Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Focus

Old 27-08-2008, 03:19 PM   #31
Mullett
Badly Focused

I'd hesitate to disagree, they're both very good cars built on the same platform, and if you rather one or the other, then that's great, you've got a car you love.

RM.

93 GSR/Evo3...too much to mention, 12.2sec 1/4, FOR SALE!

*Maybe we don't try putting holes in things that sink, yeah?*
Mullett is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-08-2008, 06:40 PM   #32
Als_Zetec
Rated G

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuans

I love my manual zetec. The highlight truly is its handling, which the corolla by far, isn't able to come close. I get about 6.7 litres/100kms of which 70% is highway kms.

Take the manual demo and drive it through some twisties. Observe how pin sharp the steering is and the lack of bad vices normally associated with most FWD's. The way the car sits through the twisties inspires confidence for the next curve/bend. IMHO, for the money, you'll be hard pressed to find a better handling car.
Hey Kuans and everyone

I can understand that the handling is superb, but how's the engine? Does it go well in the low and mid range or does it need to be revved hard for max performance? Do you need to work it to get the most out of it or does it go well across the board?

Thanks....
Als_Zetec is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-08-2008, 08:26 PM   #33
Buzz Box
Wheel Wally

Quote:
Originally Posted by Als_Zetec
Hey Kuans and everyone

I can understand that the handling is superb, but how's the engine? Does it go well in the low and mid range or does it need to be revved hard for max performance? Do you need to work it to get the most out of it or does it go well across the board?

Thanks....
Its GUTLESS!!!

You really need to flog it if you want any performance but like I said it handles superbly!!

But as most of the drivers are nanna's or a city run about it doesn't matter .

Don't try overtaking with anything less than 10k's to spare - you feel like you need to carry a jockey's whip for when you want to overtake and wind the window and give it a flogging!!

P.S. My doctors receptionist her parents brought a zetec who are in their 80's and they say its not as zippy as what they thought and they in their 80's!!!
Buzz Box is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-08-2008, 08:33 PM   #34
Mullett
Badly Focused

I'd disagree with that, it's not a muscle car, but it goes well once the revs are up. There's plenty of midrange, and it'll pull up any hill I've come across at 2000rpm. It'll still do 180km+, and I've seen one do 215 (no S*it) It's comfortable with a cruising speed of 160-180. For the size of the car, I surely couldn't fault the performance. Removing the resonator box improved the top end (5500+) and it revs out a little more readily now.

Performance is comparative. If you're used to an XR6T, don't expect it to go like that. If you're used to a barina, it'll blow you away. I think a low 16 or high 15 second standing 1/4 is on the cards? (someone correct me on that)

As far as overtaking, like any car without serious urge, it's all about planning. Sitting right behind something and then swinging out exposes you for far longer than sitting 50M back and getting a run at it before the overtaking lane. Remember you can always wash off that speed if the lane isn't clear and sit behind the other car, but if you come to the dotted lines with an extra 20km/h on board, that'll halve your exposure time.

RM.

Old 27-08-2008, 08:51 PM   #35
kuans

Hi Als zetec,
I don't own an auto so I don't know how it truly performs, but auto owners don't seem to have high praises about their lot.

The 1st gear is kind of weak and the 2nd gear is just a little bit stronger. But once you get up to 3rd gear, you'll find yourself smiling. And when you are driving through the twisties, you can just leave it at 3rd gear and enjoy the ride! Torque is just simply on tap and you won't need to downshift to 2nd.

In regards to overtaking, because I'm using 98RON, I can say it's not gutless. Just downshift to 3rd gear, floor it and watch it fly!
kuans is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-08-2008, 08:55 PM   #36
marg99
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Your plans for the new car sound great. Bets of luck with the test drive this weekend.
marg99 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-08-2008, 09:18 PM   #37
Spazzsfocus
RS Dreamer!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzz Box
Its GUTLESS!!!

