Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Focus

Old 07-10-2006, 11:32 PM   #1
20focus05
I wanna XR5

Default Fuel and mileage

Have many of you had probs with pinging? I have to run on 98ron to stop it
and at the moment I am on 8.4L/100 city driving. when I have done interstate I have got down to 6.4

20focus05 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-10-2006, 10:49 AM   #2
BlackLS

Quote:
Originally Posted by 20focus05
Have many of you had probs with pinging? I have to run on 98ron to stop it
and at the moment I am on 8.4L/100 city driving. when I have done interstate I have got down to 6.4
I'm hearing you. I have bad pinging, PULP gets rid of most of it, but even on 100ron fuel it'll ping on the uphills if you let off the accel and reapply briskly.

I normally range from 9.2 driving hard around the suburbs, 7.2 driving into work (20kmh crawling on the freeway uses little fuel!) and around 6.5-7.5 on normal speed freeway runs (6.5 at around 100kmh, 7.4 at around 125kmh). Average on a tank is around 8.4 like yours.
  Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-10-2006, 12:46 PM   #3
pertuan
Focus on my Focus

I'm still getting rather high usage. 10-10.5L/100km. I drive from Randwick to City everyday though... that probably has something to do with it. THe fact that I do short runs. Mind you, I don't drive like a grandma either so that probably doesnt help my mileage either.

Now normally when we have these races, Jeremy goes in the car and says "Powerrr" alot.... - James speaking about Jeremy (Top Gear S7 E05)

American parts... Russian parts... ALL MADE IN TAIWAN! - Russian guy in Armegeddon
pertuan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-10-2006, 01:02 PM   #4
JD2004

Yeah im getting 20L/100km

Ok i drive the XR5 very hard, but thats just the way life goes.

Luke
Old 08-10-2006, 07:42 PM   #5
Uni

i've been getting an average of 9.6, but thats on 91 RON (no pinging issues ) and doing mostly very short stops... i havent reset the fuel consumption in a while either, i tend to get better fuel consumption figures than mum does when she drives it

Uni/.
Uni is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-10-2006, 12:08 AM   #6
Pieoter
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

If you guys are pinging even running high octane fuel my guess would be your laboring the engine (Low rpm, high load). If this is the case shift down a gear laboring is bad bad bad.

In the focus I would get down to 5.8 on the highway (Using the trip computer)
Pieoter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-10-2006, 12:33 AM   #7
Stugots
2006 Focus LX Hatch

I filled it up for the first time yesterday and I'm around 9.5L/100kms. I remember the dealer saying it'll get better after about 10,000 when things loosen up more.

When I drove out of the showroom, the car had half a tank and I managed to get 300kms with 120kms of range left when I filled it up
Stugots is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-10-2006, 07:30 AM   #8
BlackLS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pieoter
If you guys are pinging even running high octane fuel my guess would be your laboring the engine (Low rpm, high load). If this is the case shift down a gear laboring is bad bad bad.

It'll ping at 4500rpm on pulp if uphill and i put the foot down...

Fuel pump problem.
Old 10-10-2006, 12:22 PM   #9
20focus05
I wanna XR5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pieoter

I'm up in the revs to like black is,
the weird thing is sometimes i go say in 3rd from 2k no pinging it then pings abit at around 3k then goes away.
Old 10-10-2006, 01:20 PM   #10
owens

Hey guys. Is pinging kind of like a rattle noise in the engine?

I get this when for example I'm going up a hill, 3rd gear around 60km's if I have the foot steady on the pedal no worries, but if I pump it a bit I get this rattle. Is that called pinging?
owens is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-10-2006, 07:57 PM   #11
Uni

yep... it means the fuel is detonating before the spark plug fires, usually a fair distance from TDC. its pretty bad for the engine if its allowed to continue, it fouls spark plugs, buggers pistons and bearings.. generally pretty bad

Uni/.
Old 10-10-2006, 09:31 PM   #12
owens

wow. I better get it checked out. I took it in to get looked at once but they said that they couldn't find anything... but it's been happening for a loooong time.
Old 10-10-2006, 10:26 PM   #13
20focus05
I wanna XR5

sound like squashing cellophane, crinkly
Old 10-10-2006, 11:01 PM   #14
Uni

realistically they cant do much for it, the problem is usually solved by using higher octane fuel

wat have u been running when it pings?

Uni/.
Old 11-10-2006, 12:12 AM   #15
owens

All i've run in it is premium unleaded or optimax., nothing below 95, but usually 98.
Old 11-10-2006, 12:44 AM   #16
Pieoter
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Something not right with everyone getting the pinging issue. You'd think Ford would have taken the test focus up a hill during development.
Pieoter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-10-2006, 12:54 AM   #17
BlackLS

On 91 ron it'll ping more than network adminstrator. (geeks will get it)
95 will do it mainly when putting a bit of load on the engine, lower than 4000rpm
98 wll be similar, but on uphills.
Only pings a few times on 100ron mainly on acents under load with 1/2 or less in the tank.
Old 11-10-2006, 09:32 AM   #18
plee

I've had pinging the couple of times running 91RON, no problems on 95RON, average 8.2l/100k fuel consumption, so am pretty happy with that.
Old 11-10-2006, 11:02 AM   #19
owens

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackLS
On 91 ron it'll ping more than network adminstrator. (geeks will get it)
95 will do it mainly when putting a bit of load on the engine, lower than 4000rpm
98 wll be similar, but on uphills.
Only pings a few times on 100ron mainly on acents under load with 1/2 or less in the tank.
That's funny... when I read your post I had 2 continuous pings going on my other monitor.

