Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 27-02-2015, 06:35 AM   #1
iCat
doof doof doof doof

Default Depression, Anxiety

There's been a bit about this topic in the media of late. What tips can you suggest to help people through these dark times?
Old 27-02-2015, 08:31 AM   #2
buggerlugs
If it ain't broke........
Donating Member1

Default Re: Depression, Anxiety

See a doctor.
Plenty of discussion here.............
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...=panic+attacks
5 users like this post:
Old 27-02-2015, 12:47 PM   #3
Maka
Au Falcon = Mr Reliable

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Embodiment of the AFF spirit in his efforts with ACP. 

Firstly go see a good doctor & discuss your mind space like previously said by buggerlugs. Learn when your about to have a attack or thing's that trigger bad / upsetting thoughts.

Distract your thought's if possible & go do something to take your mind off thing's that get you down. Don't listen to or focus on things that get you down also ie things in the media, life issues or family hassles etc for example. Good luck!

cheer's, Maka

Proud owner of a optioned keeper S1 Tickford Falcon AU XR6 VCT - "it's actually a better-balanced car than the XR8, goes almost as hard and uses about two-thirds of the fuel" (Drive.com 2007)
Maka is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-02-2015, 12:55 PM   #4
raised by monkeys
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Be careful of being prescribed meds as a first point of call.

Current
SY FPV F6X Territory #214
Previous
FG MkII G6E Turbo built by Heinrichs Performance and Tuning
BFII FPV TORNADO #0021 351rwkw - Heinrich Performance and Tuning

"Milk is for babies. When you grow up you have to drink beer" - Arnold Schwarzenegger
raised by monkeys is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-02-2015, 12:56 PM   #5
cram_it_frog
wombat

I have a major spinal injury and live with chronic pain and I do suffer occasionally with depression for over 20 years now

I have slowly learned yes speak to your GP and other health professionals but in the end you have to take responsibility for your own health

other people can suggest and help you get the tools to manage your problem but you are the only one who can fix the problem

I get frustrated at not being able to do things like I used to do working on the car gardening ect

it is not a easy road to take but the sooner you work out you are the only one to fix the problem the sooner you learn to live with it

There is always some one a lot worse than you just around the corner

I can still walk at my own pace and enjoy life at my own pace what more can you hope for ?

Life is full of experiences some good some bad and with luck they all balance out in the end

What Ford s have I owned
1969 Blue wagon 1974 XB owned 3 of them
Numerious others but I always went back to ford

My first car was a 6 volt VW sedan
cram_it_frog is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-03-2015, 04:36 AM   #6
ILLaViTaR
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

It's an illness and needs to be treated as such, hard to overcome mental aspects and perceptions/moods when they stem from chronic physical underlyings.

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases...0528180900.htm
http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases...1114124307.htm
http://www.nature.com/nrmicro/journa...cro2876-f1.jpg
http://www.nature.com/news/gut-brain...ntists-1.16316
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5zlJ8CztFO8
http://www.nature.com/nrmicro/journa...cro2876-f1.jpg
http://www.ucsf.edu/news/2014/08/116...rule-our-minds
http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases...0108125953.htm
Old 03-03-2015, 09:54 AM   #7
zilo
BANNED

From what I've seen as a starting point....

First and foremost surround yourself with good people,
not nasty negative complaining types.. ..sometimes certain family members are the worst.

Stay away from facebook if you are a multi-daily user too, seems to affect some people.
zilo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-03-2015, 11:17 AM   #8
raised by monkeys
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Positive self talk strategies
Challenge your own thinking i.e. "is this rational?"
Stretch your capacity (much like a rubber band) by setting small goals i.e. if your anxiety is about new environments and unfamiliar faces, start in an environment which is non threatening.

An example is a small café I use with young people . I take them there once a week; the coffee is the distraction, the environment and people are the challenge. The café has access to a busy road from which they can see from the café'. People move up and down the road going about their business. This in itself is therapeutic as often a person's anxiety is built upon irrational thoughts that others are thinking about them; or want to know what they're doing.

Initially, young people are often too nervous to make the order. Over a couple of weeks they become comfortable and build them up to make the order themselves. Eventually encourage them to go there themselves. Narrative therapy and challenging irrational thoughts; as well as the coffee acts as a tool to disassociate and focus on when the anxiety comes on strong.

