Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Closed Thread

Old 24-06-2008, 09:07 PM   #91
ebxr8240
Performance moderator

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical advice. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by T1TS50#04
If you did fight the fine and loose it will cost you more then 110, but however if you won the law would have to be scraped.
Might be so ?? But the constabulary is tied up in court too..
Dart 330ci block turbo black pearl EBXR8 482 rwkw..
Daily driver GTE FG..
Projects http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=107711
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...8+turbo&page=4
Old 24-06-2008, 09:09 PM   #92
ebxr8240
Performance moderator

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical advice. 

Motor bikes are far safer with lights on..
Dart 330ci block turbo black pearl EBXR8 482 rwkw..
Daily driver GTE FG..
Projects http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=107711
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...8+turbo&page=4
Old 24-06-2008, 09:34 PM   #93
dave289
Banned

You see too many nobheads driving around in broad daylight with there fog lights on.Not only is it against the law,annoying and dangerous to other drivers in some situations, it has no improvement on your driving visability in any way whatsoever.All this shows is some wenka is just trying to say "look at me I think im unreal".What else could it be?

ABOUT TIME THEY ENFORCED COMMON SENSE HOPE THEY START TO FINE DOPES WHO HANG IN THE RIGHT LANE ON FREEWAYS AND HIGHWAYS TOO.
Old 24-06-2008, 09:40 PM   #94
Bobman
Regulator

Daytime (clear weather) - yeah, give the fines out.

Night time- who cares?

The Commodore/Calais/SS/BMW/Honda Accord Blue "standard" headlights are more distracting than any fog light I've ever seen !!!

Current Cars:
2000 AU2 Fairmont (2019-current)
2003 BA1 Falcon Divvy Van (2017-current)
2009 VW Mk6 Golf 118TSi (2020-current)
Previous Cars:
2003 MCX10R Avalon VXi (2017-2020)
1995 EF1 Falcon GLi (2016-2019)
1997 XH2 Falcon Van OPT20 (2016-2019)
2006 BF Fairlane Ghia (2013-2018)
2001 AU3 Futura (2010-2013)
1996 EL Fairmont (2008-2010)
2004 BA XR6 (2005-2008)
2001 AU2 Forte (2005-2006)
1988 EA Fairmont Ghia (2003-2005)
1984 AR Telstar TX5 Ghia (2001-2005)
Old 24-06-2008, 09:40 PM   #95
burnz
VFII SS UTE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abacus
Yep. I discovered this a while ago. It works better than any fog lights ever will.
discovered this by accident the missus said can you see where your going, i looked at her like WTF.
lifted the sunny's and oh thick as, Mt victoria
Old 24-06-2008, 10:28 PM   #96
timace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobman
The Commodore/Calais/SS/BMW/Honda Accord Blue "standard" headlights are more distracting than any fog light I've ever seen !!!
Agreed, they're horrible any time of day or night.
Old 24-06-2008, 10:33 PM   #97
Abacus
Life's a Gas

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnz
discovered this by accident the missus said can you see where your going, i looked at her like WTF.
lifted the sunny's and oh thick as, Mt victoria
Ha!!, I discovered it not far from there, on the Portland/Wallerawang road, half way between Lithgow and Bathurst. 5:30 in the morning and a real pea-souper. I put the sunnies on as an experiment - and suddenly I could see the road!!.
Old 24-06-2008, 11:57 PM   #98
devilcv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcon Coupe
There have been many threads on this, it's illegal to have them on except in fog.
This is the first case i have heard of actual enforcement.
actually it is "hazardous weather conditions" which covers fog, rain etc.
Old 25-06-2008, 12:36 AM   #99
prof-rabbit

Quote:
Originally Posted by pejamas
When the rain is that bad that i have whippers on full blast and still cant see? don't really see how that's "stupid" to have the lights on so i can see somewhat better. I don't see how my opinion is worth squat and yours is though..

Edit: Actually even the lady cop that breath tested me said it was a bit harsh after he walked off?

