Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 26-04-2013, 06:49 PM   #1
Rodge
Banned

Default A380 Air Travel - As good as the hype suggests ?

Long range plan to have a world trip and wondering if you've had experience with long haul travel on the A380 and am especially interested if you've noticed its a much more comfortable environment than earlier generation aircraft ?

A380 claims include amoung other things:-
1. Cabin Pressure = 5,000 ft altitude, signifcantly kinder on the body than regular cabin pressure equilivent to 8,000 ft altitude. (I have a client who used to be head Purser on Air New Zealand 747's and he told me that typically people's heart's beat 15% faster at the standard 8,000 ft cabin pressure and when this happens for hours and hours and hours on end that's a key reason for travel fatigue).

2. Approx 50% quieter noise level's than a Boeing 747-400.

3. Better level's of air humidity.

Would love to travel First Class BUT priced up a return trip to London from Auckland on Emirates A380 and it was just over $14,000 per person return Safe to say that's out so we'll be planning to make do in cattle class.

If anyone would like to share their travel experience on the A380 and how it compares to other aircraft I'm all ears.

Is it worth paying extra for ? Typical cattle class to London from N.Z. is ~ $2,500 depending on season, but any airline using the A380 tends to be towards the upper end of the price spectrum.

Rodge is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-04-2013, 07:05 PM   #2
cs123
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Can't think of anyone more deserving. Russ Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For all the technical support behind the scenes. Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Technical submission 
Default Re: A380 Air Travel - As good as the hype suggests ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodge View Post
Is it worth paying extra for ? Typical cattle class to London from N.Z. is ~ $2,500 depending on season, but any airline using the A380 tends to be towards the upper end of the price spectrum.
Is it worth spending that extra cash for 20 hours of your life? While business class is great on international when I'm paying for my own ticket I cannot justify the extra $$$

The old 747 are noisy as hell compared to the new aircraft.
Old 26-04-2013, 07:11 PM   #3
rancidpunx
FPV GTR

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: For technical contribution to all things car-care related. And helping/advising forum members with the best possible information. 

I have done London to Dubai a couple of times with Emirates on an A380. First time the plane was next to a 747 at the next gate and its massive in comparison.
Take off is really quite smooth given its size. Cattle class has no differences compared to other planes really. Its still cramped as airlines still want to cram as many people in as possible. Some airlines are better that others, I hate Qantas 747s, they are really tight. There is still a drone from the engines although it could be slightly quieter.
If you can stretch to Premium Economy with Emirates that might be an option. Not quite the full blown First experience but their PE is pretty sweet. If its going to be economy just pick the price with a decent airline. For me I will always pick Virgin Atlantic, Emirate, Singapore or Cathay. All deliver first class service with a smile, great entertainment choice and decent food. I also like Air NZ when hoping over the Tasman but never gone with them long haul. I dislike Qantas and I am hoping their new partnership with Emirates is not going mean code sharing, book with Emirates but fly Qantas.
- Veridian Green PJ Ranger XLT -
The Work Truck

rancidpunx is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old 26-04-2013, 07:14 PM   #4
Rodge
Banned

Thanks and no its pretty debateable and doubtful i'd go there, I looked at business class air fares too. Seems you pay about $6,000 extra, (over an economy seat), for a return trip to London of circa 55 hours travel depending on route. That's over $100 per hour more to be more comfortable.

