Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Laser and Telstar

Old 30-08-2006, 01:59 AM   #1
rmoody100
Starter Motor

Default Laser Kh 1990 problems.

I've just bought a 1990 kh laser (manual, gl 1.6) from a dealer with a months rego. This is not something I would normally do but I was pretty desperate for a small car and the price was right. Body has no rust, the interior is nice and it's a very smooth feeling car. Plus it's about twice as good on fuel economy as my old van which I will continue to use once repaired (the reason for getting the laser).

There are a few problems with it and I'd like a bit of input on them if anyone would be so kind. It has to pass rego on the 24th. I've never been to fond of going to a mechanic but I will if I have to. I haven't really looked into any of these problems yet but I'm sure some are easier to fix than others. My mechanical abilities are better than basic but not up to the full engine rebuild level (I've tried it once - not worth the time and effort).

The temperature guage is all over the place - I'm thinking it's a loose connection. It reads when still, but the slightest movement bounces the needle between reading and nothing.

The highbeam control doesn't work - works for momentary (lever towards me) but normal highbeam doesn't work (something wrong in the control stick).

The interior fan doesn't work.

Now the big problem. There is a very slight oil leak on the joint between the engine and the gearbox, right at the bottom of the engine. It isn't a big problem but I need to fix it to pass rego. I've attempted the basic stop leak type stuff and it has no effect. Is there a quick and dirty method (aryldite?) that will keep the oil leak in check without actually replacing the seal? If not, what would this be likely to cost me to get fixed? (I could attempt it myself but I can't see that happening with my current scedule).

If anyone can give me an idea of any of these problems it would be much appreciated.

Thanks

rmoody100 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-08-2006, 03:05 AM   #2
dirty hands
Over Thinker

any good mechanic will spot a cover up anyway
a day before inspection
fill in behind the clutch/flywheel inspection plate with kitty litter or similar oil soakage product
then seal up the inspection plate with sellys black silicon gasket maker
clean it up so no silicon is visable (this wont stop the leak)

hope you dont have broken engine mounts or torn CV boots or other problems

To fix properly
for a mechanic to do this its gearbox out and fit new rear engine seal ( $400 at a quess /a days work )
interior fan problem maybe a resistor or a fuse
high/ low beam switch will need a second hand unit from a wrecker
temp guage is as you suggest a dry solder join broken wire or a faulty sender unit in the instrument panel you can buy a cheap temp guage/sender from any auto supply shop
Old 30-08-2006, 08:38 AM   #3
rmoody100
Starter Motor

I won't worry about the kitty litter / gasket maker idea - I was wondering if there was a fix available, not interested in a coverup. (there isn't much oil - but I want to get it fixed - I don't want to go through the same coverup every year).

I'll be checking most of the things this weekend (I can't see not being able to fix any of the problems short of the rear engine seal),

I only spent $900 on the car so $400 odd dollars sounds doable for a proper fix.

Can anyone recommend a reliable and not overpriced mechanic in either the petersham, lane cove or lower blue mountains areas of Sydney?
rmoody100 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post