Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 11-11-2011, 02:47 PM   #571
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Who works in the mines and what doing

^^^^^ that is mad ****........
pottery beige is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-11-2011, 02:55 PM   #572
Jestr75
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR6menace
Yep .. i know the guy that was supposed to be operating the Manitowok that day..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f5H98...layer_embedded

*Warning* language...

I was there that day. You can see me in the video left hand side running. Totally shat myself. Still get a chill down my spine watching it.

When you are dead, You don't know that you are dead
Only those around you know you are dead.
It's the same when you are STUPID!!!
Jestr75 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 11-11-2011, 03:14 PM   #573
Road Games

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Replacement. 

A couple of safety videos.. Can't hurt can it ?

Dozer first..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6KejB...eature=related

and Rear Dump.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IAN6X...feature=relmfu
Road Games is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-11-2011, 04:22 PM   #574
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

nasty....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Z9Cm92vfQA
Old 11-11-2011, 04:53 PM   #575
Road Games

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Replacement. 

Was witness to something very similar at Hanson ... A bucket tooth went through a 90 tonne Symonds crusher wedging the mantle and burning off the belts before the motor finally tripped out MTR.

I cannot believe the force that thing shot out of there once we were finished with the lance !!!! The crusher SHOULD have had the top dis-mantled.

It was a wonder none of us were killed , a magnet was placed over the belt the next day ...
Old 11-11-2011, 10:19 PM   #576
v gate

so what was the deal with the lamsons crane. cranes dont just turn around and say im not doing this anymore for no reason.
v gate is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-11-2011, 10:58 PM   #577
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Asking this for a family member, do any companies hire spray painters? I figure they dont care to much about presentation but thought it was worth the question.
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Polyal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-11-2011, 11:24 PM   #578
Road Games

Quote:
Originally Posted by v gate
so what was the deal with the lamsons crane. cranes dont just turn around and say im not doing this anymore for no reason.
Something exploded around the 30 sec mark from memory , i don't know how much a dragline boom weighs but the drum brake on the hoist rope must have cried enough ...
Old 11-11-2011, 11:55 PM   #579
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polyal
Asking this for a family member, do any companies hire spray painters? I figure they dont care to much about presentation but thought it was worth the question.
these guys hire up Gove NT for industrial spray painters / sand blasters..

http://www.transpacific.com.au/conte...available.aspx
Old 12-11-2011, 02:06 PM   #580
Jestr75
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by v gate

I believe the "official" finding after the investigation was operator error.
I am not totally conviced about that.

Old 12-11-2011, 02:08 PM   #581
Jestr75
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Something exploded around the 30 sec mark from memory , i don't know how much a dragline boom weighs but the drum brake on the hoist rope must have cried enough ...

From memory the boom weighed in around 180 tonne. The crane was rigged up to lift 350 tonne. It held that weight for a few hours before they started to lower it to the ground.

Old 14-11-2011, 11:24 AM   #582
Combat Wombat

Is anyone in here a Safety Professional? I can't seem to find my study notes on Heavy Industry Safety Investigation Concepts. If anyone has some or can point me in the right direction on where I can find them online.

I want to try and rehash before I go for my interview on Wednesday.
  Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-11-2011, 11:46 AM   #583
Road Games

Try http://www.ohsa.com.au/

HTH.
Old 14-11-2011, 11:56 AM   #584
bossgtp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil
'I have a good mate up there on a jumbo, another Ford nut. You would know him, I dare say, has a EL GT.'

You cant miss old Dale Ford man to the core bloody nice car he has too, wasn't so great when he crashed it though. Been in perth street car and some other magazines I think.
bossgtp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-11-2011, 06:32 PM   #585
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Yep .. i know the guy that was supposed to be operating the Manitowok that day..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f5H98...layer_embedded

*Warning* language...
How the hell did that happen?
Franco Cozzo is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-11-2011, 06:52 PM   #586
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by pottery beige
these guys hire up Gove NT for industrial spray painters / sand blasters..

http://www.transpacific.com.au/conte...available.aspx
Cheers mate, I owe you a PM too
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Polyal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-11-2011, 10:17 AM   #587
buggerlugs
If it ain't broke........
Donating Member1

http://www.news.com.au/business/rush...-1226199658653
Old 19-11-2011, 10:35 AM   #588
Stazza_Brendan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Still waiting for contract. Got email late yesterday arvo saying they should be sent Monday but im not holding my breath. They have also changed the conditions. gone from 12 month contract to 6 months with view to permanent.
ZF - Optioned interior - Hardlid - Rapidsystems V4.5 kit - GTX3576R - Crow Cams Valve springs - 1000cc KPM injectors - 20" MC Racing Wheels - DashDaq/Cobalt Gauges - 4in dump/3.5in exhaust system - Shockworks Coilovers - 30mm Swaybar - Shockworks 4pot 355mm front brakes - GT R-spec rear brakes
CPV Tuned to 340rwkw
Stazza_Brendan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-11-2011, 12:35 AM   #589
Combat Wombat

