Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Focus

Old 07-05-2005, 10:49 PM   #1
b2tf
not here much anymore

Default Spotted - New Focus!

Was down in Albury today and spotted a new Focus!

Looked to be a 5dr Hatch in Silver, Im unsure of what model but it had Vic plates so it's safe to assume it was probably a testing vehicle or something.

Couldnt get close enough to tell the driver to pull over so i could have a look, but from what i could tell they are a LOT different to the current one in their styling.

edit: check the bottom of this thread......

Last edited by b2tf; 09-05-2005 at 09:49 PM.
b2tf is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-05-2005, 10:10 AM   #2
WASACL
Phat-Euro

So good or bad b2tf?

Russ
Old 08-05-2005, 06:54 PM   #3
murcod
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

They must be getting released soon as I received the new brochure in the mail from Ford last week. They're possibly holding off until stocks of the old model are sold?

They are lot more upmarket looking - especially the interior. The Ghia sedan even has dual climate control aircon! Both passenger and driver can set their own temp.... Same engine across the board- 107kW 2 litre. 17"wheels on the Zetec hatch; standard leather interior on the Ghia sedan....

It would be interesting to know what the pricing will be?
Old 08-05-2005, 07:25 PM   #4
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Interesting I saw a zetec at Torqauy yesterday. It looks hot as!
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Polyal is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-05-2005, 07:31 PM   #5
galaxy xr8
Giddy up.

The new Focus is such a great looking little vehicle, I would love to get a Zetec 5dr hatch with a bodykit in Silver.
galaxy xr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-05-2005, 08:35 PM   #6
b2tf
not here much anymore

Ok, maybe i should tell the full story now that the cruise in Melbourne has happened.Anybody who went to it will probably have cottoned onto why i started this thread anyway! :hihi:.

I was actually in Albury to meet Matt (Zetec) who brought the new Focus up from Melbourne on a test run.

Went for a drive in it and had a really good look at it, and it is indeed a very impressive vehicle! Was a 5dr Zetec Manual, and while I didnt actually drive it, it looks and feels like a very smooth, easy to drive car.

The interior is really nice, to be honest when i first saw it I thought it was very Holden Astra-ish, but its a real joy to be in. Ample room and comfy seats too!

Exterior is going to be the main point of contention I think, you will most likely either love it or hate it. Personally I dont like it as much as the current (LR) model, but that said it is by no means an 'ugly' car. It looks a lot better in person than it does in pictures.
Between the 2 of us Matt and I must have taken about 100 photos of both my Focus and the new one, and there are some good comparison shots which will show you the difference between old and new. However, Ill wait until Matt gets the ok from his work before I post any up.

All in all its a VERY impressive car, very different but you can still tell what it is if you know what to look for. I wont be updating just yet mainly because ive not long got mine, but Id certainly be interested in a new model when the time comes to let the current machine go.

Last edited by b2tf; 09-05-2005 at 10:56 PM.
Old 09-05-2005, 09:12 PM   #7
zetec
Zoom Zoom

Was a good drive up, here are some pics!! Great meeting you Austin even if it was for a short moment! Your car looked fantastic on the 17's and thanks for making me feel welcome! Look forward to catching up again one day!!

Last edited by zetec; 09-05-2005 at 10:58 PM.
zetec is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-05-2005, 10:55 PM   #8
zetec
Zoom Zoom

Old 09-05-2005, 10:57 PM   #9
zetec
Zoom Zoom

And a few from the trip back!!!! Fantastic headlights on that car too, the high beams pretty much light up the surface of the moon!!!!!

Old 10-05-2005, 12:30 AM   #10
Timmeh
Fairmont Ghia

Great photos, car looks good, still undecided which I prefer, but the exterior styling of the new one I do like.

Great to drive one before its release!

Tim!
Timmeh is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-05-2005, 12:36 AM   #11
zetec
Zoom Zoom

Amen to that! It's not a final customer version so I am not going to go into any detail about the drive as it is an evaluation unit, short of saying that it's smoother than anything I've ever driven and I can't wait to see how the magazines rate it (I can pretty much predict their every single word too!!)
Old 10-05-2005, 12:53 AM   #12
Teki04
Clio 182 CUP!

OMG!!!!!!!! That is a HOT looking Focus!!!!!! damn, those pics are making me want one.... maybe i should start saving.....