OTOH a return economy class trip to London on an A380 seems to be circa $500 more than a typical 747 or 777 aircraft type. Seems like money that could be well spent to me ?
Old 26-04-2013, 07:18 PM   #5
Rodge
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by rancidpunx View Post
I have done London to Dubai a couple of times with Emirates on an A380. First time the plane was next to a 747 at the next gate and its massive in comparison.
Take off is really quite smooth given its size. Cattle class has no differences compared to other planes really. Its still cramped as airlines still want to cram as many people in as possible. Some airlines are better that others, I hate Qantas 747s, they are really tight. There is still a drone from the engines although it could be slightly quieter.
If you can stretch to Premium Economy with Emirates that might be an option. Not quite the full blown First experience but their PE is pretty sweet. If its going to be economy just pick the price with a decent airline. For me I will always pick Virgin Atlantic, Emirate, Singapore or Cathay. All deliver first class service with a smile, great entertainment choice and decent food. I also like Air NZ when hoping over the Tasman but never gone with them long haul. I dislike Qantas and I am hoping their new partnership with Emirates is not going mean code sharing, book with Emirates but fly Qantas.
Thanks for that much appreciated. I'll look into the premium economy aspect of this. Is it my imagination or has the bar gone up on these aircraft. From what I've heard premium economy is effectivly the old business class, business class is the old first class and the new first class with sleeper seats and your own cocoon is another level altogether in travel. Is that fair comment do you think ?
Old 26-04-2013, 08:01 PM   #6
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Been on the 380 a few times, didn't pay more, was just the default plane for that leg.

You do notice the little differences, mainly space.

Did a 12hr stint with no entertainment with Emirates... They could have moved us but chose not to. Not even a sorry. Was painful, staring at a blank screen.. I can't sleep on a plane, was bored as all buggery...

I've been around the world a couple of times or maybe more.......
Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-04-2013, 08:09 PM   #7
rancidpunx
FPV GTR

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: For technical contribution to all things car-care related. And helping/advising forum members with the best possible information. 

Unfortunately you dont generally get to see First Class unless you pay for it (or get lucky at check-in). But its a fair comment. You also get the luxury of bars and spas in first now too when it comes to the A380. Most flights us paupers get to stroll through Premium and some airlines definitely do it better.
The Work Truck

Old 26-04-2013, 09:14 PM   #8
TC200six
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Next time I go on an international flight, I hope to fly in an A380 just to find out how quiet they are inside. The two trips I've been on had 747s and they are freaking loud! I don't know how people around me were sleeping so easily while I was just sitting there.

Qantas list what routes use the A380s http://www.qantas.com.au/travel/airl...dule/global/en There is a high chance I might go to America again one day, so I'll fly Qantas.
TC200six is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 26-04-2013, 09:15 PM   #9
Rodge
Banned

So I went onto the Emirates website.

Economy to London in November is $3,204 incl taxes.
Business Class is $11,732 incl taxes...ouch...both fares A380 all the way and back, stop-over in Dubai which would suit us fine one way but would prefer Vancouver on the way back.. No premium economy appears to be on offer ex N.Z. on Emirates.

Cheapest fare I've seen on the travel sites today for November travel is on Malaysian airlines. They use a 777-200ER on the N.Z. to Kuala Lumpar leg but an A380 on the Kuala Lumpar to London legs, only $2,100 That's pretty cheap

BTW I went on to a hotel site for London accomodation.
Today's most amusing price you'll read on here Two weeks in a top suite at the Savoy Hotel (Five Stars of course) $54,000 Kiwi on special
Pretty sure we'll make do with something more modest

Last edited by Rodge; 26-04-2013 at 09:22 PM.
Old 26-04-2013, 09:23 PM   #10
usernametaken
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

777 are still a very good plane to fly in better that the 747 IMHO

If you can go an A380 then do it. It's hands above anything else.

You do get more space between you and the chair in front in your chair width and depth.

Re: First Class - The amount of room you have is nothing short of amazing, however business almost gives you the same width just without the screening privacy.
usernametaken is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-04-2013, 09:31 PM   #11
Jastel
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Has much experience with taxis and always jumps on here to explain things simply and help out the new guys in B-series and Contemporary... 

Book econ or premium econ and request an upgrade via points, if you have some.
You may get lucky. Booking mid week, non school holidays etc will increase your chances, as will being a higher status member of whatever airline.
Have done business class Qantas A380 to the states twice, its another planet. Called by name, better food, real cutlery and the main thing fully flat skybeds.
Business class 747 has the same lay flat skybed seats now, just the older planes.

There are websites like seatguru and Australian Frequent Flyer that can give you lots of tips of the best seats etc...even if you have to do economy.

