Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Ford Forums Central > Site Support

Site Support If something isn't working or you have a suggestion ( a nice one !! ) let us know here.

Old 26-09-2005, 06:05 PM   #1
parawolf
beep beep

Default New Sub Forum?

Hi Guys, Hopefully this post is slightly less rambling than my last site-support one....

I believe we need and there is a place for a new 'tightly regulated' sub forum. This could be used to discuss things that could be put in place to assist all users of Australian roads.

I figure that it could be something as simple as a Sub-Forum called "Road Safety". It wouldn't be a forum to mouth off hoons on the road, but a proactive discussion place about how to improve all facet's of road use. I'll bring it up in the Site-Support forum, please comment when you can.

We need less "A Current Affair" or "Today Tonight" discussion and viewpoint on things and more constructed viewpoints which are evenly balanced. Forums like these tend to be either you ACA/TT focus on lunatics in other cars, or bashing up commentary on Police/VicRoads/RTA/whoever in regards to road rules, speed limits and restrictions and infringement details.

I put it to one of our new users "keepleft" who seems to have some kind of political/relational standpoint on such things and also thought it was an idea of some merit.

If this person is who they say that are, perhaps we could persuade them or other members of experienced road safety background (VicRoads/RTA/whatever) to do perhaps weekly or fortnight commentary (almost 'blog' style).

So who thinks such a forum to fly?

Old 26-09-2005, 06:51 PM   #2
klawsterfobik
Bad Music and Litre Bikes

I think its a good idea... but just reading FPVGT's thread about his second crash, and even after the informative (albeit noncompassionate) advice given by KeepLeft the responses from the majority of posters in the thread would in my opinion deminish what has been said by KeepLeft unfortunately.

Great idea, but i dont think it would get off the ground. Aussie mindset of US v's The Law will kill any advice given.

Feel free to prove me wrong.
Anyway. Enough reality, back to the topic.
klawsterfobik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-09-2005, 07:57 PM   #3
XA-Coupe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

My biggest concern would be any advice posted and the repercussions if someone misinterprets the advice or is just given the wrong advice by one of the bush lawyers that abound here.
I am not saying no outright but the idea really opens us up to a lot of trouble. I wouldn't blame someone for launching legal action if they were given wrong advice.. unfortunately any action would be aimed at this site... and the owners. .
XA-Coupe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-09-2005, 08:38 PM   #4
parawolf
beep beep

Very true XACoupe, very true.

I was not really looking for 'advice' or legal representation but hopefully to attract input perhaps from people like the organisers of the John Bowe Institute of Driving, or other driving schools. Perhaps to could deliver submission infomation to marketing/public relations from VicRoads/RTA whatever and they could provide information in regards to what they are doing to improve roads or traffic patterns etc. It could provide perhaps a valuable two way dialog between traffic authorities and the end users.

This would then also provide a valid conduit for things like the Brake Test that Russellw submitted to the technical resources.

Perhaps it could also be run on a 'censored' submission process?

Just some thoughts...
Old 26-09-2005, 09:10 PM   #5
XA-Coupe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Whilst I see where you care coming from, I don't know that people from JB ( as an example ) would have the time or inclination to deal with the constant attention a forum like that would need.
I also have to say that perhaps driving schools on their own wouldn't have much clout. Someone who can get the stats and interpret them in a logical manner that actually proves their opinion or submission would be needed. Not to mention a public face with the time and inclination to push the ideas with the media. With few exceptions we have a lot of people here with all sorts of opinions with absolutely nothing to back them up with. Even if you are right, you have zero credibility without stats.

What is needed IMO is an independant organisation made up of responsible internet forums, driving schools, car clubs and other interested parties with the ability and desire to get on with the job. Too many people just complain but don't have the wherewithall to get serious.
Then come the internal politics of an organisation as well as logisitcal problems of being dispersed as people would be. Nothing impossible to overcome but it won't be easy.

I know that there are people that read the forums from the media as well as other 'interested' parties ( like the police, EPA and RTA ). To gain credibility with these people we need to detach from the hype and general complaining and actually come up with something serious and professional. If we don't, we are nothing more than whining dogs at someone's back door step.

If there is enough genuine interest it may get off the ground but it'll take a lot of tenacity on behalf of the individuals concerned.

If I sound a bit negative, I saw what happened with the firearm laws in australia. Too many egos got in the way of what was needed and we all got shafted in the end.
Old 26-09-2005, 09:32 PM   #6
parawolf
beep beep

I understand where you are coming from as well perfectly well. And yes it would have to be done very tentatively.

I guess that is kind of where it could be done on a 'professional' submission basis only which users that can comment without the expectation of a return comment. Almost like a blog from various road safety professionals.

Perhaps this is where there is a need for something like the car equivalent of www.dba.org.au where the members are from all parts of tv broadcasting society. Perhaps it should be made up of people from wheels magazine, motor magazine, vicroads, rta, (other states) various state police departments and the EPA.

Could it work? maybe... perhaps ff.com.au isn't the right spot for such a forum.
Old 26-09-2005, 09:45 PM   #7
XA-Coupe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

It could work and though I don't see AFF as the right spot, we would certainly be part of it and help it along.
It needs someone to get the ball rolling. It would need someone to figure out who would be the right sort of organisation to propose the idea to and then for someone to start contacting them.
Old 27-09-2005, 04:45 PM   #8
Tote
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

If Harold Scruby can get the pedestrian council up as a respected "authority" anything should be possible. Unfortunately most people in here have other things in their lives to worry about.
Regards,
Tote
Tote is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-09-2005, 05:47 PM   #9
parawolf
beep beep

Quote:
Originally Posted by XA Coupe
It could work and though I don't see AFF as the right spot, we would certainly be part of it and help it along.
It needs someone to get the ball rolling. It would need someone to figure out who would be the right sort of organisation to propose the idea to and then for someone to start contacting them.
Well I figure that the right point to start would be the federal minister for transport - if you want to have it on an Australian level. That would be the correct level to propose the idea to.