I haven't noticed if it happens more at a certain fuel level... but I'll keep an eye on it.
Old 11-10-2006, 01:40 PM   #20
Stugots
2006 Focus LX Hatch

Any chance it could be the way which it was run in? I'm trying to keep the revs above 2k in all gears and that sometimes means cruising at 70+ in 4th. Sure you'll use more fuel but allows for some variance through the revs and I think keeping a motor in it's optimal powerband (and it's kinda narrow on the focus) is good protection/wear in.
Old 12-10-2006, 10:02 AM   #21
More revs
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I just run this stuff

http://www.unitedpetroleum.com.au/index.asp?pgID=66

No trouble with pinging, and it's 4c / l cheaper than 91 RON.

I think the ethanol content improves combustion somehow because the car runs rich and fluffy on Optimax.

I see no noticable benefits from other 98 RON fuels either - I just keep coming back to Plus.
More revs is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-10-2006, 10:30 AM   #22
photn
AFF Post NAZI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stugots
Any chance it could be the way which it was run in? I'm trying to keep the revs above 2k in all gears and that sometimes means cruising at 70+ in 4th. Sure you'll use more fuel but allows for some variance through the revs and I think keeping a motor in it's optimal powerband (and it's kinda narrow on the focus) is good protection/wear in.
try for a week or so to Belt the ever loving crap out of it. then see if you get the pinging?

photn is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-10-2006, 01:59 PM   #23
whippet_zetec
Supes

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD2004
Yeah im getting 20L/100km

Ok i drive the XR5 very hard, but thats just the way life goes.

Luke
deadset thats about the same fuel consumption you get from a V8....lol.
Old 12-10-2006, 02:18 PM   #24
Stugots
2006 Focus LX Hatch

Quote:
Originally Posted by photn
try for a week or so to Belt the ever loving crap out of it. then see if you get the pinging?
Hmm, did I say my engine was pinging? But I do like your suggestion.
Old 12-10-2006, 03:04 PM   #25
Uni

this pinging problem is very curious indeed, has anyone tried speaking to Ford about it? im just thinking there may be a new ECU map out, which mine and a few other people (Stugots etc) got because their cars are only a few months old...

Uni/.
Old 12-10-2006, 03:18 PM   #26
photn
AFF Post NAZI

Quote:
Hmm, did I say my engine was pinging? But I do like your suggestion.
not you in particular, just a sujestion that may help.?

Old 13-10-2006, 03:38 AM   #27
Stugots
2006 Focus LX Hatch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uni
this pinging problem is very curious indeed, has anyone tried speaking to Ford about it? im just thinking there may be a new ECU map out, which mine and a few other people (Stugots etc) got because their cars are only a few months old...

Uni/.
Possibly. My build date was april 06 from memory if anyone wants to take that as reference.

I had a good chance to test it today coming out of the Bondi Junction Westfield's carpark going up the ramp under load, no knocking that I could hear and tank is a bit under half full.

Couple more things I've noticed, clutch is very twitchy, like it's either in or out. I don't know if the springs stretch over time making it more forgiving but it's hard to get a nice friction point with alot of play if you know what i mean.

also, the handbrake should be on the drivers side.

and what's that cavity in the dash below the steering column to the right? what can you put in there?

Off to the RTA to get my Euro plates at lunch time
Old 13-10-2006, 09:38 AM   #28
photn
AFF Post NAZI

Quote:
Possibly. My build date was april 06 from memory if anyone wants to take that as reference.

I had a good chance to test it today coming out of the Bondi Junction Westfield's carpark going up the ramp under load, no knocking that I could hear and tank is a bit under half full.

Couple more things I've noticed, clutch is very twitchy, like it's either in or out. I don't know if the springs stretch over time making it more forgiving but it's hard to get a nice friction point with alot of play if you know what i mean.

and what's that cavity in the dash below the steering column to the right? what can you put in there?

at 230 in the morning i doubt the RTA is open lol. and its not lunch just yet hehehehe.

Old 13-10-2006, 10:46 AM   #29
Stugots
2006 Focus LX Hatch

Quote:
Originally Posted by photn
at 230 in the morning i doubt the RTA is open lol. and its not lunch just yet hehehehe.
Hehe, Yeah I was going to say 'tomorrow' but that would technically be Saturday. I'm sure most others knew what I meant.
Old 13-10-2006, 10:57 AM   #30
BlackLS

Quote:

Good you have no pinging.

Clutch just need to be broken in a bit. The pedal being so soft doesn't help.

I'd rather it where it is, its in the perfect position for me ergonomically. If it was on the drivers side itd be too crampt to do handbrakies.

That cavity is good for putting your wallet in I find. Its meant for the Ford diagnostics plug as it would look a bit crap for the plug to be sitting on a flat surface of the dash. It can't be under the dash coz it'll get in the way of the pedals

Congrats on the euro plates