Another option is to break the trip for a day or two in the middle east or Asia.
Jastel is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-04-2013, 09:36 PM   #12
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Yep, I always stay a few days in Dubai when stopping over. Very worth it if you have never been.

Old 26-04-2013, 09:43 PM   #13
cheap
Wirlankarra yanama

A good pair of noise cancelling headphones (and spare fresh batteries) is all you need. Even the Dash 8 which I fly weekly has become tolerable.
cheap is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-04-2013, 09:54 PM   #14
Rodge
Banned

http://www.emirates.com/nz/English/f...rst_class.aspx

Looks absolutly amazing. Priced that up...I'd get just on $100 change from $30,000 for the two of us return....just as well websites and dreams are free
Old 26-04-2013, 10:04 PM   #15
Madaya
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The few times I've flown, I've been lucky enough to grab the seats next to the emergency, over wing exit. Wow, the extra several inches leg room totally alters the flight experience.
My worst trip was on a 340 from Dubai to Perth. Centre seating, second from the isle, with the leg room restricted by the forward seats bracing and the pillar that carries the ancillary gear for the seat entertainment units and etc. Being a six footer, I was stuffed.
Plane was chockers, so no chance of grabbing a spare seat.
Story...
My Dad always said, if it wasn't for Cattle Class, the plane wouldn't fly.
I know those people up front are paying extra for extra, but take the Cattle out of the plane, and they could not afford to fly them. Dad says, when it comes to air travel, you are all in the same 'boat' if things get pear shaped.
Paul Stoddart tried to start up a business class only airline in Oz. It failed within months.
Maybe someone should try a Premium Cattle Class flight, hell, you only need about 15cms more legroom and everyone would be happy.
Sorry about the teeny rant.
Madaya is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-04-2013, 10:05 PM   #16
Danny
GT4.

I'd be happy on a 330-340, a 777, or a 380.

All (but Lufthansa) who use 747's or still have them left are rocking the last gen 747-400, most of which will be getting on 20 years old now. Correct me if wrong.

A Lufthansa 747-8I I would love to try out to see what they've done with the old girl
Danny is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-04-2013, 10:14 PM   #17
BennyH

I was lucky enough to travel business on my mums extensive frequent flier points from Melbourne to America, this was with the sky bed seating. It was good, but Jesus wouldn't spend my hard earned on a comfier seat to sit in for a flight. Flew back economy and slept just as well on the trip there (with a few cheeky whiskys of course). Premium economy would be an ideal upgrade for the price.

2010 XR6 Ute Nitro Blue Bluepower XCAL3 tune,
Di Filippo headers + high flow cat, X Force stainless cat back,20% Powerbond underdrive,
Growler CAI, Herrod lowered suspension package,
19'' Dark Argents w/ 36mm rear spacers, DBA T2 slotted rotors, Pursuit Side Skirts, EGR Under Spoiler
BennyH is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-04-2013, 10:20 PM   #18
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
Two weeks in a top suite at the Savoy Hotel (Five Stars of course) $54,000 Kiwi on special
Does that include a continental breakfast as well ?
Old 26-04-2013, 10:25 PM   #19
GK
Walking with God

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Never been on a 380, but have a mate who flies them for QANTAS. He says that they are so, so much better to fly than a 747, really stable and sweet handling for such a large aircraft.

GK

2015 Kia Sorento Platinum - Snow White Pearl

2001 Ducati Monster 900Sie - Red

Now gone!
1999 AU1 Futura Wagon - Sparkling Burgundy
On LPG

Want a Full Life? John 10:10
GK is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-04-2013, 11:24 PM   #20
rancidpunx
FPV GTR

Quote:
So I went onto the Emirates website.

Economy to London in November is $3,204 incl taxes.
Business Class is $11,732 incl taxes...ouch...both fares A380 all the way and back, stop-over in Dubai which would suit us fine one way but would prefer Vancouver on the way back.. No premium economy appears to be on offer ex N.Z. on Emirates.