Ill take the fine and cop it on the chin, just think in the circumstances its a bit harsh.
If the rain is that bad it's time to pull over for safety, fog lights or otherwise, in Adelaide we have hoons running around in Jap imports with lights blazing in the city, still, a warning would have been more appropriate.
Old 25-06-2008, 12:43 AM   #100
prof-rabbit

Quote:
Quote:
gay ef ell, the only game you get a point for a miss.

TadKa You must really hate darts.
One more game.. Horse shoes, two points for a "ringer" and one point for a "leaner"

Old 25-06-2008, 12:45 AM   #101
GSH
AU2 XR8

heaps of people put fog lights on to try and looks cool...there a pain in the ***...and there becoming as gay as having a METAL MULISHA sticker on your car IMO

PERTH W.A

0406 553 226
Old 25-06-2008, 01:42 AM   #102
kosmoe
kosmoe

id have to say they are a pain in the ***... sorry pejama's no disrespect to you just to the lights lol in foggy conditions i put the highbeams on and its worse all your doing with brighter light is lighting up the fog more not seeing through it and rain i dont see where that works but its true the cops are dogs at times
Old 25-06-2008, 02:03 AM   #103
Hybrid34
|AFordEd|

Quote:
Originally Posted by russellw
ADR13 defines a Fog Lamp thus:

2.7.18. "Front for lamp" means the lamp used to improve the illumination of the
road in case of fog, snowfall, rainstorms or dust-clouds;

This definition is reaffirmed in the Road Safety (Vehicles) Regulations (1997-2007) as amended.

For those who wish to read the full ADR applicable (ADR50) there is a copy in the Technical area - it goes into some extensive detail about how they are to be placed, the spread of illumination and the type of reflector to be used. They make terribly boring reading.

The Australian Road Rules (2007) further defines the requirements for their use as thus:

217 Using fog lights

(1) The driver of a vehicle fitted with front fog lights or rear fog lights must not operate the fog light unless the driver is driving in fog or other hazardous weather conditions causing reduced visibility.
Offence provision.

(2) In this rule:
front fog light means a light (other than a headlight) fitted to the front of a vehicle to improve illumination of the road in fog, snowfall, heavy rain or dust clouds.

Note that these are not yet mandatory for adoption in all States although it is the intention of the NCOP process to provide for uniform regulation across all States.

Cheers
Russ
Does this mean your allowed to have them on if its raining hard?, and what would you clarify has heavy rain before you can get booked?
Its another stupid law that is enforced and cannot be well monitored correctly....'what do you classify as a fog light', 'is there enough rain to have them on'..
3:4:5 LSD diff
JMM Extractors
2.5" Stainless Steel highflow cat
2.5" Exhaust
T5 transmission
Front Slotted rotors
Lowered on Pedders Sports Ryders
....and a cherry scented airfreshner

Speed determines how fast you hit the Traffic Light....Power determines how far you take it with you.
Old 25-06-2008, 10:16 AM   #104
Fev
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

OK.

who cares if lights are on during the day. i drive with my parkers, sometimes my headlights on during the day all the time. if i had foglights i wouldnt bother during the day though, it does look stupid - BUT i cant understand how it would dazzle you - are you supersensitive to light? maybe you shouldnt be driving...

During the night. Foglights are never brighter then HID's and headlights. ive never seen them brighter unless they are the aftermarket big 4WD/rally style ones which are like 100w+ and like an extra sun...

so the problem is just officers discretion.. when to use them and when not to use them is all up to them and they will fine you for it if they want.
and no, just because you think they look stupid when people have them on a night doesnt mean it should be illegal.. if that was the case i think the government would be a bit richer by now with all the god damn frangipani stickers..
Old 25-06-2008, 11:00 AM   #105
james22
With da Warlords

^^^^ Hehe good point. Specially those damn stickers.

I mean really, when it comes down to it, if a police officer doesn't like your attitude, car, look on your face, it doesnt matter what... Then really they can, and will find something wrong with your vehicle. I mean I had one go over my car like a toothpick, couldn't find anything obvious wrong with it (battery insecure, bald tyres) so the booked me for "excessive seat movement". I swear that my fathers brand new ghia had more movement in the seat than my car, but its not the point. If they want ya, they'll get ya for something

For Sale: Parachute. Only used once, never opened, small stain.