'In fact, so good is the Clio 182 with the Cup chassis set-up that I feel moved to make a bold statement - I think it's the best hot hatch ever built.' (EVO Jan 04)
Teki04 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-05-2005, 01:05 AM   #13
Danny
GT4.

Hmmm, those Clear Guard blinkers look rather familiar.......

Its pretty sexy, donno about the rear end profile though, looks like someones highlighted the rear end of the old model focus on Photoshop and pressed "stretch"

Overall, its gorgeous, Shame about the lack of interior pics, the gauges look very Fiesta'ry.

Big fan really, thanks for the pics!

-Dan
Danny is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-05-2005, 01:44 PM   #14
b2tf
not here much anymore

Danny I have some pics of the interior, i will get the ok from Matt before i post them up.
Old 10-05-2005, 01:45 PM   #15
zetec
Zoom Zoom

Click on the link in my sig and search through the list, have CL, Ghia and Zetec interior and exterior pics from Melbourne Motorshow.

Post away Aust!!!
Old 10-05-2005, 02:24 PM   #16
Fast Eddie
Motorsport Guru

Zetec,

The slope of the tailgate is quite dramatic between MkI and MkII. BTW are you able to find out if the hand-controls i.e. the accelerater/brakes for disabled drivers is able to be transferred between the MkI and MkII models. Or does the Ford contracter have to design and fabricate a new hand control??

I'm saving hard to get a MkII.
Fast Eddie is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-05-2005, 02:33 PM   #17
b2tf
not here much anymore

These are the best interior shots i got, theyre still not that great though. As said - have a look in Zetec's signature for the link to the Motor Show pics.

The stereo layout etc looks really Astra-ish when you first see it, but it is a great layout that works really well. The chrome highlights around the aircon vents are also a nice little touch. Power windows all round with one-shot down from the drivers side on all of them.
Note also that there is now a centre console between the seats - something i miss terribly in my LR. However, its not quite perfect because it can be awkward to operate the handbrake with it there. I still like it though - also allows for aircon vents to go into the rear seat.
Just some other general pics:

Last edited by b2tf; 10-05-2005 at 02:37 PM.
Old 10-05-2005, 07:03 PM   #18
Danny
GT4.

I saw a truckload of New foci on the way back from Geelong today.... Nice.....
Danny is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-05-2005, 07:21 PM   #19
murcod
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

thanks for posting the pics!

Anyone know what sort of prices they're going to be selling for???
Old 10-05-2005, 07:30 PM   #20
galaxy xr8
Giddy up.

Oh yeah I want one, is there any cup holder's, I noticed a can in the doortrim?????.
Old 10-05-2005, 08:37 PM   #21
b2tf
not here much anymore

There are cupholders, theyre similar to BA ones in that you touch a panel on the centre console there and it flicks up to reveal cupholders.
Old 10-05-2005, 09:21 PM   #22
galaxy xr8
Giddy up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by back2thefutura
There are cupholders, theyre similar to BA ones in that you touch a panel on the centre console there and it flicks up to reveal cupholders.
That's good we cant live without them.
Old 10-05-2005, 11:30 PM   #23
Teki04
Clio 182 CUP!

Lets hope the passenger doesnt accidently push the handbrake... Not very good ergonomics with that....

'In fact, so good is the Clio 182 with the Cup chassis set-up that I feel moved to make a bold statement - I think it's the best hot hatch ever built.' (EVO Jan 04)
Old 10-05-2005, 11:34 PM   #24
b2tf
not here much anymore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teki04
Lets hope the passenger doesnt accidently push the handbrake... Not very good ergonomics with that....
Yeha its hard to decide though, I think you'd actually run more risk of hitting it if it were on the drivers side because it would be so close to the seat. I think it would just be a matter of getting used to it.
Old 11-05-2005, 12:09 AM   #25
zetec
Zoom Zoom

Pricing is yet to be released on all but the base CL - $20,990 ( Manual) INCLUDING Twin Airbags, power front windows and Aircon, as opposed to the previous CL price of $22,660 at launch once air was included, no windows, no passenger bag. It has come a LONG way!!! Cheaper and better optioned, bigger, FAR more powerful, safer, quieter. FAR more gear for much less moolah. All we've been told is this is the theme for the range and that prices for each model should be cheaper than the model they replace. That in itself is amazing! Every model is far superior and better optioned yet cheaper!! Can't wait till they do finally release pricing!