Cheapest fare I've seen on the travel sites today for November travel is on Malaysian airlines. They use a 777-200ER on the N.Z. to Kuala Lumpar leg but an A380 on the Kuala Lumpar to London legs, only $2,100 That's pretty cheap

BTW I went on to a hotel site for London accomodation.
Today's most amusing price you'll read on here Two weeks in a top suite at the Savoy Hotel (Five Stars of course) $54,000 Kiwi on special
Pretty sure we'll make do with something more modest
If you want to come back through Vancouver give Emirates a call and ask over the phone. You may have a decent outcome. I once priced up Brisbane - London - Brisbane with Virgin Atlantic. I could have added a side trip to New York from London and back to London before heading back to Brisbane for $350.
Emirates are very good although dont be set on flying them on the looks of their first class cabin alone if your not actually going to be sitting up there. Im also not sure I would pay the significant extra just for the A380. In cattle class its all the same. As some one already said, take some good comfortable headphones with a standard 3.5mm jack and sink a few freebie drinks. Last Emirates trip I did I was on my own and got sat next to family of 4, Mum, Dad, small kid in 3 seats and Baby in a bassinet on the partition wall. I got shitfaced and fell asleep watching The Goonies.

Malaysian airlines have a good reputation and have had friends all have pleasant trips with them. Doing a quick search for return flights from Auckland they are about $200NZ cheaper than anyone else. Although the next cheapest was an Air NZ/Virgin Atlantic combo which would probably be my choice. Also theres a possible stop over in San Fran. A bit longer flights though.
http://www.skyscanner.net/flights/ak...013.html?flt=1
The Work Truck

2 users like this post:
Old 27-04-2013, 12:07 AM   #21
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny View Post
I'd be happy on a 330-340, a 777, or a 380.

All (but Lufthansa) who use 747's or still have them left are rocking the last gen 747-400, most of which will be getting on 20 years old now. Correct me if wrong.

A Lufthansa 747-8I I would love to try out to see what they've done with the old girl
Flew to Germany in 1988 in one of them ... so they have been around for more than 20 years.
Mechan1k is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-04-2013, 08:49 AM   #22
Rodge
Banned

Thanks guys for your great advice. I'm a big fella, built like an All Black front row forward so I think a common sense approach is to look for a really good special on a premium economy basis. I've never travelled further than Perth from Auckland so when it happens this will be the trip of a lifetime so we want it to be special. We need to get another duck in a row before doing anything and there's no rush.

Interesting seat configuration on Air N.Z.'s premium economy, I guess a little T.V folds out of the arm of the seat on each side ? Not sure about the recline angle with offset seating like this, wouldn't the seats recline into each other limiting the seat back angle and impeeding sleep to some extent ? Look reasonably wide though although these celebreties are both small sized people....
http://www.stuff.co.nz/travel/intern...onomy-worth-it
They use the 777-300 ER planes...not so sure about those twin engined planes but I guess if you're number's up, its up. At times the premium economy to London can be as low as ~ $3,000 Kiwi. As has been suggested if normal economy on an all A380 service is $3,000 and there's apparently no premium economy option on them WTF ???? might as well try and get premium economy seats on a 777 for about the same money.

P.S. I know a licenced aircraft maintenance engineer who works on the jet engines at Air N.Z's base and was talking to him the other day. We got taking about planes, funny that,... anyway he told me that at takeoff thrust a fully laden 747-400 burns 191 litres of jet fuel per minute, per engine !!!! Just as well that's split 400 ways ...and I thought my SC V8 was hard on fuel...

Last edited by Rodge; 27-04-2013 at 08:56 AM. Reason: Add an interesting story about fuel burn
Old 27-04-2013, 09:01 AM   #23
cs123
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Can't think of anyone more deserving. Russ Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For all the technical support behind the scenes. Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Technical submission 

Quote:
P.S. I know a licenced aircraft maintenance engineer who works on the jet engines at Air N.Z's base and was talking to him the other day. We got taking about planes, funny that,... anyway he told me that at takeoff thrust a fully laden 747-400 burns 191 litres of jet fuel per minute, per engine !!!! Just as well that's split 400 ways ...and I thought my SC V8 was hard on fuel...
Flying out of LAX or SFO on a 747 back to Australia, those things are so heavy you wonder if it'll ever get off the ground.
Old 27-04-2013, 09:28 AM   #24
rancidpunx
FPV GTR