Quote:
Originally Posted by buggerlugs
I read this in the Courier Mail yesterday. I feel sorry for the residents in said mining towns. Rent wise etc. The govt and mining companys should band together and build a **** tin load more "camps" hopefully reduce the rent prices and help the locals.

I.e Moranbah - QLD's most expensive town. There is not one house under $1200 per week currently on the below link. Also to buy you are looking at 500k+ for a house that would normally be $3-400k

http://www.realestate.com.au/listsea...&search=search
Old 21-11-2011, 11:00 AM   #590
DJR-351
I am Groot
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Combat Wombat
I read this in the Courier Mail yesterday. I feel sorry for the residents in said mining towns. Rent wise etc. The govt and mining companys should band together and build a **** tin load more "camps" hopefully reduce the rent prices and help the locals.

I.e Moranbah - QLD's most expensive town. There is not one house under $1200 per week currently on the below link. Also to buy you are looking at 500k+ for a house that would normally be $3-400k

I bought this place off BHP in 1989, when i lived in Newman WA, for $26k through their home ownership plan, i sold it back to them when i left 18 months later for $42k. It is a cyclone proof fibro/steel construction, 3 bed 1 bath, with all the visual appeal of a pile of dog poo....

Since i left all these houses have gone private (BHP no longer control them) which of course means they are now subject to the whims of normal realestate demands....

Two years ago my youngest brother, who still lives in Newman, sent me a realestate for sale link for the same house with an asking price of $480K, it sold for $460k, a similar one further up the street sold for $550k....

This is the latest pic of the place from google, the only differance i can see from when i had the place is it had an F350 and a Landcruiser ute parked there, it looks exactly the same as when i left it right down to the letterbox....

"Those were the days when the cars were cars, they weren't built out of an Ikea pack like they are now and clothed in plastic; they were real cars." John Bowe
DJR-351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-11-2011, 11:43 AM   #591
J.C.
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Moranbah.
Rentals are up for tender and vary up to and including over the $3000 a week mark.
Housing contracts. Currently the one over the road, large brick home, large two bay shed, fully ducted A/C throughout, four bedroom with threatre and games room, beautiful home, has a contract for 890k.
Another has one for 1.1.
J.C. is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-11-2011, 11:56 AM   #592
Road Games

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stazza_Brendan
Still waiting for contract. Got email late yesterday arvo saying they should be sent Monday but im not holding my breath. They have also changed the conditions. gone from 12 month contract to 6 months with view to permanent.
You should see the e-mails i get, all positive and full of empty promises.... I drove up to Moranbah last week and couldn't produce a specific black coal competency for the 793 truck i was going to operate so i was turned away !!

All my paperwork, site authorisations and tickets were Ok'd on this end but up at that end i couldn't get issued a TAM'S card because i needed site specific proof...

2600km's for nothing and no response from the idiots that gave me the go ahead to book into camp!!

I have reorganised my resume' and i am trying to contact previous employers about a letterhead with my experiences specifically outlined..

It's been 5 months since i was first promised a job and $3500 for inductions and medicals later and i've lost track of how much wasted fuel $$$$ driving to interviews...
Old 21-11-2011, 12:09 PM   #593
J.C.
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
The govt and mining companys should band together and build a **** tin load more "camps" hopefully reduce the rent prices and help the locals.
Yep.
Good idea. Would you mind if they erected them in your backyard instead of mine?

There are better, more family friendly alternatives.
Old 21-11-2011, 12:20 PM   #594
Combat Wombat

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.C.
Yep.
Good idea. Would you mind if they erected them in your backyard instead of mine?

There are better, more family friendly alternatives.
What are your ideas?
Old 21-11-2011, 02:15 PM   #595
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

What is stopping you buying some land and building some?

Of course the rents would not be so high if all the miners were not being paid so much more than tradesmen doing equal work in other places.......
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-11-2011, 02:17 PM   #596
J.C.
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Wombat. You didn't anwser the question mate.
Would you mind if these camps, which can accommodate 1500-2500 people, be erected in your backyard or community?
I'm pretty sure you or your neighbours would not like the idea one bit.

