Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 31-10-2011, 09:47 PM   #511
Stazza_Brendan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Who works in the mines and what doing

I know a LV mechanic who was doing light fitting work as there was a shortage of fitters. Apparantly some of the modules for LV mechanic were same as some of the fitters modules.
Worked with him on a longwall move project. He was doing the hydraulics side of things.
ZF - Optioned interior - Hardlid - Rapidsystems V4.5 kit - GTX3576R - Crow Cams Valve springs - 1000cc KPM injectors - 20" MC Racing Wheels - DashDaq/Cobalt Gauges - 4in dump/3.5in exhaust system - Shockworks Coilovers - 30mm Swaybar - Shockworks 4pot 355mm front brakes - GT R-spec rear brakes
CPV Tuned to 340rwkw
Stazza_Brendan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-10-2011, 10:57 PM   #512
56L
a.k.a PAULY

Quote:
Originally Posted by pottery beige
heres an avenue.. something like these guys.. drillers offsider..
do your time and doors begin to open, hundreds of drilling mobs out there

http://www.jnd.com.au/cms/pages/contact-us.php
Depending on the companies equipment the difficulty of the job changes.

I walked into a drillers offsiders job ,no interview,just had to send my resume and mining medical in.

I ended up on a 1980,s drilling rig without an automatic rodhandling system , they moved a few skinny guys onto a easier rig because they were struggling,i am muscular build 110kg,s and its heavy as for me.

And on top of that working directly in 40 degree heat no shade from sun up to sun down 14/7 roster

I have 8 years military infantry/artillery experience in tough climates and i am finding this hard

So just a reminder ,mining jobs vary alot in difficulty,and the money is pretty crappy really,but it was a foot in the door
1947 ford thames tipper V8 21 stud flat head
1939 ford beer barrel truck V8 24 stud flat head
HZJ diesel ute
HJ47 diesel ute
56L is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-11-2011, 03:58 AM   #513
IDT
Marko

I started my business servicing the resource sector in WA. after 5 years up north or working from Perth. We have about 70 companies on our books and i can assure you if you are located in WA its not hard to get a resource sector job if you can show you have a good work ethic, though a little harder of you fly in from over east. This is by far the biggest complaint bosses who use us make. As long as your resume doesn't show you change jobs more often than undies and are willing to work with a bit of persistance you will get in. Maybe not directly for BHP or Rio's but there are a shed load of contractors out there screaming for young hard working guys and girls that they can train up.

An old school metality of hard work and doing what your told are still the two top attributes that employers are looking for, courses and pieces of paper help but are not the be all and end all that many make out.
Old 01-11-2011, 07:44 AM   #514
natedogg1986

thanks for all your information guys. very helpful.

CURRENT MODS: PACEMAKER 4490's, 3 INCH HIGH FLOW CAT, F6 CAI, K&N PANEL FILTER
FUTURE MODS: CAT BACK EXHAUST, MAG WHEELS
natedogg1986 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-11-2011, 09:21 AM   #515
druxr6t

Quote:
Originally Posted by WAForce8
I started my business servicing the resource sector in WA. after 5 years up north or working from Perth. We have about 70 companies on our books and i can assure you if you are located in WA its not hard to get a resource sector job if you can show you have a good work ethic, though a little harder of you fly in from over east. This is by far the biggest complaint bosses who use us make. As long as your resume doesn't show you change jobs more often than undies and are willing to work with a bit of persistance you will get in. Maybe not directly for BHP or Rio's but there are a shed load of contractors out there screaming for young hard working guys and girls that they can train up.

An old school metality of hard work and doing what your told are still the two top attributes that employers are looking for, courses and pieces of paper help but are not the be all and end all that many make out.
The missus and I have already set plans to sell our current place in Western Sydney and should be on the market before the end of the year. We are thinking about a trip to Perth in January to see whether there are places we we like to live and see what the prospects of finding a job are like.
druxr6t is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-11-2011, 12:10 PM   #516
Cúl-Báire

Quote:
Originally Posted by WAForce8

I think this is something that is lacking in a lot of staff in a lot ofindustries these days, particularly for those that are a younger generation.They see having a job as a right not a privilege and feel that their "bitof paper" is worth more than hard work to get to where you want in life.

Although I am only 28 (this month), the difference I see in work ethic and attitudesbetween people my age and older; and people in their early 20's is astounding!
Cúl-Báire is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-11-2011, 06:38 PM   #517
druxr6t

I would have to agree that the MAJORITY of my generation is like what you say. Everyone is trying to find the easy way through life, this includes working hard! I'm 25 and my partner is 22, and I would have to say that we are the opposite. We worked hard and bought our first house 3 years ago...and I was on apprentice wages!

I think we are going to travel in January to WA and suss out some nice places to live and consider the move across!
druxr6t is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-11-2011, 07:39 PM   #518
natedogg1986

can someone tell me what a mining medical details? all the places i seem to look want one done after they have offered you the job.

CURRENT MODS: PACEMAKER 4490's, 3 INCH HIGH FLOW CAT, F6 CAI, K&N PANEL FILTER
FUTURE MODS: CAT BACK EXHAUST, MAG WHEELS
natedogg1986 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-11-2011, 07:47 PM   #519
dawsman
FG GT 335 Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by natedogg1986
can someone tell me what a mining medical details? all the places i seem to look want one done after they have offered you the job.
Drug and alcohol screen (wee in a cup) as a minimum, and possibly fitness tests if there's any reason to believe you might not be fit for work.

TOY: 2011 FG GT 335 #0498, Nitro, 6sp MANUAL, 18% tint, Herrod K&N Filter, Herrod-JLT oil breather, Manta twin 3" s/s cat-back exhaust, Shockworks adjustable coilovers, R-Spec wheels (build thread)

DAILY: 2015 PXII Ranger Wildtrak, Pride Orange, 6sp auto, tech pack (pics here)

BEFORE: 2005 Mercury Silver BF XR8 ZF Auto, 20% tint, custom 2.5" cat-back exhaust, Advanti Zeta 19" wheels (found it!)
dawsman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-11-2011, 09:01 PM   #520
Cúl-Báire

Quote:
Originally Posted by druxr6t
I would have to agree that the MAJORITY of my generation is like what you say. Everyone is trying to find the easy way through life, this includes working hard! I'm 25 and my partner is 22, and I would have to say that we are the opposite. We worked hard and bought our first house 3 years ago...and I was on apprentice wages!

I think we are going to travel in January to WA and suss out some nice places to live and consider the move across!
Sorry, I did leave a key word out there...

Sounds like your doing a top job
Cúl-Báire is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-11-2011, 10:53 PM   #521
Stazza_Brendan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
In qld I did my medical last week.
Vision test (colourblind, reading chart)
Heating test (sit in booth and press buzzer when hear sound)
Drug and alcohol (**** test and bretho)
Blood pressure, reflex's, flexibility, heart rate
Underground also requires chest xray.

I also had to do a separate physical for the company
ZF - Optioned interior - Hardlid - Rapidsystems V4.5 kit - GTX3576R - Crow Cams Valve springs - 1000cc KPM injectors - 20" MC Racing Wheels - DashDaq/Cobalt Gauges - 4in dump/3.5in exhaust system - Shockworks Coilovers - 30mm Swaybar - Shockworks 4pot 355mm front brakes - GT R-spec rear brakes
CPV Tuned to 340rwkw
Old 01-11-2011, 11:56 PM   #522
svo347
AFF's 1st DM.......

Location: Wha???... There is only 2 states 2 be in.. WA or Drunk..

Quote:
As already stated drug n alcohol. The usual hearing n spiro (lung capacity) eye vision and colour test followed by turn this way crouch touch your toes reflexes mobillity(flexibility) and listening to you deep breathing. This will be done under a mines health surveillance card n re-newed every 5 years with a chest x-ray. For woodside I had to use a stepper machine for 6 mins then my pulse checked, 30 sit ups n push ups followed by the bridge for a minimum of 2mins 30. That hurt most. You'll be right mate.
Quote:
Originally Posted by zetec
I know what lengths they go to to ensure it's more than just a Ford sticker on the part. Ford doesn't throw it's name on anything for a quick buck.
06 Turbo Terri AWD 6 sp in Neo with stuff i didnt even need, side steps,15.2 inch roof mounted DVD,Pioneer $tezza,Selby 30/18mm swaybars,debunged,100 cpsi Ballistic cat,Plazmaman under battery Cai injectors 14/lb boost,ZF tuned,Xtreme's magic. :
svo347 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-11-2011, 11:59 PM   #523
bossgtp

I work underground as a solo driller up at barrick plutonic in meekatharra WA
bossgtp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-11-2011, 01:07 AM   #524
05_ENFORCER

Quote:
Originally Posted by bossgtp
Lucky fella, I'm just down the road.