You really need to flog it if you want any performance but like I said it handles superbly!!

But as most of the drivers are nanna's or a city run about it doesn't matter .

Don't try overtaking with anything less than 10k's to spare - you feel like you need to carry a jockey's whip for when you want to overtake and wind the window and give it a flogging!!

P.S. My doctors receptionist her parents brought a zetec who are in their 80's and they say its not as zippy as what they thought and they in their 80's!!!
I hardly think your in much of a position to make such a definitive comment... especially considering your such an enthusiast of LPG

http://www.fordforums.com.au/showpos...0&postcount=13

compared to an LPG falcon... the zetec's are rocket ships and hardly 'Gutless'! So if anyone wants to experience the lack of mileage from a tank of fuel (i.e. LPG) and the complete retardation of power (i.e. 'gutless' performance), then try driving an LPG falcon like I do on occasion for work..

I'd take a zetec focus over LPG any day of the week...lol plus who cares about a doctors receptionist and what her parent's drive... obviously you spend way too much time in the waiting room of your GP's :
Spazzsfocus is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-08-2008, 10:02 PM   #38
Mullett
Badly Focused

harking back to it all, since you're in WA, if you want to come around and give mine a proper test drive (the dealer won't let you take it to a decent road :P)

Come to think of it...is wagga still reading this thread? Or are we just fighting amoung ourselves?

RM.

P.S. We in the west should gettogether for a drive...

Old 28-08-2008, 12:49 AM   #39
warren77

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mullett
harking back to it all, since you're in WA, if you want to come around and give mine a proper test drive (the dealer won't let you take it to a decent road :P)
My dealer let me take the Mondeo XR5 for a 50KM test drive. Granted we needed to put more fuel in it, but i got to choose the route.
warren77 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-08-2008, 09:52 AM   #40
waggaclint
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

Come to think of it...is wagga still reading this thread? Or are we just fighting amoung ourselves?

RM.

P.S. We in the west should gettogether for a drive...
yeah im still ready im gonna take one for a spin this saturday....
waggaclint is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-08-2008, 12:05 PM   #41
BlackLS
yum

Quote:

Performance is comparative. If you're used to an XR6T, don't expect it to go like that. If you're used to a barina, it'll blow you away. I think a low 16 or high 15 second standing 1/4 is on the cards? (someone correct me on that)

RM.
A few months after getting the car I did a 16.2sec at 85mph on bald NCT5s stock, with spare and jack 25 deg track temp at WSID.

After removing the intake reso and advancing the spark timing its defiantly a 15 sec pass.

When overtaking you need revs to be 4000+. You do need to prepare a bit better with what gear you should be in and a run-up if you want to overtake compared to a Falcon 6cyl.

BlackLS is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-08-2008, 08:13 PM   #42
TITO
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
I'd hesitate to disagree, they're both very good cars built on the same platform, and if you rather one or the other, then that's great, you've got a car you love.

RM.
Thats what the Ford dealer told us when we mentioned the 3 ''yes mate, he says, same thing. Problem is when you get a 3 and the Focus side by side and look under both cars the rear end aint the same the Focus looks more complicated I guess thats why they handle so well and as far as know that rear end is a ''Ford'' engineering masterpiece used on a majority of Fords.
TITO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-08-2008, 08:35 PM   #43
Mullett
Badly Focused

Interesting point, the 'control blade' IRS (which is actually a very well-engineered looking thing, proper double wishbones without hurting space too much) could be a focus-only spec, and it could be the front subframe/engine package that's shared. The better handling can also be down to better ridgity in the body, better weight distribution, etc. Could even be as simple as a better shock/spring package. I'd like to drive them back to back down some nice roads...Which harks back to my other point...time for a FocusWA cruise thru the hills!

RM.