Windsor Warlords
AU III XR-8220
300+ rwhp of Manual fun

XR50T Ute - 300rwkw (give or take depending on the day)
Old 25-06-2008, 11:13 AM   #106
tex
Broken

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: With the exception of maybe HSE2, nobody writes a review like Texy. 

Are people confusing fog lights for driving lights aka spot lights????

Fog lights ARE NOT bright.

If you find fog lights bright, you need to check your eyes for a sensitivity issue.

I drive with my headlights on when on the highway................ my car is black, road is black, sky is often grey, AND I WANT TO GIVE THE SPUD NOT WATCHING WHERE THEY ARE GOING EVERY CHANCE TO SEE ME......................

Getting booked for being easy to see by other road users seems absurd.

I repeat, Fog lights are not bright (bright lights don't work in fog!!!!!!!!!!!!) so all you nah sayers.............. what's ya point???????????????????????????????????????

11.4 @ 128, 1.88 60ft.
Old 25-06-2008, 11:35 AM   #107
Abacus
Life's a Gas

Quote:
Originally Posted by tex
Are people confusing fog lights for driving lights aka spot lights????

Fog lights ARE NOT bright.

If you find fog lights bright, you need to check your eyes for a sensitivity issue.

I drive with my headlights on when on the highway................ my car is black, road is black, sky is often grey, AND I WANT TO GIVE THE SPUD NOT WATCHING WHERE THEY ARE GOING EVERY CHANCE TO SEE ME......................

Getting booked for being easy to see by other road users seems absurd.

I repeat, Fog lights are not bright (bright lights don't work in fog!!!!!!!!!!!!) so all you nah sayers.............. what's ya point???????????????????????????????????????
The point is, their use in non-hazardous conditions is illegal. What part of that don't you understand?

I drive with my headlights on too, for the same reasons you noted. My car is Ego, and I know it's hard to see, particularly if the road is shdowed with trees and so forth. Headlights are not illegal. Problem solved.

So, knowing full well that the use of fog lights in non-hazardous conditions is illegal, why not use the legal option instead? If the OP had just had his headlights on and no foggies, he wouldn't have been booked. Simple.

His argument that it had been raining heavily at some earlier point doesn't help his case one bit. It wasn't raining heavily when he got booked. He should have tuned them off whern the conditions no longer warranted their use. Again, simple.
Old 25-06-2008, 01:01 PM   #108
Rodp
Regular Schmuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fev
OK.

who cares if lights are on during the day. i drive with my parkers, sometimes my headlights on during the day all the time. if i had foglights i wouldnt bother during the day though, it does look stupid - BUT i cant understand how it would dazzle you - are you supersensitive to light? maybe you shouldnt be driving...
I shouldn't be driving because someone else's poorly adjusted fog lights (that are illegal to use in good driving conditions) dazzle me?

I've seen you say some stupid things, but that one takes the cake.
Old 25-06-2008, 01:19 PM   #109
nikkoli
BA Fairmont Ghia 04

If you put your fog lights on and there's no fog, you're just a try hard .
Old 25-06-2008, 01:20 PM   #110
nikkoli
BA Fairmont Ghia 04

Hmmm...I did put the word W###er on the end of that sentence but it was automatically edited out.
Old 25-06-2008, 01:22 PM   #111
Fev
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Ok i havn't taken into account the fact that some people's fog lights need to be adjusted my mistake. but then again - Most peoples driving lights are poorly adjusted.

my point was - If your eyes are blinded by a driving/foglight whatever the hell you wanna call them - maybe you shouldnt be driving at night since normal headlights are 99% of the time alot brighter and HID headlights are even worse!
Old 25-06-2008, 01:26 PM   #112
xy500
Constant annoyance

fog lights are a hazard!
driving at night and someone has their fog lights on they will dazzle you, especially on a country road (ie, not in west sydney), because they point up into the oncoming cars eyes, rather than down on the road. so it doesn't matter that they are no brighter than your headlights, its the angle they point at, just like normal headlights dazzle you as a car comes over a hill crest and you are below them.

i'm bloody glad its illegal cos its a pain in the losing your night vision all because some tool can't be bothered turning his fog lights off!
Old 25-06-2008, 01:41 PM   #113
Silver Ghia
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: As Silver Ghia his contributions to the AU and BA technical areas have been of high quality and valuable to the member base. 