As for the Disabled driver's kit Eddie, I imagine they will probably develop one or have one available if they have on all models up until now including Mk I and then BA Falcon etc. Here's hoping!! We should know within the next few months.

The stereo CRANKS seriously hard and is a sweet unit, now upgraded to 6 speakers including A-pillar splits.

Handbrake takes getting used to but would it be a Focus if it didn't have something to get used to?!!! That would make it a Toyota if everything was easy and boring... yawn.

Interior comfort and ergonomics are first class, I did over 1,000km in 2 days including 700km highway and it is comfortable, you feel fresh after a long drive, exceptionally good under thigh support which I liked, softer seats, great centre armrest (can't believe I just said that) and a nice wheel. Instruments are clear and easy to read, trip computer is brilliant, cruise control is simply magical and everything is both easy to reach and simple to use. VERY user friendly.

The manual gearchange is siloky smooth, so easy and light, nice stumpy short throw shifter, the clutch is pefect, nice and light with enough feel, brakes are awesome, there's heaps of nice small touches everywhere. It's a far superior vehicle, but when I jumped back into my Mk I expecting it to be a dog box, it held it's head high. Amazingly even with the zorst and air filter, it feels very nose heavy and sluggish, have to rev it to get it going... the Mk II does everything so effortlessly, pulls like a freight train and does it so happily every time.

I love my MkI and I feel almost like I could own both side by side and they're 2 totally different vehicles in some ways, but the genetics deep down is still there and I like, no, I LOVE what Ford have done with the New model. I'll still try and run rings around it in my Mk I but now that it's lowered and has sticky tyres it's naturally going to handle better. Just lookout when someone lowers a Mk II. Power to burn, refinement aplenty and all in style with space to spare. Got me hooked! So much so that I've got a Ghia sedan this weekend!!!! Doing another 1,000km. Aaaah the disadvantages of having to work for a living really are taking their toll... :evilking:

Will report (WITH pics) on the drive and comfort of the luxo-barge next week!!

Check out the Ford Press release at http://www.ford.com.au/inside_ford/p...ile=foa484.htm

Last edited by zetec; 11-05-2005 at 12:17 AM.
zetec is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-05-2005, 12:28 AM   #26
Mick K.

Sounds great - any news on the TDCi coming to Aus to join Pug / VW / Audi and other Euro diesels. Holden are apparently seriously considering bringing diesel Astras and Vectras.

My next car (Apr '06) is looking at this stage like a Golf TDi, but a Focus TDCi would be worth a try if it were available.

MK
Mick K. is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-05-2005, 02:39 PM   #27
b2tf
not here much anymore

Very nice indeed, will be interesting to read about the Ghia as it seems a real waste of time in the MkI lineup (ive never ever seen one driving around).
Old 11-05-2005, 03:27 PM   #28
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

So roughly how much was the old Zetec on the road??
Smoke Pursuit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-05-2005, 07:47 PM   #29
Teki04
Clio 182 CUP!

DAMNIT i would KILL for your job!!!!.... also, the handbrake like that on the megane would be pretty funky.... airplane style! hahaha. Also, cheaper pricing... would that mean greater discounts on current stock and more depreciation for the MK1? If so, im up for a ZetecR Focus MK1... On another note, although most said the power to weight ratio was worse (pretty sure thats what i heard) it sounds like Matt says it goes even better. Just another example how newer cars may not have more power, but still feel and go hard! Definetly cant wait to get my licence back so i can go test drive one!

I LOVE the front of the Zetec, and the back looks pretty good. It seems like an evolutionary change, not something in the complete opposite direction. But like some have commented, its almost gone backwards in being funky and out there. It appeals to more people, but doesnt scream "Look AT me!".... that might all change when the ST comes out though... that would be a hoot!

But yea, the interior is definetely a highlight! I personally love the look.... very upper class!!!

Cheers for the post matt! Also, dont get too tired on the weekend after the drive.... we want pics ASAP!!! lol

Old 11-05-2005, 08:56 PM   #30
b2tf
not here much anymore

I dont mean to sound like a know it all (im certainly not!), but from what i experienced in the new model it certainly goes a LOT better than MkI. That said, Mark I goes just fine but this new engine is a real treat.

I dare say you would be correct in thinking current Foci will be reduced, I know they stopped taking orders a while back for them and they would be reduced to stock on hand.