Old 28-08-2008, 09:28 PM   #44
eXtremist
2007 Ford Focus Zetec

Exclamation

Ford has a comprehensive small car fleet in Australia, but is most often recognised as a large car brand. Two ways in which the company hopes to redress this perception is by offering more traffic-stopping halo models, such as the Fiesta XR4, Focus XR5 Turbo, and Focus Convertible, and revised pricing. Here's how the new look Focus range stacks up in terms of pricing:

Models
Focus CL - $19,990
Focus LX - $23,990
Focus TDCi - $27,990
Focus Zetec - $26,490
Focus Ghia - $29,490

Vehicle
Silver 2007 Ford Focus Sedan Zetec LT (Manual)

Pros
* Sexy car - Sedan looks better (Personal preference)
* Fuel efficient compared to all the cars I've had in the past - Depends how you drive
* Leather interior
* Heaps of torque and picks up heaps of speed in 3rd gear
* No pinging on 91 (Pinging issue only seems to be an issue on the LS models)
* Best handling ever!

Cons
* CV Joints have started clicking from 5,000kms, apparently its a common problem, Ford is replacing them under warranty soon.
* CD Player doesn't have MP3, but I think the newer release models have MP3

Previous car was a 2005 Ford Focus LX LS (Automatic) which was gutless and has worse fuel economy but still had good handling, not better than the Zetec due to the lower suspension it has.

Specifications
* Four-door sedan body style; RHD and C1
* 1,999 cc 2.0 liters in-line 4 engine with 87.5 mm bore, 83.1 mm stroke, 10.8 compression ratio, double overhead cam and four valves per cylinder Duratec
* Multi-point injection fuel system
* Manual five-speed transmission with shift lever on floor manual
* Front-wheel drive
* Seating: five seats
* Luxury trim carbon fiber look on center floor console, carbon fiber look on doors and carbon fiber look on dashboard
* Front seats and rear seats cup holders fixed
* Air conditioning with rear outlet
* Front and rear power windows with two one-touch
* Power steering electro-hydraulic
* Four-wheel ABS
* Electronic traction control via ABS & engine management
* Six speaker(s)
* Cruise control
* Tachometer
* Computer with average speed, average fuel consumption, instantaneous fuel consumption and range for remaining fuel
* Side body skirts
* Gloss paint
* 55 liter, 14.5 gallon main fuel tank for premium unleaded 12.1
* Performance:
* Fuel economy ADR 81/00: 7.1
* Remote power locks includes trunk/hatch and includes power windows

Performance
* Premium unleaded fuel with additional unleaded 95 octane, 91, unleaded and 91
* Front-wheel drive
* Power: 107 kW , 145 HP ISO @ 6,000 rpm; , 185 Nm @ 4,500 rpm
* 1,999 cc 2.0 liters in-line 4 engine with 87.5 mm bore, 83.1 mm stroke, 10.8 compression ratio, double overhead cam and four valves per cylinder Duratec
* Strut front suspension independent with stabilizer bar and coil springs, multi-link rear suspension independent with stabilizer bar and coil springs
* Multi-point injection fuel system
* Performance:
* Fuel economy ADR 81/00: 7.1
* Fuel consumption: ADR 81/01, combined (l/100km): 7.1, combined (mpg): 33, 14.1 and 40
* Sport alternate suspension
* Emission control level EU4 - carbon dioxide level (g/km): 170 7.0, 6.5 and 3.5

General
* Trim level: ZETEC
* Charges: VAT GST (10%), Registration Tax LCT (25%), 2,408.18 and 0.00
* Four-door sedan body style; RHD and C1
* Paint warranty: duration (months): 36 or distance (miles): 62,100, distance (km): 100,000
* Variable delivery charges:
* Powertrain warranty: duration (months): 36 or distance (miles): 62,100, distance (km): 100,000
* Full car warranty: duration (months): 36 or distance (miles): 62,100, distance (km): 100,000
* Anticorrosion warranty: duration (months): 60 or distance (miles): Unlimited, distance (km): Unlimited

Comfort
* Clock
* Roof antenna
* Seating: five seats
* Computer with average speed, average fuel consumption, instantaneous fuel consumption and range for remaining fuel
* Six speaker(s)
* Bucket reclining driver seat with fore/aft adjustment and height adjustment, bucket reclining passenger seat
* Three asymmetrical split bench front facing rear seats with zero adjustments
* Tachometer
* Front seats and rear seats cup holders fixed
* Luxury trim carbon fiber look on center floor console, carbon fiber look on doors and carbon fiber look on dashboard
* Audio system with AM/FM and CD player
* Driver and passenger power partial-painted door mirrors indicator lights
* Manual five-speed transmission with shift lever on floor manual
* Front and rear power windows with two one-touch
* Driver and passenger vanity mirror
* Cruise control
* Power steering electro-hydraulic
* Leather covered multi-function steering wheel with tilt adjustment and telescopic adjustment
* Cloth seat upholstery with additional cloth
* 12v power outlet: front
* Air conditioning with rear outlet
* Ventilation system with micro filter
* External temperature
* Steering wheel mounted remote audio controls
* Dashboard

Safety
* Four-wheel ABS
* Four disc brakes including two ventilated discs
* Remote power locks includes trunk/hatch and includes power windows
* Front side airbag
* Driver and passenger front airbag
* 3-point reel rear seat belts on driver side, passenger side and center side
* Height adjustable 3-point reel front seat belts on driver seat and passenger seat with pre-tensioners
* Stability control
* Crash test results ANCAP and 4
* Brake assist system
* Electronic traction control via ABS & engine management
* Electronic brake distribution

Exterior
* Gloss paint
* Front and rear alloy wheels with 17 inch rim diam and 6.5 inch rim width
* Body color front and rear bumpers
* Complex surface lens halogen bulb headlights
* Rear window
* Spacesaver steel rim internal spare wheel
* Front fog lights
* Rear view mirror
* Side body skirts
* Full galvanized non-corrosive body

Dimensions
* Weights: gross vehicle weight rating (kg): 1,670, gross vehicle weight rating (lbs): 3,682, curb weight (kg): 1,298, curb weight (lbs): 2,862, gross trailer weight braked (kg): 900, gross trailer weight braked (lbs): 1,984, gross trailer weight unbraked (kg): 650 and gross trailer weight unbraked (lbs): 1,433
* 55 liter, 14.5 gallon main fuel tank for premium unleaded 12.1
* Cargo capacity: rear seat up; to lower window (liters): 510 and rear seat up; to lower window (cu ft): 18.0
* Load restraint hooks
* External dimensions: overall length (mm): 4,488, overall length (inches): 176.7, overall width (mm): 1,840, overall width (inches): 72.4, overall height (mm): 1,443, overall height (inches): 56.8, wheelbase (mm): 2,640, wheelbase (inches): 103.9, front track (mm): 1,535, front track (inches): 60.4, rear track (mm): 1,531, rear track (inches): 60.3, curb to curb turning circle (mm): 10,700 and curb to curb turning circle (feet): 35.1
* Internal dimensions: front headroom (mm): 998, front headroom (inches): 39.3, front leg room (mm): 1,058, front leg room (inches): 41.7, rear leg room (mm): 908, rear leg room (inches): 35.7, front shoulder room (mm): 1,410, front shoulder room (inches): 55.5, rear shoulder room (mm): 1,381 and rear shoulder room (inches): 54.4
* Rigid cargo area cover/rear parcel shelf

eXtremist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-08-2008, 09:59 PM   #45
Mullett
Badly Focused

You say the LS LX was a slug? I'd have to guess that the auto was the cause, and maybe we've just had the best back-to back comparo of auto-v-manual, because they share every other mechanical part (except suspention), as far as I know the zetec has the same engine, gearbox, suspention geometry (with different springs/shocks) as the rest of the non-turbo range.

