Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Cougar and Probe

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 25-09-2008, 10:54 PM   #1
XR5-Boy
You mad, bro?

Default My kitty is on the brink of death

So, here's the story so far...

Cruising along in my car coming home from soccer one night, and the revs drop then come up again. Alarm light and most of the instrument cluster flickers off and on. I think hmm, strange. I pull up to the lights and she almost dies on me. Revs drop, lights flicker on and off. Then, kicks back in and all good. Rang the mechanic and told him what had happend and he immediatly said the alternator is prob the main cause.

So, i take her up to the mechanic (mind you, on the trip there, she behaved herself). Get and phone call from him saying the copper where the brushes contact is non-existant, hence the drop outs. I go fair enough, sort it out. Now, as many of u know, parts for our cars are in short supply/not in the country at all. So another alterantor was purchased and the internals were fitted into mine. 500 bucks later she's back on the road (labour and rebuild cost. Trust me, the labour to get that thing out is ridiculous!).

About 10 mins into my trip on the way home, i pull off the freeway and she dies. starts back up fine and i take off. 100 meters upt he road, she begins to dorp out again and jumps all over the place so i pull over to the side and she dies. I called him up and told him what had happened. I managed to get it home and it's going back in on monday. So yet again, i'm without a car.

Can anyone think of what might be the cause? Sparks or Coil maybe? Battery is brand new (5 months old?).

Cheers

George

SFS 2007 Best Cougar, SFS 2010/2011 Best Focus XR5
XR5-Boy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post