This could be done with a friend also. But the idea is to stretch your inner 'rubber band' to increase your capacity to become less anxious in new environments and around strangers.

Current
Previous

"Milk is for babies. When you grow up you have to drink beer" - Arnold Schwarzenegger
5 users like this post:
Old 03-03-2015, 11:50 AM   #9
buggerlugs
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by zilo View Post
From what I've seen as a starting point....

First and foremost surround yourself with good people,
not nasty negative complaining types.. ..sometimes certain family members are the worst.

Stay away from facebook if you are a multi-daily user too, seems to affect some people.
I think "Facebook" has a lot to answer for in our Society....
Old 03-03-2015, 12:08 PM   #10
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by buggerlugs View Post
I think "Facebook" has a lot to answer for in our Society....
Your not wrong there!

I spent half the day Friday sitting in a Doctors surgery talking to my GP and then an hour with a Psychologist as the result of a family fight over Facebook.
All because my sister added her phone number to her account when she opened it and an estranged family member clicked on those 3 little dots and found it and called her.
My sister wouldn't have any of it and accused her daughter in law of providing the number.
My nephew went around and proved to her that her number was on the profile, but she wouldn't have a bar of it.

The next thing I get a phone call from my mother expecting me to sort it all out and when I did they refused to apologise.

I lost it completely, I'd been doing well too but all it took was a few poorly chosen words and I was right back where I started.

I've always baulked at the idea of medication to treat my problems, but as a result of the state I was in on Friday my GP said either take something or im ringing an ambulance.
He gave me something called Alepam and within a few hours I was smiling from ear to ear. To be honest I hadn't felt that good in ages and I slept like a baby, but now im concerned that I will turn to it every time I feel flat and I don't want to become dependant on them.
BENT_8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 03-03-2015, 01:11 PM   #11
Legit290
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

if you have a headache you take a painkiller
if you have an infection you take penicillin
if you have depression there are medications out there that can help
Legit290 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-03-2015, 02:04 PM   #12
raised by monkeys
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legit290 View Post
No. Long onset of low mood, depression, is a chemical imbalance. Its the reduction in serotonin received by receptors in the brain. Anti depressants, sri and ssri's (serotonin reuptake inhibitors and selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors) only trick other receptors in the brain to receiving serotonin. This is a bandaid fix.

Current
Previous

Old 03-03-2015, 03:16 PM   #13
Legit290
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

many medical practitioners would disagree with you
Legit290 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-03-2015, 03:35 PM   #14
Windsor220
Now Fordless

Quote:
Originally Posted by raised by monkeys View Post
No. Long onset of low mood, depression, is a chemical imbalance. Its the reduction in serotonin received by receptors in the brain. Anti depressants, sri and ssri's (serotonin reuptake inhibitors and selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors) only trick other receptors in the brain to receiving serotonin. This is a bandaid fix.
Having suffered depression over the years I would agree with this. I am currently on some light medication but it is for physical anxiety symptoms. The biggest thing that helped me with depression was talking about my issues to a professional psychologist. He explained at the time how all the meds work and that they mainly mask the problem. You need to make life changes and also change the way you think about things. I have been a lot better ever since then even though there is the occasional down period.
Windsor220 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 03-03-2015, 03:39 PM   #15
raised by monkeys
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
many medical practitioners would disagree with you
Of course they would. Above described is a (albeit brief) description of the medicinal effect of anti depressant medication on the mood. The medical model is to apply a bandage. Meds are not a long term solution and mess with the bodies chemicals to treat the symptom, not the problem.

We are talking about mental illness; the psych, not strictly medical. I work from a social work model which incorporates knowledge from psychology and sociology; social sciences. A combination of therapy + meds are recommended. Meds are recommended to assist in the short term to stabilise moods and allow people to function, but then to be weened off slowly as the problem is treated.

Current
Previous

4 users like this post:
Old 03-03-2015, 04:09 PM   #16
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by raised by monkeys View Post
Of course they would. Above described is a (albeit brief) description of the medicinal effect of anti depressant medication on the mood. The medical model is to apply a bandage. Meds are not a long term solution and mess with the bodies chemicals to treat the symptom, not the problem.

We are talking about mental illness; the psych, not strictly medical. I work from a social work model which incorporates knowledge from psychology and sociology; social sciences. A combination of therapy + meds are recommended. Meds are recommended to assist in the short term to stabilise moods and allow people to function, but then to be weened off slowly as the problem is treated.
That is exactly what I was told by my GP and in extension by the Psychologist.

The GP told me it was only a short term fix and then proceeded to convince their resident Psych to see me before he left for his other practicing suite.
The Psych took one look at me and was more than convinced.

During our discussions he made it quite clear that therapy alone was not going to work, I would need medication to assist.

I have serious anger issues and a level of social anxiety as a result of family problems in my younger years, which really hinders my day to day life.

The best way to describe how that pill felt was like driving out of fog, all of sudden everything became clear and I could put stuff in to perspective.
I didn't feel high or anything, just stuff didn't bother me that normally would.

I went to bowls on Saturday and had a ball, a fair bit of banter and **** talk spilled from all involved and we got smacked by a very good outfit but whereas I'd normally be annoyed, not in a bad sportsmanship sense but dirty with myself for not making the difference , I just shrugged it off and grabbed a tomato juice from the bar and moved on.

Don't hide from it, take it on and help yourselves.

I couldn't see much hope and although I've always said suicide wasn't an option for me, I feel inside I was close last week which scared me into getting help.
Im far from sorted, in fact I think it will be a long slow road as my issues are well ingrained, but I can finally see daylight at the end of the tunnel.
7 users like this post:
Old 03-03-2015, 05:00 PM   #17
buggerlugs
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by BENT_8 View Post
Your not wrong there!

I spent half the day Friday sitting in a Doctors surgery talking to my GP and then an hour with a Psychologist as the result of a family fight over Facebook.
All because my sister added her phone number to her account when she opened it and an estranged family member clicked on those 3 little dots and found it and called her.
My sister wouldn't have any of it and accused her daughter in law of providing the number.
My nephew went around and proved to her that her number was on the profile, but she wouldn't have a bar of it.

The next thing I get a phone call from my mother expecting me to sort it all out and when I did they refused to apologise.

I lost it completely, I'd been doing well too but all it took was a few poorly chosen words and I was right back where I started.

I've always baulked at the idea of medication to treat my problems, but as a result of the state I was in on Friday my GP said either take something or im ringing an ambulance.
He gave me something called Alepam and within a few hours I was smiling from ear to ear. To be honest I hadn't felt that good in ages and I slept like a baby, but now im concerned that I will turn to it every time I feel flat and I don't want to become dependant on them.
Bloody Facebook.........
http://www.news.com.au/technology/ba...-1227246580941
This user likes this post:
Old 03-03-2015, 05:09 PM   #18
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by buggerlugs View Post
That is sad.

On a brighter note your sig is so appropriate to me right now I couldn't help but giggle a little.
2 users like this post:
Old 03-03-2015, 05:21 PM   #19
superyob
Banned

Never have I been struck down by these afflictions. I put that down to never having left the 70s and engaging with the confused values of later decades...

True story!

Actually, the prospect of running out of beer makes me feel a little anxious...
superyob is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 03-03-2015, 05:35 PM   #20
Grega

its good to see people openly talking about this stuff. my parents are english and i am the anti christ because mental health issues don't exist. sorry for the generalisation there, i know some poms are nothing like that, but, thats the way they roll.

avoid facebook where possible. if you use it ; use it for good ; like xk,xl,xm,xp falcons australia. get rid of people off it and avoid it. social conditioning.

1 in 5 people suffer from mental illness. i am one of those 1. so much so i just returned home from my councilor ironically, and noticed this post.

medications are there for a purpose. they help with symptoms. they do not fix the root cause. visiting a psych will help bring the root cause to the surface to talk thru. the meds will help you deal with the symptoms. i saw my psych two thursdays ago and i was extremely low on the friday. she hit a nerve with me.

to start with if you have these issues ; beyondblue is a good first port of call - otherwise your GP is a good starting point for a referral. do not get to your wits end and end up in the psych ward (experience talking) because life gets on top of you. **** goes on in life which ****s with (my) head which i cannot even comprehend these days, can't figure it out on my own. like they say a problem shared is a problem halved - talk to close people you know you can trust - and go from there.

i hope this helps the OP and all the best in your journey. need to talk - get on here and start talking. otherwise PMs are good.

remember the stats. 1 in 5 people suffer from mental health issues. by the way - 2 in 5 suffer from depression and/or anxiety. this is as a result of society failing - and not you individually!

