the reset at one point because soon after I changed the oil it showed up. Before that I didn't even know it was a thing.

I've been very busy lately but I'd like to change it before 15k km. At least before it gets too cold, haha.