Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 04-09-2013, 02:17 PM   #1
Tickman
Starter Motor

Default Indicator Combination

Hi All

I broke my indicator stalk while trying to remove my steering wheel. I have the replacement part but wouldnt have a clue on how to install the new switch and take the old broken one off. could somebody please help me out? i'd rather not pay some mug to do it if i can do it myself.

cheers

Tickman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-09-2013, 06:58 PM   #2
Bushbasher
When in doubt, GAS IT!!

Default Re: Indicator Combination

Welcome Tickman,
To get the indicator/wiper stalk unit off you need to first have the wheel off then there is the clock spring. This has all the cables that work the horn, airbag, and steering wheel controls. Once you have the clock spring out there are 4 screws holding the unit to the column. You need to push the indicator mechanism into the left and right active positions respectively to expose the screws. You also need to remove the column shroud to get to the cabling and plug. There are 4 screws (IIRC), to remove the shroud. Once the shroud is off and screws out, then you can follow the cabling from the unit down through the column to the plug down low underneath. Unplug it and gently manoeuvre the cable and plug up through the column and out and off. fitting the new one is a reverse of the above. All pretty straight forward once you have the airbag and wheel off. Good luck.

Bushbasher

HERS- BFIII Wagon Gold, alloys, dual fuel, bullbar, big tow pack, trans cooler, fully rebuilt HD suspension, Clarion, alarmed, full 2 1/2" sports system, mint body

MINE- AUII Forte
Meteorite, dual fuel but otherwise bog stock.

MINE- AUII Fairlane Sportsman Liquid Silver over meteorite,HIDs', Airhog, Eagle Leads, dual fuel, custom rear springs, BA slotted discs + a second one for spares

Bushbasher is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 09-09-2013, 05:41 PM   #3
Tickman
Starter Motor

Thanks Bushbasher

Any tips on getting the steering wheel off?
I've got the air bag, cruise and radio all removed I just can't budge the wheel. Have tried a cheap pulley and it still won't budge. Bit of WD40 into it and still wont budge. Tried using a hammer still wont budge.
Getting pretty close to just grinding the bastard off but figured I'd try here first

Sending me bonkers!

Cheers
Old 09-09-2013, 06:39 PM   #4
DartAUxr8

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Excellent article on AU IRS rebuild. 

Hi there i took one off on the weekend.

loosened bolt out a few threads.
used a hammer to hit the head of the bolt all way around while keeping some upward pressure on the underside of wheel with the knees.

came off a lot easier than i had thought.

hope you have as much luck as i did.
DartAUxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 09-09-2013, 07:00 PM   #5
Tickman
Starter Motor

Cheers DartAUxr8 will give it a crack after dinner tonight! Fingers crossed!
Old 09-09-2013, 09:23 PM   #6
Gaz
Got Ghia?

remember to keep the centre bolt partially in if your using brute force to remove it. Don't want you next post explaining a broken nose haha.

A puller really is best and I've never had a problem with one. Otherwise as above, use knees to keep upwards pressure on the wheel and just use your palm and hit the wheel from behind alternating left and right.
This user likes this post:
Old 10-09-2013, 08:29 PM   #7
Tickman
Starter Motor

GREAT SUCCESS!
Managed to beat the **** out of the centre bolt and BAM!
Even got the combination switch today!
Only issue was the connectors where the wrong size for the cabling on the combination ( The large black connector)
Going back to swap tomorrow morning but will hopefully have my baby back on the road before friday!

Thanks to you all for all your help
This user likes this post:
Old 11-09-2013, 02:17 PM   #8
Tickman
Starter Motor

UPDATE**
New combo fitted with out issues. New Wheel fitted with out issues.
Booked in tomorrow for RWC and Friday for Reg!
Cant wait to have it back!
Thanks to everyone for helping me out.
I'll post up some pics once ive tubbed her!

cheers