Lets step back a little way before this gets totally out of hand. It is no secret that large mining companies are looking at FIFO. They have to, according to them, to tap into the labour shortage. Ok. I can accept that......for the moment.
What I fail to understand is there is land available here and has been developed for housing yet it is not being released. It has been ongoing for years now. I'm talking seven odd years here. Release the land. It has already been subdivided and allow people the option of bring there families to the place where they work and keep the family unit alive.
I have probably mentioned it already. I too have lived in camps both here and overseas, but never right next to a township or in it as is the developing case around here. I have been one of the lucky ones that never received a phone call or message from my partner saying, I've had enough. I leaving. I got out before that occurred and became a family again. But I saw it once to often to ignore the signs. Grown men shattered as all their hard work and sacrafice gone down the tube in just a few short words.
It's all well and good for a period of say twelve to sixteen months, but then it turns sour. As I was a supervisor at the time, my main responsibility was for the well being of my men. If they are not focused and fit for work, they become a hazard to themselves and others. I have had to council and take men home because they are emotionally compromised, and what makes it worse is the fact that they go back to their little box room with no one to talk to and no means of travel the 1100 plus kms to discuss the issue with the ones involved. It is the lowest feeling a man can have.
But, there are also those relationships that thrive on being apart. Mine? Well, I'd prefer to be apart of my kids life and help in watching them grow into as balanced a persons as they can be. To achieve that, the family unit has to survive as a partnership.
Governments have been pulling money from these small communities and give little in return. High revenue and income areas, not much is injected back. Our roads are a disgrace and no infrastructure invested into the communities to assist in their growth. Town water, sewerage, etc hasn't changed much in the eleven yrs I have been here, and counsil has been saying it was at capacity back then. If so, why introduce further strain on the system by allowing massive camps etc to be erected within communities where people shop, children walk to school and the elderly take their afternoon and early morning strolls.
I do however understand what large industry is asking and say. The township, in it's current state cannot accomodate for such large amounts of people. Fine. Where are our local and state governemnts when you need them? Invest in these communities and not allow them to just be raped as they are home to many families.
The camps. Put them on the mine sites as they were forty years ago. Fence them off and keep everyone inside unless there is a particular need for the individuals to enter the community (I believe this is what maybe going to happen).
If you are young and single as I was once, camp life is ok ...........but you soon get tired of it.
There are many other factors that arise with camps. Some of which are not pleasant. There have been numerous cases where women have been sexually assaulted and raped. Personally, I don't want that sort of business happening over my back fence. Would you?
I could rattle on about this all day with the pros and con of it all, but I have to stop somewhere. I have mixed feelings about camps in and around, close to family communities, and for good reason which I will not enter into. Either way, I'm only a small pea in a big pod and my opinions and values account for nothing when there is billions of dollars to be made and politicians palms to grease.

Last edited by J.C.; 21-11-2011 at 02:24 PM.
Old 21-11-2011, 02:30 PM   #597
J.C.
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Just to add to the above, something I left out.
If the developed land was released and the option given to those who choose to take it and houses buildt, would the land and house prices around the district reduce?
I figured it would help some............ yes?
Old 21-11-2011, 07:51 PM   #598
Stazza_Brendan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Finally a date.
Got an email today. Contract emailed to me and a physical copy has been sent in mail to sign and return.
Of the 11 people to be put on i was only one to get a choice on where i wanted to go. And only one offered a spot on the longwall. So now i start on 5th of Dec on the maintenence crew Tuesday - Friday dayshift working on the longwall. Go back for 1 more tour as a contractor in warehouse, then a week off before starting.
Good pay and every weekend is a long weekend. Winner. Just have to work hard to go on permanent after 6 months.
ZF - Optioned interior - Hardlid - Rapidsystems V4.5 kit - GTX3576R - Crow Cams Valve springs - 1000cc KPM injectors - 20" MC Racing Wheels - DashDaq/Cobalt Gauges - 4in dump/3.5in exhaust system - Shockworks Coilovers - 30mm Swaybar - Shockworks 4pot 355mm front brakes - GT R-spec rear brakes
CPV Tuned to 340rwkw
Stazza_Brendan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-11-2011, 07:59 PM   #599
Road Games

Congratulations...
Old 21-11-2011, 08:02 PM   #600
J.C.
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Good on you mate. If it's what you wanted, you have so far achieved your goal. Keep a level head about you and continue to work hard. It is a difficult environment to adhere to with all the rules, reg's and procedures to try and remember and abide by.