Having fog lights on in your car at night makes it more difficult to see objects further in the distance toward the end of the main beam. Its because there's more light concentrated nearer your car and your eyes adjust more to that brighter light, so its more difficult to see further away.

Even worse when its raining, as more light is reflected back by the rain.

I see so many cars (mainly so called SUV's) with their fog lights on driving along the freeway sticking religiously to just below the speed limit, thinking they are driving safely - WRONG. They should be booked.
Old 25-06-2008, 01:41 PM   #114
Abacus
Life's a Gas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fev
Ok i havn't taken into account the fact that some people's fog lights need to be adjusted my mistake. but then again - Most peoples driving lights are poorly adjusted.

my point was - If your eyes are blinded by a driving/foglight whatever the hell you wanna call them - maybe you shouldnt be driving at night since normal headlights are 99% of the time alot brighter and HID headlights are even worse!
I agree entirely with Rodp's comments above, where he said:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodp
I shouldn't be driving because someone else's poorly adjusted fog lights (that are illegal to use in good driving conditions) dazzle me?

I've seen you say some stupid things, but that one takes the cake.
The fact is, regardless of how you put it, fog lights dazzle people more than regular head lights. Maybe it's the way they are installed, or maybe its the way they are designed. I don't know and I don't care. The SIMPLE fact is they are illegal, except in very limited circumstances. So don't use them, and you won't get booked.
Old 25-06-2008, 01:46 PM   #115
tex
Broken

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: With the exception of maybe HSE2, nobody writes a review like Texy. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by xy500
fog lights are a hazard!
driving at night and someone has their fog lights on they will dazzle you, especially on a country road (ie, not in west sydney), because they point up into the oncoming cars eyes, rather than down on the road. so it doesn't matter that they are no brighter than your headlights, its the angle they point at, just like normal headlights dazzle you as a car comes over a hill crest and you are below them.

i'm bloody glad its illegal cos its a pain in the losing your night vision all because some tool can't be bothered turning his fog lights off!

FOG LIGHTS as fitted to late model cars don't dazzle anything. Bloody HID equipped cars do. make them illegal.

They (foglights) have weak as puss globes and point at the bloody ground! Well at least they have in the two rexes Ive owned, and the last two Falcons. My other cars have not had them.

Oh, and holy moly it's illegal, well, that would make it something worthy of $100 fine..... bullcrap!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Revinue for the GOV!!!!! That's it.

I am happy to see a dark coloured car from 1000m away on a dark day on the highway............. and if it's because it has it's foglights on, good on em...

What should be illegal is DRIVING LIGHTS on - aka SPOT LIGHTS. There's a world of difference.

11.4 @ 128, 1.88 60ft.
Old 25-06-2008, 01:46 PM   #116
bdave351
R u a Fogwit or a HIDiot?

God I hope they start handing out fines for this in Sydney.

They could remove all fixed speed cameras in a week with the revenue they would make from this...............
Old 25-06-2008, 02:07 PM   #117
Abacus
Life's a Gas

Quote:
Originally Posted by tex
FOG LIGHTS as fitted to late model cars don't dazzle anything. Bloody HID equipped cars do. make them illegal.

They (foglights) have weak as puss globes and point at the bloody ground! Well at least they have in the two rexes Ive owned, and the last two Falcons. My other cars have not had them.
As numerous other have said in this thread, foglights do dazzle. Maybe it's the way they are installed, or maybe its the way they are designed. I don't know and I don't care.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tex
Oh, and holy moly it's illegal, well, that would make it something worthy of $100 fine..... bullcrap!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Revinue for the GOV!!!!! That's it.
Yes,the revenue does go to the government. And the fine is more than $100. You are correct on both counts. If you understand this, why drive with foglights, unless you like handing your hard-earned money to the government?. If you must use lights, use parkers or headlights instead, and you won't get booked.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tex
I am happy to see a dark coloured car from 1000m away on a dark day on the highway............. and if it's because it has it's foglights on, good on em...
They can also use headlights. They will still be seen, it's legal, and they won't get booked.

