Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Ford Forums Central > Site Support

Site Support If something isn't working or you have a suggestion ( a nice one !! ) let us know here.

Old 13-09-2005, 07:49 PM   #1
Bucknaked
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Ability to modify all or any part of your thread

Sometimes when you start a thread and ask for input or suggestions on your problem or idea, people often come in and hijack it or post nothing of relevance and the original thread gets lost. Yeah I know this accuratley describes half of my posts. Anyway, why can't we have the access to edit the threads that only the creator of the thread can modify. So if you see posts that are getting off track or which are useless in your thread, then you can delete them or modify them and even close them. Restricted access to only edit your thread.

Anyway, an idea

Bucknaked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-09-2005, 08:02 PM   #2
Kryton

sure would be good but you could go too far i guess in the right circumstances.
or you could even re word someones post to make them sound stupid or whatever you wanted them to.
then also one persons idea of irrelevance may not be someone elses.
Kryton is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-09-2005, 08:06 PM   #3
RED_EL_XR8
Banned

Its a public forum and every member is entitled to post while they stay within the guidlines, this can be frustrating, we all have post we'd love ripped down. If you have a problem ask any of the moderators, if the cant help directly they will action it with those that can.

I can see what you are asking for but I believe it would open the floodgates for the one-eyed and the fanatics.

If you have problems with a moderator ask another moderator, those who have problems with everyone should just have a bex and a good lie down.

As for editing other peoples posts, that isn't going to happen.
RED_EL_XR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-09-2005, 08:16 PM   #4
Bucknaked
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Fair enuf. Even if you can delete a post that is unacceptable, then i think its a good thing.

Anyway, its just an idea.
Old 13-09-2005, 08:21 PM   #5
b2tf
not here much anymore

you just want your name in Bold Bucky - admit it! :
Old 13-09-2005, 08:24 PM   #6
Paxton
Cobblers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucknaked
Fair enuf. Even if you can delete a post that is unacceptable, then i think its a good thing.

Anyway, its just an idea.
The problem with deleting a post, compared with splitting a thread is the fact that deleting a thread REMOVES IT completely from the database. There is no way of recovering the thread. In other words, it is gone FOREVER. Splitting a thread to a trash forum (I guess one exists here) allows it to be kept on the database, and can be re-inserted at any time. The problem with a general user having this power, even in their own thread allows them the power to delete ANYTHING from their thread. Say I post how much I hate a certain idea, and the starting member wants the thread to only have positive responses, he can delete my thread, which will make me slightly aggravated.

Hope this gives you some idea of the reasons why a general user CAN NOT get those powers.

-Andrew
Roses are red. Violets are blue. OS X rocks. Homage to you.
Paxton is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-09-2005, 08:27 PM   #7
Bucknaked
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by back2thefutura
you just want your name in Bold Bucky - admit it! :
No need. I changed every windows font to bold, so my name is always bolded. :nutsycuck
Old 13-09-2005, 08:30 PM   #8
Bucknaked
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by paxtonandrew
The problem with deleting a post, compared with splitting a thread is the fact that deleting a thread REMOVES IT completely from the database. There is no way of recovering the thread. In other words, it is gone FOREVER. Splitting a thread to a trash forum (I guess one exists here) allows it to be kept on the database, and can be re-inserted at any time. The problem with a general user having this power, even in their own thread allows them the power to delete ANYTHING from their thread. Say I post how much I hate a certain idea, and the starting member wants the thread to only have positive responses, he can delete my thread, which will make me slightly aggravated.

Hope this gives you some idea of the reasons why a general user CAN NOT get those powers.

-Andrew
No thats cool. I understand. I guess it gets a little messy after a while and could be bad for the forums.
Old 13-09-2005, 10:30 PM   #9
Laminge
Cuban... nothing like it

There is always the little report button so at least it goes to all mods of that forum.
Laminge is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post