It seems like the response from everyone with an auto is that they hate it, it's slow and uses lots of fuel, and most people with a manual love it, and find it reasonably quick and efficient.

RM.

Old 29-08-2008, 04:37 PM   #46
waggaclint
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

well i just took a new CL focus for a spin about an hr ago...i was pretty happy with it to (it was manual) it went quite well better than i thought it would very nice handling and great gear change its one of best small cars ive driven...i reakon ill be selling my falcon now and buying one hey the only thing i didnt really like was no power mirrors (but that can be fixed with smooth pack) and a bit of road noise but every small car has road noise i find...but overall i found it very good we went for an 1/2hr spin down a couple of open winding roads (the salesman was good witch is rare) normally they just let ya drive around the block.....

ive been looking around the web for wheels there arnt many around in ozz do anyone no of any places were ya can nice wheels for them or anywere overseas that will send them to aus...

if i buy one ill be going for this sort of look with it

Last edited by waggaclint; 29-08-2008 at 04:50 PM.
Old 29-08-2008, 05:56 PM   #47
RJO89
EuroFordClub

There's lots and lots of road noise. I'm actually thinking of getting rid of mine due to the fact that the road noise is so great. Even with the stereo up (aftermarket stereo with subs & speakers) you can still hear the road noise...

Far from stock... --- SOLD :

Now riding a 2009 Kawasaki Ninja 250R :
RJO89 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-08-2008, 07:22 PM   #48
Buzz Box
Wheel Wally

I think i have to agree with someone above its almost like your talking 2 completely separate cars when u go auto or manual.

Since you drove manual you got a good car and it seems thats the way to go if your willing to do it yourself.

Now the fun begins haggling prices lol
Buzz Box is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-08-2008, 05:21 AM   #49
Mullett
Badly Focused

I think the roadnoise is largely down to the tyres, can anyone who's swapped them out back me up on that?

RM.

Old 30-08-2008, 11:11 AM   #50
waggaclint
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Yeah id agree with the tyres.... most cars are like that, i changed the wheels on my falcon and the new ones are louder hey....i found the road noise not too bad on the focus comparable with a toyota and mazda but it had base tyres on it hey...most people buy a tyre and wheel package and they normally come with cheap tyres....cheap normally means noisy...
Old 30-08-2008, 12:06 PM   #51
eXtremist
2007 Ford Focus Zetec

The tires are to blame for the road noise because they weren't designed for Australian roads?
eXtremist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-08-2008, 12:59 PM   #52
marg99
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The road noise on the TDCI is bad and worse on the courser sealed roads. I am told getting better tyres helps but the hatch does tend to make the noise worse.
marg99 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-08-2008, 06:09 PM   #53
RJO89
EuroFordClub

Quote:
Originally Posted by eXtremist
The tires are to blame for the road noise because they weren't designed for Australian roads?
Mine are aftermarket rims with different tyres :
And I think that the road noise has gotten worse since I put these tyres on!!!!

Far from stock... --- SOLD :

Now riding a 2009 Kawasaki Ninja 250R :
RJO89 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-08-2008, 06:36 PM   #54
waggaclint
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJO89
Mine are aftermarket rims with different tyres :
And I think that the road noise has gotten worse since I put these tyres on!!!!
it probably has what brand of tyres are they?? normally the lower profile are loader as well...
Old 31-08-2008, 12:38 AM   #55
klone

I traded up my BA wagon for my new Focus. Apart from a couple of build quality issues, I absolutely love it. It's tight around corners, it looks good and for a 4cyl auto, it's got more power than I ever imagined. I read about those saying that the autos are gutless etc. and I've actually driven a dealer loan car that was gutless, but mine is not like that. Maybe it's the way we ran it in, but mine is very responsive in all gears. Dont be discouraged by peoples bad experiences, because you'll get that with any model/make vehicle. Cant wait for the Aussie versions to come out. Should be just about ready to trade up by then!