Quote:
Originally Posted by damoose
You like it so much now the tig trolley is green..
Grega is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 03-03-2015, 05:40 PM   #21
Grega

something else i forget to mention. stay present. easier said than done.

1. look for the color green. and keep finding it. trees, grass, cars, people whatever. will amuse you no end and keep you present.
2. smell. what can you smell. notice different smells as you move around
3. touch. what does stuff feel like.
4. taste. eat a malteser. not condoning chocolate (much) but - the taste, let it dissolve etc - see how that feels.

use your senses to stay present is what this is about.

oh and by the way. pink elephant. now tell me you didn't see it in your minds eye ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by damoose
You like it so much now the tig trolley is green..
Grega is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old 03-03-2015, 09:25 PM   #22
a-total-tool

You need to be very careful, if you are ever described anti-depressants. In a lot of cases, you will feel worse before you feel better. I was prescribed medication and it got scary for me - as a result, I no longer take them.

Find someone to talk to. If you don't have anyone close enough that you can trust not to judge with your problems, look for a phychologist. In my case, there are certain things (events/people) that trigger my lows. Over time, I have learned to deal with these triggers.

Things that have helped me:
*Exercise, I am still a fat ****** - but I feel better when I am out and about. I don't sit at home dwelling on things
*Go for a cruise - gets me out of the house, which is a good distraction.
*Try to socialise. I Don't have many friends.. but I feel that I am close to the few that I do have.

Last edited by a-total-tool; 03-03-2015 at 09:36 PM.
a-total-tool is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
6 users like this post:
Old 03-03-2015, 10:27 PM   #23
CoupeKing
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
if you have a headache you take a painkiller
if you have an infection you take penicillin
Yeah that's great until....

You're allergic to Paracetamol or Penicillin
CoupeKing is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 03-03-2015, 11:02 PM   #24
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoupeKing View Post
Yeah that's great until....

You're allergic to Paracetamol or Penicillin
Some people may be allergic to Penicillin, but allergies to Paracetamol are rare.

And I think Legit290 was just generalising so it's not worth splitting hairs.
Old 03-03-2015, 11:14 PM   #25
danzvtil
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grega View Post
its good to see people openly talking about this stuff. my parents are english and i am the anti christ because mental health issues don't exist. sorry for the generalisation there, i know some poms are nothing like that, but, thats the way they roll.
Unfortunately many of our parents came from a time when mental health issues would stigmatize the whole family. Of course today the amount of help available is huge, talking about it is normal, its the first step to getting better.
My sister wasn't coping some time ago, I suggested she see the doc like I had, she didn't want to do that, she was fearful of being put on drugs.
I had to gently remind her that treatment was her choice, and the doc would discuss all possible options.

We learn about ourselves and our bodies all the time, some blokes can run a marathon or play rough footy for a full game and know their limits, but what about mental limits??
I know that after 14 days straight on caffeine, I start to yell, and that effects my family (and other drivers).
I know that small twinge of chest pain is anxiety starting to rear its ugly head.
I know by the end of a busy week my mind can be shot, leaving me incapable of coherent banter.
I know in my darkest times, reading a fiction novel is the start of my body relaxing and getting back on track.
We all have these foibles, all I can say to the op that knowledge is power. Knowing how YOU react to certain situations means you can better manage yourself in future.

2019 LDV G10
2009 Mitsubishi Express-GONE
2011 Honda Jazz
Old 03-03-2015, 11:29 PM   #26
Uncle Niceguy
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Ahh depression, story of my life first round of it l got better and proceeded to get the hell out of home, by moving to W.A after coming back home (for the first time in about 10 months) l stayed (kid you not) for all of 2 weeks then l went to sydney to take care of my Grandad after he passed away l went back into depression big time, moved back home got my life turned around with great help from my parents and psychologist (this time around was medication free and extremely difficult) and then a couple months later l started setting realistic goals with my Dad prodding me into it, and since November 2013 l learnt to never quit. An example of this is me getting a decent education (associate degree in civil engineering) that l first attempted last year and am currently doing (all over again) this year, but before all this l needed a job. to get that l needed to be as employable as possible so l lost a crap load of weight (circa 40kg) and got a weekend job as a support worker.

if there is any advice l can give is don't run away from your issues and start getting fit, getting fit improves brain power that is fact. It will also give your self-esteem the boost it needs and after each workout you feel a million bucks!
Uncle Niceguy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 04-03-2015, 12:16 AM   #27
XR5

I spent ten years in the NSW cops working Southwest Sydney and due to the things I saw, did and had to endure day in and day out I was discharged in 2011 with chronic post traumatic stress disorder, chronic major depressive disorder and all the anxiety and fear of public places and large groups that come with those. It all stemmed from an incident in 2007 involving some shots fired, colleagues injured etc. that was just the last straw though. It triggered everything I have been involved in over the years like fatals, bad pursuits, suicides, shootings, murders and basically seeing exactly what humans are capable of doing to one another.