Old 02-11-2011, 01:34 AM   #525
Matwilliams91

Just wondering possibilities for an all round mechanic and welder. I have done 2 years in motorsport as a mechanic, but I can also weld all types (TIG is 100%). Im looking for a change from what I am doing now, any advice out there. I never did an apprenticeship (I'm 20) But, as mentioned, have worked as a mechanic and can confidently weld.

Just after advice on where to apply and personal opinions (Constructive Criticism welcomed) on how i would go - looking for diesel mechanic/fabricator etc.

I'm obviously just trying to get my head in for next year, thinking i may have left it too late.

Any Info is appreciated.
Matwilliams91 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-11-2011, 01:52 AM   #526
svo347
AFF's 1st DM.......

Location: Wha???... There is only 2 states 2 be in.. WA or Drunk..

Do a welding course for a certification. Tig welders get paid very very well in construction, more than a fitter!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by zetec
I know what lengths they go to to ensure it's more than just a Ford sticker on the part. Ford doesn't throw it's name on anything for a quick buck.
06 Turbo Terri AWD 6 sp in Neo with stuff i didnt even need, side steps,15.2 inch roof mounted DVD,Pioneer $tezza,Selby 30/18mm swaybars,debunged,100 cpsi Ballistic cat,Plazmaman under battery Cai injectors 14/lb boost,ZF tuned,Xtreme's magic. :
svo347 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-11-2011, 08:19 AM   #527
Stazza_Brendan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I think to get a secure, well paying role you need the peice of paper saying your a welder. For a shutdown at the mine im at we had fitter who was to start and had to bring his papers to prove he was qualified.. He left them on Gold Coast and wasnt allowed to start
CPV Tuned to 340rwkw
Old 02-11-2011, 04:42 PM   #528
Jestr75
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Our whole work crew, about 12 people, were kicked off a Bowen Basin mine site because they lost all our paperwork. We had been there for over a month, preparing for a big outage and got told to leave site. We were due to do the outage in the next two days. Pretty funny when the HR department got a big please explain from the SSE as to why they lost our authorisations and tickets. Panic stations for the next day getting all of us back to site.

When you are dead, You don't know that you are dead
Only those around you know you are dead.
It's the same when you are STUPID!!!
Jestr75 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-11-2011, 04:53 PM   #529
gtfpv
GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stazza_Brendan
I think to get a secure, well paying role you need the peice of paper saying your a welder. For a shutdown at the mine im at we had fitter who was to start and had to bring his papers to prove he was qualified.. He left them on Gold Coast and wasnt allowed to start

unfortunately there are a lot of unemployed imposters out there who pose as fitters , most of them bring themselves undone very very quickly , while some of them can be quite good , unfortunately neither of them are qualified and do cause problems for employers .my bet was he wasnt a tradesman at all , and if he was he wasnt a good one , cause a good one wouldn't be dumb enough not to have copies at least .
gtfpv is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-11-2011, 06:06 PM   #530
Matwilliams91

Quote:
Originally Posted by svo347
Do a welding course for a certification. Tig welders get paid very very well in construction, more than a fitter!!
So you mean an apprenticeship? I've done a mechanic/motorsport course for 2 years, I doubt they would accept that though?
Old 02-11-2011, 08:56 PM   #531
Phil
......Ford........

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matwilliams91
So you mean an apprenticeship? I've done a mechanic/motorsport course for 2 years, I doubt they would accept that though?
You can do a coded welders course, you dont need to have a trade just be able to weld to the standard required. My brother looked into it but never follwed through with it, so I cant give you any more details than that. Others on here may know more.
FG 315 Pursuit ute....#20
"Green is Nice"
Phil is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-11-2011, 08:59 PM   #532
Phil
......Ford........