As I said above, I have a dark coloured car, and I drive with my headlights on, particularly in the country. All car's have headlights. I don't see the need to use fog lights, particularly in clear non-hazardous conditions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tex
What should be illegal is DRIVING LIGHTS on - aka SPOT LIGHTS. There's a world of difference.
Yes there is a world of difference. Spot lights turn off when low beam is selected. Fog lights don't.

Driving lights also aid safety by dramatically improving driving conditions where they are warranted, such as country driving. They improve and complement the vision otherwise provded by headlights. As long as people with driving lights dip them when they are coming towards me I don't have aproblem with them. If they don't dip them, I have no sympathy for them if they get booked.

Fog lights don't do anything better than normal headlights, except for a very narrow range of hazardous circumstances. If their use is confined to that narrow range of hazardous circumstances. I don't have a problem with them. If they use them outside that narrow range of hazardous conditions, I have no sympathy for them if they get booked.
Old 25-06-2008, 02:08 PM   #118
Abacus
Life's a Gas

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdave351
God I hope they start handing out fines for this in Sydney.

They could remove all fixed speed cameras in a week with the revenue they would make from this...............

Agree 100%
Old 25-06-2008, 02:13 PM   #119
tex
Broken

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abacus
As numerous other have said in this thread, foglights do dazzle. Maybe it's the way they are installed, or maybe its the way they are designed. I don't know and I don't care.

Yes,the revenue does go to the government. And the fine is more than $100. You are correct on both counts. If you understand this, why drive with foglights, unless you like handing your hard-earned money to the government?. If you must use lights, use parkers or headlights instead, and you won't get booked.

They can also use headlights. They will still be seen, it's legal, and they won't get booked.

As I said above, I have a dark coloured car, and I drive with my headlights on, particularly in the country. All car's have headlights. I don't see the need to use fog lights, particularly in clear non-hazardous conditions.

Yes there is a world of difference. Spot lights turn off when low beam is selected. Fog lights don't.

Driving lights also aid safety by dramatically improving driving conditions where they are warranted, such as country driving. They improve and complement the vision otherwise provded by headlights. As long as people with driving lights dip them when they are coming towards me I don't have aproblem with them. If they don't dip them, I have no sympathy for them if they get booked.

Fog lights don't do anything better than normal headlights, except for a very narrow range of hazardous circumstances. If their use is confined to that narrow range of hazardous circumstances. I don't have a problem with them. If they use them outside that narrow range of hazardous conditions, I have no sympathy for them if they get booked.

Well, I can;t be bothered continuing this, so, I guess you win.

10 Points for your detailed break down of my post, you've got more motivation than me on this issue.

I don't drive with fogs on btw, never have I said I do, just that it is a nonesense that people reckon they get dazzled by fog lights.

11.4 @ 128, 1.88 60ft.
Old 25-06-2008, 02:13 PM   #120
Mark s
1.3 Litre Suzuki power

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebxr8240
Motor bikes are far safer with lights on..

Are they really?

I guess the people who have pulled out in front me over the past 2 years & 40,000 k's in Sydney must me headlight blind. The amount of times it has happened would be in the 100's.

On the times where I have fortune enough to pull up next to someone who has pulled out in front of me, they have said they never saw me. I have heard the same thing from many riders who have been near killed on the roads.

EF 4lt 1995 in Green on LPG. To and from work hack.

XY Fairmont 1971 in Bronze Wine, 302, Top Loader, 9" Still trying to find out if she is a GS or plain jane Monty.

Mustang 1966 coupe, Silver frost, A code, C4, factory bench seat, A/C, P/S rally pac, AM radio with 8 track. Awaiting funds for resto.

K6 Hayabusa....Dead Stock and why would one need to spend thousands on mods.................
Closed Thread