Quote:
Interesting seat configuration on Air N.Z.'s premium economy, I guess a little T.V folds out of the arm of the seat on each side ? Not sure about the recline angle with offset seating like this, wouldn't the seats recline into each other limiting the seat back angle and impeeding sleep to some extent ? Look reasonably wide though although these celebreties are both small sized people....
http://www.stuff.co.nz/travel/intern...onomy-worth-it
That does look interesting. Emirates seating cocoons you sort of as well. If I remember correctly when I searched last night PE with ANZ/Vir it was $4800NZ return. Thats pretty good value.
The Work Truck

Old 27-04-2013, 10:44 AM   #25
irdonn
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I find travelling on the 380 to not dry my eyes and skin out nearly as much as previous long hauls on other birds. It is also much quieter, but economy is economy on any aircraft.

As suggested australianfrequentflyer.com.au is your friend. A decent set of noise cancelling headphones and a shower at your port of stop over helps.

Also look at options to pay a bit extra for leg room. I had a great flight in December beween Singapore and London in 66A on a QF 380. Paid an extra $80 and it made the 14 hours that much more comfortable.

You won't find premium economy on any Emirates aircraft. I haven't had any experience flying them but I'm not keen on their 3-4-3 seating arrangement on the 777. I'd hate to get stuck in the middle flying solo.

Business class is always going to be better but I'd much rather suck it up down the back and splurge at my destination.
Old 27-04-2013, 11:53 AM   #26
Rodge
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by rancidpunx View Post
That does look interesting. Emirates seating cocoons you sort of as well. If I remember correctly when I searched last night PE with ANZ/Vir it was $4800NZ return. Thats pretty good value.
Doesn't it !! I reckon if we could nab a couple of those for $3,000 a pop and have good stope-overs each way that would be the go... but Air N.Z. havn't got any of the new A380's yet so it would be 777 there and back. Still a good deal I reckon. I wonder if there's any cheap Dreamliner flights going cheap
Old 27-04-2013, 11:59 AM   #27
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Rodge, try to be very flexible with your dates (+/- several days). The times I flew the 380 it was just the default plane, and the cheapest option available to me.

I always check in early and request the fire exit seats. Say you have a circulation or bladder problem that requires you to be up and down constantly and you don't want to brother the people next to you.

Like I said, if you have the time spend 3 or 4 nights in Dubai. Amazing place, heaps to do and if you or the other half like shopping you will be spoilt for choice. Emirates didn't charge me extra for the exteded stopover much like Singapore doesn't to stay in Singapore.

Old 27-04-2013, 12:11 PM   #28
Rodge
Banned

^^ Thanks mate. yeah I think we could just "cope" with slumming it here for a few days http://www.hotelscombined.co.nz/Hote...s_The_Palm.htm
Doesn't seem outrageously priced, would love to stay at the Burdg or however you spell that but rooms start at 1,700 $U.S. a night
Old 27-04-2013, 12:18 PM   #29
rancidpunx
FPV GTR

Quote:
Doesn't it !! I reckon if we could nab a couple of those for $3,000 a pop and have good stope-overs each way that would be the go... but Air N.Z. havn't got any of the new A380's yet so it would be 777 there and back. Still a good deal I reckon. I wonder if there's any cheap Dreamliner flights going cheap
The flights I was looking at were only Air NZ to Sydney, then Virgin to London. and were only $2400 each way. I will see if I can find the link.

Edit: Found it http://www.virgin-atlantic.com/gb/en...tion=Undefined $4894 return Premium Economy with Air NZ and Virgin Atlantic.
The Work Truck

Old 27-04-2013, 12:27 PM   #30
tweeked
N/A all the way

My tip is buy your flights and if you can select seats (or pay for it if you dont have the Frequent Flyer level) go here - http://www.seatguru.com/
and do your homework

tweeked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post: