Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 14-07-2015, 11:20 AM   #1
mawarider
Starter Motor

Smile Do you use voice control while driving?

Hi everyone!
We are researchers from UNSW currently conducting a study on Pattern of Use of Voice Control Interfaces by Drivers in Australia. If you use smartphone voice control interface such as Siri or in-vehicle voice control system such as SYNC, and interested in this study, please click on the link provided below. Your help is very much appreciated. Thanks a lot!
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Distracted driving: who uses voice control devices, when and why?

Operating a mobile phone while driving has been found to be distracting, yet in NSW, since January 2014, on average, 1000 fines have been issued each day to drivers who use hand-held mobile phones while driving. Voice control interfaces such as in-vehicle voice control (e.g. Ford SYNC) and smartphone voice control capabilities (e.g. Siri in the iPhone) have the potential to reduce distraction and improve driving performance. However, little is known about which drivers use these interfaces and how they interact with them.
This online survey attempts to understand drivers’ interactions with voice control devices and their possible (positive or negative) impacts on safety. First we need to know about who uses voice control interfaces while driving, what they are used for, and how often they are used.

You can access the online survey at http://www.surveys.unsw.edu.au/f/159929/204b/

For further queries, contact Nurul Ikhmar Ibrahim at n.ibrahim@student.unsw.edu.au
or Dr Carlo Caponecchia at carloc@unsw.edu.au or 02 93857184
mawarider is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-07-2015, 11:36 AM   #2
rex351

Don't use the voice control in my Ranger, it doesn't recognize commands and when it does there are too many needed to get the required function. Easier to just push the button on the dash.
rex351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 14-07-2015, 11:41 AM   #3
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Default Re: Do you use voice control while driving?

Nope, it's useless in my focus IMO.
- Twin 2.5" Stainless Exhaust
- Antz Turboside Intake
- CCForged Phatlux wheels
- Tuned by LS Tuning and Performance
DJM83 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-07-2015, 11:46 AM   #4
mawarider
Starter Motor

Thanks rex351 and DJM83. I know a lot of people has bad experience with voice control. My study is to explore why people use or don't use voice control. Would you kindly participate in my survey by clicking on the link provided. Thank you very much for your help.
mawarider is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-07-2015, 12:22 PM   #5
aussiblue
FG XR6 Ute & Sedan
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Has been floating around the oze tech section for a long time and is always there to give advice when people have an issue. 

I try to use it as much as possible with my Navman and hand free phone system in my XR6 as I have "Zombie Fingers" and I can usually get no response from touch screen on my Navman or the ICC unit while driving. Unfortunately, I also talk with a slight lisp and have a hearing issue that makes words like "free" and "three" sound the same so I pronounce both as "free". In any event, I don't get the right respond from many voice commands either. If I have a passenger I end up relaying my voice commands through them.

I live in fear of being hospitalised and being given an emergency nurse call device that is touch screen and/or voice command (my Mother in Law is in an aged person's home and has a touch screen nurse call device). While I have always been an early adopter of new technology these issues are causing me increasing difficulties.

If you haven't heard of "Zombie Fingers" See http://www.technologybloggers.org/te...zombie-finger/ http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/n...eens/index.htm
http://www.moneytalksnews.com/touchy...ombie-fingers/.

Wetting the tips of fingers only helps sometimes with my "zombie fingers" and you soon end up with a very grubby screen.
Old 14-07-2015, 02:09 PM   #6
Big_Daz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I don't use it on my 6 that often,... Not because its crap (its actually a really good system) I just forget the car has the feature half the time...lol

Hers: 2024 Ford Everest Platinum in Equinox Bronze
His Daily: 2020 (MY21) Kia Sorento GT-Line in Mineral Blue
His Weekender: 2017 Commodore SSV Redline manual in Light My Fire Orange
Big_Daz is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-07-2015, 02:17 PM   #7
nappa8
Starter Motor

I use for every call I make in my ST. I find the SYNC voice control to be the best I have used across a number of manufacturers.
nappa8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-07-2015, 02:40 PM   #8
poppa smurf
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

she who would be the possessor of all things shiny uses in vehicle, voice control constantly.......but only toward my good self and only when I am the driver and she is the co-pilot.

I dooded your survey thingy as well........barrell full of luck with your studies.

G'day....I'm Dave, ...everyone calls me Poppa,..05.. B.A. Fairmont mark II...

may your day's be filled with smiles, your life be filled with love, may your children know nothing but happiness and joy, cherish the memory of those who strove before us for they cleared the way, spare a thought for those who serve we owe so much to so many, life and the freedom to enjoy it is a special gift that can be taken away far too soon!
poppa smurf is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 14-07-2015, 07:29 PM   #9
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For the excellent car-care guide 

Never.
By the time I have managed to get the thing to do what I want, its just easier and quicker to just do it myself.
Mustang GT

T3 TS50 - gone but not forgotten
DFB FGXR6 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post