My symptoms basically became quick to violence, no patience, fear of public places, always looking for risks, sit with back to wall, easily startled by loud noises especially from behind, feel worthless, low self esteem, paranoid of being watched and can't take enjoyment out of anything.

My paranoia of being spoken to or fear in public was to the extent that, even though I already had the majority of them before the incident, I have two sleeves worth of tattoos, grew a great big bikie beard and basically made myself as unapproachable looking as you could. It acted like and still does act like a protection mechanism.

I managed it quite well for a few years with anti depressants but last year had a major relapse. My aggression was sky high and would not come down for days. It got so bad that I had to be hospitalised for three weeks at St John Of God Hospital in Sydney and do their PTSD course while my meds were changed. Things have gotten a lot better now but I still take anti depressants and mood stabilisers in order to keep things at bay and have come to terms with the fact that I probably will take these meds for the rest of my life.

After dealing with this for the last eight years I have a great psychiatrist, have meds that are working and I understand what they do in things like the mood stabilisers won't stop me getting angry but will give me time to realise stuff like, hang on I need to disengage from this situation before I lose the plot and get aggressive or violent etc. I have also had to come to terms with the fact that I am probably about as better as I am ever going to get but have adapted my life to suit this. Yep, I am not a social butterfly and am quiet in a group but that is ok with me. I have triggers like a news story, seeing a Police Car, the colour red (blood) and God knows how many others that trigger flashbacks, panic attacks, anxiety etc. I can only really do one thing at a time. Give me two tasks to do and I panic about getting them done and I have small things happen that can trigger me into tears or major depressive days but I know who I am and I know what I have. That doesn't mean that I like the me I am now or that I am not angry about it and feel like pieces of me have stolen but I realise that what I have left of the old me is what I have and is better than nothing.

My advice to anyone, don't try to hide it. That only makes it worse. Don't be ashamed of it. It has been around for years. We are lucky to live in a time where it has been recognised. Don't be afraid to ask for help. More people are aware of these issues now than any other time in our history and the most important thing is that due to all our symptoms I think we often feel like we are the only ones going through these things. We are not alone. There are heaps of people out there that are exactly like us. When I was in hospital everyone in my PTSD ward had the same feelings and symptoms and I truly felt more at ease and at peace in there than I had in years.

Basically, as now I think my rant has gone off the rails and is starting to not make sense, is that if you know something is not right get help, don't be afraid, don't be scared. It shows you have more guts and courage by asking for help than it does trying to hide the symptoms and soldier on.

Cheers guys. Sorry for long winded post.
XR5 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-03-2015, 08:09 AM   #28
Maka
Au Falcon = Mr Reliable

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Embodiment of the AFF spirit in his efforts with ACP. 

A couple of link's about resilience & wellbeing -

http://www.mayoclinic.org/tests-proc...e/art-20046311

http://www.responseability.org/__dat...-Wellbeing.pdf

cheer's, Maka

Proud owner of a optioned keeper S1 Tickford Falcon AU XR6 VCT - "it's actually a better-balanced car than the XR8, goes almost as hard and uses about two-thirds of the fuel" (Drive.com 2007)
Maka is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-03-2015, 08:57 AM   #29
Sam_Boss260
Have Boost, will use it..

So a question.....

How do you distinguish anxiety / depression with just everyday stress and "life stuff"?? At what point does one cross over? Is there a tipping point?
Sam_Boss260 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-03-2015, 09:51 AM   #30
superyob
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam_Boss260 View Post
So a question.....

How do you distinguish anxiety / depression with just everyday stress and "life stuff"?? At what point does one cross over? Is there a tipping point?
I suppose the difference is that when a stressful problem occurs, the stress dissipates the second the problem is solved and I can return to being a happy and contented superyob...
superyob is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post