Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Fiesta, Festiva and Ka

Old 19-05-2009, 04:46 PM   #1
stukor
Starter Motor

Default Help for 96 Festiva 1.3Lefi auto motor stall and clicking sounds

HELP PLEASE!!!!!!
Have a 1996 Festiva which goes for 5 minutes or so and decides to stop and all the injectors and electricals under the bonnet are clicking away together with the engine cooling fan going up and down in speed.
Have checked for 'some ' earths and volts which appear ok.
Battery volts and start volts are fine.
Fuel pump and delivery is fine [even with the clicking process chautling away happily under the bonnet..which shouldn't be!]
Have put scan tool on. The engine will run [at a slower speed....no codes revealed...but, is scantool taking the earth path for the motor to run better?]
I suspect the computer [to have so many functions in operation] as a fault.
There are a lot of Festiva computer numbers on the computer housing. Does anybody have the correct part no. for this festiva Trio 3dr hatch??
Regards from stukor.

stukor is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-05-2009, 10:11 PM   #2
stukor
Starter Motor

This festiva has a new battery now and has helped worsen the problem.
Turn on , start motor , motor badly runs and ,after a minute or two, this clicking starts from the injector /airbox area with the ignition still on...... THEN the cooling fan runs full bore. Have tried to restart motor [[no injector pulse at this stage]..so no start...cooling fan seems to be the key, as when it stops the car can be started and away we go with the same problem for the next one /two minutes.
Cooling temp sensor is at 20C and measures the correct 2.81K ohms.
Have checked computer for no visible faults to circuit board , no loose terminals.
ALL Help will be greatly valued.
Old 02-06-2009, 12:26 AM   #3
stukor
Starter Motor

Car is now running perfectly.
Old 02-10-2009, 11:19 PM   #4
Flash Rat
Starter Motor

So what was the problem we have one doing the same. Thanx brian
Flash Rat is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-10-2009, 11:38 PM   #5
stukor
Starter Motor

Hi Brian,
I have just read through my "report" for assistance with that 1996 Festiva.
I replaced the computer under the RHF kick panel [after you remove the fuel control relay to gain access, as computer comes out on an angle due to the mount leg of the computer] ..had it tested [costs around $75 + in/out postage.. and this is not charged if you need computer] as i could not visually tell any damage to the computer.
I renewed the coolant temp sensor switch [ watch you do not have damage to the wiring socket as it is in a confined spot - you can remove items to gain access,but I just use a crowfoot type tool.
The relief is "success!" as there were too many non identifiable separate problems that were occurring AND the computer was UNREPAIRABLE as the post mortem result disclosed .Actually, in this case be prepared that you may have several $100's that you may have to pay for a core unit.if your unit is unrepairable.
Auto recyclers / Festiva owners may have a good known unit - I would go reconditioned unit again though with the improved, guaranteed version.
Trust this helps. Regards to all from stukor.