Quote:
Originally Posted by bossgtp
I have a good mate up there on a jumbo, another Ford nut. You would know him, I dare say, has a EL GT.
"Green is Nice"
Old 02-11-2011, 09:10 PM   #533
Matwilliams91

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil
You can do a coded welders course, you dont need to have a trade just be able to weld to the standard required. My brother looked into it but never follwed through with it, so I cant give you any more details than that. Others on here may know more.
Thanks for the information, will definately look into it.
Thanks again!
Old 02-11-2011, 09:29 PM   #534
red80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Mine work is not all beer and skittles, I worked for a few years on several Bowen basin sites as a contractor servicing the fire systems (Fitter by trade originally). It is hot dirty and very frustrating work, as you can sometimes spend half a day waiting for someone to have a machine available, the money is good but sometimes not worth the lifestyle. Not much to do out there.
red80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-11-2011, 09:39 PM   #535
Phil
......Ford........

Quote:
Originally Posted by red80
Mine work is not all beer and skittles, I worked for a few years on several Bowen basin sites as a contractor servicing the fire systems (Fitter by trade originally). It is hot dirty and very frustrating work, as you can sometimes spend half a day waiting for someone to have a machine available, the money is good but sometimes not worth the lifestyle. Not much to do out there.
Not to mention the strain on your personal life if you work fly in/out, it can be tough on you and your partner. Not everyone thinks of this, only see the $$
"Green is Nice"
Old 03-11-2011, 12:12 AM   #536
fmc351
let it burn

Quote:
Not to mention the strain on your personal life if you work fly in/out, it can be tough on you and your partner. Not everyone thinks of this, only see the $$
Its probably saved a few marriages though.
fmc351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-11-2011, 10:43 AM   #537
spebgtsprint
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
I have a good mate up there on a jumbo, another Ford nut. You would know him, I dare say, has a EL GT.
I've actually acquired Dales old blower assembly on my Sprint..........

Looking forward to seeing his new set up & motor on the ELGT

XR8 SPRINT
FREE HO
MERC C55 AMG
AUDI A4
spebgtsprint is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-11-2011, 08:36 PM   #538
Phil
......Ford........

Quote:
Originally Posted by spebgtsprint
I've actually acquired Dales old blower assembly on my Sprint..........

Looking forward to seeing his new set up & motor on the ELGT
Yeah... it should go VERY well !! to say the least...
Sorry off topic.
"Green is Nice"
Old 04-11-2011, 11:39 AM   #539
Combat Wombat

Hey Guys

Great read. Took me a few days to get through the whole 18 pages.

I am a current ADF member... looking to get out in the near future. So obviously I can't just throw a moderately well paying job in and move up to Central QLD and Coalfields, just so I am located in the area to get a start.

In saying that I guess I have the whole ADF experience on my side to help with getting a start as well.

I have applied for 13 Jobs with BHP Billiton (WA & QLD) with i guess 6 still pending. Two of the main ones I really are interested in are still under review which is good news. They are:

Quote:
BMA Broadmeadow Mine – Seeking Inexperienced Underground Operators

BHP Billiton Mitsubishi Alliance (BMA) is Australia's largest coal miner and exporter, and the world's largest supplier to the seaborne coking coal market. BMA is part of the world's largest diversified resources company managing ten mines and a port in Central Queensland. The company is experiencing a major demand for its products, with its outstanding resource base and first class infrastructure assets providing a strong foundation on which to grow the business.

BMA Broadmeadow Mine is a punch Longwall underground coal mine located 190 kilometres South West of Mackay (Moranbah) and the Whitsunday coast. Drawing on a large coal reserve, Broadmeadow Mine will produce 4.6 mtpa of high quality coking coal. At Broadmeadow our core value is to achieve Zero Harm and world class performance which will further enhance BMA's competitiveness in the international coking coal market.

We are currently seeking applicants wanting to start their career in Underground Mining at our Broadmeadow Mine site. This is a great time to join the team as we are entering an exciting development stage with the planned introduction of Longwall Top Coal Caving. Broadmeadow mine is committed to providing excellent professional development opportunities for the right candidates and provides the opportunity to work within a great team environment.

