Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 27-06-2014, 11:35 PM   #1
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Post 'Phone Tax Scam..Warning from ATO

"Malicious phone scam targets taxpayers

27 June 2014

The ATO is warning Australians to be on the lookout for a malicious scam that intimidates taxpayers into paying a fake tax debt over the phone.

“This scam is particularly concerning because it threatens taxpayers with legal action or arrest if they do not immediately hand over money and their personal financial details over the phone,” said ATO Chief Technology Officer Todd Heather.

“As tax time approaches, scammers are becoming more cunning in their attempts to defraud the public and trick them into handing over money, their TFN or other personal information.

“We encourage people to contact us if they are worried they may have fallen victim to a scam call, email, SMS or a face-to-face scam,” Mr Heather said.

From time-to-time the ATO will send taxpayers emails, SMS messages or official social media updates alerting them to new services. Our messages will never request personal or financial information by SMS or email.

If people receive a call from the ATO and are concerned about providing their personal information over the phone, they should ask for the caller’s name and phone them back through the ATO’s switchboard on 13 28 69. If people think they may have fallen victim to a phone scam, contact the ATO on 1800 060 062 (8.00am–6.00pm, Monday to Friday).

Since 1 March 2014 the ATO has seen a spike in reports from the public of email and phishing scams from 9,368 to 11,344 compared with the same period last year.

To increase community awareness of scams the ATO has launched a new video campaign on ato.gov.au/identitycrime with helpful tips to protect personal information.

Information on online security and scams can be found on ato.gov.au/onlinesecurity."

Old 09-07-2014, 10:02 AM   #2
2011G6E
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: 'Phone Tax Scam..Warning from ATO

I believe I got an email last year from the "ATO" saying I had sent in my etax return with the wrong tax file number, so could I please fill out online and reply to them with my correct details please.

I was kind of tipped off it just possibly could be a scam because I still hadn't at that time even recieved my group certificate and all my tax stuff was sitting on the desk, not done yet...
2011G6E is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-07-2014, 10:24 AM   #3
Nova 8

'Legal action or arrest' pffft, if its not in registered mail or being given to me in person I'm not interested.

Honestly you should know if you are doing something dodgy that will cause the ATO to be interested in, odds are they won't call you and threaten arrest but rather turn up and arrest you. If someone contacts you with debt that you can't recall or doesn't seem to fit never act immediately.
Old 12-07-2014, 03:06 PM   #4
ILLaViTaR
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

lol good on em... the corrupt fools.

If only they would get all OUR money back from google and Apple.
Old 12-07-2014, 03:47 PM   #5
Bucknaked
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Sweet. Hope they call me. I've got my footy horn ready for a blast through the receiver. Let's see how they go with a burst ear drum.
Bucknaked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post