Ideally you will have an overriding commitment to Health, Safety and Environmental responsibility and aspire to our philosophy of Zero Harm.

If you have:

· A high standard of safe work behaviour;

· Ability to work as part of a team;

· The willingness to take on responsibilities within a team environment;

· Energy and initiative to improve your working environment;

· Have a hands on approach with some mechanical knowledge;

· Experience of and/or willingness to work shift work;

· A trade, hard rock or military background

We would love to hear from you. To apply visit jobs.bhpbilliton.com

Conditions of employment are in line with the Broadmeadow Mine Workplace Agreement.

Applications close 9th September 2011
and

Quote:
Geologist Cadetship
BHP Billiton is the world's largest diversified resources company and is an industry leader in the supply of iron ore to the global steel industry from our Western Australian Iron Ore operations. With seven mines, two ports and processing facilities and an award winning 1000+km rail system, BHP Billiton Iron Ore is more than equipped to meet the demands of the global iron ore market. We are expanding our Iron Ore business as we develop new ways to deliver competitive advantages to our customers. Join our exciting business and give your career the challenge it deserves.

Position Synopsis

This is an outstanding opportunity to join BHP Billiton Iron Ore in our Cadetship program. If you are interested in developing skills as a geologist, a BHP Billiton Iron Ore cadetship in Mine Geology provides a combination of work experience and training, supported with university study through distance education.

This is a six year program combining work and part time study with roles based on Iron Ore mine sites in the Pilbara, working fly in fly out.

The Cadet program is designed to give greater exposure to our mining operations from a grass roots perspective. Rotations are provided through several operational and technical roles throughout the program to maximise exposure.

This cadetship is suited either to people who have recently completed (or are about to complete) year 12, or to those already in the workforce with the motivation to develop their skills and become qualified as a Mine Geologist.

The cadetship program begins with BHP Billiton Iron Ore in January 2012.

Requirements

To be eligible to apply for a BHP Billiton Iron Ore Cadetship, students must be:

A permanent resident or citizen of Australia

Have completed or be about to complete their secondary education [year 12 level or equivalent

Acceptance into this program is contingent upon the applicant meeting the requisite requirements for the relevant course of study at the applicable university.

Skills and Experience

A positive attitude, motivation to develop a qualification in Mine Geology and an interest in working in the Iron Ore industry are essential. If this sounds like you and you think you can satisfy the university entrance requirements for a degree qualification in geology, we would love to hear from you.

A competitive starting salary will be offered and reviewed annually to reflect your progress in the program. The remuneration package includes performance incentive, a generous superannuation scheme, text book allowance, university tuition costs and other benefits.

To submit your application click on the 'Apply' button below on or before 05/10/11.
I got in contact with the HR manager for the geologist cadetship towards the start of the week whilst at work via e-mail, I was surprised with the prompt reply I received. The selection process has been put on hold atm due to finalising training requirements for the position, then the selection process will continue. Fingers Crossed.

The HR manager also provided me with contact details for the BMA position as well. I sent him an e-mail just before I finished work at 8am on Tuesday. When I return tonight after a few days off hopefully I have an e-mail with an update. I think it would be a good position to start and gain experience.

My old man used to be an underground longwall operator. Starting at Gordonstone back in the day for those "old fellas" that have been in the game for a while. He was working at United Colliery in the Hunter until he recently had a pretty bad stroke.
http://www.maitlandmercury.com.au/ne...e/1745796.aspx

I also have applied for 11 Jobs with Rio Tinto (WA & QLD). Does Rio update the progress of positions on their job page? I am yet to receive any knock backs yet from Rio, but do they bother contacting people?

I have also applied for various other jobs that I come across on Seek and the likes.

I have the obvious ADF experience, but the role I currently do is not a trade nor do I receive formal quals from. I also used to work at OneSteel as an operator of CNC machines, beamline and a coldsaw. I have my fork ticket, LBG and a qualified WHSO. I am hoping in the near future to complete a cert IV in training and assessment and Cert IV Ohs.
  Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-11-2011, 11:40 AM   #540
Combat Wombat

Holy **** Batman... Sorry for the massive post :-D
  Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post